gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:56:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62335 times)
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2017, 07:34:22 PM »

It's a theory that I can't agree or disagree with due to lack of facts.  I just think it's possible. 

That's pretty specious reasoning in my opinion. I could say that Mike wanted to marry Melinda during the 2012 tour, and we don't really have any facts that prove or disprove that either.

I think there's zero evidence Melinda wanted Brian to leave the BBs in 2012. The fact that Brian participated in a 73-date tour with the band, produced and wrote their album, had plans to write and produce another, and wanted to book gigs at Wrigley Field and Madison Square Garden would all tend to undercut this weird claim.

The only thing this claim could possibly do is absolve Mike of the blame for ending C50, which seems pretty convenient. Even *Mike* doesn't refute that Brian wanted to continue the reunion and he (Mike) didn't.

Further, why would Brian and Melinda continue to work with David Marks and Al Jardine on tour in 2013 if she wanted to separate Brian from the band and go back to being "solo."

Not to mention, Brian doing solo stuff and being in the BBs wouldn't have been mutually exclusive anyway.

So I'm calling bulls**t on this "theory." Meanwhile, what if Mike secretly was upset about TWGMTR because he *actually* wanted to write with Joe Thomas, not Brian? What if it was David Marks that secretly was behind the autotune? What if Mike was the one who actually didn't want Ambha to sing "Sail on Sailor" and was secretly hoping Melinda would successfully get that dropped from that setlist? I can make up all sorts of fun stuff.

I am calling complete bullshit to this nonsense theory. Brian was clear : " I am a Beach Boy now". He started working on a followup to TWGMTR and as far as he was concerned he would remain a Beach Boy. Look who is on the stage with Brian FFS. It's as bogus as " Melinda attached autotune devices to the mics".    Bullocks
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:54 PM »

(Microphone drop!)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

Firstly, Ray thank you for debunking yet another ridiculous theory on this forum.

Secondly, had to post this from another thread:

There's nothing good to be said?

That hotel deserves major kudos for offering such clean bedsheets and drapes to their guests.

I’m picturing Bruce sifting through the minibar selection while across the room Stamos and Mark McGrath are jumping around singing karaoke to the studio track of DIA ‘17. The music is being played so loud the front desk is getting complaints.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:19 PM »

Firstly, Ray thank you for debunking yet another ridiculous theory on this forum.

That hotel deserves major kudos for offering such clean bedsheets and drapes to their guests.

I’m picturing Bruce sifting through the minibar selection while across the room Stamos and Mark McGrath are jumping around singing karaoke to the studio track of DIA ‘17. The music is being played so loud the front desk is getting complaints.

The buttons on Mikey's shirt are tapping out. Hopefully the Best Western this was filmed at provided continental breakfast.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »

It's a theory that I can't agree or disagree with due to lack of facts.  I just think it's possible. 

That's pretty specious reasoning in my opinion. I could say that Mike wanted to marry Melinda during the 2012 tour, and we don't really have any facts that prove or disprove that either.

I think there's zero evidence Melinda wanted Brian to leave the BBs in 2012. The fact that Brian participated in a 73-date tour with the band, produced and wrote their album, had plans to write and produce another, and wanted to book gigs at Wrigley Field and Madison Square Garden would all tend to undercut this weird claim.

The only thing this claim could possibly do is absolve Mike of the blame for ending C50, which seems pretty convenient. Even *Mike* doesn't refute that Brian wanted to continue the reunion and he (Mike) didn't.

Further, why would Brian and Melinda continue to work with David Marks and Al Jardine on tour in 2013 if she wanted to separate Brian from the band and go back to being "solo."

Not to mention, Brian doing solo stuff and being in the BBs wouldn't have been mutually exclusive anyway.

So I'm calling bulls**t on this "theory." Meanwhile, what if Mike secretly was upset about TWGMTR because he *actually* wanted to write with Joe Thomas, not Brian? What if it was David Marks that secretly was behind the autotune? What if Mike was the one who actually didn't want Ambha to sing "Sail on Sailor" and was secretly hoping Melinda would successfully get that dropped from that setlist? I can make up all sorts of fun stuff.

I am calling complete bullshit to this nonsense theory. Brian was clear : " I am a Beach Boy now". He started working on a followup to TWGMTR and as far as he was concerned he would remain a Beach Boy. Look who is on the stage with Brian FFS. It's as bogus as " Melinda attached autotune devices to the mics".    Bullocks

Ugh. Such a bummer just reading this. Incredible that Mike Love broke up the band to play Shitville, NC rather than continue to tour with Brian and Al and make new music with them.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »

If a legit big tour coupled with a really good well received album that sold well wasn't enough to get BRI to say "Hey, something needs to be done about the band name!!!" then a throwaway download only remake isn't either.

I don't agree with you a lot KDS, but that right there really did say it. If Brian and/or Al wanted to press the issue 2012 probably woulda been the best time, especially as Mike's back really was to wall as far as public opinion at the end of that tour with the way he handled it. As the years have went on, part of me suspects Brian doesn't really mind anymore, and though Al isn't happy about The Beach Boys status, he's happy to be touring with Brian, Blondie and his son.

In fact, if I were Brian and Al, before even agreeing to return for C50, Id have said, if after these summer shows, we go back to business as usual, the name needs to be changed to "Mike Love's Beach Boys."

No way Mike would have agreed to that. Had Brian and Al insisted on that, there would have been no C50.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2017, 12:48:37 AM »

The difference between missteps of the past (especially the 60s/70s/80s) and now is that now, in 2017, and for the last five years if not longer, there has been a *clear* path towards resuscitating and rehabilitating the "brand."

Essentially, the formula to do it was C50. As Howie Edelson said, the Beach Boys were getting *huge* press, and *good* press, and were doing so with no presence on classic rock radio. Mike indeed went from Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger overnight. They *did* take what Mike had steered into an AARP brand and turned it into an arena rock band.

When they biffed things in the 70s and 80s, they were often at a low ebb and there wasn't a clear path that they *should* have taken instead (other than to just keep making albums and try to stay relevant).

But in 2012 or 2017, there's a clear path to accolades and good reviews and building a good rep with critics that matter. To build on the indie/nerd fan cred and all of that. And it's C50, and "Smile". It's *not* John Stamos and Full House and Mark McGrath. You can call it "snobbery" or "elitism" all you want, but that's the deal. And it's better for *everyone*, including the band and the brand and the legacy and hardcore fans and casual fans, for the band to dispense with the "Stamos/Full House" path which garners snickers and laughs and eye rolls among plenty of fans, and go for the reunion band getting rave reviews in Rolling Stone and getting a good review in the New York Times for a gig at Madison Square Garden.

Yeah, it *does* mean that you won't get to drive five minutes to see Mike's band at your local fair or get to see Ike, Totten, and Foskett sing half the leads during the show (though you'd probably still get at least Totten for another reunion tour). Yeah, it does mean the "oooh, Uncle Jessie is on this tour?" fans might be alienated when the band skips the bit where Stamos croons on stage or Mike shows old clips on the video screen, and instead you hear Brian sing "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times."

I cut the band of decades and decades ago a little bit more slick for bad decisions because there wasn't (and still isn't always in retrospect) one clear path concerning what they *should* have done to be more successful or stay more relevant, etc.

But in 2017, it's crystal clear. And Mike rejects that. He gave up rehabilitating his own image (in addition to reinvigorating a tired brand stretched thin and devalued by Mike's incessant touring and lack of interest in creating anything new), he gave up prestigious gigs at places like Madison Square Garden, so that he could go back to his own band and play bowling alleys in Anchorage. He derided Brian's original songs in 2012 because it was more "downer music", not to mention that Brian didn't want to write alone from scratch, then ditched Brian and Al and went to releasing remakes and old outtakes (let us not forget that his two previous "new" songs prior to DIA were a decade-old solo track "Pisces Brothers", and a re-recording of a nearly 40-year-old outtake in "Alone on Christmas Day"). Mike gave up building *everybody* in the band up individually and collectively, and instead went back to trashing Melinda and Brian and bringing up decades-old drug use. Mike not only doesn't seem to "get it", he's actually regressed in many ways. Remember back in 1992 when he was all hot and bothered about the songwriting lawsuit? Then he *won* the lawsuit, and then for some random reason about 20 years later started whining and complaining about the songwriting thing *again.* It seems sometimes he not only can't help himself when it comes to being negative, he maybe somehow relishes it. The only thing he can be positive about are vapid and ill-conceived items like his new single.

He is a large, stinking turd, end of story.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:23 AM »

Mike has really pushed the BBs fans' willingness to forgive to the limit.....

Past the limit IMO.

Daly, Chicago 1968
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2017, 07:32:40 AM »

Glad to see Ray return with a great post! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »

+1

Brian really has been put through so, so much unnecessary turmoil and heartache due to being blood related to a couple of narcissistic egomaniacs. The way that it can f*** with a person to have people show them actual love... then sh*t on them... then show them love again... then sh*t on them again... repeat, repeat, repeat... is unquantifiable.

Those who coddle, nurture, and enable narcissists' behavior should be ashamed of themselves.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:16:25 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wiggy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »

Nah, Bruce would have left the room, pissed off with Stamos for adjusting the mike... (that's *MY* job)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

+1

Brian really has been put through so, so much unnecessary turmoil and heartache due to being blood related to a couple of narcissistic egomaniacs. The way that it can f*** with a person to have people show them actual love... then sh*t on them... then show them love again... then sh*t on them again... repeat, repeat, repeat... is unquantifiable.

Those who coddle, nurture, and enable narcissists' behavior should be ashamed of themselves.

Right on, all of the above.

Daly, Chicago 1968
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

I'm inside this afternoon catching up on some things, online and otherwise, waiting for some serious thunderstorms to hit my area. I've had WXPN on the radio all afternoon. Earlier they played the original Do It Again. The Many Moods Of Ben Vaughn weekly show just started at 5, Ben's "Summer Special" episode. The first record he spun was...the original Do It Again.

It hit me - not that I needed a reminder - what a fucking amazing radio song that is. How good the original production is. How that Desper drum sound that kicks it off remains one of the coolest studio sounds I've ever heard. How Dennis pulling back the temp and groove in that bridge *ever so slightly* makes for such a great transition...

And I'm thinking what could possibly be the purpose of remaking it and releasing it in July 2017...of shooting a video with a hotel bedsheet as the backdrop and three bros mugging for the camera...and why bother at all when it's been remade where and when it made sense to do it?

Just rambling thoughts after hearing such a great classic BB's record twice on the radio in a few hours.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »

Hell yeah GF, my brother played the new version to annoy me and I turned on the original instead. I was excited and practically overjoyed to hear the BBs!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »

Isn't it amazing to hear that original record and reconnect with it, then compare it to what Mike just released? I mean...for f***'s sake, what was Mike hoping to accomplish and whose idea was all of this? The gap between the record from '68 and this 2017 remake is a million light years apart...it's mind-boggling.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 24, 2017, 02:34:24 AM »

Wondering if it would have been better or worse to have released the same exact song as a "Do It Again" cover by Mark McGrath featuring Mike Love and a cameo by John Stamos.  Evil
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »

This just in..the DIA remake and vid are terrible.

I have a somewhat unrelated question. A project like Sunshine Tomorrow: Do the guys (read Mike) have any input into these releases? I assume at some shareholder level, they are approved, but if Mike wanted to roll up his sleeves, review tapes, make suggestions etc., Is this something that would happen. Or are they left to Boyd, Linett, et al.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. It is just that this thread has discussed the build up/tear down of legacy. I know Mike speaks often about his creative input into Endless Summer. If he was active in development of these archival projects and could grab credit for doing so publicly, would he be less likely to be doing...well Doing It Again!!

I am a Mike fan, I appreciate his contributions, past and present to the Beach Boys. This 'Do it Again' drop, seems way off base though.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 24, 2017, 09:23:18 AM »

Wondering if it would have been better or worse to have released the same exact song as a "Do It Again" cover by Mark McGrath featuring Mike Love and a cameo by John Stamos.  Evil

That's a good point. I think it's possible they could have had a bigger hit if they just flipped the marketing like that a bit, with Mike's name taking a back seat.

That, and if they also added a backing band of few more cameos in the vein of Uncle Jesse - Uncle Joey, The Woodchuck, Comet The Dog, Kimmie Gibler, and the other Tanner family (The Tanners from ALF), ALF himself... and don't forget Mrs. Ochmonek.

That's really the only thing the song's missing. It could be released as Do It Again and Again and Again and Again.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:26:06 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 24, 2017, 10:37:48 AM »

This just in..the DIA remake and vid are terrible.

I have a somewhat unrelated question. A project like Sunshine Tomorrow: Do the guys (read Mike) have any input into these releases? I assume at some shareholder level, they are approved, but if Mike wanted to roll up his sleeves, review tapes, make suggestions etc., Is this something that would happen. Or are they left to Boyd, Linett, et al.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. It is just that this thread has discussed the build up/tear down of legacy. I know Mike speaks often about his creative input into Endless Summer. If he was active in development of these archival projects and could grab credit for doing so publicly, would he be less likely to be doing...well Doing It Again!!

I am a Mike fan, I appreciate his contributions, past and present to the Beach Boys. This 'Do it Again' drop, seems way off base though.

BRI has to sign off on the release of any previously unreleased material. So yes to that question.

As to band member participation, it's my understanding that they're always open to as much input and participation as members want to offer. I think it has varied from project to project, but certainly for "Sunshine Tomorrow" it sounds like Howie Edelson was able to interview most or all of the guys.

I sense that Mike or Al, for instance, are probably more likely to be involved in selecting or saying yay or nay to song selections than they are getting elbow-deep in actually editing or mixing. Although, Al did do new recording on archival tracks back in 1998 for "Loop de Loop" and "Santa's Got an Airplane" and I believe he was involved in mixing at least one '77 X-Mas album track for "Ultimate Christmas" ("Bells of Christmas") where the final original mix was missing. Similarly, Mike had some guitar added to "Goin' to the Beach" for MIC.

But I would imagine the only projects they *aren't* possibly consulted on when it comes to Capitol/UMe releases would be the budget-line hits compilations that continue to appear.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 24, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »

CD!!!!!! LOL

ericxplackis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2017, 06:08:22 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

Lmao
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »

I'd buy the ALF single.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2017, 07:47:57 PM »

I'd buy the ALF single.

I'm legit surprised that Mike didn't try to get a Help Me, Rhonda studio remake going with The BBs + ALF in the late '80s, considering how often the song and Rhonda (ALF's Melmacian girlfriend) were referenced on the show. I guess they had a non-competing Tanners clause in the Full House contract (seeing as The Tanners were also the family name on ALF)?

I'd bet bucks that if ALF had picked a BBs song with a Mike lead to continually reference, that Mike would have found a way to propose an ALF duet. Totally serious.

Side note: HeyJude, why the ALF profile pic? It always cracks me up and I'm continually glad to see ALF's face when I see your posts.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2017, 09:15:48 PM »

They actually issued Alf singles and an album in Germany!

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »

Of the three,  Sugar Ray has aged the worst.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx