gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:10:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's next solo album (NPP followup) speculation and info thread  (Read 37664 times)
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:01 PM »

I hope this too. I mean, if Brian is happy then he should tour to his heart's content. But I really wish he would relax for a bit and also get in the studio and record some. A concert creates unforgettable memories, but albums certainly have their place too. I can see Brian recording a rock and roll covers album and going out and touring a few of those songs alongside the usual Beach Boy hits...it would all around be something special.

I'm a regular concert-goer, so I understand the magic and memories the experience can create, but:

Those memories are for a select few, and even with recordings that are eventually released, they cannot effectively transfer those memories or experiences on the majority of fans who weren't present, because there's so much visceral context missing. (While I find live releases interesting to a degree, I don't care for them on the whole.)

If Brian quit touring today I wouldn't shed a tear, as long as it meant more studio output from him. It might sound brash, but clock's a' ticking. Why not take a little time to create something timeless for the masses?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 09:05:43 PM »

Realistically? No one makes money from record sales anymore. Many thousands of people are willing to pay the equivalent of a couple of MIC boxed sets to see BW live. They're not willing to spend a tiny fraction of that on original music.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »

Pardon if this is a weird question, but does Brian even need the money? He has to be making a ton from royalties alone, right? It could be a question of his band though, I'm not sure how they'd fair if they weren't on the road. Just thinking out loud.

Regardless, I totally agree with you BonnevilleMariner. I want to see more studio albums myself.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 09:19:48 PM »

I don't know if Brian needs the money, but he probably wants to make sure his family and kids are set for as long as possible. And I think he's also reached the point where touring gives his life some order. Not that he enjoys it or loves it all the time, but it's a very structured way to live.

I mean, listen, I think he's been over toured for most of this decade. I'd love to hear a half dozen more studio albums. But BW can be as practical as the next guy -- I don't think he misses the fact that audiences keep clamoring for Pet Sounds.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:20:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »

Realistically? No one makes money from record sales anymore. Many thousands of people are willing to pay the equivalent of a couple of MIC boxed sets to see BW live. They're not willing to spend a tiny fraction of that on original music.

So it's all about the money? Not Brian's muse? Not creating? In the end, dude's just like Mike? Gotta make that money.

I don't buy it. Maybe Brian has overcome his aversion/fear of touring. Somehow, contrary to pretty much everything we know and read about the man, he's found happiness in touring. I guess that's fine. I'm happy for him, and it's awesome for the fraction of his overall current and future fandom that is able to see him perform. But it kinda sucks for the rest of us. I'd take one. Just ONE-- even mediocre-- studio album over three great tours.  My kids won't give a rat's butt about some concert in 2017, just as this uber-fan couldn't care less about any Beach Boys tour over the past 55 years.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:38:45 PM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

I don't know if Brian needs the money, but he probably wants to make sure his family and kids are set for as long as possible. And I think he's also reached the point where touring gives his life some order. Not that he enjoys it or loves it all the time, but it's a very structured way to live.

I mean, listen, I think he's been over toured for most of this decade. I'd love to hear a half dozen more studio albums. But BW can be as practical as the next guy -- I don't think he misses the fact that audiences keep clamoring for Pet Sounds.

All solid points. And I've kinda felt like the structure part is the main reason he's been touring so much this last decade. There seems to be a consistent outlook from bands who come back from tours: their whole life feels shattered and eerily quiet when they get off tour. They go from nightly applause, new sights to see, different foods to eat, etc, to complete silence of being back home...general consensus seems to be that it drives you crazy.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:51:27 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 11:09:49 PM »

This is the sad truth. When news of a new Brian album happens, we get all excited, all do our pre-orders for the new music, talk about it for a few weeks...then forget about it. The general public doesn't care about new music from any of the Boys - they want those nostalgia soaked live shows. They want the opportunity to say "I saw Brian Wilson! Live!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »

For me, I just love being in Brian's presence.  He could do a tour based on the Fetty Wap songbook and I'd be happy.

That said...I want a new studio album, like, yesterday.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2017, 02:41:01 AM »

More originals with guest artists, more Gershwin or finally the rock and roll album - I don't care. As long as there is more Brian Wilson in the world. Bring it on.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2018, 06:57:50 PM »

From Blondie Chaplin's facebook 12 minutes ago...
"Some cool things are brewing...Blondie Chaplin plans to hit the studio with Brian Wilson and Waddy Wachtel very soon. Stay tuned!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »

Interesting... wonder if it is Blondie guesting on Brian’s record, or the other way around...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2018, 04:56:31 AM »

Interesting... wonder if it is Blondie guesting on Brian’s record, or the other way around...

The cynic in me says it’s the other way around. And by cynic, I’m more than stoked to hear a new song by Blondie, but honestly I’d rather this be the start of a BW album.

But I think it more likely that Waddy Wachtel would be working with Blondie rather than Brian. But I hope someone can prove that wrong.

KDS
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2018, 05:27:30 AM »

More originals with guest artists, more Gershwin or finally the rock and roll album - I don't care. As long as there is more Brian Wilson in the world. Bring it on.

I can't say that I agree with the sentiment of putting out an album just for the sake of putting out an album. 

I'd rather wait for a quality product with the only guest stars having The Beach Boys on their resumes, and preferably original material.  Perhaps including the complete Life Suite. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:44 AM »

I can't say that I agree with the sentiment of putting out an album just for the sake of putting out an album. 

I'd rather wait for a quality product with the only guest stars having The Beach Boys on their resumes, and preferably original material.  Perhaps including the complete Life Suite. 

Though I agree I’d rather have Beach Boys as guest artists than anyone else, I think ‘Guess You Had To Be There’ is one of Brian’s better solo songs of his whole career. So if he has guests appear on an upcoming album my only hope is that the quality is as good as GYHTBT.

It does make me wonder, if Brian were ever to complete that life suite - would he re-record the original TWGMTR tracks as covers, and then add the rest of the songs with his own band and Al?

KDS
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2018, 06:03:53 AM »

Though I agree I’d rather have Beach Boys as guest artists than anyone else, I think ‘Guess You Had To Be There’ is one of Brian’s better solo songs of his whole career. So if he has guests appear on an upcoming album my only hope is that the quality is as good as GYHTBT.

It does make me wonder, if Brian were ever to complete that life suite - would he re-record the original TWGMTR tracks as covers, and then add the rest of the songs with his own band and Al?

I don't get the attraction to GYHTBT.   If not for Runaway Dancer, that would be my pick for worst NPP track.  I do like Saturday Night and Half Moon Bay though. 

Personally, if Brian were to complete the Life Suite, I'd prefer he just re-record it with his band and Al, just for consistency sake. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2018, 06:18:34 AM »

Everyone’s got different tastes. It’s one of the happiest most rollicking songs Brian has done in his solo career, IMO (probably besides Good Kind Of Love). To me it sounds completely organic and lively...no doubt in part to the positive writing experience Musgraves had with Brian for this song.

KDS
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2018, 06:21:09 AM »

Everyone’s got different tastes. It’s one of the happiest most rollicking songs Brian has done in his solo career, IMO (probably besides Good Kind Of Love). To me it sounds completely organic and lively...no doubt in part to the positive writing experience Musgraves had with Brian for this song.

I guess so.  I like some happy songs, and I like country music a little more with each passing year.   

For a happy sounding Brian song, I much prefer Don't Worry, which didn't make the "proper" album cut.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2018, 06:25:26 AM »

I guess so.  I like some happy songs, and I like country music a little more with each passing year.   

For a happy sounding Brian song, I much prefer Don't Worry, which didn't make the "proper" album cut.

That’s one song I would’ve loved to have been in the studio for during recording. And also would’ve loved to have heard the genesis of this song. I didn’t like it much first time hearing it, Woodstock (Niko) once explained to me the dynamics of the song and it opened my eyes to how cool it actually is.

KDS
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2018, 06:28:27 AM »

That’s one song I would’ve loved to have been in the studio for during recording. And also would’ve loved to have heard the genesis of this song. I didn’t like it much first time hearing it, Woodstock (Niko) once explained to me the dynamics of the song and it opened my eyes to how cool it actually is.

Speaking of "genesis," Don't Worry reminds me a lot of 1980s Phil Collins. 
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2018, 10:55:29 AM »

It sounds like early 70s Frankie Valli/Four Seasons to me.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »

Yeah it sounds like a four seasons outtake (in a good way) since BW didn’t follow that trend in 1970s...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »

The BB song that most reminds me of the Four Seasons is "The Night Was So Young".

"Is somebody going to tell me why she has to hi-i-ide" has a very Seasons-ish feel to it...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2018, 12:17:51 PM »

It sounds like early 70s Frankie Valli/Four Seasons to me.

I could see that a little, but I think Joe Thomas's work on the song makes it sounds like an ultra slick PC radio hit. 
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »

Brian, Blondie and Waddy are working on "Werewolves of Hawthorne"! LOL
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2018, 08:10:50 PM »

The cynic in me says it’s the other way around. And by cynic, I’m more than stoked to hear a new song by Blondie, but honestly I’d rather this be the start of a BW album.

But I think it more likely that Waddy Wachtel would be working with Blondie rather than Brian. But I hope someone can prove that wrong.

Start of C50 + Blondie and Ricky?Huh

Ok terrible joke I know (even though I want it SO badly  Cry)

I'll see myself out.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:13:33 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx