gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:19:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A little love for Mr. Love  (Read 26552 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »

Mike has never been my favorite Beach Boy, but he has brought me many hours of listening pleasure, in concert and at home on my hi fi. I guess it's easy now to forget how animated he used to be onstage. I remember him jumping on top of Brian's piano in 1983 at the Kingdome. He really was THE showman of the band. Oddly, just one year later when friends and I saw them at the Puyallup Fair, Mike seemed to have slowed down quite a bit.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »

I've never understood how or why Mike's entire demeanor changed onstage. Very weird, indeed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »

More than just Mike. Between 83 and 84 the whole band changed. Dennis died. They dropped the tempos, the arrangements became slathered in keyboards , and everything just slowed down. The polished, sleek, trimmed down package shows of the 80s and 90s began.   Carl was more the cause than Mike. Carl was amazing but like all the BB made some mistakes. Changing the arrangements was one.  Not doing more in the late 90s was another with the cheerleaders.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2017, 02:07:10 AM »

More than just Mike. Between 83 and 84 the whole band changed. Dennis died. They dropped the tempos, the arrangements became slathered in keyboards , and everything just slowed down. The polished, sleek, trimmed down package shows of the 80s and 90s began.   Carl was more the cause than Mike. Carl was amazing but like all the BB made some mistakes. Changing the arrangements was one.  Not doing more in the late 90s was another with the cheerleaders.

Why are we even wasting time with this thread? Aside from his vocal and lyrical contributions up until the mid-'70s or so, which I am very appreciative of and thankful for, the guy is just a totally worthless, annoying dick. End of story IMO.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:09:25 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2017, 04:43:45 AM »

The time wasted, as I said, due to few folks who didn't read with great attention the initial post. It's NateRuvin's fault & nobody. He brought up the same boring narrative about Mike-bashing. It really annoys people & doesn't look too positive for positive ML thread. It's easy like this - if you create positive good-natured thread for fans to say nice things about Mike, accentuate the positive START to FINISH. Repeat - easy. like. this. I'm sure NateRuvin will accept this good advice & use in future. Ditto everybody else.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »

I heard Kokomo while I was grilling out yesterday evening, and its a damn fine summertime pop song. 
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »

Not only can I not love anything Mike Love after 1974, I can't stomach Mike Love after 1974.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2017, 12:55:23 PM »

Just watched Love and Mercy again for the first time since soon after it became available on disc.  This movie is one Brian calls a pretty accurate rendering of what really happened.

With that in mind it would lump Mikey right in there with Murry and Eugene.  3 blind idiots.  See how they ran Brian into a deep freekin' hole?  A pox on their contributions. 

Murry was a jealous wart.  Landy was lost in the clouds of illusion formed only for himself and that 'love' character was just a sniveling, whining little beeyatch.  Ya Brian plummeted...pushed over the edge and left to wallow by deaf, dumb and blind.

Is THAT enough "love" for ya?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »

Just watched Love and Mercy again for the first time since soon after it became available on disc.  This movie is one Brian calls a pretty accurate rendering of what really happened.

With that in mind it would lump Mikey right in there with Murry and Eugene.  3 blind idiots.  See how they ran Brian into a deep freekin' hole?  A pox on their contributions. 

Murry was a jealous wart.  Landy was lost in the clouds of illusion formed only for himself and that 'love' character was just a sniveling, whining little beeyatch.  Ya Brian plummeted...pushed over the edge and left to wallow by deaf, dumb and blind.

But he could grow a heck of a beard, though, right?
KDS
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2017, 03:47:12 PM »

They all could back in the day.  Mike's the only one rocking facial hair these days.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2017, 04:02:56 PM »

Just watched Love and Mercy again for the first time since soon after it became available on disc.  This movie is one Brian calls a pretty accurate rendering of what really happened.

With that in mind it would lump Mikey right in there with Murry and Eugene.  3 blind idiots.  See how they ran Brian into a deep freekin' hole?  A pox on their contributions.  

Murry was a jealous wart.  Landy was lost in the clouds of illusion formed only for himself and that 'love' character was just a sniveling, whining little beeyatch.  Ya Brian plummeted...pushed over the edge and left to wallow by deaf, dumb and blind.

They all could back in the day.  Mike's the only one rocking facial hair these days.

Yeah, well, what about those hats? Ain't nobody who rocks a hat better than the Lovester (especially ones with his name on it).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:03:25 PM by JL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2017, 04:08:14 PM »

Just watched Love and Mercy again for the first time since soon after it became available on disc.  This movie is one Brian calls a pretty accurate rendering of what really happened.

With that in mind it would lump Mikey right in there with Murry and Eugene.  3 blind idiots.  See how they ran Brian into a deep freekin' hole?  A pox on their contributions.  

Murry was a jealous wart.  Landy was lost in the clouds of illusion formed only for himself and that 'love' character was just a sniveling, whining little beeyatch.  Ya Brian plummeted...pushed over the edge and left to wallow by deaf, dumb and blind.

They all could back in the day.  Mike's the only one rocking facial hair these days.

Yeah, well, what about those hats? Ain't nobody who rocks a hat better than the Lovester (especially ones with his name on it).

Al had some pretty boss hats in the late 70s / early 80s.

Bruce and David Marks have followed Mike's lead in recent years with wearing ballcaps.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »

Bruce and David Marks have followed Mike's lead in recent years with wearing ballcaps.

Yup. Mike Love. Always a trendsetter, a true pioneer.  Cool Guy

And just to show that I'm not just here to be sarcastic about Mike Love, I really do enjoy 'Kokomo'. lol
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:12:25 PM by JL » Logged
KDS
« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2017, 04:17:43 PM »

Yup. Mike Love. Always a trendsetter, a true pioneer.  Cool Guy

And just to show that I'm not just here to be sarcastic about Mike Love, I really do enjoy 'Kokomo'. lol

I kinda view Mike like that cheesy uncle we all have (or I might be).

Yeah, I like a lot of later BB Love songs like Kokomo, Still Cruisin, Beaches in Mind, etc
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »

Who again?   Roll Eyes  The cheesy 'uncle' who's always trying to 'make it' with your wife?  Shocked  I want OUT of THAT family photo.  Seems Brian sent him packing too.  There are no pics of dirty Mikey over at BW dot calm on the one  and only page dedicated to Beach Boys music.  'Lovey-dovey' is gone.  Toast.  Struck from the register.  Can't say he doesn't deserve it either.

Is THAT  enough ''love' for ya?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »

Who again?   Roll Eyes  The cheesy 'uncle' who's always trying to 'make it' with your wife?  Shocked  I want OUT of THAT family photo.  Seems Brian sent him packing too.  There are no pics of dirty Mikey over at BW dot calm on the one  and only page dedicated to Beach Boys music.  'Lovey-dovey' is gone.  Toast.  Struck from the register.  Can't say he doesn't deserve it either.

Is THAT  enough ''love' for ya?

KDS and I like 'Kokomo' and several other later Beach Boy songs written by Mike.

What's your favorite Mike Love song? So many to choose from!  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:33:59 PM by JL » Logged
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2017, 09:19:01 PM »

I love everything about Mike except his lyrics that reference other Beach Boys lyrics and his dislike of Brian's musical direction at certain times (which I really dislike about him but it's over now I guess. I just wish he would've kept his mouth shut at certain points, that's about it really). I think Mike is amazing and even though I very much get why a lot of people hate him, I can't imagine the Beach Boys without him and I wouldn't want a Beach Boys without him. And I'm sure after reading this you'll wonder why I bothered posting such a generic post that anyone could've written. I have no answer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:30:38 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2017, 02:54:29 AM »

What does Donald Trump and Mike Love have in common?

Wearing kitsch caps with their name or brand on it. Both of them equally hideous individuals.
I never understood how the cap became acceptable public wear in America outside of sports...I guess it says something about Americans (?)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:55:22 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2017, 04:57:02 AM »

Who again?   Roll Eyes  The cheesy 'uncle' who's always trying to 'make it' with your wife?  Shocked  I want OUT of THAT family photo.  Seems Brian sent him packing too.  There are no pics of dirty Mikey over at BW dot calm on the one  and only page dedicated to Beach Boys music.  'Lovey-dovey' is gone.  Toast.  Struck from the register.  Can't say he doesn't deserve it either.

Is THAT  enough ''love' for ya?

KDS and I like 'Kokomo' and several other later Beach Boy songs written by Mike.

What's your favorite Mike Love song? So many to choose from!  Cool Guy

So many?  Not really.  The nasal thing gets really off-putting way too often.  Let's see... ... ...Lyrically?  That's easy. Warmth of the Sun.  Vocally?  Maybe Here Today?  I've always preferred Brian, Carl, Al, Denny and Blondie lead vocals by a wide and substantial margin.  If Mike sang all of the leads...and if Mike wrote all of the lyrics?  I wouldn't be here.  I'd have been jettisoned by Shut Down Vol 2 or All Summer Long and criminally would have missed Pet Sounds, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower, Surfs Up, Carl and the Passions and Holland...not to mention Good Vibrations/30 Years and eventually SMiLE.  Mike's involvement on TWGTR almost ruins it for me.

And as for Kokomo... ... ...Carl's performance is what makes and saves THAT song.  Yes Terry and Mike lifted it up beyond where John Phillips initially left it gasping for air but it's all about Carl stepping up to the plate and bashing that so/so song out of the park.  

That 'love' guy's nose has been "on the critical list" since day 1.

So there ya have it.  A tiny bit of love for the guy who does it for his "own nourishment and revenge."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:11:48 AM by Add Some » Logged

KDS
« Reply #119 on: August 07, 2017, 05:46:13 AM »

Who again?   Roll Eyes  The cheesy 'uncle' who's always trying to 'make it' with your wife?  Shocked  I want OUT of THAT family photo.  Seems Brian sent him packing too.  There are no pics of dirty Mikey over at BW dot calm on the one  and only page dedicated to Beach Boys music.  'Lovey-dovey' is gone.  Toast.  Struck from the register.  Can't say he doesn't deserve it either.

Is THAT  enough ''love' for ya?

There are plenty of other threads on here for you to make your points about your dislike of Mike Love.  Why not let just one thread about him be positive? 
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2017, 05:53:15 AM »

Because I don't believe that ignorance is bliss.  Besides I just gave him a wee kiss.  [just above your most recent contribution to the 'love fest'.]   OK...maybe it was more of a smack.  He is who he is.  He says what he says.  He's done what he's done.  So let's ignore all that and give him a hug?  f*** THAT!!!  For the grief he slathered all over Brian...over and over and over again...I'm not gonna turn away and let this 1/2 miler do a victory lap.

KDS
« Reply #121 on: August 07, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »

Because I don't believe that ignorance is bliss.  Besides I just gave him a wee kiss.  [just above your most recent contribution to the 'love fest'.]   OK...maybe it was more of a smack.  He is who he is.  He says what he says.  He's done what he's done.  So let's ignore all that and give him a hug?  f*** THAT!!!  For the grief he slathered all over Brian...over and over and over again...I'm not gonna turn away and let this 1/2 miler do a victory lap.

I never said that we should be 100% ignorant to what Mike has done.

But, I don't see the harm in a thread that that focuses on his positive contributions. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2017, 12:54:36 PM »

More than just Mike. Between 83 and 84 the whole band changed. Dennis died. They dropped the tempos, the arrangements became slathered in keyboards , and everything just slowed down. The polished, sleek, trimmed down package shows of the 80s and 90s began.   Carl was more the cause than Mike. Carl was amazing but like all the BB made some mistakes. Changing the arrangements was one.  Not doing more in the late 90s was another with the cheerleaders.
I hadn't noticed different arrangements for the songs in '84, but Mike seemed to have slowed down a lot in one year. My best friend noticed it, too and said "I think Michael is drunk".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:33 PM »

More than just Mike. Between 83 and 84 the whole band changed. Dennis died. They dropped the tempos, the arrangements became slathered in keyboards , and everything just slowed down. The polished, sleek, trimmed down package shows of the 80s and 90s began.   Carl was more the cause than Mike. Carl was amazing but like all the BB made some mistakes. Changing the arrangements was one.  Not doing more in the late 90s was another with the cheerleaders.
I hadn't noticed different arrangements for the songs in '84, but Mike seemed to have slowed down a lot in one year. My best friend noticed it, too and said "I think Michael is drunk".

Could it be that after Denny passed away, it subconsciously made Mike feel less competitive with any other remaining band members for attention/adulation from ladies in the audience, and this led to him behaving differently (more low-key) onstage?   That seems plausible.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 04:47:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »

Why does Mike always have to have an ulterior motive?  Roll Eyes Maybe losing a cousin, brother, and friend was very sobering and gave the entire band a wake up call?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx