gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:32:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62325 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:33 PM »

its easier to pretend he is the only Beach Boy.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »

why do new folk start new topics when things are already being discussed?
check what's being said already! f***!

Looks like the posts were made 30 seconds apart. Can’t blame someone for not checking other posts while they’re in the middle of making their own.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 02:39:58 PM »

Is it just me or does even Stamos seem totally sidelined by the heinous McGrath?  Watch at around 1:28 and you can almost see him thinking "Jesus, I'm not getting ANY screen time with this idiot jumping around".

I swear,... there are times in that video where it looks as if even STAMOS is embarresed by being in this travesty. And yeah, Mike finally succeeded in finding someone even more annoying than he is in the from of McGrath. I'll have nightmares tonight of his botoxed face screaming 'do it' at me!

Time to put on Sunshine Tomorrow again and forget all this ever happened...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:41:59 PM by kwan_dk » Logged

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »

Has anyone brought up the fact that the official Beach Boys page on Facebook posted the video three hours ago? What to make of that? I don't really follow the page that closely, but.... did the same thing happen when Brian premiered videos for songs off No Pier Pressure or when Al released his album? Just curious...

Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 02:46:40 PM »

It's time for the BB license to be taken away from the Lovester.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »

Is it just me or does even Stamos seem totally sidelined by the heinous McGrath?  Watch at around 1:28 and you can almost see him thinking "Jesus, I'm not getting ANY screen time with this idiot jumping around".

I swear,... there are times in that video where it looks as if even STAMOS is embarresed by being in this travesty. And yeah, Mike finally succeeded in finding someone even more annoying than he is in the from of McGrath. I'll have nightmares tonight of his botoxed face screaming 'do it' at me!

Time to put on Sunshine Tomorrow again and forget all this ever happened...

You're right. Stamos probably was embarrassed which is probably why he recommended they put in footage of Mike dressed like a clown from the 70s to take the embarrassing spotlight off him.

Part of me wonders if the "Do It!" chant is supposed to cash in on the latest meme crazes of the same phrase.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 02:52:52 PM »

The Lovester is commercial! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:25 PM »

Has anyone brought up the fact that the official Beach Boys page on Facebook posted the video three hours ago? What to make of that? I don't really follow the page that closely, but.... did the same thing happen when Brian premiered videos for songs off No Pier Pressure or when Al released his album? Just curious...

Annnnnd to those still scoffing at those of us wary of the legacy being screwed with (whether you're bitching about this opinion here or currently doing it on other forums), might I suggest you picture the next possible 10+ of these solo covers being broadcast on Beach Boys social media sites over the next couple years.

Kwan_dk, I do believe Brian's solo recordings have made it on The Beach Boys Facebook page...there was one on that main page right when I visited of Brian's recent cover of Sloop at Capitol. That being said, it was a really tasteful cover, not this mess that has mostly both sides of the fandom aisle scratching their heads wondering why this travesty exists at all.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »

Note: The two topics and discussions have been merged into this one.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 05:35:44 PM »

It's been mentioned on the other thread about old BB footage.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7872886/beach-boys-john-stamos-mark-mcgrath-do-it-again-video

Stamos, meanwhile, made sure that there was a tie to the song's past by including historical footage of Love performing it at various junctures in the Beach Boys' career.

"That was John's idea to intersperse some iconic footage of me doing the leads to 'Do It Again' and give some historical rock n' roll value to it, which gives it a total variety in breadth and span of years," Love notes. "Sometimes it's embarrassing to see myself with a beard as long as ZZ Top's or looking like Duck Dynasty or jumping around with my shirt off and rockin', but, hey, it was the '60s and the '70s and it was rock n' roll and there's a whole lot of history there."

More:
>>>>>
The Beach Boys -- who, as usual, are on a seemingly endless all-seasons tour -- last released new material with That's Why God Made The Radio in conjunction with the group's 50th anniversary in 2012, and there's no plans for more at the moment. In fact, Love says he prefers the idea of re-recording the group's old favorites now. "Recreating a Beach Boys classic like 'Do It Again' is something I really enjoyed doing," he explains, "so I'm hoping there's more of that to come." There's always plenty of archival material as well, and Love gives a thumbs-up to the new 1967 -- Sunshine Tomorrow, which focuses on recordings from around the time of Smiley Smile and Wild Honey with plenty of rare and unreleased material.

"We've been celebrating those anniversaries as we did last year, celebrating [the 50th anniversaries of] Pet Sounds and 'Good Vibrations' and 'Barbara Ann,'" Love says. "Wild Honey was a chance to get together with Brian; He went off on a tangent with Smile and shelved it, but we got back in the studio in his home [with Wild Honey]. It was a chance to get together and practice our songwriting together again. It was a lot of fun."
<<<<<

So, yeah. Mike hoping more of this stuff to come. They were already working on a Getcha Back remake with Stamos with producer Michael Lloyd, so there is that to look forward to.  Roll Eyes

Interesting too that in 2005 Mike filed that pesky lawsuit which described Brian as of 1967 in a totally different way...spending his days in a bed or a sandbox, surrounded by parasites, drug addicts, drug dealers, and plagiarizers and too ill to do anything. I wonder what jogged his memory of 1967 in the past 17 years.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 05:45:28 PM »

Can folks imagine how the Kokomaoists would react if Brian said this?

In fact, Love says he prefers the idea of re-recording the group's old favorites now. "Recreating a Beach Boys classic like 'Do It Again' is something I really enjoyed doing," he explains, "so I'm hoping there's more of that to come."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 05:51:08 PM »

Jesus Christ, Mike is rewriting and rerecording the catalog in his image. The other BBs are dead to him....

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »

And blurring like hell the line between his solo songs and the BBs.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »

I can't help but think of Mike's comments in some of his postgame interviews after TWGMTR. Mike didn't think the album was commercial enough, or that the lead single wasn't commercial enough?

So now we can hear firsthand with our own ears what Mike thinks is "commercial". Do It Again remade with autotune, digital drops and studio trickery, John Stamos, Mark McGrath, and a video that could have been a Gap commercial for their mens' jeans line in 1997.

Mike remade "Be True To Your School" as "Be True To Your Bud"  for that commercial tie-in he and Dean did with Budweiser beer...maybe the other surviving members should release their own remake and call it "Be True To Your Legacy".

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

It is truly phenomenal that the guy who said Mick Jagger is too chickensh*t to go on stage with the Beach Boys is the same guy who is too chickensh*t to allow comments on his YouTube videos.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »

So basically Mike is now just like those cheap ass K-Tel cover tapes where it has something like THE BEATLES in all caps and "Songs originally recorded by" in teeny-tiny print so small that a mosquito will have to squint to see it. Nice. For those people who say this doesn't harm the band's legacy, you're right...the legacy was ruined years ago by choices like this. What he is ruining is any chance of rebuilding it.

Way to protect that brand!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2017, 07:00:47 PM »

Well that's uncomfortable to watch....Those 3 really are peas in a pod. The facial expressions and dance moves will give me nightmares.

It looks like they filmed it in a hotel room with a sheet over the window.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:11:35 PM by tpesky » Logged
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »

My religious family and friends sometimes ask me how I can be sure there is no god. Well, here is proof positive. A just and loving god would never allow this abomination to be unleashed upon his children.

God is dead, we're all alone, and Mike Love gets to run amok defiling Beach Boys classics with Uncle Jesse and Sugar Ray.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2017, 07:48:14 PM »

I'd comment here too, but I have to run. I watched the video showing these three bros having so much man-fun, and now have the undeniable urge to go buy a pair of Dockers khakis and high-five the salesperson, saying "DO IT!" as they swipe my debit card.

https://youtu.be/mf_bsobwLH8
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2017, 08:15:38 PM »

All we need now is Brian to release a few remakes too! As you may recall, apparently it was Brian who was the first to suggest a re-makes album. They could both do new versions of "Our Car Club" which could go head-to head on the "charts.". With heavily auto-tuned  remakes of ""Cassius" Love vs. "Sonny" Wilson" as each of the b-sides.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

If he has the balls to show this on screen at their concert next month I will boo him through the entire song. I am front row dead center. This is NOT what I signed up for. I hope he has the brains to leave it out of the show. It is a Beach Boys concert and this is a Mike Love remake.

If you read comments on the various sharings on social media, no one is taking it seriously and no one is thinking less of the Beach Boys for it, so can the crap. They're all bashing Mike Love, and rightfully so. There is literally nothing positive about this...even Stamos looks kind of embarrassed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »

Here's my perspective: when I usually talk to new people about The Beach Boys I hear one of two things; one, awesome 60s music. Two, laughter about Full House. The latter has happened to me many times in the last decade. And I wish I was joking.

That's my perspective of the legacy. Thus far we have a solo cover that clearly no one likes that was performed by The Beach Boys on national live television across America on one of America's most celebrated holidays. Of course this one lone performance and music video are almost forgetful on their own, but where does it end? I think that's the point people are trying to make.

I mean, rubbersoul, you yourself are talking about booing a Beach Boys concert if that song is played. Let that sink in...you are willing to boo one of your favorite bands over this one song. Imagine when more autotuned/guest artist covers like this come out and they're possibly performed on live television again...how many people will turn off their televisions, change the channel? Will people in that crowd boo too?

Point being, it could turn into another well remembered Full House era, which is why people are miffed about this. Posters like KDS can complain on other forums about those of us worried about the legacy, but frankly given where Mike has steered this band in the past (and how at least one of those moments has latched onto the legacy), I think any worry is well warranted.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2017, 09:13:35 PM »

Life lesson: In case you are worried about anyone forgetting your name, just wear it on your baseball hat. Problem solved.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »

Here's my perspective: when I usually talk to new people about The Beach Boys I hear one of two things; one, awesome 60s music. Two, laughter about Full House. The latter has happened to me many times in the last decade. And I wish I was joking.

That's my perspective of the legacy. Thus far we have a solo cover that clearly no one likes that was performed by The Beach Boys on national live television across America on one of America's most celebrated holidays. Of course this one lone performance and music video are almost forgetful on their own, but where does it end? I think that's the point people are trying to make.

I mean, rubbersoul, you yourself are talking about booing a Beach Boys concert if that song is played. Let that sink in...you are willing to boo one of your favorite bands over this one song. Imagine when more autotuned/guest artist covers like this come out and they're possibly performed on live television again...how many people will turn off their televisions, change the channel? Will people in that crowd boo too?

Point being, it could turn into another well remembered Full House era, which is why people are miffed about this. Posters like KDS can complain on other forums about those of us worried about the legacy, but frankly given where Mike has steered this band in the past (and how at least one of those moments has latched onto the legacy), I think any worry is well warranted.

You're very right. I guess I am quick to dismiss if this continues to escalate. We'll have to wait and see.

Is there any legal way for Brian or Alan to stop this?

Also, all joking about Bruce aside, I feel like his lack of involvement is very much a conscious decision of his own. As odd and unpredictable as the guy can be, I think he has the musical and commercial brains to see the writing on the wall with this one. I've also always gotten the impression that him and Mike don't really cross paths once they leave the stage. They hardly speak to one another when they're on stage, except when Mike decides to knock Bruce down a peg for writing "I Write The Songs".
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2017, 09:26:25 PM »

Question: Do you have an available list of personnel available for the track? I can hear Foskett in there.

Reason being, if he recorded the entire track with the entire "The Beach Boys" touring band, isn't it technically a "The Beach Boys" single? And if it isn't, then isn't the touring band technically just "Mike Love of The Beach Boys"...which he sued Alan for...OR does Bruce make the difference here. If he isn't on the track, does that save Mike from this conundrum since he is commonly considered an original member and is still in the touring band?

Don't get me wrong, the live band kicks major ass and I get quite aggravated when ignorant posters put down folks like Totten and Cowsill who do much good for the legacy. However, Mike is really opening himself up to a lot of gray legal areas as he continues to try and push this project into the limelight. Could you imagine if Mike actually lost the name? They already play small venues but trying to book shows as "The Mike Love Band featuring Bruce Johnston" would be an unprecedented challenge for members of this ensemble...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx