gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Do It Again 2017 Promo FIlm  (Read 62308 times)
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4inGP8qMnPE
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »

MIKE MADE A MUSIC VIDEO FOR THE NEW DO IT AGAIN SINGLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4inGP8qMnPE&feature=youtu.be

I was fine with the 4th of July performance, just because it was fun. Didn't destroy the legacy like some people feared.

BUT THIS?Huh? THIS IS SO CRINGEY WTFFFFF
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »

Ok honestly, there is some charm to it. The Mcgrath guy looks his he's on cocaine, he's so energetic. I wish Bruce was in the video clapping.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »

a few notes:

a. "Comments are disabled for this video"

b.  Is it kosher for Mike to be using a bunch of Beach Boys footage live footage in his solo music video?

c. The only genuine thing about it is that Stamos and McGrath seem to be legitimately enjoying themselves.

d. Couldn't they find something more interesting than a white background? 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:51:16 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure comments are disabled for everything on Mike's channel. Probably a smart move.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:50:27 AM »

I'd comment here too, but I have to run. I watched the video showing these three bros having so much man-fun, and now have the undeniable urge to go buy a pair of Dockers khakis and high-five the salesperson, saying "DO IT!" as they swipe my debit card.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

The saving grace is there is not one mention of "The Beach Boys" anywhere. And Bruce must have been laying out his white shorts and white Keds sneakers for the show tonight.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »

The saving grace is there is not one mention of "The Beach Boys" anywhere. And Bruce must have been laying out his white shorts and white Keds sneakers for the show tonight.

Not sure if it counts as a "mention", but I caught a glimpse of Al Jardine in some of the vintage footage.

I watch this 2012 version, then realize that Mike would rather work with Stamos + McGrath, and it just makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKqMrMmj7I
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:02:31 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:24 PM »

I watch this 2012 version, then realize that Mike would rather work with Stamos + McGrath, and it just makes me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMKqMrMmj7I

Darn you had to ruin it for me.  LOL
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 12:03:26 PM »

I have to agree... Seeing the band playing together again was so cool. This just seems wrong in comparison.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:04:30 PM »

Honestly though, the video is fun. In a semi-ironic way. But the guys look like they're having so much fun, that I can't help but sing along. I HATE the synth sound riight before the last chorus though. Who produced this new single?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:06:20 PM »

- this is the gift that keeps on giving.

- that they genuinely think this song is good enough to promote with a music video is alarming...especially if this is the first of many covers we can expect from Mike's Beach Boys covers album.

- that moment at 1:12 with roboMcGrawMcGrath vocals is the sonic highlight of this song...it's like they threw his lead vocal in a trash compactor and pieced it back together with elmers glue.

- to any Mike apologists here and abroad, Godspeed in your endeavors to downplay stuff like this in the coming years.

*McGrath is his name I guess? Mike, one of these days get a guest star who doesn't elicit the question "who?" when his name is mentioned.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:23:48 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 12:07:28 PM »

Someone on the inside who would know dished the dirt on this video - There were scenes filmed of Bruce adjusting that microphone that ended up on the cutting room floor. That unused footage may be included when the "Still Tourin'" DVD/Blu-Ray deluxe edition is released.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »

It's refreshing to know that Mark McGrath is still an annoying as he was 20 years ago when his frosted tips first graced MTV with the song "Fly." 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:48 PM »

Honestly though, the video is fun.

This. Although I must confess to having a little trouble with McGrath's face. But maybe he'd have trouble with mine.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

Yeah his bizarre face is what made both the performance and promo video so incredibly awkward.  LOL
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 01:16:21 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25295.0.html

THERE IS A THREAD FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER ANSWER ME WHEN I REPLY ON THE FORUM

Angry
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 01:17:28 PM »

Jesus, I take a nap and look what happens.... Afro

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »

why do new folk start new topics when things are already being discussed?
check what's being said already! f***!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »

Rab's new profile sums up this mess! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

It's been mentioned on the other thread about old BB footage.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7872886/beach-boys-john-stamos-mark-mcgrath-do-it-again-video

Stamos, meanwhile, made sure that there was a tie to the song's past by including historical footage of Love performing it at various junctures in the Beach Boys' career.

"That was John's idea to intersperse some iconic footage of me doing the leads to 'Do It Again' and give some historical rock n' roll value to it, which gives it a total variety in breadth and span of years," Love notes. "Sometimes it's embarrassing to see myself with a beard as long as ZZ Top's or looking like Duck Dynasty or jumping around with my shirt off and rockin', but, hey, it was the '60s and the '70s and it was rock n' roll and there's a whole lot of history there."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »

It's on billboard, my worst fears are true....

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:57 PM »

Okay, I figured it out.  Mike finally found someone that is such an idiot that he makes Mike look cool in comparison.  There is no other explanation for making an official video with McGrath. 

Yes, whoever disabled comments for that video was a wise, wise person. 

Is it just me or does even Stamos seem totally sidelined by the heinous McGrath?  Watch at around 1:28 and you can almost see him thinking "Jesus, I'm not getting ANY screen time with this idiot jumping around". 

On a more serious note, I find it very upsetting that so much of the video is footage from Knebworth...a concert which produced such a kickass Do it Again that Mike should be sued for tarnishing the memory. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »

Pretty Funky, thanks for linking that article. It was a good interview, and I especially liked his part about not using The Beach Boys as a pulpit for politics.

I cringe to think that more songs like this will follow, I just hope he doesn't continue to use The Beach Boys touring band as a promotional tool for this new solo endeavor.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »

Quoting from the article:   "The whole song's about getting together with old friends and sharing good times and talking about the old times," says Love, who co-wrote "Do It Again" with Brian Wilson, his cousin. "That fact that here we are decades later, recreating it with old friends, having a great time -- it doesn't get much more organic and perfect and fantastic than that."

Except, you know, maybe PLAYING IT WITH YOUR ORIGINAL BANDMATES.  That just might be more "organic".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:18:32 PM by marcella27 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx