gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:11:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62307 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »

Don't forget Pinder comparing BW fans to suicide bombers and joethomasisgod calling for Joe Thomas to kill himself... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »

I concur. I quite enjoyed the "drunken" song-by-song review that was posted on here, even if it pulled no punches; it was hilarious and quite honestly made some (though not all) points that I agreed with, and I don't think it should be been censored.

The ironic thing about that drunken review is that the guy who spearheaded it got so flustered by the critiques that it became a tipping point for his running off to help start another forum. Proving that critiques of someone’s work can indeed effect you personally enough to do drastic things.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »

Can folks imagine how the Kokomaoists would react if Brian said this?

In fact, Love says he prefers the idea of re-recording the group's old favorites now. "Recreating a Beach Boys classic like 'Do It Again' is something I really enjoyed doing," he explains, "so I'm hoping there's more of that to come."

I've only read up to here so far, so I don't know if this topic was addressed later in the thread. I assume not, based on the tenor of this forum lately.

I would like to say that this post is complete trash. I am an absolute Brian Wilson fanboy. But the tone on this forum has swung so far to one side that it seems like a parody.

Given that Brian has had several Beach Boys covers on his solo albums, I don't think anyone in their right mind can take umbrage with Mike's statement above.

Since I've already made an ass of myself, let me add that I feel this attitude is rooted in the reaction to No Pier Pressure, which has somehow become the Fountainhead of the over-exaltation of my main man.

Alright, dig this orange22...

I kinda agree with you on the basic tenor of this forum. There is some overkill going on referring poorly to Mike. And a lot of it comes from one certain poster on this board. And I'm not speaking of CenturyDeprived, HeyJude, Wirestone or most others.

However, I do not agree that this really has to do with No Pier Pressure. I just think it has to do with some people seeing a "conspiracy" in anything that doesn't portray Brian perfectly. Now on the other hand, I think there were human pieces of excrement on this board who were intent on slamming Brian just for kicks (and yes that means No Pier Pressure as well) like Mike's Beard (who gets off on mocking women for their looks and a few other disgusting things), the heinous Sheriff John Stone (who seems to get off on insulting Brian and his physical and mental well being, not to mention thinking Brian is incapable of well, anything) and the despicable racist Jason (The Real Beach Boy).

Now about the covers, once again, nobody said Brian has re-done some Beach Boys tunes. I personally have no problem with him or Mike doing that. Shoot, Paul McCartney did released new versions of Beatles tunes on his album Give My Regards to Broad Street along with an additional re-recording of "The Long and Winding Road" on his single for "Figure of Eight" so it's not like this stuff is unheard of. Dylan released a rerecording of "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" a few years ago (2008 I think?) and shoot, he even re-recorded "Chimes of Freedom" with Joan Osbourne (!?!) around 1998. So yeah.

The difference I would say is that while Brian and Paul and Dylan have done this stuff, it's not all that they do. Out of Mike Love's last 5 album projects that garnered release of some kind, we have:

• Stars & Stripes Volume 1
  • Mike Love, Bruce Johnston and David Marks of the Beach Boys Salute NASCAR
  • Summertime Cruisin'
  • That's Why God Made The Radio
  • "Forthcoming" new re-recordings album

Ergo, if we include Mike's supposed new album project (which I doubt will see release, since he's so fearful of failure he won't put an album out) that would be four out his last five projects that were based on old material. So while Bob, Brian and Paul put out new stuff (sure, at a much slower clip than the old days), Mike either does nothing when he does show up, he puts out re-recorded old stuff.

I think NPP was a bit of a tipping point here.  I did see a lot of posts in 2015 where people who expressed disappointment with Brian's album were accused of attacking Brian personally, which is silly to me. 

I concur. I quite enjoyed the "drunken" song-by-song review that was posted on here, even if it pulled no punches; it was hilarious and quite honestly made some (though not all) points that I agreed with, and I don't think it should be been censored.

While I enjoyed the NPP album (bar two songs), I thought the "drunken" review was pretty funny too.  I didn't really understand what the big deal was. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »

Don't forget Pinder comparing BW fans to suicide bombers and joethomasisgod calling for Joe Thomas to kill himself... Roll Eyes

Jeesh, yeah. There are so many examples of stupidity from around that time. People wonder why this place has a different tone? Gee, how about the current Wild Honey debate and some guy throughout the years trying to convince fans that Carl produced most of the record? How about the guy who PMd people false information about Brian, his career, and family? How about the guy who admitted to saying horrible things about Brian, his wife, and his mental illness because he loved Brian more than his own family? How about the Mike apologists who would end up creating pages of useless debate trying to defend the guy? The list goes on and on and on...the details of some of that sh*t are sickening and I’m not exaggerating. It really sucks, I learned a lot about the fandom in the last couple years and it really turned me off of this band for a long while. The politics, the lies, the bullshit from certain quarters. So yeah, NPP aside, if there’s a tone here it’s because some people did some really shitty things to try and smear Brian and his wife. Nuff said.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:13 PM »

In fact, Love says he prefers the idea of re-recording the group's old favorites now. "Recreating a Beach Boys classic like 'Do It Again' is something I really enjoyed doing," he explains, "so I'm hoping there's more of that to come."

I've only read up to here so far, so I don't know if this topic was addressed later in the thread. I assume not, based on the tenor of this forum lately.

I would like to say that this post is complete trash. I am an absolute Brian Wilson fanboy. But the tone on this forum has swung so far to one side that it seems like a parody.

Given that Brian has had several Beach Boys covers on his solo albums, I don't think anyone in their right mind can take umbrage with Mike's statement above.

Since I've already made an ass of myself, let me add that I feel this attitude is rooted in the reaction to No Pier Pressure, which has somehow become the Fountainhead of the over-exaltation of my main man.

I kinda agree with you on the basic tenor of this forum. There is some overkill going on referring poorly to Mike. And a lot of it comes from one certain poster on this board. And I'm not speaking of CenturyDeprived, HeyJude, Wirestone or most others.

However, I do not agree that this really has to do with No Pier Pressure. I just think it has to do with some people seeing a "conspiracy" in anything that doesn't portray Brian perfectly. Now on the other hand, I think there were human pieces of excrement on this board who were intent on slamming Brian just for kicks (and yes that means No Pier Pressure as well) like Mike's Beard (who gets off on mocking women for their looks and a few other disgusting things), the heinous Sheriff John Stone (who seems to get off on insulting Brian and his physical and mental well being, not to mention thinking Brian is incapable of well, anything) and the despicable racist Jason (The Real Beach Boy).

Now about the covers, once again, nobody said Brian has re-done some Beach Boys tunes. I personally have no problem with him or Mike doing that. Shoot, Paul McCartney did released new versions of Beatles tunes on his album Give My Regards to Broad Street along with an additional re-recording of "The Long and Winding Road" on his single for "Figure of Eight" so it's not like this stuff is unheard of. Dylan released a rerecording of "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" a few years ago (2008 I think?) and shoot, he even re-recorded "Chimes of Freedom" with Joan Osbourne (!?!) around 1998. So yeah.

The difference I would say is that while Brian and Paul and Dylan have done this stuff, it's not all that they do. Out of Mike Love's last 5 album projects that garnered release of some kind, we have:

• Summertime Cruisin'

Ergo, if we include Mike's supposed new album project (which I doubt will see release, since he's so fearful of failure he won't put an album out) that would be four out his last five projects that were based on old material. So while Bob, Brian and Paul put out new stuff (sure, at a much slower clip than the old days), Mike either does nothing when he does show up, he puts out re-recorded old stuff.

I think NPP was a bit of a tipping point here.  I did see a lot of posts in 2015 where people who expressed disappointment with Brian's album were accused of attacking Brian personally, which is silly to me.  

I agree that there is an element [read: one, maybe two posters] on this board who perceived people not liking the album as some kind of conspiracy to tear down Brian and his accomplishments.  However, I also personally thought that people like Nicko1234, Pinder Goes to Kokomo, Sheriff John Stone, Jason, etc. all seemed to be explicit in the mocking of the album, and kind of egging on the pro-Brian segment. It was basically useless on both ends.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 27, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »

Nicko1234 was really grimy. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 27, 2017, 01:50:45 PM »

• Summertime Cruisin'

I think NPP was a bit of a tipping point here.  I did see a lot of posts in 2015 where people who expressed disappointment with Brian's album were accused of attacking Brian personally, which is silly to me.  

I agree that there is an element [read: one, maybe two posters] on this board who perceived people not liking the album as some kind of conspiracy to tear down Brian and his accomplishments.  However, I also personally thought that people like Nicko1234, Pinder Goes to Kokomo, Sheriff John Stone, Jason, etc. all seemed to be explicit in the mocking of the album, and kind of egging on the pro-Brian segment. It was basically useless on both ends.

Let’s call it two (which includes me). And yeah, the list you provided were people who clearly wanted to rip the album for the sake of pissing Brian fans off. Which is why I still feel there was an agenda to troll and irritate people during a time when Brian was releasing an album he worked fairly hard on. The guy who wrote Pet Sounds writes an album in 2017, again I don’t feel it’s in anyone’s best interest for said album to be used a childish satirical playground for some cheap laughs. Again, there were many good reviews that held negative thoughts about the album, but they weren’t dipshit cheapshots at the hard work that Brian put into the album.

And KDS, to aleviate your confusion, I posted my answer as to “what the big deal was” on the previous page.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:58:53 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »

Imagine you work on a painting for two years of your life. You take the time to pick out the perfect colors, you choose your brushes carefully, you spend a while shopping around for different textured canvases. You base your painting off new ideas and ideas from decades ago (basically, you’re fully utilizing the vast ocean of your creativity). After two years of hard work, trying to make every brush stroke perfect, you finally release it to the world.  

Then some of your supposed “fans” say your work is a “steaming pile of dogshit”, or that “it’s a stupid fucking painting”, I can go back and find more examples of these childish critiques of Brian’s album/songs if you want. There are plenty. Just saying that yeah, it’s disrespectful personally to an artist of Brian’s caliber comparing their work to canine feces or using the album as a satirical playground to get some laughs.

For an album 2 years in the making, you wouldn’t say “it’s a stupid fucking pop song” or “this album is dogshit” to Brian’s face...because it’s disrespectful and you know it would hurt the guys feelings. This was my point when we painstakingly debated about this last time.

I didn't get involved in this discussion last time and, I must say, I have not been able to get through NPP once since it's been released so I am not going to comment on the strengths of the album either way. But I'm not certain on your point. Doesn't most art take some work to make? And if that's the case, does it follow that people shouldn't ever have a negative response to any artistic work?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2017, 02:15:59 PM »

Imagine you work on a painting for two years of your life. You take the time to pick out the perfect colors, you choose your brushes carefully, you spend a while shopping around for different textured canvases. You base your painting off new ideas and ideas from decades ago (basically, you’re fully utilizing the vast ocean of your creativity). After two years of hard work, trying to make every brush stroke perfect, you finally release it to the world.  

Then some of your supposed “fans” say your work is a “steaming pile of dogshit”, or that “it’s a stupid fucking painting”, I can go back and find more examples of these childish critiques of Brian’s album/songs if you want. There are plenty. Just saying that yeah, it’s disrespectful personally to an artist of Brian’s caliber comparing their work to canine feces or using the album as a satirical playground to get some laughs.

For an album 2 years in the making, you wouldn’t say “it’s a stupid fucking pop song” or “this album is dogshit” to Brian’s face...because it’s disrespectful and you know it would hurt the guys feelings. This was my point when we painstakingly debated about this last time.

I didn't get involved in this discussion last time and, I must say, I have not been able to get through NPP once since it's been released so I am not going to comment on the strengths of the album either way. But I'm not certain on your point. Doesn't most art take some work to make? And if that's the case, does it follow that people shouldn't ever have a negative response to any artistic work?

As I said in my last post there are negative critiques that weren’t childish attempts at humor. I mean, I read a lot of negative reviews that I could see merit in and agreed with many points. But there were many reviews that were just plain disrespectful. I totally get if people don’t like the album, I can see why ‘Runaway Dancer’ is mostly frowned upon, but to call it a “stupid fucking pop song” is disrespectful to the man who has spent his whole life trying to genuinely bring great music to the world. That’s my opinion on it.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »

Good god. The horror.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2017, 05:32:51 PM »

Ya know, I think the story went that around the time of Brian’s Christmas album, Brian’s camp uploaded a little demo or something for the fans on his website, and some poster absolutely ripped it apart. Brian read the post and apparently felt like sh*t...however he took it, after that not another demo was released on the website for the fans.

So yeah, “good god the horror”. I get that this sh*t doesn’t matter to some fans here, but others realize that Brian is a guy who has genuinely never said a bad word about really anyone, is a pretty sensitive guy, and he just wants to record the best music he can in his final years left on this planet. So yeah, when people childishly sh*t all over some of the last music he’ll ever record for a cheap laugh it annoys some of us.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »

Addressing this first. It was not censored. I don't know where you got that from unless that was the narrative being sold elsewhere.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »

Next to Jim and KDS. If it's all about the music as that catch phrase has been used repeatedly, this thread is about the music and the video that Mike just released. Why you chose to dredge up topics from 2015 and in Jim's case, take bullshit cheap shots at people without having the balls to use the names or contact them off the board to air any beefs without disrupting others' discussions, is something you'll have to explain further. But it's a cheap tactic that doesn't work anymore, and won't work. If you don't like negative responses to the music Mike released, or his video, then I'd suggest not reading it.

And KDS - You need to brush up on your history. Check the posts made prior to the NPP album even being released, then once it was released, the posts that were soon shot to sh*t by people actually involved in the making of the album explaining how and why things were done. You know, things like Brian being ignorant or unaware of who he was working with, Brian mailing it in in terms of producing and recording the music, Brian not being involved in the songwriting, Brian not doing this or that, Brian's "handlers" making decisions for him since he was unaware or unable himself, all of that bullshit...and it was often done with the cheap shots taken by posters who had either just signed up, or had a post history of less than 3 total posts since Fall 2012 or whenever those alias and dormant accounts were set up. It was all duly noted, I suggest you duly note some of that with your own eyes before making blanket statements about what did or didn't happen.

And since we're on the topic outside what the actual topic here is, maybe you could explain why you have posted here like everything was smooth and clean, then went over to your other forum and talked sh*t about this board and members here knowing they couldn't reply directly. It's easy to see you're into defending Mike on any number of issues where fans have called him out, but this running to friendly pastures and taking shots at this place has also been duly noted through the past year. If you take issue with the way this place is as an open forum, why bother reading and posting here?

And Jim: A conspiracy suggests something didn't happen. You know better. Consider taking your personal beefs off the discussions about the music and related topics.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:20 PM »

Ya know, I think the story went that around the time of Brian’s Christmas album, Brian’s camp uploaded a little demo or something for the fans on his website, and some poster absolutely ripped it apart. Brian read the post and apparently felt like sh*t...however he took it, after that not another demo was released on the website for the fans.

So yeah, “good god the horror”. I get that this sh*t doesn’t matter to some fans here, but others realize that Brian is a guy who has genuinely never said a bad word about really anyone, is a pretty sensitive guy, and he just wants to record the best music he can in his final years left on this planet. So yeah, when people childishly sh*t all over some of the last music he’ll ever record for a cheap laugh it annoys some of us.

That is pretty much what happened with the online track whatever year all that went down. Brian released that Christmas song as an online exclusive, some must have thought it was funny to sh*t on it, Brian read the posts, and after that the faucet got shut off. No more exclusives along those lines. So whoever that was who did all that, you got your kicks and can now live with the knowledge that you ruined a good thing for a lot of fans and made Brian himself feel bad about a song that was released as a thank you to the fans. Good for you, now f*** off, whoever you are. And I meant that then, and still mean it now.

Now the shoe is on the other foot in some cases, and there is an outcry against the "bashing" and negativity? Please...check the history and the facts.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »

Hell, these same fans think I am Melinda Wilson due to idolization of some fanboy "historian".... Angry

KDS
« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2017, 06:48:39 PM »

Next to Jim and KDS. If it's all about the music as that catch phrase has been used repeatedly, this thread is about the music and the video that Mike just released. Why you chose to dredge up topics from 2015 and in Jim's case, take bullshit cheap shots at people without having the balls to use the names or contact them off the board to air any beefs without disrupting others' discussions, is something you'll have to explain further. But it's a cheap tactic that doesn't work anymore, and won't work. If you don't like negative responses to the music Mike released, or his video, then I'd suggest not reading it.

And KDS - You need to brush up on your history. Check the posts made prior to the NPP album even being released, then once it was released, the posts that were soon shot to sh*t by people actually involved in the making of the album explaining how and why things were done. You know, things like Brian being ignorant or unaware of who he was working with, Brian mailing it in in terms of producing and recording the music, Brian not being involved in the songwriting, Brian not doing this or that, Brian's "handlers" making decisions for him since he was unaware or unable himself, all of that bullshit...and it was often done with the cheap shots taken by posters who had either just signed up, or had a post history of less than 3 total posts since Fall 2012 or whenever those alias and dormant accounts were set up. It was all duly noted, I suggest you duly note some of that with your own eyes before making blanket statements about what did or didn't happen.

And since we're on the topic outside what the actual topic here is, maybe you could explain why you have posted here like everything was smooth and clean, then went over to your other forum and talked sh*t about this board and members here knowing they couldn't reply directly. It's easy to see you're into defending Mike on any number of issues where fans have called him out, but this running to friendly pastures and taking shots at this place has also been duly noted through the past year. If you take issue with the way this place is as an open forum, why bother reading and posting here?

And Jim: A conspiracy suggests something didn't happen. You know better. Consider taking your personal beefs off the discussions about the music and related topics.

I didnt specifically take shots at any specific board, but made a general observation on the comments on Mikes single on various boards.  

And you're right.  I do enjoy posting on here due to my fascination with The Beach Boys.  And, I know I shouldnt get worked up about the Mike bashing.  But sometimes when valid criticism devolves into hatefests, I cant help myself.  Open forum, right?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 27, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »

I was actually commenting on the video referred to in the title of the thread. But thanks for trying to suck me back into the ongoing drama.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: July 27, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »

I didnt specifically take shots at any specific board, but made a general observation on the comments on Mikes single on various boards.  

And you're right.  I do enjoy posting on here due to my fascination with The Beach Boys.  And, I know I shouldnt get worked up about the Mike bashing.  But sometimes when valid criticism devolves into hatefests, I cant help myself.  Open forum, right?

You clearly forgot about your posting habits over the past year and few months. Multiple times you have trash talked this place on another forum where you knew some of the people you were trash talking couldn't or wouldn't respond, and I did not say nor did I mean solely in the past week about Mike's single. I said "past year". Maybe you need to refresh your memory on those posts too, after rereading the sh*t that got posted prior to and just after NPP was released. Hatefests? You didn't have a problem with those, nor did you seem to mind the Beavis and Butthead get drunk and talk NPP thread or whatever that was called. Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house, they say. Good advice.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 27, 2017, 07:00:42 PM »

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Smiley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: July 27, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »

Are you still lying about this place on the other forum?

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »

What?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »

What?

Did I stutter?

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

What?

Did I stutter?

Why are you so angry?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

I have no time for liars. So are you still lying about this place on other forums?

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 27, 2017, 07:20:38 PM »

I have no time for liars. So are you still lying about this place on other forums?

Feel free to go over there and check my post history.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:30:18 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx