gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:02:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A little love for Mr. Love  (Read 26557 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

Ya...maybe Jay.  And maybe Mike blew up the 50th anniversary and continued in his quest to bad-mouth the Wilsons...and Al too...interview after interview after interview just to help sell a few more books.  Maybe as the completion of said book approached and an actual publishing date drew more into frame he stepped up the campaign just to put a few more greenbacks in his pocket.

Maybe indeed.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

What in the flying f*** does that have to do with the topic being discussed? Take your predictable hate speech somewhere else.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2017, 12:06:54 AM »

Why does Mike always have to have an ulterior motive?  Roll Eyes Maybe losing a cousin, brother, and friend was very sobering and gave the entire band a wake up call?
Or maybe he hurt his back or something. I never hear about Mike having health problems, but i'm sure he's had a few. He's got a great work ethic, though.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2017, 01:29:35 AM »

What in the flying f*** does that have to do with the topic being discussed? Take your predictable hate speech somewhere else.

Some of us who have been pushed over the edge by his latest outrage i.e. the ill-timed, solo(!) McGrath-blemished DIA, right on the heels of the glorious Sunshine Tomorrow, are reacting to this equally ill-timed thread with a NIMBY attitude. Yes, we could just refrain from comment and let you ML deniers pat him and each other on the back ad nauseum, or we can express a dissenting opinion. That is what some of us are choosing to do, here and now. If you don't like it, lump it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 01:31:55 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »

Some of us who have been pushed over the edge by his latest outrage i.e. the ill-timed, solo(!) McGrath-blemished DIA, right on the heels of the glorious Sunshine Tomorrow, are reacting to this equally ill-timed thread with a NIMBY attitude. Yes, we could just refrain from comment and let you ML deniers pat him and each other on the back ad nauseum, or we can express a dissenting opinion. That is what some of us are choosing to do, here and now. If you don't like it, lump it.

I thought this thread was supposed to highlight positive aspects of Mr. Love and his contributions to The Beach Boys, not to start a new Love bashing thread.  We have multiple threads for that - see the "does Mike Love realize he's despised by millions" thread above.  Because this thread focusses on positive things about Mike doesn't mean anyone has forgotten or forgiven his bad behavior or past transgressions or personality faults.  It's more like, we all know Mike is a **** but for something different what good things can we say about him?  C'mon, it's a fun fun fun intellectual exercise - rack your brains and come up with something.  Something nice, if you dare.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

I thought this thread was supposed to highlight positive aspects of Mr. Love and his contributions to The Beach Boys, not to start a new Love bashing thread.  We have multiple threads for that - see the "does Mike Love realize he's despised by millions" thread above.  Because this thread focusses on positive things about Mike doesn't mean anyone has forgotten or forgiven his bad behavior or past transgressions or personality faults.  It's more like, we all know Mike is a **** but for something different what good things can we say about him?  C'mon, it's a fun fun fun intellectual exercise - rack your brains and come up with something.  Something nice, if you dare.

Man, I was listening to Surfin' the other night.

How did Mike love think of the "Bom bom dit di dit dip" bass part? So creative. Really carries the tune, actually.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »

Get ahold of yourself if you can. Preferrably in a private area where no one else has to watch you! Honestly, Sunshine Tomorrow is not going to sell millions of copies and win the group countless new fans; I think it was on the Billboard album chart for 1 week. It's manna from heaven for us diehards, that's all. And Mike's DIA single has already been forgotten everywhere but here.
Seriously. There are other things in this mixed up muddled up world in which we live in to be worried about.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:45 AM »

Get ahold of yourself if you can. Preferrably in a private area where no one else has to watch you! Honestly, Sunshine Tomorrow is not going to sell millions of copies and win the group countless new fans; I think it was on the Billboard album chart for 1 week. It's manna from heaven for us diehards, that's all. And Mike's DIA single has already been forgotten everywhere but here.
Seriously. There are other things in this mixed up muddled up world in which we live in to be worried about.

I have very firm hold of "myself", thank you. I just had an overdue reaction to some of the blinder-wearing ML defenders here over the years whom I have never addressed. Also, just because most of the world may be oblivious to DIA, it was another nail in the cumulative coffin of the BB brand's respectablilty as has been said before, and just because most people are not passionate or perceptive enough to care (arguable) doesn't affect me, my opinions or my desire to express them, one way or another. It's fine to have positive opinions about his contributions, which I share, but this thread is ill-timed and there is going to be pushback from some.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:02:18 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
KDS
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2017, 05:36:19 AM »

Man, I was listening to Surfin' the other night.

How did Mike love think of the "Bom bom dit di dit dip" bass part? So creative. Really carries the tune, actually.

Granted the song if pretty primitive now, but for a band's first try, not too shabby. 
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »

JL:

"Man, I was listening to Surfin' the other night.

How did Mike love think of the "Bom bom dit di dit dip" bass part? So creative. Really carries the tune, actually."

This predecessor came to mind (among countless other doo wop bass variations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq2XyiuarTw

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 10:39:30 AM by PS » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »

Doowop 101! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »

JL:

"Man, I was listening to Surfin' the other night.

How did Mike love think of the "Bom bom dit di dit dip" bass part? So creative. Really carries the tune, actually."

This predecessor came to mind (among countless other doo wop bass variations)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq2XyiuarTw

Good catch. If you're going to be influenced, might as well be influenced by the best. That music savvy Mike Love.  Cool Guy
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »

Pick up some best of doo-wop collections, then work back into the vocal group R&B records Alan Freed was spinning in the early and mid 50's on his radio show, then go back even further to The Mills Brothers and other vocal groups from the 40's, and also listen to Arthur Smith's 1945 record "Guitar Boogie" - There is a rich legacy of that kind of bass line used to drive many records before Surfin' and Jan Berry, and you'll find a lot of classic tunes in the process! The Surfin vocal bass line is just one in a long string of those bass patterns.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »

Pick up some best of doo-wop collections, then work back into the vocal group R&B records Alan Freed was spinning in the early and mid 50's on his radio show, then go back even further to The Mills Brothers and other vocal groups from the 40's, and also listen to Arthur Smith's 1945 record "Guitar Boogie" - There is a rich legacy of that kind of bass line used to drive many records before Surfin' and Jan Berry, and you'll find a lot of classic tunes in the process! The Surfin vocal bass line is just one in a long string of those bass patterns.

Reaching the apotheosis of the "Bassman" ethos the next year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZr8iReEqMQ

And we must also account for the Bomp from the year before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXmsLe8t_gg

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx