gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62309 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:41 PM »

Here's my perspective: when I usually talk to new people about The Beach Boys I hear one of two things; one, awesome 60s music. Two, laughter about Full House. The latter has happened to me many times in the last decade. And I wish I was joking.

That's my perspective of the legacy. Thus far we have a solo cover that clearly no one likes that was performed by The Beach Boys on national live television across America on one of America's most celebrated holidays. Of course this one lone performance and music video are almost forgetful on their own, but where does it end? I think that's the point people are trying to make.

I mean, rubbersoul, you yourself are talking about booing a Beach Boys concert if that song is played. Let that sink in...you are willing to boo one of your favorite bands over this one song. Imagine when more autotuned/guest artist covers like this come out and they're possibly performed on live television again...how many people will turn off their televisions, change the channel? Will people in that crowd boo too?

Point being, it could turn into another well remembered Full House era, which is why people are miffed about this. Posters like KDS can complain on other forums about those of us worried about the legacy, but frankly given where Mike has steered this band in the past (and how at least one of those moments has latched onto the legacy), I think any worry is well warranted.

You're very right. I guess I am quick to dismiss if this continues to escalate. We'll have to wait and see.

Is there any legal way for Brian or Alan to stop this?

Also, all joking about Bruce aside, I feel like his lack of involvement is very much a conscious decision of his own. As odd and unpredictable as the guy can be, I think he has the musical and commercial brains to see the writing on the wall with this one. I've also always gotten the impression that him and Mike don't really cross paths once they leave the stage. They hardly speak to one another when they're on stage, except when Mike decides to knock Bruce down a peg for writing "I Write The Songs".

Yeah, I really hope Mike just keeps it a solo venture from here on out and that's the last of this. I mean, like you said, Mike is the one getting the flack for this right now. It's when he uses The Beach Boys to promote it that I get wary about where it all could be headed.

As for Al and Brian...I'm not sure what the stipulations are regarding solo songs being promoted by the touring band, and if Brian and Al would even want to pursue such a thing at this point. Even if there was room for them to complain, I doubt they would even want the legal headache that would ensue following such a complaint.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »

Maybe it's forgotten that Mike did nearly the exact same thing with releasing "Alone On Christmas Day". It dropped right when the band Phoenix did the tune on that Bill Murray special, and they released the single they did on Murray's show since they were on the Murray show, then Mike releases a version of it. Piggybacking? Decide for yourselves.

Then "The Beach Boys" appeared on US television doing that song, which was really Mike's own release, just like this current DIA and July 4th and all of that.

As Yogi Berra would call it, it's deja vu all over again.

Right?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2017, 09:47:38 PM »

Here's my perspective: when I usually talk to new people about The Beach Boys I hear one of two things; one, awesome 60s music. Two, laughter about Full House. The latter has happened to me many times in the last decade. And I wish I was joking.

That's my perspective of the legacy. Thus far we have a solo cover that clearly no one likes that was performed by The Beach Boys on national live television across America on one of America's most celebrated holidays. Of course this one lone performance and music video are almost forgetful on their own, but where does it end? I think that's the point people are trying to make.

I mean, rubbersoul, you yourself are talking about booing a Beach Boys concert if that song is played. Let that sink in...you are willing to boo one of your favorite bands over this one song. Imagine when more autotuned/guest artist covers like this come out and they're possibly performed on live television again...how many people will turn off their televisions, change the channel? Will people in that crowd boo too?

Point being, it could turn into another well remembered Full House era, which is why people are miffed about this. Posters like KDS can complain on other forums about those of us worried about the legacy, but frankly given where Mike has steered this band in the past (and how at least one of those moments has latched onto the legacy), I think any worry is well warranted.

EXACTLY

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 12:45:27 AM »

This whole DIA iteration in all its aspects is pathetic, disgusting, nauseating, sickening, irritating, asinine, intolerable, reprehensible, putrid, blasphemous, rancid, horrifying, disastrous, disheartening, sacreligious, untenable, outrageous, ignoble, demeaning, disillusioning, unspeakable, stultifying, catastrophic, ill-conceived, hubrisitc, insipid, dispiriting, barf-inducing, and just plain bad. Now let me tell you what I REALLY think....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:11:52 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 01:35:32 AM »

Sums it up in a nutshell quite nicely

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2017, 02:31:41 AM »

It is truly phenomenal that the guy who said Mick Jagger is too chickensh*t to go on stage with the Beach Boys is the same guy who is too chickensh*t to allow comments on his YouTube videos.

Haha, I was thinking that the guy who said Mick Jagger is too chickenshit to go on stage with the Beach Boys is the same guy who is too chickenshit to go on stage with the Beach Boys. You know, the real Beach Boys like Brian, Alan, David and Blondie.

Oh, and the mere sight of Mark McGrath angers me. I hate his cocky-looking face and his spiked hair that makes him look like he has seen a ghost. Probably the ghost of his career. The sight of him jumping around like an idiot makes me taste bile. Don't get me started on the annoying "Do it, do it" chanting. It must have been difficult to find someone who is that irritating in every facet of their being, but Mike Love found someone. I am sure there were a lot more people who could have done this song with Mike that would have been far less annoying and maybe even pleasant to watch.

John Stamos earned my respect by not being featured too strongly in the video. I am sure he could have been more prominent as he produced it, but he played it smart. It is almost like he is sharing a wink with us, letting us know he is aware of the cacophony surrounding him.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 05:28:48 AM »

My only contribution to this thread is that Mike Love is a talentless hack and a true piece of sh*t in every sense of the word.

You're welcome.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »

I want to Join rab2591 party LOL LOL
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 06:06:28 AM »

I want to Join rab2591 party LOL LOL

LOL we just need someone to be Stamos and we can make our own music video here Grin

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 06:26:01 AM »

All I can say is that if I were John Stamos, I wouldn't put the video on my "Director" highlight reel.

Even the "Noven Jaisi" videos were more creative than this one.

Stamos shot all three of them in front of a white backdrop for an hour with a GoPro, then grabbed 30 seconds of stock footage from two or three concerts, and voila, a "music video." Can anyone explain why there's one point where 1980 Mike Love is lip-synching to Mark McGrath's voice?

But again, as with the PBS show, this video tells you where Mike's head is at and what his preference is. It's quite sad and demoralizing for fans to face, but it's true: Mike looks WAY HAPPIER in this footage than he ever did during C50. Way more comfortable. Because there's nobody in his current setting that he has to compromise with. Mark McGrath and John Stamos never bailed on Mike and collaborated with Van Dyke Parks or Tony Asher. McGrath and Stamos never complained to Mike about cheerleaders on stage.

Mike dealing with his own buddies compared to the other BBs reminds me of that thing that a lot of us have experienced when we were kids, when our parents are seemingly nicer to *other* kids than they are to their own kids. Because there's no baggage, and no consequences. Nothing weighing the whole thing down.

Now, the difference *within* the BBs is that Brian and Al (more so than Bruce or Dave, though Dave has a different set of issues he *could* have with the guys if he wanted) also have to deal with the same baggage and politics and everything that Mike does. Yet *they* came out of C50, and still come out today, seemingly far less disgruntled and have never, in recent years, rejected "The Beach Boys" to hang out with their own buddies.

Mike blocking comments on YouTube also tells you a lot of what you need to know. Meanwhile, the "Beach Boys" Facebook page posted Mike's video and the video and song was of course torn to shreds. And at least *some* of the criticisms were on-point and about the music.

One person said they like Mike, like Sugar Ray, and like "Do It Again", and still *hate* this new recording!  LOL
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:42:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 06:35:51 AM »

Well that's uncomfortable to watch....Those 3 really are peas in a pod. The facial expressions and dance moves will give me nightmares.

It looks like they filmed it in a hotel room with a sheet over the window.
  LOL
KDS
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:48 AM »

All I can say is that if I were John Stamos, I wouldn't put the video on my "Director" highlight reel.

Even the "Noven Jaisi" videos were more creative than this one.

Stamos shot all three of them in front of a white backdrop for an hour with a GoPro, then grabbed 30 seconds of stock footage from two or three concerts, and voila, a "music video." Can anyone explain why there's one point where 1980 Mike Love is lip-synching to Mark McGrath's voice?

But again, as with the PBS show, this video tells you where Mike's head is at and what his preference is. It's quite sad and demoralizing for fans to face, but it's true: Mike looks WAY HAPPIER in this footage than he ever did during C50. Way more comfortable. Because there's nobody in his current setting that he has to compromise with. Mark McGrath and John Stamos never bailed on Mike and collaborated with Van Dyke Parks or Tony Asher. McGrath and Stamos never complained to Mike about cheerleaders on stage.

Mike dealing with his own buddies compared to the other BBs reminds me of that thing that a lot of us have experienced when we were kids, when our parents are seemingly nicer to *other* kids than they are to their own kids. Because there's no baggage, and no consequences. Nothing weighing the whole thing down.

Now, the difference *within* the BBs is that Brian and Al (more so than Bruce or Dave, though Dave has a different set of issues he *could* have with the guys if he wanted) also have to deal with the same baggage and politics and everything that Mike does. Yet *the* came out of C50, and still come out today, seemingly far less disgruntled and have never, in recent years, rejected "The Beach Boys" to hang out with their own buddies.

Mike blocking comments on YouTube also tells you a lot of what you need to know. Meanwhile, the "Beach Boys" Facebook page posted Mike's video and the video and song was of course torn to shreds. And at least *some* of the criticisms were on-point and about the music.

One person said they like Mike, like Sugar Ray, and like "Do It Again", and still *hate* this new recording!  LOL

I know I'm barking up the wrong tree here but.....

If Mike (and Bruce) are content with that they're doing and Brian (and Al) are content with what they're doing (granted Brian does seem a tad bored with Pet Sounds at this point), then what's the harm?

Mike and Bruce (sometimes with David Marks) get to put on really good concerts, and about once a year Mike releases a download only single that's quickly forgotten.  

Brian and Al (with Blondie Chaplin) get to put on really good concerts, and Brian still gets to release music on his own terms without having token Mike songs or giving his questionable producer credits.  

2012 was great, but it's painfully obvious that it wasn't sustainable.  At this point, I just hope Mike and Brian reconnect as people before its too late.  
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 06:58:52 AM »

http://www.petsoundsforum.com/thread/1675/perspective-on-beach-boys-remakes?page=1

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »

Take note of the "usual suspects" remark in his post. Ever notice that the usual suspects are usually correct?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »

Take note of the "usual suspects" remark in his post. Ever notice that the usual suspects are usually correct?

I am proud to call myself a charter member of the "Usual Suspects". Also proud to be a part of such a "toxic" group who gets their facts straight.   Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »

I think OSD is like Kevin Spacy's character from the movie! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2017, 08:01:09 AM »

It's funny, because in the list that KDS meticulously assembled there is only one song there that had been reprehensibly reimagined with a guest star from the 90s for SOLO release that was performed BY THE BEACH BOYS on live national television on a major holiday broadcast.

The issue isn't recording covers, it's recording a solo cover (mostly unanimously decided BAD cover) and then using The Beach Boys band and name to promote that same solo cover single on live television...then promising to do more covers like this in the future. So pardon that a few of us have concerns that Mike will yet again steer The Beach Boys ship into an era that people will laugh and cringe about 20 years from now.

I mean, did we even watch the video? I did from The Beach Boys official Facebook page. Can't wait for more of these videos to pop up there.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »

Back to the video...is it registering at all with the Powers That Be either in Mike's own organization, or BRI, or anywhere else how much the negative comments on this from the public are outweighing the positives?

If market research were a factor here, and such a negative overall reaction was recorded for any product or offering being surveyed, it would be canceled and sent back to the drawing board.

I have to think Mike and/or his people just don't give a sh*t.

I also have to laugh in an egotistical way ( LOL  )  when people in the past tried to blame this forum and even the moderation here for the spread of negativity and toxicity that surrounded Mike's various ventures and the reactions to them...I guess Mike's people turned off YouTube public comments in advance to prevent the public from making positive comments? I guess all those Facebook people posting comments to the BB's "official" page slamming this video are doing it because of this forum's bad influence?

Ha.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »

The Tahoe Bunker blocks out the negative energy..... Wink

But seriously, Mike seems to totally not care about the fanbase when it comes to his actions. Constant rewriting and disrespect to legacy with the latest song as an example will attract criticism from people who are emotionally invested in this group. Unlike others in the "fanbase" who see it as a business or Mike's plaything since he does the "hard work" of touring for 50 plus years.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

I mean, did we even watch the video?

Ahh, the phrase also reminds me of that old chestnut which pops up often. Page 3, paragraph 2 of the playbook, unless there is a new revision. When something Mike Love releases or does gets lambasted and criticized, immediately ask "did you even HEAR the song?", "did you even WATCH the concert?", "did you even READ the book?".

etc, etc, etc.

Implying of course that the "usual suspects" don't bother actually listening, reading, or watching any of these things which they criticize, because it's all about Mike bashing. Then, the criticisms can be dismissed because they're coming from toxic people and toxic non-fans rather than the real fans.

Then when that fails, just say "All this will be forgotten soon, Mike just wants to give the fans a fun project, it's no big deal, time to move on, nothing to see here, make sure to check Ticketmaster for the upcoming tour dates..."

Check the Facebook official BB page for what the public is saying about this. So much for toxicity and usual suspects.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:19:45 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »

It's funny, because in the list that KDS meticulously assembled there is only one song there that had been reprehensibly reimagined with a guest star from the 90s for SOLO release that was performed BY THE BEACH BOYS on live national television on a major holiday broadcast.

The issue isn't recording covers, it's recording a solo cover (mostly unanimously decided BAD cover) and then using The Beach Boys band and name to promote that same solo cover single on live television...then promising to do more covers like this in the future. So pardon that a few of us have concerns that Mike will yet again steer The Beach Boys ship into an era that people will laugh and cringe about 20 years from now.

I mean, did we even watch the video? I did from The Beach Boys official Facebook page. Can't wait for more of these videos to pop up there.

I did watch the video.  I only listening to the single and watched the Capitol Fourth Event.  And I commented both here and PS that it's pretty bad, but at the end of the day, I think it's harmless. 

I will not defend the quality of DIA 17 because, let's be honest, I can't.  It's awful.  But the argument of Mike doing another cover, because he can't do anything original, or that this solo cover somehow taints the legacy is just something that I don't agree with. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »

I did watch the video.  I only listening to the single and watched the Capitol Fourth Event.  And I commented both here and PS that it's pretty bad, but at the end of the day, I think it's harmless. 

I will not defend the quality of DIA 17 because, let's be honest, I can't.  It's awful.  But the argument of Mike doing another cover, because he can't do anything original, or that this solo cover somehow taints the legacy is just something that I don't agree with. 

So you're okay with Mike performing admittedly terrible solo reinterpretations of BB songs using The Beach Boys touring band on live television?

KDS
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:10 AM »

So you're okay with Mike performing admittedly terrible solo reinterpretations of BB songs using The Beach Boys touring band on live television?

As a one time thing, I don't really care.  If Bruce or Scott starts yelling "DO IT!!!  DO IT!!! DO IT!!!" at the shows, then I'd change my opinion. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:54 AM »

Ahh, the phrase also reminds me of that old chestnut which pops up often. Page 3, paragraph 2 of the playbook, unless there is a new revision. When something Mike Love releases or does gets lambasted and criticized, immediately ask "did you even HEAR the song?", "did you even WATCH the concert?", "did you even READ the book?".

etc, etc, etc.

Implying of course that the "usual suspects" don't bother actually listening, reading, or watching any of these things which they criticize, because it's all about Mike bashing. Then, the criticisms can be dismissed because they're coming from toxic people and toxic non-fans rather than the real fans.

Then when that fails, just say "All this will be forgotten soon, Mike just wants to give the fans a fun project, it's no big deal, time to move on, nothing to see here, make sure to check Ticketmaster for the upcoming tour dates..."

Check the Facebook official BB page for what the public is saying about this. So much for toxicity and usual suspects.

Reminds me of page one, paragraph one from that same rulebook: when defending Mike and you've backed yourself into a corner (and you always will), just post "we're just here for the music! Just listen to the music!".

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »

etc, etc, etc.

Reminds me of page one, paragraph one from that same rulebook: when defending Mike and you've backed yourself into a corner (and you always will), just post "we're just here for the music! Just listen to the music!".

I think the playbook itself is subtitled "It's All About The Music".  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx