gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62344 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »

LOL Heyjude and CD have made my day!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 28, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »

This is why I left the board for the better part of a year.

Sigh.

But I'm going to soldier on for one point.

Making fun of Mike's work and saying he's a talentless hack is quantifiably different than the criticism that Brian or NPP received.

The criticism was and is different.

How?

Mike is treated, even by those who despise him, as a free agent. A man capable of making his own musical and professional decisions, whether we agree with them (now and then) or mock them (frequently of late). You attack Mike Love, you're attacking him. And sometimes, he attacks you back. It's clean, simple, professional.

But Brian is treated by many of his critics, on and off this board, as a puppet. A person incapable of making musical, personal or creative decisions. An album is an opportunity to lambaste the network of support that Brian has built over the past two decades. It is dehumanizing. It treats mental illness as crippling. It treats effective psychotropic medication as disqualifying.

And enough people on this board, by the time No Pier Pressure was released, had heard enough from people who directly know Brian -- Ray and Debbie and the band members who tour with the man -- to know that such criticism is false.

The line has still been parroted. Not just by folks online and the more ignorant critics, but by Mike himself.

Brian is, of course, dependent on a social structure around him and medication. Sometimes he agrees to do things that are misguided. Sometimes he's eager to avoid conflict and acts against his arguable best interests. No one disagrees about that. But he's still the author of his life. He's still deciding, even if it's deciding to let other people chart the day-to-day details. Plenty of other rock stars -- plenty of other ordinary people -- do the same.

So, yeah. That's the point. That's the crux of it all. Criticize Brian if you must. Criticize his taste if you feel like it. But don't treat him like a vegetable, because it's offensive to a fellow human being.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:05:25 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 28, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »

Photo dated March 1, 1997. Little known fact: During this private show, Mike signed on to the fateful decision to re-record "Do It Again" 20 years later. Dean seems a little too amused:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »

Sigh.

Making fun of Mike's work and saying he's a talentless hack is quantifiably different than the criticism than Brian or NPP received.

How?

Mike is treated, even by those who despise him, as a free agent. A man capable of making his own musical and professional decisions, whether we agree with them (now and then) or mock them (frequently of late). You attack Mike Love, you're attacking him. And sometimes, he attacks you back. It's clean, simple, professional.

But Brian is treated by many of his critics, on and off this board, as a puppet. A person incapable of making musical, personal or creative decisions. An album is an opportunity to lambaste the network of support that Brian has built over the past two decades. It is dehumanizing. It treats mental illness as crippling. It treats effective psychotropic medication as disqualifying.

And enough people on this board, by the time No Pier Pressure was released, had heard enough from people who directly know Brian -- Ray and Debbie and the band members who tour with the man -- to know that such criticism is false.

The line has still been parroted. Not just by folks online and the more ignorant critics, but by Mike himself.

Brian is, of course, dependent on a social structure around him and medication. Sometimes he agrees to do things that are misguided. Sometimes he's eager to avoid conflict and acts against his arguable best interests. No one disagrees about that. But he's still the author of his life. He's still deciding, even if it's deciding to let other people chart the day-to-day details. Plenty of other rock stars -- plenty of other ordinary people -- do the same.

So, yeah. That's the point. That's the crux of it all. Criticize Brian if you must. Criticize his taste if you feel like it. But don't treat him like a vegetable, because it's offensive to a fellow human being.

I actually totally agree with you Wirestone. And once again, it seems like I say this to quite a few posters, but you are definitely up there as one of my absolute favorites. You always have something important to add to discussion.

And about why there is a different standard for Mike and Brian, you hit the nail on the head. And that is why I think people like AGD and Sheriff John Stone are so disgusting.

However, besides the few major assholes like Nicko, Pinder, Mike's Beard, etc who were shitting on No Pier Pressure in a disgusting way, I think some people just simply didn't like it. And that should be allowed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2017, 10:24:47 AM »

Sigh.

Making fun of Mike's work and saying he's a talentless hack is quantifiably different than the criticism than Brian or NPP received.

How?

A very good explanation for why "criticism" or "making fun" of one versus the other *is* different, and always will be for better or worse. Well put.

Let it also be known that there was plenty of regular, perfectly fine criticism of NPP as well. I was among those who criticized some of the songs. I found and still find it to be a mixed bag of an album. There are ways (e.g. regular old-fashioned musical criticism) to criticize NPP. But either implied or direct diatribes about Brian being "medicated and controlled" being the main crux of what is ostensibly supposed to be  "review" of NPP is of course a very different thing. And that's not even to say bringing in the question of what is or isn't truly made by Brian's hand or deeply involves Brian is an off-limits topic. But it has to go beyond "medicated and controlled."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 28, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »

"So Al, in 29 years we should totally remake Do It Again. What do you think?"

"No. Let's just smile for this picture, John"

Is that an algebra equation on Al's pants? In all seriousness, what is the purpose of those letters?

They probably subliminally spell out ‘Cottonfields’ - Al probably doing all he could to try and save the band at that point Grin

His pants look like they’re made of those cheap moving blankets you rent from UHaul for a move.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: July 28, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »

They probably subliminally spell out ‘Cottonfields’ - Al probably doing all he could to try and save the band at that point Grin

His pants look like they’re made of those cheap moving blankets you rent from UHaul for a move.

Just so people know, Stamos and the band and the cast actually *rehearsed* the "live concert" segment of the show:

Ironically, this was the part of the show where Stamos slips Mike his demo tape, after Mike previously mentioned how he was glad nobody asked him to listen to their amateur music.

The irony is that if Stamos wanted to really record an album, Mike would be all over that in a heartbeat...

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 28, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »

I remember the Carlin book saying their 1980s clothes were a mix between "getriatic wear and letterman wear"! LOL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:50:49 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 28, 2017, 10:43:20 AM »

And that's not even to say bringing in the question of what is or isn't truly made by Brian's hand or deeply involves Brian is an off-limits topic. But it has to go beyond "medicated and controlled."

I actually find it a fascinating topic, especially in an album like NPP where it seems as though Brian had a considerable lyrical hand in some songs -- "Whatever Happened," for instance. It's a lovely tune, with a few nice melodic turns, but "Whatever happened to my favorite places / Nothing's where it used to be" just sounds like something Brian was griping about one day. The music could mostly be Joe.

And yes, by all means, nothing anyone does should be above criticism. I personally find some PS songs to be a bit of a slog. Different strokes!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:44:22 AM by Wirestone » Logged
KDS
« Reply #309 on: July 28, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »

Dig this guitarfool,

For me it simply comes down to this for me...I think there are some super shitty people who have either formerly posted on this board and/or currently post on the other board. And I am not trying to minimize it...I think people like Sheriff John Stone, Pinder, Nicko, Jason, Mike's Beard, and especially Cam Mott and filledeplage are absolutely heinous individuals based solely on their online activities. Maybe they are decent people off the web, but online they just ain't right. And yes most of them are pushing an agenda, one which seems to tear down Brian and his accomplishments and hoist up Mike and all of his questionable choices.

But right here is where you lose me and where I start rolling my eyes. At this point I just find it incredibly hard to believe that, as you have stated, Mike Love is purposely pushing his lackeys online to post opinions that happen to coincide with Mike's disgustingly baseless 2005 lawsuit. I don't think that there is a coordinated effort against Brian, Al, Dennis, Carl or Blondie except by maybe two people: Cam Mott and filledeplage. Okay and maybe exactly anti-Brian , but anti-Al and definitely anti-Melinda, you have AGD. But once again, do I think these people are having chat sessions to exalt the Club Kokomo agenda? I just don't.

And that's why he constant blathering about how "the narrative about Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and Friends will now be reversed, proving this liars wrong," I kinda scratch my head cuz first off, if anybody actually listened to those albums it is obvious that the Brian Wilson touch is all over them, and secondly because, besides a dipshit like Cam, who is really pushing this sh*t? Even most of the people I listed above (and don't particularly care for) don't even say this sh*t. So it seems very much to me like a straw man argument.

Now doubtlessly you will take this post as an affront to you and you'll use it as proof that I'm part of an anti-Brian cabal, whereas the fact is, I absolutely love the guy and his music. Shoot I even love No Pier Pressure. In fact it's one of my top two BW solo albums, only behind his solo debut.

Lastly I'm sure you don't care either way Rab, but I love reading your posts and greatly appreciate your insights.

I dig that you're a fan. What I don't dig at all is that you cannot seem to grasp or accept that there was a lot of really nasty personal sh*t done and said to board members here in the name of both agendas and personal grudges, and when it got exposed, called out, and dealt with, there was a flurry of lies and other false claims made by those who may have been affected because they got their asses burned in the backfire from all of it. If you don't know all the details, which you don't unless one of less than 5 people who do know told you and I sure as hell did not, don't accuse me or anyone publicly of being a conspiracy nut, of making strawman arguments, or whatever other things you've said because you simply do not know and haven't seen a lot of what really did happen. If you can't accept that it happened, or can't believe it, then that's something you'll need to work out before posting these comments again. The super shittiness went beyond what you may have seen, to depths you may not be aware of. So I'd suggest before making these public comments and grinding whatever axes you may have, consider there is more to all of this and it's nasty, personal sh*t. The fact people were told "impeccable sources" had outed "SmileBrian" as first Carol Kaye and then Melinda Wilson is just the icing on the cake.

And I also know how it feels to realize when a hustler or liar has duped you. I hate to say it, but a lot of people have been duped and hustled and are still being duped. But that's been removed from this place, and maybe if you stopped bringing it up as you seem to do every so often to reopen all of those issues that haven't been on the table for a long time, it would be better all around. And it you read something negative about Mike or anything in general that you disagree with, offer a counter argument and debate it! Refute it! Just don't try to quash people from voicing opinions because you don't like them or in the case of the people you don't name in your posts here, because you have issues with those people. It is an open forum, despite attempts to change that. Feel free to dispute and debate anything you don't agree with.

Okay, fair enough gf.

However, once again you're expecting me to just accept that sh*t went down that is so f***ed up that I can't even imagine, and that if I knew I'd totally get it, and therefore I shouldn't say anything. Maybe that's true. But how am I supposed to know? I'm just supposed to take your word for it? The one time I was showed "proof" what I ended up seeing was undoubtably some f***ed up stuff from Mike and his legal team, but nothing whatsoever that tied people into a tied together conspiracy to do anything.

And lastly, maybe we could move all the relevant posts on this to the sandbox where we can continue on, because this is an issue worth fleshing out. I definitely prefer this place of over the alt-right, sexist, disgusting PS Forum. But I also want to hopefully be part of a forum where every member of The Beach Boys get a fair shake, and that includes Mike and Bruce (and believe me, I think Bruce especially is probably not a cool guy at all). Because as KDS said...

And how is the Beavis and Butthead mocking of NPP any different that the satirical review of SIP that goes around? 

It's a valid point. Now do I get more laughs out of the Summer In Paradise review? Yes. However, that's likely because I love No Pier Pressure while I think all Summer In Paradise is worthy of is laughs. However, if one is allowable, both are allowable. Just my opinion. I much prefer Brian Wilson over Mike Love, but I think as far getting outraged when Brian is attacked but allowing the same on Mike to pass with just a laugh is a problem. Just my opinion.

I'm also a big fan of NPP (outside of two tracks), and I thought the review was pretty funny.  I'm also a fan of about half of SIP, and I found that review funny too. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 28, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »

"If you play 'Do It Again' one more f***king time, I swear to God...."

John's on the receiving end of the infamous Carl Wilson STINK EYE....  LOL
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:38:20 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Sweetmountain
Smiley Smile Newbie

The artist formerly known as b00ts

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

Sigh.

How?

Bingo! Thank you for articulating this. This attitude also extends to every single interviewer asking Brian mawkish questions about his mental illness and recovery... it's no wonder he gives one-word answers. Can you imagine?

- Bella
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 28, 2017, 02:44:15 PM »

Photo dated March 1, 1997.

Trump: "So if things don't work out for Carl, I've got my lawyers to draw up this licensing agreement you might be interested in. Don't show it to Al though."
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 28, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »

I'd like to think that somewhere, there's a copy of Brian's Full House episode script with some Surf's Up melodies written in the margins.

Thoughts like that give me hope for the world.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 28, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

Sigh.

Making fun of Mike's work and saying he's a talentless hack is quantifiably different than the criticism that Brian or NPP received.

How?

Yeah, pretty much bang on. To my mind the issue is that with Brian's reputation as a genius incapable of doing wrong, it's all too easy when handed something of his you don't like to give into instinct and say "this doesn't fit in with the Brian I've fabricated in my head, so even if other people like it he can't have had anything to do with the music." With all this bullshit over the past two years I don't even remember if that's what I used to believe about NPP, but I certainly don't now, and these days I do think it takes quite a bit of cheek to suggest otherwise. Brian had the final say on the album, and I didn't like it. Which is just fine.

This is and has always been a totally inconsequential discussion that clearly isn't going to end any time soon, and has increasingly less to do with Brian Wilson than the fact that most people involved on either board have gigantic egos and resent anybody signed up on the other.

As for "Do It Again '17", the track and the video: both bloody awful.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:17:39 PM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:31 PM »

Photo dated March 1, 1997.

Trump: "So if things don't work out for Carl, I've got my lawyers to draw up this licensing agreement you might be interested in. Don't show it to Al though."

LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 28, 2017, 04:45:08 PM »

Photo dated March 1, 1997. Little known fact: During this private show, Mike signed on to the fateful decision to re-record "Do It Again" 20 years later. Dean seems a little too amused:

“Yeah, as you can see here I’ve been married three times now, bet you can’t hold a candle to that Mike!”

“Well....”

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 28, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »

Rab! LOL

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: July 28, 2017, 06:57:32 PM »

Just to address two specifics in separate posts that were brought up in multiple replies.

Nowhere on this board, never by anyone who was a moderator or admin since I became one and that obviously includes me, was a post censored or deleted by a moderator because it was deemed to be too critical of something. Not a single poster was banned for posting criticism or for not liking something, be it NPP or whatever the case may be.

This has been explained and clarified multiple times by the mods and by the admin, and it quite simply never happened that an "official" censorship or anything similar was ordered because a poster didn't like something and expressed an opinion.

What the board does offer is the chance to debate, rebuke, and argue points made in these discussions. It's been that way and will remain that way. If someone disagrees with an opinion, negative or otherwise, they can post a reply and debate it out. That's what keeps open forums like this both open and active.

Just to repeat again, wherever or however the notion of censoring negative posts got started or spread around to where it's been mentioned several times in the last few pages, it was not the case on this forum and all the moderators and admins have clearly stated that multiple times in the past.

Hopefully that clears up what seems to be a misunderstanding that some members have about censorship on this forum.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 28, 2017, 07:03:36 PM »

Just to address two specifics in separate posts that were brought up in multiple replies.

Nowhere on this board, never by anyone who was a moderator or admin since I became one and that obviously includes me, was a post censored or deleted by a moderator because it was deemed to be too critical of something. Not a single poster was banned for posting criticism or for not liking something, be it NPP or whatever the case may be.

This has been explained and clarified multiple times by the mods and by the admin, and it quite simply never happened that an "official" censorship or anything similar was ordered because a poster didn't like something and expressed an opinion.

What the board does offer is the chance to debate, rebuke, and argue points made in these discussions. It's been that way and will remain that way. If someone disagrees with an opinion, negative or otherwise, they can post a reply and debate it out. That's what keeps open forums like this both open and active.

Just to repeat again, wherever or however the notion of censoring negative posts got started or spread around to where it's been mentioned several times in the last few pages, it was not the case on this forum and all the moderators and admins have clearly stated that multiple times in the past.

Hopefully that clears up what seems to be a misunderstanding that some members have about censorship on this forum.

Fair enough; speaking for myself, I encourage debate and am personally happy to continue a conversation with any poster with whom I disagree, even if we often can't come to a consensus. I apologize for earlier using the term censorship, which was probably an overstatement on my part, yet I stand by my last post in saying that it *felt* a bit like an encouragement of the poster in question to stop posting, even if that wasn't actually requested. But again, even if witnessing that might have bugged me under how I felt the circumstances were (not even my thread, just as an observer reading that thread), you - and any poster on here - certainly have every right to state your opinion and call out something as being crappy if you feel that way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:04:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: July 28, 2017, 07:10:41 PM »

Dig this guitarfool,

For me it simply comes down to this for me...I think there are some super shitty people who have either formerly posted on this board and/or currently post on the other board. And I am not trying to minimize it...I think people like Sheriff John Stone, Pinder, Nicko, Jason, Mike's Beard, and especially Cam Mott and filledeplage are absolutely heinous individuals based solely on their online activities. Maybe they are decent people off the web, but online they just ain't right. And yes most of them are pushing an agenda, one which seems to tear down Brian and his accomplishments and hoist up Mike and all of his questionable choices.

But right here is where you lose me and where I start rolling my eyes. At this point I just find it incredibly hard to believe that, as you have stated, Mike Love is purposely pushing his lackeys online to post opinions that happen to coincide with Mike's disgustingly baseless 2005 lawsuit. I don't think that there is a coordinated effort against Brian, Al, Dennis, Carl or Blondie except by maybe two people: Cam Mott and filledeplage. Okay and maybe exactly anti-Brian , but anti-Al and definitely anti-Melinda, you have AGD. But once again, do I think these people are having chat sessions to exalt the Club Kokomo agenda? I just don't.

And that's why he constant blathering about how "the narrative about Smiley Smile, Wild Honey and Friends will now be reversed, proving this liars wrong," I kinda scratch my head cuz first off, if anybody actually listened to those albums it is obvious that the Brian Wilson touch is all over them, and secondly because, besides a dipshit like Cam, who is really pushing this sh*t? Even most of the people I listed above (and don't particularly care for) don't even say this sh*t. So it seems very much to me like a straw man argument.

Now doubtlessly you will take this post as an affront to you and you'll use it as proof that I'm part of an anti-Brian cabal, whereas the fact is, I absolutely love the guy and his music. Shoot I even love No Pier Pressure. In fact it's one of my top two BW solo albums, only behind his solo debut.

Lastly I'm sure you don't care either way Rab, but I love reading your posts and greatly appreciate your insights.

I dig that you're a fan. What I don't dig at all is that you cannot seem to grasp or accept that there was a lot of really nasty personal sh*t done and said to board members here in the name of both agendas and personal grudges, and when it got exposed, called out, and dealt with, there was a flurry of lies and other false claims made by those who may have been affected because they got their asses burned in the backfire from all of it. If you don't know all the details, which you don't unless one of less than 5 people who do know told you and I sure as hell did not, don't accuse me or anyone publicly of being a conspiracy nut, of making strawman arguments, or whatever other things you've said because you simply do not know and haven't seen a lot of what really did happen. If you can't accept that it happened, or can't believe it, then that's something you'll need to work out before posting these comments again. The super shittiness went beyond what you may have seen, to depths you may not be aware of. So I'd suggest before making these public comments and grinding whatever axes you may have, consider there is more to all of this and it's nasty, personal sh*t. The fact people were told "impeccable sources" had outed "SmileBrian" as first Carol Kaye and then Melinda Wilson is just the icing on the cake.

And I also know how it feels to realize when a hustler or liar has duped you. I hate to say it, but a lot of people have been duped and hustled and are still being duped. But that's been removed from this place, and maybe if you stopped bringing it up as you seem to do every so often to reopen all of those issues that haven't been on the table for a long time, it would be better all around. And it you read something negative about Mike or anything in general that you disagree with, offer a counter argument and debate it! Refute it! Just don't try to quash people from voicing opinions because you don't like them or in the case of the people you don't name in your posts here, because you have issues with those people. It is an open forum, despite attempts to change that. Feel free to dispute and debate anything you don't agree with.

Okay, fair enough gf.

However, once again you're expecting me to just accept that sh*t went down that is so f***ed up that I can't even imagine, and that if I knew I'd totally get it, and therefore I shouldn't say anything. Maybe that's true. But how am I supposed to know? I'm just supposed to take your word for it? The one time I was showed "proof" what I ended up seeing was undoubtably some f***ed up stuff from Mike and his legal team, but nothing whatsoever that tied people into a tied together conspiracy to do anything.

And lastly, maybe we could move all the relevant posts on this to the sandbox where we can continue on, because this is an issue worth fleshing out. I definitely prefer this place of over the alt-right, sexist, disgusting PS Forum. But I also want to hopefully be part of a forum where every member of The Beach Boys get a fair shake, and that includes Mike and Bruce (and believe me, I think Bruce especially is probably not a cool guy at all). Because as KDS said...

And how is the Beavis and Butthead mocking of NPP any different that the satirical review of SIP that goes around? 

It's a valid point. Now do I get more laughs out of the Summer In Paradise review? Yes. However, that's likely because I love No Pier Pressure while I think all Summer In Paradise is worthy of is laughs. However, if one is allowable, both are allowable. Just my opinion. I much prefer Brian Wilson over Mike Love, but I think as far getting outraged when Brian is attacked but allowing the same on Mike to pass with just a laugh is a problem. Just my opinion.

Replying specifically to this:
>>>>
However, once again you're expecting me to just accept that sh*t went down that is so f***ed up that I can't even imagine, and that if I knew I'd totally get it, and therefore I shouldn't say anything. Maybe that's true. But how am I supposed to know? I'm just supposed to take your word for it? The one time I was showed "proof" what I ended up seeing was undoubtably some f***ed up stuff from Mike and his legal team, but nothing whatsoever that tied people into a tied together conspiracy to do anything. <<<<

I am not trying to issue a cop-out or half-assed reply by saying this Jim, but in this case the answer is yes. You do have to take my word for it. Along with Billy's word, and Charles' word, and the word of others who may have been directly involved.

I'll say this much and ask that you consider this hypothetically. What if some of this had your name involved or mentioned, or that of your immediate family, or your children? What if some of what happened involved you getting what *you felt* were bullying or even threatening messages, and you reported them as such to the admins but wanted it to remain anonymous? What if people around you who had no skin in any of this game whatsoever were dragged through the mud in some way through any of these issues? What if issues of your personal life or that of your family was reported like gossip to other members, and beyond that, what if public claims were made about your personal life that were false?

And again, that is only a part of it. But consider if it were you or your family's names and issues being dragged into this, and someone posting on a message board was asking for more "proof" that it actually happened.

So yeah, to sum it up and to hopefully put this thing to rest, I guess you have to take my word for it along with the word of the other admins. Some of what was involved was not the kind of thing to be made public. Also keep in mind each of us has clarified and explained a lot of these things in public posts and threads which are still available to read here. If you missed them or just don't remember them, they are still there.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 28, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

The Beach Boys world is a lot smaller than some folks on here realize. It's not difficult to make connections, and it's not difficult to learn "things." At a certain point, what was said and done on this board began to interact with the band in very peculiar ways. I mean, Brian visited. Brian's good friend has posted at length. Mike used photoshops from this board in Beach Boys concerts.

It all got very ... personal. And I think both Brian's and Mike's folks realized that this board houses some of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of any band anywhere. But that meant that, for whatever reason, the last explosion of a year or two ago here was particularly nasty. Because these weren't abstract figures we were talking about anymore. They were like family members. Not that close, mind you. Like an aunt or uncle you don't see that often. But still, family.

There's a bunch of history here, some of it quite gnarled and disputed. I know there are certain posts of mine, from many years ago, that were removed at one point. (Which is a real shame, because I thought they were hilarious and misunderstood.) Folks have left and come back and left again. I give the current mods credit for trying to build this place back with as much transparency as possible.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 07:21:17 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: July 28, 2017, 11:17:11 PM »

There is NO censorship on the board.  Period. End of story.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: July 28, 2017, 11:18:53 PM »

The Beach Boys world is a lot smaller than some folks on here realize. It's not difficult to make connections, and it's not difficult to learn "things." At a certain point, what was said and done on this board began to interact with the band in very peculiar ways. I mean, Brian visited. Brian's good friend has posted at length. Mike used photoshops from this board in Beach Boys concerts.

It all got very ... personal. And I think both Brian's and Mike's folks realized that this board houses some of the most passionate and knowledgeable fans of any band anywhere. But that meant that, for whatever reason, the last explosion of a year or two ago here was particularly nasty. Because these weren't abstract figures we were talking about anymore. They were like family members. Not that close, mind you. Like an aunt or uncle you don't see that often. But still, family.

There's a bunch of history here, some of it quite gnarled and disputed. I know there are certain posts of mine, from many years ago, that were removed at one point. (Which is a real shame, because I thought they were hilarious and misunderstood.) Folks have left and come back and left again. I give the current mods credit for trying to build this place back with as much transparency as possible.

Well stated

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 29, 2017, 12:41:19 AM »

So here's some sh*t to stir: I received an email from Wolf Trap yesterday promoting Mike & Bruce's upcoming concert, obviously a "The Beach Boys" concert, and just below the information for the show there was a video. One horrible, horrible little video...they're using this bile to advertise "The Beach Boys" concerts. That cannot be acceptable.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx