gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:54:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer of Love - 'Til I Die  (Read 10004 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:29 AM »

The badness of SIP is very particular.

There are many worse albums. Heck, some fans might say GIOMH is worse. But the thing is, we know that Brian, even at his most strung out, is capable of greatness.

The appalling fact of Summer in Paradise is that IT IS THE BEST MIKE CAN DO. These songs are carefully written and produced. The vocals were worked on. Terry Melcher used state of the art tech. This is the work of a man and a band he dragged along with him, ceaselessly devoted to creating this particular album.

And that's the horror. That Mike treasures this pile of mediocre recycled treacle and the creative process that produced it. HE STILL SINGS SUMMER IN PARADISE EVERY NJGHT. He still thinks the album was good.

If he still thought the album was good, wouldn't be include more than one song on the setlist? 

Maybe if Mike trimmed down the schtick that goes along with "Be True To Your School" at every gig there would be some extra time in the set to include SIP material. I doubt that bit will ever be trimmed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 10:51:28 AM »

There are many worse albums. Heck, some fans might say GIOMH is worse. But the thing is, we know that Brian, even at his most strung out, is capable of greatness.

The appalling fact of Summer in Paradise is that IT IS THE BEST MIKE CAN DO. These songs are carefully written and produced. The vocals were worked on. Terry Melcher used state of the art tech. This is the work of a man and a band he dragged along with him, ceaselessly devoted to creating this particular album.

And that's the horror. That Mike treasures this pile of mediocre recycled treacle and the creative process that produced it. HE STILL SINGS SUMMER IN PARADISE EVERY NJGHT. He still thinks the album was good.

If he still thought the album was good, wouldn't be include more than one song on the setlist? 

Maybe if Mike trimmed down the schtick that goes along with "Be True To Your School" at every gig there would be some extra time in the set to include SIP material. I doubt that bit will ever be trimmed.

That schtick doesn't really bother me.   I do find it odd though when pockets of the audience rise and applaud it as if he just nailed Ava Maria. 
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »

SiP is not the worst album I've heard, but I'm pretty confident the only reason for that is that I've never heard it. I have no plans to correct that, but I did once, in a spirit of fair-mindedness, listen to Lahaina Aloha on account of all the die-hards on this site who swear that it's some sort of saving grace. And it was garbage.

Have you ever listened to the title track?  There's a live version of it on the MIC boxset that I think is pretty good.

Yeah, I've heard the MiC live version (and I've also heard Summer of Love), and I suppose I could be persuaded that it had a lingering trace of merit if only it had a totally different set of lyrics. Not as it stands though. Also, what Wirestone said.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:53:19 AM by William Bowe » Logged
KDS
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 11:01:31 AM »

SiP is not the worst album I've heard, but I'm pretty confident the only reason for that is that I've never heard it. I have no plans to correct that, but I did once, in a spirit of fair-mindedness, listen to Lahaina Aloha on account of all the die-hards on this site who swear that it's some sort of saving grace. And it was garbage.

Have you ever listened to the title track?  There's a live version of it on the MIC boxset that I think is pretty good.

Yeah, I've heard the MiC live version (and I've also heard Summer of Love), and I suppose I could be persuaded that it had a lingering trace of merit if only it had a totally different set of lyrics. Not as it stands though. Also, what Wirestone said.

That's fine.  I just think it's a tad unfair to judge a 12 song album, based on having heard two songs and some clips, and on the opinions of others. 

Heck, when I first got on these boards, I was really looking forward to being blown away by the Love You album.  But......not so much. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »

I agree, let people hear it for themselves.

If there are plans for a deluxe 25th Anniversary reissue, they should go all out and include Problem Child, the songs Mike was doing with Adrian Baker, the works. Let fans hear what Mike was bringing to the table in the 90's, musically.

And if they want to go all-out, how about a "Behind The Music" style video episode where Mike and Bruce can sit at a recording console with host Wink Martindale, play each song track-by-track, and talk about the making of the SIP album? It would be educational to hear all those drum machines and sequences isolated, and how great would it be to hear a vocals only mix of Summer Of Love?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »

Agreed fully with your whole post. Also want to add that Brian's GIOMH charted at 100. SIP is the only Beach Boys album to not chart at all. Mike had The Beach Boys name for gods sake, the success of Kokomo, and still this album couldn't chart.

For anyone who hasn't given it a listen, it's worth it if only for the laugh. Grab a 6 pack and find a sound-proof room (to ensure no one hears you listening to this)...as Hypehat said, the lyrics of 'Island Fever' read like an ode to some potent tropical STD...You can't make this stuff up, it's just all bad.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »

This initial post in this thread is iconic.

Summer of Love and the Surfin remix are the musical low points of The Beach Boys career.

SIP isn't all bad though- I like Still Surfin (I like the modulations) and Strange Things Happen
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »

That's fine.  I just think it's a tad unfair to judge a 12 song album, based on having heard two songs and some clips, and on the opinions of others.  

Heck, when I first got on these boards, I was really looking forward to being blown away by the Love You album.  But......not so much.  

Okay, let's crank up the YouTubes and live blog ourselves some Be Fair to Summer in Paradise.

2.14. Hot Fun In The Summertime. You know what I really don't feel like doing? Hearing Mike Love ruin a Sly Stone song. One minute of this will more than do.

2.16. Surfin. Can't locate the SiP version on YouTube. Am I being unfair in concluding this hearing this would have no chance of changing my mind about the album? I really don't think that I am.

2.17. Summer of Love. Bye.

2.18. Island Fever. Holy sh*t, this album might actually be worse than I imagined. Just run Kokomo through the xerox, why don't you. Not a second more. Skip.

2.19. Still Surfin'. I hate it even before the end of the opening drum roll. It sounds exactly like I always knew the album would sound. Why am I doing this? Skip ...

2.20. Slow Summer Dancin'. I don't think I've ever heard that 80's-ruining gated snare sound cranked up quite so hard before, so I'll at least grant it novelty value. Beyond that, it's the least bad song so far, if only because bad ballads are intrinsically less offensive than bad rock'n'roll retreads.

2.24. Strange Things Happen. Yet again, the opening lyrics are an immediate deal breaker, as is the drum sound. I'll grant you that the chorus hook has a certain heft. But will I listen to it again? Hell no.

2.27. Remember (Walking in the Sand). A good song, of course. One might even potentially derive pleasure from hearing Carl sing it. But as Wirestone points out, the thing you can never get past is that they've put so much effort into this, and any lingering saving graces you might try to identify are drowning in the album's horrible aesthetic.

2.31. Lahaina Aloha. Ugh. I thought Carl sung this, and that's why the diehards overrated it so, but no, here's skeevy old Mike Love droning stale nothings into my ear. Oh okay, there he is on the useless, stinking chorus. Next ...

2.32. Under the Boardwalk. Can't immediately find this on YouTube, and not going to waste any more time looking.

2.33. Summer in Paradise. Sorry, I get as far as "way back when when the master plan was having Fun Fun Fun and America's band", and there's no way in hell I'm listening to the rest of it. Don't insult me telling me I'm missing anything.

2.34. Forever. Jesus, this is beautiful. Why wasn't I told?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:45:58 AM by William Bowe » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:23 AM »

That's fine.  I just think it's a tad unfair to judge a 12 song album, based on having heard two songs and some clips, and on the opinions of others.

To go along with Guitarfool's hamburger analogy...this is like saying it's unfair to call a restaurant bad after it gets closed down by health inspectors...you've never eaten there but you have every right to call it bad based off the fact it doesn't exist anymore due to health concerns and complaints by mostly anyone who went there.

Likewise, they don't even sell this album on iTunes or officially through Amazon...It's the only Beach Boys album to not get a reissue. It's the only Beach Boys album to never chart, at one point they had to give copies away, a sitcom star from Full House covers a classic Dennis tune (a poster for this album actually made its way onto the set of Full House), just 26 years after Pet Sounds and these are the lyrics the same band releases on a studio album:

Yeah I'll take you to the movies
But I'm no fool
First I'll get you on the beach
Or in a swimming pool
Doing unto others is the Golden Rule
But doing it with you would be so
Very cool

Edit: William, that is now my second favorite review of SIP...thanks for the laugh Grin
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:46:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 11:47:44 AM »

It's more than he includes from the No. 3-charting TWGMTR.
KDS
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:50 PM »

It's more than he includes from the No. 3-charting TWGMTR.

I'll agree with you there, and I think it's a shame neither band does anything from this album. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 06:49:28 AM »

The band dropped most of the SIP songs *very quickly* after the album came out. I think "Under the Boardwalk" survived on and off for a couple of years, and that was about it. Mike, I think, thinks SIP was and is a good album. But his sense of building a crowd-pleasing setlist overrides even that.

But you can go back into interviews and find Mike bad-mouthing or otherwise criticizing various albums, including even "Still Cruisin'", and downplaying the performance of the "TWGMTR" album even though it was by *every measure* their most successful new album in DECADES. Yet, not a peep about SIP. Yes, he doesn't go on and on about it in interviews either. But because he's clearly predisposed to not ever admit fault or regret about *himself* in interviews, he never has, as far as I can tell, volunteered the SIP album as an example of something lackluster in the BB catalog or in their careers.

We *do* have the 1992 Goldmine interview where Mike talks about the then-new SIP as if he was crafting "Pet Sounds II", talking about having Al and Carl on it and implying they were eventually smart enough to participate in such an illustrious album project.

I will also say this: I do wonder if the SIP album has been kind of blackballed by BRI. That is, the album indeed has not even been made available for streaming and we saw during things like C50 when big montages of every album cover were put together, SIP was nowhere to be seen. So I'm curious if Brian, after having been marginalized and presumably not consulted or not interested in SIP back in 1992, has now in more recent years at least asserted his right to pull his support for anything to do with the album. I don't know who *owns* the album masters; maybe one of Mike's production companies does or maybe that new off-shoot "Brother Entertainment" owns it. Brian may have no ownership stake in that album. But he does have stake in the "Beach Boys" name, and he could pull his support for SIP continuing to be in print under the "Beach Boys" name.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 06:59:08 AM »

I will also say this: I do wonder if the SIP album has been kind of blackballed by BRI. That is, the album indeed has not even been made available for streaming and we saw during things like C50 when big montages of every album cover were put together, SIP was nowhere to be seen. So I'm curious if Brian, after having been marginalized and presumably not consulted or not interested in SIP back in 1992, has now in more recent years at least asserted his right to pull his support for anything to do with the album. I don't know who *owns* the album masters; maybe one of Mike's production companies does or maybe that new off-shoot "Brother Entertainment" owns it. Brian may have no ownership stake in that album. But he does have stake in the "Beach Boys" name, and he could pull his support for SIP continuing to be in print under the "Beach Boys" name.

Could be.  SIP is also the only album cover not featured in the C50 Tour Program (Stars and Stripes made the cut).  It's also the only studio album not represented on the MiC boxset (except for a live version of the title track). 

It's been a few years since I've watched Endless Harmony, was SIP even mentioned?  From what I recall, the later years were somewhat glossed over. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2017, 08:34:33 PM »

It just dawned on me… Was the release of this song in 1992 and attempt to capitalize on the then-25th anniversary of the event of the same name?  It's sort of feels like it's not likely that's just a coincidence…
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »

One of my Beach Boys dirty secrets:  upon first listen, I LOVED this album and especially the album cover.  However, take into consideration that at the time I was an 11 year old girl in an era where Lisa Frank was the coolest, and the album cover reminded me of her artwork.  It was also reminiscent of my beloved Kokomo which started me on a 25 year plus journey of Beach Boys obsession.  After my initial repeated listening, it went by the wayside as I gravitated more toward the greatest hits albums as well as the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer that my parents gave to me that Christmas (of all the twofers available, they thought that one was the most appropriate for a preteen girl...go figure).  It wasn't until 2012 that I revisited this album and realized what an atrocity it was.  It saddens me that this is Carl Wilson's last original Beach Boys album and makes me wonder what would have happened had the Paley Sessions been completed and released....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »

Something occurred to me just this morning listening to WXPN as they spun this record. This song was recorded using the same very, very early versions of ProTools which some *blame* for the sound of the Summer In Paradise album. Like saying, the technology was still dodgy, the sounds weren't quite there, it was a primitive digital recording platform and that's why it sounds like it does, etc.

Take a few minutes and listen to this in comparison. Again, recorded in the same time frame using the same primitive ProTools hardware and software that gets blamed for SIP's shortfalls...and give your opinion of whether the technology is a convenient excuse.

"Divine Intervention" by Matthew Sweet. Recorded with much the same ProTools components as SIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvbtujjHfk

Note: This song was recorded in 1990 and released in Fall '91. Summer In Paradise was released August 1992.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:46:25 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 10:15:31 AM »

There goes another one of Filleplage's excuses.... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 01:12:33 PM »

I'm impressed that anyone on this board actually bought SIP.  It, along with Still Cruisin' and Stars and Stripes were the first "new" BBs albums that I actually never even considered buying.  Still though I would like to see an official release of all the eighties and nineties singles and best album tracks on a retrospective album, yes, even Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, Rock and Roll to the Rescue...be nice to have these all together in one place.  And if you wanted to clear a room, it would be fairly easy to do so..... Cheesy

Did see the Boys after SIP in concert and they did nice versions of Walking in the Sand and Hot Fun.  I only heard the latter on the radio a very few times but I thought it was a good remake.  Apparently the piano intro for Sail On Sailor was an homage to Hot Fun or else just a direct ripoff.....
KDS
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 05:35:58 AM »

I'm impressed that anyone on this board actually bought SIP.  It, along with Still Cruisin' and Stars and Stripes were the first "new" BBs albums that I actually never even considered buying.  Still though I would like to see an official release of all the eighties and nineties singles and best album tracks on a retrospective album, yes, even Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, Rock and Roll to the Rescue...be nice to have these all together in one place.  And if you wanted to clear a room, it would be fairly easy to do so..... Cheesy

Did see the Boys after SIP in concert and they did nice versions of Walking in the Sand and Hot Fun.  I only heard the latter on the radio a very few times but I thought it was a good remake.  Apparently the piano intro for Sail On Sailor was an homage to Hot Fun or else just a direct ripoff.....

I still think they could've put those extra late 80s / early 90s songs somewhere on the MiC box by either adding a 7th disc or cutting some of the repetitive stuff.  

I don't think there's a very good chance of any kind of stand alone release with these tracks.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:06:03 AM by KDS » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »

I'm impressed that anyone on this board actually bought SIP.  It, along with Still Cruisin' and Stars and Stripes were the first "new" BBs albums that I actually never even considered buying.  Still though I would like to see an official release of all the eighties and nineties singles and best album tracks on a retrospective album, yes, even Problem Child, Crocodile Rock, Rock and Roll to the Rescue...be nice to have these all together in one place.  And if you wanted to clear a room, it would be fairly easy to do so..... Cheesy

Did see the Boys after SIP in concert and they did nice versions of Walking in the Sand and Hot Fun.  I only heard the latter on the radio a very few times but I thought it was a good remake.  Apparently the piano intro for Sail On Sailor was an homage to Hot Fun or else just a direct ripoff.....

I still think they could've put those extra late 80s / early 90s songs somewhere on the SIP box by either adding a 7th disc or cutting some of the repetitive stuff. 

I don't think there's a very good chance of any kind of stand alone release with these tracks.

SIP box!?
When/ How did that get released!?
😉
KDS
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2017, 08:06:34 AM »

I still think they could've put those extra late 80s / early 90s songs somewhere on the SIP box by either adding a 7th disc or cutting some of the repetitive stuff. 

SIP box!?
When/ How did that get released!?
😉

Sorry, typo.  I edited my post.  I meant the MiC box. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »

For better or worse, the MIC set was targeted at casual fans as a career retrospective, with most of the non-canon tracks being stand-out unreleased tracks not already released.

They didn't seem to want to use it as a catch-all for non-album tracks, movie soundtrack songs, etc. They did put "It's a Beautiful Day" on there in remixed form, but I'm guessing that was due to feeling it was a strong enough track.

So I can't imagine artistically wanting to put dreck like "Problem Child" on the set, or even "Crocodile Rock" which is an okay cover track but nothing that great. There may also be some rights issues with some of those types of tracks; not sure if Brother owns those.

If I had to pick one of those random soundtracks songs, I'd probably go with "Chasin' the Sky" which is not a bad song and has some great group vocals.

A slightly stronger case could be made for "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" on MIC since it was a single and featured on "Made in USA." But it isn't a high point either.

I think some of these random tracks would work on a boxed set, multi-disc "rarities" set, and/or individual album reissues with bonus tracks, and of course *if* BRI could license tracks they don't own.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

I'll never forget when SIP came out. I went down to the local Musicland--remember those? Back then we didn't have internet reviews--you took a chance and hoped for the best. I grabbed the cd and went to pay and the guy running the register said: "Have you heard this yet?" I said well no but they are my favorite band so I buy all of their albums. He said "put it back, and walk away. Trust me." I didn't listen to him and I have regretted it for 25 years.
KDS
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »

For better or worse, the MIC set was targeted at casual fans as a career retrospective, with most of the non-canon tracks being stand-out unreleased tracks not already released.

They didn't seem to want to use it as a catch-all for non-album tracks, movie soundtrack songs, etc. They did put "It's a Beautiful Day" on there in remixed form, but I'm guessing that was due to feeling it was a strong enough track.

So I can't imagine artistically wanting to put dreck like "Problem Child" on the set, or even "Crocodile Rock" which is an okay cover track but nothing that great. There may also be some rights issues with some of those types of tracks; not sure if Brother owns those.

If I had to pick one of those random soundtracks songs, I'd probably go with "Chasin' the Sky" which is not a bad song and has some great group vocals.

A slightly stronger case could be made for "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" on MIC since it was a single and featured on "Made in USA." But it isn't a high point either.

I think some of these random tracks would work on a boxed set, multi-disc "rarities" set, and/or individual album reissues with bonus tracks, and of course *if* BRI could license tracks they don't own.

Seemed pretty pricey for a release aimed at casual fans though. 

Maybe one day, they'll reissue the early 80s "Rarities" release with a bonus disc. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 09:44:48 AM »

Seemed pretty pricey for a release aimed at casual fans though. 

Maybe one day, they'll reissue the early 80s "Rarities" release with a bonus disc. 

As long as SIP is laughed at in a huge way, and is as infamous as it is, I wouldn't count on the band going out of their way to reissue it, nor the other 80s songs. But I hope I'm wrong, because I can stomach and even kinda dig about 1/3 of the album, not to mention a good chunk of those 80s songs are guilty pleasures for me. But SIP in particular is something that if it were to be reissued, I could see mainstream blogs dedicating entire articles to crucifying it, and not sure Mike wants that kind of attention (although with the DIA '17 music video release, maybe he actually does).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx