gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:38:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A little love for Mr. Love  (Read 26551 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »

There's a whole lotta Mike bashing on this website. But afterall, we are all here because we love The Beach Boys, and Mike is one of the original members, and still plays The Beach Boys music to this day. Let's make a thread of the reasons why we appriciate Mike Love, even if some of us don't have very many reasons.  I'll start us off...

1. Big Sur is a beautiful song
2. His vocals on Fun, Fun, Fun
3. His endurance and ability to perform well even after 50+ years.
4. His lyrics on Warmth of the Sun

That's just to get the ball rolling, but I think there is too much Mike bashing here. I love every Beach Boy, and at the end of the day I think Mike is a pretty talented guy.

(OSD might murder me for this post!!!!)

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »

--Mike Love was instrumental in the Beach Boys' early success.
--He was a good lyric writer for the early phase of their career, including moments of impressive sensitivity.
--He demonstrated some ability, up to 1977, to adapt his lyrics from the original context of the band.
--He is a much better singer than he's often been given credit for being.
--He discovered TM and it has quite probably kept him from doing things that would dwarf those actions that have created so much controversry over the years.
--Regardless of how one might interpret the source of it, he has an incredible work ethic.

Now, that said:

--I don't think BIG SUR is all that great, I think folks throw Mike a bone here because the squeaky wheel eventually gets the grease.
--Mike's vocal on ALL I WANNA DO is much more laudable than FUN, FUN, FUN. There are many other tracks where he is more expressive, interesting, and just as much "in the pocket" as FFF and I'm sure many folks--even OSD--will name many of them here.

I appreciate Nate's idea, even if I don't necessarily agree with some of his points. Of course, others may very likely disagree with the points I've made above.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »

There are lots of things for which we can appreciate Mike Love. The trouble is, for every good lyric he's written or nice lead he's sung, he's said/done at least twice as many idiotic or reprehensible things. That's the problem.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59:09 PM »

All I Wanna Do is my favorite song and Mike vocal of all time. Fun, Fun Fun just popped into my head because I think it's one of his great rock n roll lead vocals, with that classic BBs sound
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »

Dancing and playing the tambourine on stage with the long beard and white robe in the late 60s making him the first member of the Polyphonic Spree!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »

His bottom, so to speak, is virtually flawless in the harmony stack (or paired in duets, like "Devoted to You") throughout their career.

Uncanny, really...(pun intended)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »

Please Let Me Wonder turned out to be possibly the best song in the entire catalog, IMHO. I cannot say one single thing about it that didn't turn out to be absolute perfection.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:40 PM »

Good idea, Nate.

- Mike's ability to work his ass off to support himself and those in his life. The man plays like 100+ shows every year, he interacts with the audience (as he always has from the get go) and always puts on a show that the crowd enjoys.

- the lyrics to Good Vibrations are iconic, and some of the best he ever wrote...some of the best The Beach Boys came out with.

- Mike's bass vocal is a staple to so many Beach Boys songs, I mean, it's what makes me really love some songs....Help Me Rhonda, Cherry Cherry Coupe, She Knows Me Too Well. Without his vocals these songs would be missing something - no doubt they'd still be beautiful, but he adds another element that elevates some songs to another level.

- Mike's stage presence. There was a story about Bono in the early days of U2 when they weren't getting any press at all, no one was listening to their albums apparently, then Bono climbed a wall of amps or something during a Farm Aid tour (?) soon after every rock magazine was talking about them. Then their music started getting real attention. Point being, a frontman can really help bring in an audience and attention. Each of these guys brought something to the stage, and though we make fun of Mike for the chicken dance and other things, he was always interacting keeping the audience laughing. I myself find some live albums annoying because of his stage talk, but without some element of that their shows would be lacking a certain charm.

- 'I Know There's An Answer', probably the one time I am thankful that Mike stepped in to show Brian a way a song could be better. 'Hang Onto Your Ego' - it makes sense as a drug reference, but it is really forced. 'I Know There's An Answer' - there's an answer out there to something. It sounds perfect, and fits the chorus vocals flawlessly. With this as an example I can see why he'd think Brian working with outside writers was an irritation - Mike was perfectly capable of bringing incredible stuff to the table. In Brian's defense, working with other artists is a way to expand creativity, so that makes perfect sense, but it's also easy to see why Mike was angered over it.

- "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue" - ok, this is how Mike should write songs. Dennis sang this thing with conviction, like you can hear the pain in his voice when he sings about the slaughter of animals in the ocean. Its a shame those two didn't collaborate more.

- Mike's genuine love for Brian's 'I'll Bet He's Nice' demo on the piano demo tracks. I wish there were more moments like this recorded to tape from their writing days together. I mean, what we would all give to hear the two of them writing 'Keep An Eye On Summer' in that hotel room together.

- 'Getcha Back' - okay, it's pretty much a rip off of 'Hungry Heart' but it sounds so damn good that I don't care, Brian's falsetto is great, and that outro is really kickass.

- that Mike was even willing to consider the C50. Whatever the intentions were, these guys got together and made one last truly phenomenal album and did a ton of shows together. Mike's 'Daybreak' is probably the most harmony oriented track on the album, and it's nothing groundbreaking but it's not trying to be, it fits on that album nicely, imo.

- I know this has nothing to do with the real Mike Love, but I love that scene in Love and Mercy when Mike's character seems to want to apologize to Brian then Brian interrupts him with the piano riff to GV. It portrayed Mike as someone who was sorry for always getting on Brian's ass about this or that, but he's never given the chance to apologize in that moment. I'm really not sure what Pohlad intended with that. Anyways, not a real Mike Love moment, but one that I really like seeing on the big screen.

One thing I'd like to say. I remember a while back when someone talked about how some here would heap fake praise on Mike then rip him apart for something. I hope people here realize that most of us irritated at Mike are annoyed because we know he has the capability to do better these days. I and others don't heap "fake" praise on the guy. I genuinely love many of his contributions to the band (and have posted as much across the board, especially in the "specific BB moment kicking your ass" thread). It's unfortunate that he does things that genuinely irritate fans, but it happens...often. We can still appreciate the good while calling out the bad. He has done so much good and that's why we're here. His contributions helped make this band what it became in its heyday....I don't think anyone here denies that.

Good thread idea, Nate.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 04:34:10 PM »

Gonna pass on this one folks.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

He get's loads of rebounds!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
KDS
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »

Nice change of pace, Nate:

1.  Too many great leads to name, especially in the early years.  I Get Around, All Summer Long, When I Grow Up, come to mind.

2.  The lead and lyrics to perhaps the most iconic BB song - California Girls.

3.  Heck, I even like Beaches in Mind. 

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »

Nice change of pace, Nate:

1.  Too many great leads to name, especially in the early years.  I Get Around, All Summer Long, When I Grow Up, come to mind.

2.  The lead and lyrics to perhaps the most iconic BB song - California Girls.

3.  Heck, I even like Beaches in Mind. 

Ya know I used to abhore ‘Beaches in Mind’ but relistening lately I’ve found I really like it. The harmonies are pretty cool and it is catchy, even if it’s kinda cliche.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »

His contributions to the Wild Honey album!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »

There's a whole lotta Mike bashing on this website. But afterall, we are all here because we love The Beach Boys, and Mike is one of the original members, and still plays The Beach Boys music to this day. Let's make a thread of the reasons why we appriciate Mike Love, even if some of us don't have very many reasons.  I'll start us off...

That's just to get the ball rolling, but I think there is too much Mike bashing here. I love every Beach Boy, and at the end of the day I think Mike is a pretty talented guy.

It's a fine topic to start and there are many highlights to highlight...but Nate, why include the lines in your post in bold instead of just letting people post what they think are highlights and good things to celebrate? There's been enough attempts to paint this community and members overall who participate here as nothing but Mike Bashers, and in doing so diminish and dismiss everything about this forum. They've failed miserably so far, the board is still active and running much better since the real problems left, so it doesn't make sense to have an active member add fuel to a fire that hasn't burned here for a long time instead of just letting people talk. No need to take shots at this place or anyone here.

I'd also ask if all of the negative comments in the past week showing up many places online are all examples of "Mike Bashing", or if they're people voicing opinions on something they don't like. And I'd also add that among the people who have been tagged as the bashers (up to and including attempts to have their backgrounds checked and have them removed by interests no longer here...) are some very passionate and long-time fans who can both walk the walk and talk the talk about the band, the music, and the history. So I'd reconsider those few lines and perhaps let things roll. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »

On topic, back to topic, etc...

I think that voice Mike used which I think Brian described as "guttural" on tracks like Papa Ooo Mow Mow was pure punk/rock and roll. Awesome sound, it gave a rawness and a rock and roll vibe to those songs, especially the Party album versions. That is some good stuff.

Then the same voice can do the bass vocals "whoa baby..." on Kiss Me Baby, which i think are indeed some of the most smooth bass vocals in the whole catalog, and put a new spin on what was by 1964 a pretty stale genre...doo wop. It wasn't all the same chord progressions and Blue Moon/Goodnight Sweetheart cliches when you heard Kiss Me Baby.

And the same voice on Wild Honey...Aren't You Glad, Let The Wind Blow...then Meant For You...absolutely the opposite of Mike's heavier sounds, not a trace of doo wop cliches or the usual bass sounds, just a very intimate vocal timbre that worked perfectly for that era.

This is a left field choice for sure...But when the live shows of the mid 70's were hitting on most cylinders, Mike's lead on Rock and Roll Music really delivered the goods. He wasn't trying to do Chuck Berry, but it worked. Never a fan of the backing vocal arrangement, which I thought was hokey as hell. But Mike sounds stoned as hell singing that lead, and damn it, it just fits the groove.

And finally, I've already written a dissertation on the qualities of California Girls, so I won't repeat what I already wrote. But the one line, the rhythm and phrasing of the line "I've been all around this great big world and I've seen all kinds of girls..." is perfect in every way. It flows effortlessly. Great stuff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

Gonna pass on this one folks.
Same here, night OSD! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:38 PM »

Bash on Mike all you want, but I feel like the people who call him talentless are taking it a bit too far...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »

What a stretch.  What a pail of fly attracting BULL-sh!t.  THAT was then...and for these past 52 years...THIS is NOW.  The credit earned '62 - '65 has run out.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »

What a stretch.  What a pail of fly attracting BULL-sh!t.  THAT was then...and for these past 52 years...THIS is NOW.  The credit earned '62 - '65 has run out.
Time for OSD and yourself to collect! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 07:16:14 PM »

It's a fine topic to start and there are many highlights to highlight...but Nate, why include the lines in your post in bold instead of just letting people post what they think are highlights and good things to celebrate? There's been enough attempts to paint this community and members overall who participate here as nothing but Mike Bashers, and in doing so diminish and dismiss everything about this forum. They've failed miserably so far, the board is still active and running much better since the real problems left, so it doesn't make sense to have an active member add fuel to a fire that hasn't burned here for a long time instead of just letting people talk. No need to take shots at this place or anyone here.

I'd also ask if all of the negative comments in the past week showing up many places online are all examples of "Mike Bashing", or if they're people voicing opinions on something they don't like. And I'd also add that among the people who have been tagged as the bashers (up to and including attempts to have their backgrounds checked and have them removed by interests no longer here...) are some very passionate and long-time fans who can both walk the walk and talk the talk about the band, the music, and the history. So I'd reconsider those few lines and perhaps let things roll. 

The last couple of days I have headed over the PS forum to read their take on the DIA single. I gotta say that community seems to be in some highly-strung distress over this forum. I went to four different pages there the other day (fairly random threads too) and I saw as many posts directly or indirectly mentioning this place in a negative light...funny that this place lives rent free in a lot of peoples' minds over there. Anywho, a lot of the comments were about Mike bashing here.

I'll take any of the rational discussion about Mike here over the fairytale world that goes on over there. I mean you exclude what, two posters here, and the "Mike bashing" is more what you got the past few days: discussions revolving around the history of the band, defining legacy, etc. Does it happen often? Yep, about as often as Mike does something blatantly ridiculous whether it be a tactless interview comment or a single that got primarily dreadful feedback from the fans, or a couple days later dropping a video for said single. I'm just glad we now have a forum where talking freely about band members doesn't elicit an IP address search for an interested party.

Sorry to veer the thread, Nate...but you did bring it up Grin

Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »

You can't get more beautiful than the Lovester wailing out "Hey Good Lookin"....Beth On the Mesa is another classic. Wrinkles has saved my life quite a few times and I will always be thankful to Mike for that.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 07:24:49 PM »

Rab, I am NOT Melinda Wilson....  Wink

jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »

Time for OSD and yourself to collect! Evil

We can and should praise Mike for his contributions, and we have. See above and other various threads. Great vocals, decent lyrics, etc....But don't let that obscure you from the full spectrum of his "contributions" to the history and legacy of the Beach Boys.  While each member has had their share of mis-steps and bad decisions, few if any of these have been the result of pure jealousy and bitterness, as many of Mike's decisions have been the past 40 years. To top that off, there have been some genuinely dumb decisions he has made that reflect poorly on the group as a whole....e.g. DIA 2017, HOF speech, etc.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »

Am ***I*** one of the "two posters here"?  I hope so...'cause you ALL know that I would then represent millions who don't respect the 'props' mentioned in this thread.  The majority don't see OR HEAR them as props but rather as that annoying 'nose thing' that drove the MAJORITY away in droves and in spite of what the Wilsons [and Al] were trying to accomplish.

I am guilty.  I attempted, for years, to cut this asshole a break for his ongoing sh*t-headed indiscretions.  Buy he wouldn't stop.  So I did.  "Nourishment and revenge"....HIS words....were the final underlining truth.  The KING of the Surf Assholes is Michael Edwierd Love.  He has been for 50 years... ... ...and counting.  Anybody 'love' that hall of fame ramble?  Anybody?

Then sh*t the eff up.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:55 PM »

I am the third! Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx