gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:04:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62319 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »

Billy! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!  w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »

Seriously, you'd want to take the touring license away for this?  

I have to ask, do you think Mike Love deserves to tour under the name "The Beach Boys" (not to mention promote solo work under that name) despite the fact that he froze Brian and Al out of the band after C50? Ergo, does it seem fair to you that he could basically "quit the band" in 2012 so he could go back and then for all intents and purposes be the band on his own? That to me is just inherently shitty behavior.

In all honesty, I believe the name The Beach Boys should have been retired when Carl passed away.  Or even amended to something like "Mike Love's Beach Boys" (as is pretty common with many British Invasion bands).  And, frankly, I'd feel the same way if Al Jardine or Brian Wilson were the sole members.  

But, legally, he has the right to tour as The Beach Boys.  And I think it's fair that he can't release new material as "The Beach Boys."  The live arena and the studio are two different things.  There was a touring version of Thin Lizzy well after Lynott died, but they decided to change the name when they went back into the studio.  

So, if I could pay to see The Yardbirds with only Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty, I'm fine with seeing The Beach Boys with Mike and Bruce.  

To use that analogy, this is like Dreja remaking  Heart Full of Soul with a new band and Treat Williams in the background going "Heart full heart full"

edit

Not trying to argue, just to put out my own viewpoint.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:24:25 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2017, 01:29:33 PM »

I have to ask, do you think Mike Love deserves to tour under the name "The Beach Boys" (not to mention promote solo work under that name) despite the fact that he froze Brian and Al out of the band after C50? Ergo, does it seem fair to you that he could basically "quit the band" in 2012 so he could go back and then for all intents and purposes be the band on his own? That to me is just inherently shitty behavior.

In all honesty, I believe the name The Beach Boys should have been retired when Carl passed away.  Or even amended to something like "Mike Love's Beach Boys" (as is pretty common with many British Invasion bands).  And, frankly, I'd feel the same way if Al Jardine or Brian Wilson were the sole members.  

But, legally, he has the right to tour as The Beach Boys.  And I think it's fair that he can't release new material as "The Beach Boys."  The live arena and the studio are two different things.  There was a touring version of Thin Lizzy well after Lynott died, but they decided to change the name when they went back into the studio.  

So, if I could pay to see The Yardbirds with only Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty, I'm fine with seeing The Beach Boys with Mike and Bruce.  

To use that analogy, this is like Dreja remaking  Heart Full of Soul with a new band and Treat Williams in the background going "Heart full heart full"

edit

That's all well and good, but if Dreja did that, as Dreja, and did it with Treat Williams at a one time event with The Yardbirds, I don't see the harm. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:29 PM »

3.  Digitally remove the images of past Beach Boys from the pictures and videos on screen

Mike JUST did that in the DIA '17 video! He took video images from 1980 of THE ACTUAL BEACH BOYS performing, and digitally cut around the actual other Beach Boys, leaving only himself. And then cut to images of the adoring fans who were there in 1980 to see the whole band.

Whether or not he did that because he HAD to in order to keep things legally kosher, or whether that was his actual desire, bottom line is that a video that you have just described has been pushed hard by Mike to the screens of many people around the world. He clearly paid a PR person to get Billboard to write an article about DIA '17. He wants content out there in the world, seen by as many people as possible that has digitally removed images of past Beach Boys.

And before we get into the discussion of Brian doing the same in the Pet Sounds tour program, or whatever it was that excluded Mike, let's just keep in mind that Brian is touring as Brian, and not using the BBs brand name these days, whereas Mike deliberately whores out the brand name to promote his "solo" product.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:41:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:41 PM »

3.  Digitally remove the images of past Beach Boys from the pictures and videos on screen

Mike JUST did that in the DIA '17 video! He took video images from 1980 of THE ACTUAL BEACH BOYS performing, and digitally cut around the actual other Beach Boys, leaving only himself. And then cut to images of the adoring fans who were there in 1980 to see the whole band.

Whether or not he did that because he HAD to in order to keep things legally kosher, or whether that was his actual desire, bottom line is that a video that you have just described has been pushed hard by Mike to the screens of many people around the world. He then paid a PR person clearly to get Billboard to write an article about DIA '17 to make sure to get this content onto computer screens all over the place.

He didn't digitally remove them, but used a digital zoom for a disable music video. 

When, The Beach Boys tour, and there are no images of Al, Brian, Carl, or Dennis in the tour book are on the video board they use, then I'd consider that doing serious harm. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »

3.  Digitally remove the images of past Beach Boys from the pictures and videos on screen

Whether or not he did that because he HAD to in order to keep things legally kosher, or whether that was his actual desire, bottom line is that a video that you have just described has been pushed hard by Mike to the screens of many people around the world. He clearly paid a PR person to get Billboard to write an article about DIA '17. He wants content out there in the world, seen by as many people as possible that has digitally removed images of past Beach Boys.

And, I might add, this same single whose video excludes (thank god) most of The Beach Boys, was promoted by The Beach Boys on national television.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2017, 01:42:59 PM »

3.  Digitally remove the images of past Beach Boys from the pictures and videos on screen

Whether or not he did that because he HAD to in order to keep things legally kosher, or whether that was his actual desire, bottom line is that a video that you have just described has been pushed hard by Mike to the screens of many people around the world. He then paid a PR person clearly to get Billboard to write an article about DIA '17 to make sure to get this content onto computer screens all over the place.

He didn't digitally remove them, but used a digital zoom for a disable music video. 

When, The Beach Boys tour, and there are no images of Al, Brian, Carl, or Dennis in the tour book are on the video board they use, then I'd consider that doing serious harm. 

I think we could both agree that even if Mike stooped to doing that, there would still be many rabid defenders who would STILL defend that, even if you wouldn't be one of them.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »

Mike is the BBs! Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »

My hobby is editing video, Mike hire me for including photos of Carl, Al, Dennis and Brian on the board, please!!!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2017, 02:08:10 PM »

In all honesty, I believe the name The Beach Boys should have been retired when Carl passed away.  Or even amended to something like "Mike Love's Beach Boys" (as is pretty common with many British Invasion bands).  And, frankly, I'd feel the same way if Al Jardine or Brian Wilson were the sole members. 

But, legally, he has the right to tour as The Beach Boys.  And I think it's fair that he can't release new material as "The Beach Boys."  The live arena and the studio are two different things.  There was a touring version of Thin Lizzy well after Lynott died, but they decided to change the name when they went back into the studio. 

To use that analogy, this is like Dreja remaking  Heart Full of Soul with a new band and Treat Williams in the background going "Heart full heart full"

edit

That's all well and good, but if Dreja did that, as Dreja, and did it with Treat Williams at a one time event with The Yardbirds, I don't see the harm. 

One time, yeah. Thing is, Mike's been making these type of decisions for many, many years. This isn't a one-off.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Which is the point we have been trying to get across for 10 pages and counting...

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2017, 02:26:41 PM »

And it isn't even close enough to Friday for a "happy Friday  Beer"

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:54 PM »

Oh, come on.

The artistic merits of remakes can be debated -- and have been often in Brian's solo career. I synpathize with the IJWMFTT unplugged-style project, but am less convinced by the Imagination retakes, for instance.

But remakes aren't the real issue here -- and both Paul and Ringo have recorded their share of updated Beatles tunes, so not even the greatest are above it.

It's the same situation with guest artists. You can debate their necessity, and there are some I've liked more than others.

The real question is simply taste and respect for a legacy. This remake and video suggests Mike has precious little of either. That's the issue, and that continues to be the issue.

It's not whether Brian does or doesn't do something that could be described as remotely similar. It's whether Mike's output makes him and us look like damn fools.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:42:27 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Here's another point...Mike is pretty much doing the same thing he accused Brian of with that lawsuit in 2005. Maybe the favor should be returned since Mike has been "shamelessly misappropriat[ing] Brian's songs, likeness and the Beach Boys trademark".

*drops mic*

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

BW is too classy for that! Cool Guy

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2017, 03:17:17 PM »

You're right.

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »

This Classic East/ Classic West thing that is happening right now with major bands is an example of the BB having a reputation as a novelty band.  They should be mentioned with those bands easily but they won't sadly.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »

They do fit the bill...it seems like the only two parameters are to NOT have a hit single in the past twenty-five years and NOT have all your original members...
KDS
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »

Which is the point we have been trying to get across for 10 pages and counting...

Youve made your point.  Ive made mine.  I still dont think its a big deal. 

In the words of Kermit and Fozzie, moving right along
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »

They do fit the bill...it seems like the only two parameters are to NOT have a hit single in the past twenty-five years and NOT have all your original members...

But they wouldn't even be considered is my point. Just like they can't get on classic rock stations.
KDS
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2017, 05:11:23 AM »

But they wouldn't even be considered is my point. Just like they can't get on classic rock stations.

At least in the US, they don't get played on classic rock because the general perception of The Beach Boys is of the early to mid 60s as a surf / car band.  For the most part, classic rock radio ignores the early 60s.   In the States, you're best bet at catching The Beach Boys on the radio on in December. 
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2017, 05:59:17 AM »

At least in the US, they don't get played on classic rock because the general perception of The Beach Boys is of the early to mid 60s as a surf / car band.  For the most part, classic rock radio ignores the early 60s.   In the States, you're best bet at catching The Beach Boys on the radio on in December. 

The only 2 songs I ever hear on the radio is God Only Knows and Little Saint Nick. And not all that often, mainly around the holidays like you pointed out.
KDS
« Reply #173 on: July 20, 2017, 06:02:58 AM »

The only 2 songs I ever hear on the radio is God Only Knows and Little Saint Nick. And not all that often, mainly around the holidays like you pointed out.

In Baltimore, we have a station that goes 100% Christmas music just before Thanksgiving.  They'll play Little Saint Nick and Frosty the Snowman quite a bit.  I'd been told our local classic rock station plays Sloop John B on occasion.  I used to hear Sail on Sailor occasionally, but it's been aged.  And I've heard Kokomo on the variety time stations. 

A couple years ago, while down in Ocean City MD, I actually heard Do It Again on their classic rock station. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 20, 2017, 07:53:42 AM »

A few thoughts on the word “legacy” after reading continuous talk of this elsewhere.

And before anyone reads this and feels like I’m beating a dead horse, it’s just clarification of my own thoughts (mostly for my own benefit and for anyone else interested)...if anyone is tired of debate on this I totally understand: you don’t have to respond with muppet’s quotes or anything...as I said, this is mostly me thinking out loud to make sure I’m thinking about this correctly.

I’d just like to clarify the definition of “legacy” as I think there are some glaring misconceptions about the word. “Legacy” does not just mean that the music will always be there and will always hold up. Legacy is also all the baggage that is carried along with the music. Legacy includes thoughts, feelings, and memories about the entity in question...when you think about The Beach Boys do you have positive thoughts? Positive feelings? Good memories?

With The Beach Boys yeah, mostly all of the above. Do the last three decades of embarrassing antics hurt the 60s/70s music catalogue? Of course not, that music is solidified in time as some of the greatest ever made. Do the last three decades of embarrassing antics hurt the image of the band? Yes.

You see this when a music journalist writes about this band - they usually mention the fractious history of the band in their interviews. You can see this even on the official Beach Boys Facebook page in the comments of the DIA song post that mostly everyone hates. The public reads these articles and comments and their perception of band is altered.

As KDS mentioned yesterday, the Beatles quit after a decade - they didn’t record disco, they didn’t go on sitcom shows, they didn’t have a nasty reunion breakup. They didn’t have these things so their legacy is one of the brightest stars in the sky. But therein proves my point: the actions made by The Beach Boys over the past few decades have altered how bright their star is in the sky...the disco track, the sitcom appearances, etc have all added up the tackiness that is now part of the image of this band....ie part of their legacy.

When we think of The Beatles, we also think of Yoko Ono breaking up the band. That thought will be forever cemented with their legacy. See what I’m getting at? It’s not just the great music but the events that stand out. They could be good events or bad events, but each go hand in hand with the legacy.

The music is safe, and maybe that’s all some fans care about. Others of us care about the group that Brian, Mike, Carl, Dennis, Al, David, Bruce, Blondie, Ricky, belonged to at one point or another. This band is a device that created culture, created introspection, gave people dreams. The music of course is what we listen to and love, but the culture of this band goes right along with the music. And when the image of that band is tarnished time and time again, people remember that when they think of the music (like the Axl Rose example someone made above).

These embarrassing antics don’t effect our enjoyment of the past music, they effect our perception on the vessel that gave us that music. And to some of us, that part of the legacy is almost as important as the music itself.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx