gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:58:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is there an appreciation thread for The Beach Boys In Concert [1973]  (Read 8329 times)
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 02:49:33 PM »

It will be interesting to see how the In Concert album is treated over the next 2 years. The album used a mix of tracks recorded in 72 & 73. I'd like to think we see a 72 copyright extension using the rejected single album disk plus other tracks recorded at the 72 shows then something more substantial in 2023 with the full In Concert covered - or maybe next year we get a couple of full shows, then a respectful In Concert release in 2023 - it will be interesting.
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2021, 06:32:34 PM »

Insert Quote
It will be interesting to see how the In Concert album is treated over the next 2 years. The album used a mix of tracks recorded in 72 & 73. I'd like to think we see a 72 copyright extension using the rejected single album disk plus other tracks recorded at the 72 shows then something more substantial in 2023 with the full In Concert covered - or maybe next year we get a couple of full shows, then a respectful In Concert release in 2023 - it will be interesting.

I hope you are correct - I would love an extended In Concert including Wild Honey, Do It Again, Jumpin Jack Flash, etc.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 01:12:55 AM »

The first, rejected version of the album would be one of my first wishes for a "In Concert" archive release, too. "Heroes & Viallains" on the "Endless Harmony"-soundtrack sounds incredible (both playing and sound-wise). Plus it would give us songs we have no official live release of yet, like - IIRC - "You need a Mess of Help" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 06:10:26 AM »

I think You Need a Mess of Help is one of their most underrated tunes - it's super catchy and has great swagger.  I've also been trying to find a live version of that tune as well, but all I've found so far are voice overs from European TV shows.  I knew that Jumpin' Jack Flash was to be the last track when it was planned to be a single disc - does anyone have the full track listing for the proposed single disc In Concert?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:17:02 AM by hongkongcrowe » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »

I believe it was this (I stand to be corrected)

Side A:
1. Wouldn't it Be Nice
2. Leaving This Town
3. Heroes and Villains
4. Marcella
5. You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone

Side B:
1. Let the Wind Blow
2. Do it Again
3. Wild Honey
4. Fun, Fun, Fun
5. Jumpin' Jack Flash

Its possible that Marcella, Let The Wind Blow, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Don't Worry Baby could be the same recordings as the 73 In Concert release as it used 72 recordings of those tracks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 03:54:13 PM by TonyW » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2021, 04:59:28 PM »

Here's a thought: The Carnegie Hall show from 1972 exists in full in the BB archive (as per Howie Edelson http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=7795.20 ) as such unless they do something with this show before the end of 2022 the "half a show" in wide bootleg circulation will fall into the hands of the grey market/bootleggers - of course "do something" could include a 10 or 15 second snippet of each tracks done as a teaser for something substantial in 2023.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2021, 05:47:45 PM »

i had a test pressing of the single lp version of in concert. It was warped and would skip when played. that version of the lp was not very good overall. be thankful they had to redo the lp as a double lp. some of the songs were great. esp wild honey (much better than the one on mic) and jumpin’ jack flash those two rocked. mess of help was good also. releasing it as the single disc would have been a big mistake.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 10:48:20 PM »

Wow - I wonder how many test pressings they let out.  I recall seeing a photo somewhere of it as a single disc. 

I agree that with that song lineup it would have not been as popular without more hits.  How was the version of Do It Again?  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:55:26 PM by hongkongcrowe » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 01:18:35 AM »

i had a test pressing of the single lp version of in concert. It was warped and would skip when played. that version of the lp was not very good overall. be thankful they had to redo the lp as a double lp. some of the songs were great. esp wild honey (much better than the one on mic) and jumpin’ jack flash those two rocked. mess of help was good also. releasing it as the single disc would have been a big mistake.

That's interesting! Just by looking at the tracklist from above, the released version beats the original just by the amounts of songs, obviously. "Heroes & Viallains" was released on the "Endless Harmony" soundtrack and sounded fantastic - and still does. Another interesting point to note: Looks like Sunflower and In Concert both show that the Boys sometimes had to be told by "outsiders" to go back and do it again (no pun!) for them to come up with something great instead of something good.
That said, should there be a In Concert deluxe edition or something similar, I think the original version should be included (that is only the songs that were not used on the released version obviously) along with other "live" bonus tracks that were recorded during this periode, and then on another disc a complete show - possibly the Carnegie Hall concert as TonyW mentioned.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2021, 06:01:19 PM »

Its possible to put together a “Deluxe” In Concert using available soundboard recording (well mostly soundboard). Here’s my Deluxe In Concert with the source/comments in parenthesise. It’s a great listen and pretty reflective of many of the set lists from the time – Ladies and gentlemen for your listening pleasure:

1.   Sail On Sailor (In Concert ‘73)
2.   Sloop John B (In Concert ‘73
3.   The Trader (In Concert ’73)
4.   You Still Believe In Me (In Concert ’73)
5.   California Girls (In Concert ’73)
6.   Darlin’ (In Concert ’73)
7.   Marcella (In Concert ’73)
8.   Caroline No (In Concert ’73)
9.   Leaving This Town (In Concert ’73)
10.   Heroes & Villains (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / From rejected ’72 album)
11.   Funky Pretty (In Concert ’73)
12.   Long Promised Road (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / Carnegie Hall ’72)
13.   Surf’s Up (You Tube rip from Dutch radio broadcast ’72? / Slightly low sound quality but pretty good – does not spoil the audio flow)
14.   God Only Knows (Carnegie Hall ’72)
15.   California (Carnegie Hall ’72)
16.   Only With You (Carnegie Hall ’72)
17.   Let The Wind Blow (In Concert ’73)
18.   Help Me Rhonda (Made In California / New Jersey ’72- finally get Dennis on In Concert!)
19.   Surfer Girl (In Concert ’73)
20.   Wouldn’t It Be Nice (In Concert ’73)
21.   We Got Love (In Concert ’73)
22.   It’s About Time (Made In California / Chicago ’73)
23.   Wonderful/Don’t Worry Bill (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / Carnegie Hall ’72)
24.   Don’t Worry Baby (In Concert ’73)
25.   Surfin’ USA (In Concert ’73)
26.   Wild Honey (Made In California / New Jersey ’72)
27.   Good Vibrations (In Concert ’73)
28.   Fun Fun Fun (In Concert ’73)
29.   Bonus: I’ve Got A Friend (Dutch Radio Broadcast / Low Sound Quality)

Obviously after Feel Flow release an upgraded and official Surf’s Up will be welcome addition.
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2021, 06:13:06 PM »

edit: never mind
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 06:14:54 PM by thr33 » Logged
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2021, 09:10:11 PM »

1.   Sail On Sailor (In Concert ‘73)
2.   Sloop John B (In Concert ‘73
3.   The Trader (In Concert ’73)
4.   You Still Believe In Me (In Concert ’73)
5.   California Girls (In Concert ’73)
6.   Darlin’ (In Concert ’73)
7.   Marcella (In Concert ’73)
8.   Caroline No (In Concert ’73)
9.   Leaving This Town (In Concert ’73)
10.   Heroes & Villains (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / From rejected ’72 album)
11.   Funky Pretty (In Concert ’73)
12.   Long Promised Road (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / Carnegie Hall ’72)
13.   Surf’s Up (You Tube rip from Dutch radio broadcast ’72? / Slightly low sound quality but pretty good – does not spoil the audio flow)
14.   God Only Knows (Carnegie Hall ’72)
15.   California (Carnegie Hall ’72)
16.   Only With You (Carnegie Hall ’72)
17.   Let The Wind Blow (In Concert ’73)
18.   Help Me Rhonda (Made In California / New Jersey ’72- finally get Dennis on In Concert!)
19.   Surfer Girl (In Concert ’73)
20.   Wouldn’t It Be Nice (In Concert ’73)
21.   We Got Love (In Concert ’73)
22.   It’s About Time (Made In California / Chicago ’73)
23.   Wonderful/Don’t Worry Bill (Endless Harmony Soundtrack / Carnegie Hall ’72)
24.   Don’t Worry Baby (In Concert ’73)
25.   Surfin’ USA (In Concert ’73)
26.   Wild Honey (Made In California / New Jersey ’72)
27.   Good Vibrations (In Concert ’73)
28.   Fun Fun Fun (In Concert ’73)
29.   Bonus: I’ve Got A Friend (Dutch Radio Broadcast / Low Sound Quality)
30.   You Need A Mess Of Help to Stand Alone [from original single disc In Concert -73]
31.   Do It Again [from original single disc In Concert - 73]
32.   Jumpin' Jack Flash [from original single disc In Concert -73]

Thank you for putting this list together!  I've added some of the tunes originally slated for the single disc In Concert.  Are there any other stand out tracks or deep cuts from that era that could also be included?  Thanks for Keepin' This Thread Alive!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:05:48 AM by hongkongcrowe » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2021, 11:17:35 AM »

Speaking of the live tracks from this periode on "Made in California", does anyone know why they sound so strange? IIRC there's so much echo and basically they sound like they were heavily re-done in the studio (not saying that this is the case, they just don't sound like real 'live' recordings to me).

- Jack Rieley
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2021, 06:22:12 PM »

The IN CONCERT of "Funky Pretty" is one of my favorites.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx