gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:21:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spirit of America Spectacular  (Read 1026 times)
Sunflower70
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 07:30:06 PM »

I was recently checking out YouTube and came across some clips of the guys performing at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. in 1981.  I remember watching this concert when it aired and the sound mix not being up to par.  However, the clips I've seen recently have been remixed with the vocals properly balanced, and song title graphics being added at the beginning of each song,  reminiscent of the Celebration Concert 1980 video released in Japan in 1997.  I recall an interview around the time of the Long Beach concert that mentioned the show would be remixed and edited for broadcast in Europe.  Does anyone have any information about this?   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »

Very interesting. It does indeed look like a rebroadcast from Europe or some other territory outside the USA. There appears to be a logo on the bottom of the screen that pops up that I don't recognize. I haven't compared to a US airing to see if the camera angles are all the same, or if there are video editing differences as well.

The video quality is actually a slight notch above most circulating off-air US videotape dubs as well. And it does indeed sound like the show has been remixed.

Make no mistake folks, the band still sounds *awful* even with a more sympathetic and "proper" mix job. But this mix certainly does smooth out some of the roughest spots. In particular, it sounds like Adrian Baker's mic has been brought way down in the mix.

We should try to convince the person who posted it to post the full show from their source. I'm guessing whatever re-airing they have is probably shorter than the live US airing, which was the full show minus some gaps for commercial breaks (I recall Wolfman Jack and Charlie Tuna doing some shtick while the band was doing "In My Room" in the background). But the video quality is nice, and the sound is as good as it'll get for the show. Both previous extant sources (the live TV audio and the live stereo radio audio) for the audio of the show have pretty wonky mixes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx