gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:02:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer of Love - 'Til I Die  (Read 10141 times)
KDS
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 10:05:45 AM »

For better or worse, the MIC set was targeted at casual fans as a career retrospective, with most of the non-canon tracks being stand-out unreleased tracks not already released.

They didn't seem to want to use it as a catch-all for non-album tracks, movie soundtrack songs, etc. They did put "It's a Beautiful Day" on there in remixed form, but I'm guessing that was due to feeling it was a strong enough track.

So I can't imagine artistically wanting to put dreck like "Problem Child" on the set, or even "Crocodile Rock" which is an okay cover track but nothing that great. There may also be some rights issues with some of those types of tracks; not sure if Brother owns those.

If I had to pick one of those random soundtracks songs, I'd probably go with "Chasin' the Sky" which is not a bad song and has some great group vocals.

A slightly stronger case could be made for "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" on MIC since it was a single and featured on "Made in USA." But it isn't a high point either.

I think some of these random tracks would work on a boxed set, multi-disc "rarities" set, and/or individual album reissues with bonus tracks, and of course *if* BRI could license tracks they don't own.

Seemed pretty pricey for a release aimed at casual fans though. 

Maybe one day, they'll reissue the early 80s "Rarities" release with a bonus disc. 

As long as SIP is laughed at in a huge way, and is as infamous as it is, I wouldn't count on the band going out of their way to reissue it, nor the other 80s songs. But I hope I'm wrong, because I can stomach and even kinda dig about 1/3 of the album, not to mention a good chunk of those 80s songs are guilty pleasures for me. But SIP in particular is something that if it were to be reissued, I could see mainstream blogs dedicating entire articles to crucifying it, and not sure Mike wants that kind of attention (although with the DIA '17 music video release, maybe he actually does).

I'd be seriously surprised if any Beach Boys albums under 40 years old get any time of deluxe reissue in the future. 
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »

Don't think you're wrong there..
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »

For better or worse, the MIC set was targeted at casual fans as a career retrospective, with most of the non-canon tracks being stand-out unreleased tracks not already released.

They didn't seem to want to use it as a catch-all for non-album tracks, movie soundtrack songs, etc. They did put "It's a Beautiful Day" on there in remixed form, but I'm guessing that was due to feeling it was a strong enough track.

So I can't imagine artistically wanting to put dreck like "Problem Child" on the set, or even "Crocodile Rock" which is an okay cover track but nothing that great. There may also be some rights issues with some of those types of tracks; not sure if Brother owns those.

If I had to pick one of those random soundtracks songs, I'd probably go with "Chasin' the Sky" which is not a bad song and has some great group vocals.

A slightly stronger case could be made for "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" on MIC since it was a single and featured on "Made in USA." But it isn't a high point either.

I think some of these random tracks would work on a boxed set, multi-disc "rarities" set, and/or individual album reissues with bonus tracks, and of course *if* BRI could license tracks they don't own.

Maybe one day, they'll reissue the early 80s "Rarities" release with a bonus disc. 

I'm definitely not going to defend the arguably strange marketing angle behind the MIC set. Too large and filled with too many outtakes for a "casual" fan, and too much of the same hits/common tracks for hardcore fans.

I think they were just looking to do a "coffee table book" sized sort of boxed set as a holiday gift sort of thing, and folks like Alan Boyd were able to take that opportunity get as much "hardcore fan" material on the set as they could. They were at least able to omit most of the previously released outtakes found on the two-fers and Hawthorne, CA and the EH Soundtrack and the GV boxed set to make room for mostly "new" outtakes.

But I think when it came to the main crux of the set, the "career spanning" part featuring mostly core catalog material, they were going for something representative of their better work. Hence the omission of stuff like "Problem Child" (if rights issues weren't already an issue). I wouldn't have picked the exact core catalog tracks they did, but they did a good job of not picking any total weird awful duds. The weirdest it gets is stuff like "Amusement Parks USA" or "Had to Phone Ya."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »

I'm definitely not going to defend the arguably strange marketing angle behind the MIC set. Too large and filled with too many outtakes for a "casual" fan, and too much of the same hits/common tracks for hardcore fans.

I think they were just looking to do a "coffee table book" sized sort of boxed set as a holiday gift sort of thing, and folks like Alan Boyd were able to take that opportunity get as much "hardcore fan" material on the set as they could. They were at least able to omit most of the previously released outtakes found on the two-fers and Hawthorne, CA and the EH Soundtrack and the GV boxed set to make room for mostly "new" outtakes.

But I think when it came to the main crux of the set, the "career spanning" part featuring mostly core catalog material, they were going for something representative of their better work. Hence the omission of stuff like "Problem Child" (if rights issues weren't already an issue). I wouldn't have picked the exact core catalog tracks they did, but they did a good job of not picking any total weird awful duds. The weirdest it gets is stuff like "Amusement Parks USA" or "Had to Phone Ya."

Right, the list price was also absurdly high for a six disc set IMO.  And for that price, the discs aren't even well protected.  At least the GV set has five individual jewel cases. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

I think 15 Big Ones is worse than Summer in Paradise. At least most of the songs were not covers.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
KDS
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 10:58:54 AM »

I think 15 Big Ones is worse than Summer in Paradise. At least most of the songs were not covers.

That's a toughie.  Both are definitely in my bottom 5 though. 

I will say that, while not nearly as good as the covers the band did in the 60s, I like most of the 15BO covers over the SIP ones, Remember Walkin in the Sand and Under the Boardwalk are particularly dreadful.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 03:02:07 AM »

The last ESQ was devoted to SIP and mike is interviewed about it and talks about it like all the other albums and stuff, about how great it is, etc with no hint of irony...
Makes you wonder if deep down he knows its crap or he honestly thinks “its a love thing!” rivals good vibrations or something.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »

Kinda makes me almost glad that these days Mike just sonically destroys our ears with covers of old songs instead of recording originals.

LOL love that the album is demonic enough to keep playing after the stereo is shot Grin

Hypehat's review of SIP is legendary:

Ok, so I have a half a bottle of wine in me and another to go after a steady day of drinking, and listening to Summer In Paradise seems like a fantastic idea right now. It's been so hard to live without it, so lets talk about it.

1) Hot Fun In The Summertime

DEAR JESUS THE SNARE. We will have to get used to this.
Also, "Whisperin'" Mike Love. I like to picture putting HOURS into these leads.
Carl telling me we can "Bum bum bum" is kinda flattering imo.
SAX SOLO. Those breaks make me flinch.
This thing is mixed so fucking terribly Carl's high notes vanish from the mix.
also, WHAT THE HELL IS CARL DOING. I guess given Beckley/Lamm/Wilson, it's safe to say that absolutely every vestige of Carl's taste had disappeared by this point. He might have even thought this was A GOOD IDEA.

2. Surfin'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
f*** me, the vocals on this are absolutely terrrrrrrrrrible. NASAL DOMINATION. Carl being SHITE. Like, even his smack-addled late 70's performances have merit. This sucks.
Not to mention ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS.
new lyrics. NEW LYRICS
MORE OF THEM.
I'm in pain. There are ten more songs. WHY.

3. SUMMER OF LOVE.

Mike Love, I will come round your house and make my fist meditate up your arse for this.
CHRIST ON A BICYCLE THE DJ SCRATCHES.
My Grandma has better flow than MC "Whisperin" Love.
attached and back don't rhyme, you bald apple juice chuggin goon.

4. Island Fever

These verse appear to be words in the english language. But they make no sense.
The Beach Boys' hymn to sexually transmitted diseases?
"My baby caught it and I'm not quite sure how/she might have got it from her travel brochure?" - Denny lives?
My baby can't dance or sleep because IT BURNS.
KEYCHANGE
f*** synthesisers, btw.

5. Still Surfin'

What the hell is this.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.
The fact I've spent a lot of time editing other things during this song speaks volumes.
What the hell makes ANYONE think it's ok to drop mexican terms for women in verses. Mamacita and the like. f*** YOU, MIKE.

6. Slow Summer Dancin' (Unneccesary parentheses)

IN BOTH CORNERS, BRUCE JOHNSTON
DETAILING HOW HE'S GONNA MAKE SWEET, SWEET, SWEET LOVE TO GROUPIES.
Misheard "I'll treat my angel really nice" as "I'll treat my ANUS.....REALLY NICE!"
Al "The Songwriter" Jardine keeping up his fine, fine, tradition of contributing entirely original melodic and lyrical ideas to songs. HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT
That sax break. NO.

7. Strange Things Happen.

Ok, this is the worst thing so far.

It's something to do with the combination of SLAMMIN' MIKE LOVE JAMS and Al "Well, that never happened before!" Jardine learning about sex in 1991.

OH MY GOD. This is so so so s oo soooooo awful. I am crying with laughter.

8. Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Carl, I do love you, but when Mary Weiss dies she's going to find you in heaven and BEAT SEVEN SHADES OF CRAP OUT OF YOU FOR THIS.

"Echoing" Mike Love is also particularly ridiculous.

THE SAX SOLOS. AHSHGSHDGFXBGDGXFNJDMKYI6

GUYS I'M LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE. I HATE THIS ALBUM.

9. Lahina Aloha

Tropical beats
meaningless title
SOOOOOLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
palm trees
paradise
"Whisperin" Love

the f*** is this DRIVEL. I FEEL LIKE I'M BEING VIOLATED WITH OFFENSIVE ITEMS CARVED OUT OF JELLY OR SOMETHING. OFFENSIVE SMOOTHNESS. It's some terrible oxymoron i wouldn't believe possible if it wasn't fucking me in my ears.
THE HELL.

THREE MORE TRACKS LEFT, YOU CAN DO IT.

10. Under The Boardwalk

MIke Love, you get the f*** away from my girl.
Carl, I'm sorry, but The Drifters are also going to beat the hell out of you up there too. Possibly Carole King as well. At least they'll be tired after beating mike love to shreds. And you, Al.
ANOTHER SAXOPHONE SOLO. mo'fos.

As an aside, guys, this is one of the most awful albums in terms of production, mixing and mastering I've ever heard. IT IS THIN AS HELL.

11. SUMMER IN PARADISE.

dig that jangly fauxbyrds guitar.
THOSE 'HARMONY' VOCALS ARE CRAP. BRIAN WOULD BEAT YOU DEAD IF HE WAS IN THAT SESSION.
I think these might be EVEN WORSE LYRICS than Strange Things Happen or MC LOVE in something else.
f***, IT'S JIM MCGUINN.
that explains the guitar.
YOU BITCH, MCGUINN.

This is shite. musically, aurally, it's balls. BALLLLLLS. BIG SWEATY, HAIRY, OOZING TESTICLES. I feel ill.

12. Stamorever.

I have no more bile. I just have wine. After the systematic and calculated raping of the entire spectrum of pop music through these twelve tracks, some arsehole covering a Dennis Wilson song pales in comparison. I mean, it even has woodblocks on it, which makes it more reverent of a 'classic' bb's sound than anything on this record yet.

SEE WHAT THIS RECORD HAS DONE TO ME. I AM DEFENDING STAMOS

and with one fucking horrible sounding fake midi chord on the keyboard, that's it. The worst record I ever heard.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Many, many thanks for reposting this brilliant piece of serious reviewing! I just read it for the first time. Now comes the small print:

I never heard it. I actually am going to look for a copy.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx