gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:49:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's re-recordings  (Read 3267 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:11:40 PM »

Pardon me if this is already a thread, but what is the situation with Mike "re-recording classics" as he put it in his recent billboard interview. I remember in his book trailer there were re-recordings of Fun Fun Fun, Big Sur, and Good Vibrations if I recall correctly. Plus we know Getcha Back is being reworked, and now the Do It Again single. Will this be an album? I would have mixed feelings about this. The Big Sur re-recording from the book trailer sounded really good in my opinion.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:15 PM »

If he did some lesser known songs such as Big Sur and some of his other released/unreleased solo stuff, even Getcha Back, fine. But I don't need Mike Love re singing the same Greatest Hits package ( especially considering how horrific that Do it Again piece is)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »

The situation is that he is pushing the chutzpah envelope big-time.  With the exception of Big Sur, which does sound very good, mainly because it's just a new vocal laid down over the original backing track, and Mike also had a major hand in composing, if  Brian Wilson wants to re-record classic BB songs that's one thing but for Mike to do it, esp. under his own name, is the epitome of classlessness, even though he sang on them. No matter how many new fans a new release of a great old song brings in, again IMO.

I don't think this opinion is just grumpy purism run amok but is pretty d--n objective.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

I think it would be okay if he did an album of re-recordings as long as they weren't the obvious choices (Getcha Back and Big Sur certainly aren't Beach Boys classics) and as obnoxiously done as that version of Do It Again.  But if he's going to be doing inferior note-for-note versions of California Girls, Good Vibrations, and Kokomo for the tenth time, I really don't see the point.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »

How did the re-records fare when Mike did them 20 years ago?

Catch a Wave.
Here's Do It Again from that set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt4qz66CTog

NASCAR.

Summertime Cruisin'

2 of those 3 have Do It Again on the tracklist. 3 of the 3 are loaded with sequences and drum machines and the unmistakable digitized sonic aura of Summer In Paradise, only lesser sound quality.

Any questions?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 10:07:25 PM »

Oh, there's more. Mike and Bruce with The King's Singers doing a cover of "Please Let Me Wonder" from '97. Again, fully digitized sound, drum machines and sequences...

...and whether it was Mike or Bruce or the two of them writing it as a team, a new set of lyrics and melody written over the original's bridge section, which on the original recording is one of the finest instrumental breaks Brian ever wrote and produced, perhaps one of the better middle 8 sections in 60's pop music. On this cover/remake version it's been removed and rewritten...

I guess it needed new lyrics to make it 25% better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JReRSTzYrXw&feature=youtu.be

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 01:12:29 AM »

That made Imagination sound like death metal

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:57:03 AM »

Big Sur sounds like landlocked, beautiful.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 06:33:39 AM »

One would hope that BRI would never in the modern era allow an album cover like this to be released by Mike:

When Brian was sued over that freebie giveaway CD in the 2000s, and every time Brian and Al have been harangued for too prominently featuring their "original Beach Boy" status in concert promotional materials, they should have just send Mike a copy of that Union 76 album cover and "dropped the mic" as it were.

Regarding cover versions of old BB songs, perhaps this is one way to look at it: We've had for a number of years now a glut of movie sequels, movie franchise, movie "cinematic universes", reboots, remakes, etc. In other words, the "average moviegoer" doesn't crave *new* stories and characters. They crave more of the same. They want the same thing over and over and over. Something comfortable and familiar.

So with Mike, he treats *his own song catalog and career* the way movie ticket buyers treat movies. He gravitates towards the safe, crowd-pleasing stuff. It not only pleases the "fans"; the masses, it also please *Mike* more. He has his own internal narrative for what those old "classic" BB songs mean and what they are, and it's comforting to him to just go back to that over and over.

The 90s remakes with Adrian Baker were no doubt about all of that, and probably also just quick easy cash grabs. Probably a case of little labels (or gas stations or car dealerships) offering to cut a quick, easy check in exchange for K-Tel style re-recordings helmed by Baker that actually feature Mike.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:27 AM »

One would hope that BRI would never in the modern era allow an album cover like this to be released by Mike:

Ive seen lemonade stand signs that look more professional than this.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 06:42:24 AM »

Who's ready for McGrath and Stamos on a remade All I Wanna Do? Let's DO THIS!!!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »

Who's ready for McGrath and Stamos on a remade All I Wanna Do? Let's DO THIS!!!

That          would          make          my          head         explode.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:12:56 AM »

Imagine if Ringo did an album remaking the Beatles' biggest hits. Who wants that?

And Ringo actually has a viable solo career.

Brian remaking a few BB songs is more acceptable because he has also had a good solo career with original material. Mike is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and has been for years. Mike and Bruce are a lyricist and a songwriter. You'd think they could come up with something new together.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 07:08:37 AM »

An awful album....humiliating on many levels....generic karaoke tracks sound better than the production on here. The spoken intro from Mike and Bruce will make you cringe.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »

An awful album....humiliating on many levels....generic karaoke tracks sound better than the production on here. The spoken intro from Mike and Bruce will make you cringe.

"Beach Boy lovers...NASCAR lovers...and summer days on old Cape Cod"

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »

When Brian was sued over that freebie giveaway CD in the 2000s, and every time Brian and Al have been harangued for too prominently featuring their "original Beach Boy" status in concert promotional materials, they should have just send Mike a copy of that Union 76 album cover and "dropped the mic" as it were.

Regarding cover versions of old BB songs, perhaps this is one way to look at it: We've had for a number of years now a glut of movie sequels, movie franchise, movie "cinematic universes", reboots, remakes, etc. In other words, the "average moviegoer" doesn't crave *new* stories and characters. They crave more of the same. They want the same thing over and over and over. Something comfortable and familiar.

So with Mike, he treats *his own song catalog and career* the way movie ticket buyers treat movies. He gravitates towards the safe, crowd-pleasing stuff. It not only pleases the "fans"; the masses, it also please *Mike* more. He has his own internal narrative for what those old "classic" BB songs mean and what they are, and it's comforting to him to just go back to that over and over.

The 90s remakes with Adrian Baker were no doubt about all of that, and probably also just quick easy cash grabs. Probably a case of little labels (or gas stations or car dealerships) offering to cut a quick, easy check in exchange for K-Tel style re-recordings helmed by Baker that actually feature Mike.

Adrian Baker did a poor job producing/engineering this album. Just listen to Little GTO and listen to how the sound quality changes at 1:28 during the song. Terrible.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »

I think all of Mike's re-recordings aren't AWFUL. They aren't good, but they're not abysmal. I'd take any of Mike's re-recordings over Summer Of Love. There are a few of the re-recordings I actually like, even though I may be hated on this site for saying so. For example, on the Summer Cruisin' album, I like the re-recording of Surfin' USA, even though I'd take the original over the redo anyday.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx