gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:46:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's next solo album (NPP followup) speculation and info thread  (Read 37663 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »

Wow, a disturbance in the force!I couldn't agree more. NPP was very special! There were a few nay sayers who seem to have hijacked the rest of our listening experience. Seems like all that was talked about was auto tune or not , adult contemporary or not etc. Loved NPP! Loved most of C50. Cant wait to hear RJR, The Beck sessions. Anyone Brian wants to work with is ok with me. from Mike Love on! Maybe we can start talking about the brilliance of these last two albums. Ill agree with someone previous "Whatever Happened" is haunting . and disagree with another. On From There To Back Again, Al's voice seems triple tracked , and I like the result.

I've been meaning to make a thread about TWGMTR and people's thoughts on it years later, it packs such a punch of great music, a real perfect last album for the guys (if in fact they never release another album together).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 12:00:59 PM »

You know, this might surprise some people but I honestly don't really have a problem with Joe Thomas. And I'm also not the hugest fan of That Lucky Old Sun either. However, I do want to caveat both of those statements and I will get to that later.

Anyways, first off I gotta say that Brian sounds better (and more commercial) on Imagination, That's Why God Made The Radio and No Pier Pressure than on anything else from his solo career (besides his first album, which I've actually grown to really like vocally). I think his vocals on That Lucky Old Sun are really kinda rough and that the only vocal that really is of any true quality is "Midnight's Another Day." I think perhaps the reason that people really love the album (and don't get me wrong, I really dig it) is that there is a lot more rockin' material on there than most of Brian's other solo work, most of which is kinda ballad driven.

Now what I will say is that I wouldn't lump No Pier Pressure in with Imagination as far as the music. In my opinion, a large hunk of Imagination was really pushed in the late '90s adult contemporary direction, whereas I think that TWGMTR and NPP both seemed more like "Brian Wilson" music to me.

I will say one thing though, of his studio albums, the Disney album is the one BW album that I have never owned and from the sound of things on this board maybe I should pick it up, as you guys are saying there are some top notch vocals. Might be interesting to hear.

Definitely pick up the Disney album. 'Baby Mine' and 'Stay Awake' are some of Brian's most heartfelt vocals in his solo career. There are other great songs on the album ('Kiss The Girl' is probably my favorite from the album) but nothing comes close to those two in regards to beauty.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 12:06:59 PM »

If anyone is still looking to pick up Brian's Disney album, make sure to look into the Amazon-exclusive version. The Amazon-exclusive CD adds one extra track ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"), while Amazon's MP3 download version adds two bonus tracks ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Peace on Earth").

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

I would love to discuss the merits of TWGMTR as a retrospective. Too many juices flowing back then for many fans. Now that it looks like it will be the last ever BB album It deserves another look. As far as the Live album, I don't think we will ever know what went on from a recording standpoint. Ive read Mikes book and there is a mystery to be solved or not. I was at several of the shows and I just like to listen to remember what I saw. Sad it won't happen again. But I'd love to hear Thomas side of the story.  I  have heard his recordings and Live releases with Tom Petty , and Fleetwood Mac and Dave Matthews. They are very well done. As was The Brian Wilson and Friends Recording on DVD. I can't believe that with C50 he was not dealt a difficult hand to begin with.
KDS
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »

If anyone is still looking to pick up Brian's Disney album, make sure to look into the Amazon-exclusive version. The Amazon-exclusive CD adds one extra track ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"), while Amazon's MP3 download version adds two bonus tracks ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" and "Peace on Earth").

Those bonus tracks can both be purchased for download on Amazon.  The CD with the bonus track can be a little pricey. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:04 PM »

I would love to discuss the merits of TWGMTR as a retrospective. Too many juices flowing back then for many fans. Now that it looks like it will be the last ever BB album It deserves another look. As far as the Live album, I don't think we will ever know what went on from a recording standpoint. Ive read Mikes book and there is a mystery to be solved or not. I was at several of the shows and I just like to listen to remember what I saw. Sad it won't happen again. But I'd love to hear Thomas side of the story.  I  have heard his recordings and Live releases with Tom Petty , and Fleetwood Mac and Dave Matthews. They are very well done. As was The Brian Wilson and Friends Recording on DVD. I can't believe that with C50 he was not dealt a difficult hand to begin with.

I've not read Mike's book, but I heard he talked about autotune devices being installed on microphones (am I remembering correctly?)? I am certain that that's not possible at all...if autotune occurs it is done with a computer near the soundboard. Listen to any performance on YouTube of any C50 concert, especially the Chiba concert - the vocals sound pristine as anything. But yet we got a disaster with the C50 album. Mike sounds like a friggin robot on half of the songs as does half the band on any given song. It really was a shame, I never made it to any C50 concerts so I was hoping for a great sounding record to capture that magic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:24:57 PM by rab2591 » Logged

timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »

I've not read Mike's book, but I heard he talked about autotune devices being installed on microphones (am I remembering correctly?)? I am certain that that's not possible at all...if autotune occurs it is done with a computer near the soundboard. Listen to any performance on YouTube of any C50 concert, especially the Chiba concert - the vocals sound pristine as anything. But yet we got a disaster with the C50 album. Mike sounds like a friggin robot on half of the songs as does half the band on any given song. It really was a shame, I never made it to any C50 concerts so I was hoping for a great sounding record to capture that magic.

Id rather just wait to discuss TWGMTR ! Sounds like more fun.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »

There was something attached to Brian's mic at the start of the tour. It was gone within a dozen shows or so.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »

Thanks Wirestone. I will redact what I said above about it.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

As for JT hate, a lot of it originated in the fact that Imagination was Brian's first full studio solo album in 10 years. "Your Imagination" was a great leadoff single, but then the rest of the album hit -- and it was what it was. Folks were really pining after the Paley sessions, too, which were booted at around the same time. The contrast between the batches of material was huge, and given the ongoing art vs. commerce narrative around BW, it was easy to slot Joe into the "Mike Love" role.

Obviously things are more complicated than that, and Joe has ended up playing a benign-to-positive role in the story, but I suspect that's where it started.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 12:25:49 PM »

Actually, now that I read your post more closely, I see you were talking about where the tuning would be done. I have no idea if the device was on Brian's physical mic or not.

What is true is that the early shows featured some appalling effects on Brian's vocals. At a certain point, after outrage surfaced online, the effects were gone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 01:07:38 PM by Wirestone » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »

I think they were there during the Hollywood Bowl show.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 12:32:05 PM »

Actually, now that I read your post more closely, I see you were talking about where the tuning would be done. I have no idea if the device was on Brian's physical mic or not.

What is true is that the early shows featured some appalling effects on Brian's vocals. At a certain point, after outrage surfaced online, the effects were gone.

I was basing my statements on something I heard that was in Mike's book and can't really remember well...so I'm glad you responded. Either way it's crazy to me that such effects would be used live for a band who made their fame mostly because of their natural voices.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:33:39 PM by rab2591 » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

All the more reason why bad vocal studio production (not talking about vocal performances, but bad work by somebody on the studio and/or live payroll) should be called out. We can sometimes make a positive difference! I say that sincerely and with only the best of intentions.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »

In terms of what kind of material Brian decides to release or record next, I keep coming back to the fact that he's a studio guy at heart, that's his wheelhouse and that's where he really likes to be...cutting tracks in the studio. If he decides to cut some cover songs, or get his feet wet doing whatever else comes up that gets him back in a studio recording tracks, so be it. I think whatever direction he decides to go with recording, he'll bring what he brings to the studio, and that's part of the "x factor" that a lot of his fans like me have been trying to decipher for decades. Like trying to figure out how the magician does his/her magic tricks, it's a part of some of us being fans that we enjoy hearing those special Brian Moments on studio tracks, whether they are the entire track itself or a few seconds of sonic bliss that just grab you and pull you in...to the point where you have to hit the rewind button again and again...asking as so many have since the 60's..."how in the hell did he get that sound?!"

I think one of the tragedies of the reactions to NPP album overall is that too many listeners got caught up in the bullshit that surrounded the discussions (and in some cases the bullshitters who were the perpetrators) and a lot of those really unique and very cool musical moments didn't get noticed.

Maybe that's why revisiting and reevaluating albums like NPP or even Gershwin or the Christmas album every so often can lead to some really satisfying listening experiences, if not discovering elements that were missed on earlier listening sessions. There are a lot of those Brian Moments in those grooves.

I totally agree, GF. There are so many great moments in NPP - sonic moments that are pure Brian Wilson. 'Sail Away' has one in the second part of the first chorus - there is a very low horn in the right speaker that adds such a depth to that chorus...reminds me of those special instrumental moments on Pet Sounds when one sole instrument would subtly add so much to a section...only upon a close listen would you realize why it sounds that way.

So many of these moments were overlooked by so many; it was more important for some to childishly mock the entire fuckin album instead of appreciating what a gift it really is. Really glad to see people are giving it another look years later. I think it'll go down as one of his better solo albums.

I think good music has a way of coming into people's lives when the time is right, I mean...look what happened with Pet Sounds. Look what may be happening right now with various tracks that got the spotlight on the new Sunshine Tomorrow set. This music was overlooked or even forgotten about for decades in some cases, but there comes that time where it does get that reevaluation and renewed interest and people will listen in a different way. Often that different way is within a new context and with a more open mind.

I think NPP has some musical moments that are absolutely as good as anything Brian has done. I wrote up a long review when it came out, and tried to pinpoint some of those, but among them are the way those guitars intertwine and interact during sections of "The Right Time". To me it was reminiscent of tracks from Pet Sounds like IJWMFTT where Brian's multiple guitar arrangements created this swirl of arpeggios and harmonies that was like a guitar choir, just this cloud of sound that to me is one of those Brian Moments on record that I mentioned earlier.

Once some of the childish and/or foolish kicks were had by those who decided to make a joke out of trashing the music, all of that gets forgotten along with all the other unfortunate crap that went down and some people will get down to listening to the music with that fresh perspective. All the clowns officially departed the Volkswagen Beetle, they did their little routines, and now the curtain can be opened for the real show, which of course is the music.

The good music lasts, and continues to get rediscovered by future generations. Look how many people in 2017 are digging what was a pretty obscure album cut like Aren't You Glad, 50 years after the fact? The good stuff lasts, the jokers do not.

Just a side note and another repeat of what I've been saying for 2 years: NPP is a great sounding record. Sonically, the mix is just fantastic. There are many layers of instruments and tracks but each seems to have enough space as to not get lost or even seem overloaded. Credit to all involved in the sound of the record.

And I also add on that note, TWGMTR has aged very well after 5 years. Every time I put it on to listen, it sounds better each time. It is also a very well done and extremely well mixed album that does not seem to get the attention it deserves on those aspects.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:37 PM »

Mike's book mentions autotune devices being "attached....to the mics" in his book, and I think most everyone who is familiar with how that works and would work has weighed in that autotune is typically done back at the board, or somewhere in line, and do not consist of actual physical devices that are attached to microphones.

Mike's book isn't clear on whether Mike's comment was somewhat figurative; I dunno. It certainly comes across to me as if he actually claims he was seeing a device physically attached to the mics. But I think in his book he was less concerned with describing the logistics of the technology and more concerned that the reader was made aware that *MELINDA!!!!* was allegedly the one responsible.

As for its use on the C50 tour, recordings make it very clear which shows feature the effect on Brian's vocal, and the point at which it clearly was no longer in use. I think it went away very early in the tour, within the first week or so, give or take.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:52:17 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »

Id rather just wait to discuss TWGMTR ! Sounds like more fun.

I'm in, lets do it.  I loved TWGMTR then and I still do.  Most of the album holds up well after 5 years.  If you take the first 3 tracks and the last 4 as documenting the BB's final studio output, they finished quite strong. Not a bad turn of events considering some of the 90's material.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »

I think they were there during the Hollywood Bowl show.

Hollywood Bowl was early June; the autotune or autotune-type effect was gone in early May at the latest.

I saw the Berkeley show on June 1st, the night before the Hollywood Bowl show, and didn't hear any such effects.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 12:18:54 AM »

I don't think Brian is any hurry to do another album. The focus these days is clearly on touring - that's where the money is. And as much as i'd love for him to focus more on songs from the Wild Honey era, I think they will stay with the formula of greatest hits plus Pet Sounds or Smile. Yeah, I know they are saying this year is the final performances of PS. Right.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »

I don't think Brian is any hurry to do another album. The focus these days is clearly on touring - that's where the money is. And as much as i'd love for him to focus more on songs from the Wild Honey era, I think they will stay with the formula of greatest hits plus Pet Sounds or Smile. Yeah, I know they are saying this year is the final performances of PS. Right.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

They are of course getting more active bookings doing the PS tour. But I would still tend to doubt we'll get another full year of PS shows. Meanwhile, Brian has said he isn't into doing the verbose songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" or "Surf's Up", so a "Smile" tour would seem unlikely.

I think 2018 will possibly only see some select live dates (three are booked in May with a symphony right now), and those shows will probably not be PS shows.

I'm as sympathetic to Brian and his show as can be, but it seems pretty clear Brian is getting pretty bored singing the full PS album every night. His team should, if they want to do another tour next year, move on from PS.

KDS
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »

They are of course getting more active bookings doing the PS tour. But I would still tend to doubt we'll get another full year of PS shows. Meanwhile, Brian has said he isn't into doing the verbose songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" or "Surf's Up", so a "Smile" tour would seem unlikely.

I think 2018 will possibly only see some select live dates (three are booked in May with a symphony right now), and those shows will probably not be PS shows.

I'm as sympathetic to Brian and his show as can be, but it seems pretty clear Brian is getting pretty bored singing the full PS album every night. His team should, if they want to do another tour next year, move on from PS.

Our Prayer / H&V has for the most part been out of the setlist for awhile too.  Though, in Brian's defense, H&V is not an easy song to sing.  So, GV is the only Smile era song in the setlist. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:26 AM »

H&V would be perfect to hand over to Al. Easy solution there.

I think when/if they continue touring and doing non-PS shows, the setlist will become a bit more dynamic and diverse, because they'll all of a sudden have 13-ish song slots to play with again, minus the three or four PS songs they would keep in a non-PS setlist.

KDS
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »

I think when/if they continue touring and doing non-PS shows, the setlist will become a bit more dynamic and diverse, because they'll all of a sudden have 13-ish song slots to play with again, minus the three or four PS songs they would keep in a non-PS setlist.

True, but I'm thinking Brian just might not want it in the set anymore. 

After three years of heavy touring, I'd hope the schedule for 2018 would be a little lighter. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »

After three years of heavy touring, I'd hope the schedule for 2018 would be a little lighter. 

I hope this too. I mean, if Brian is happy then he should tour to his heart's content. But I really wish he would relax for a bit and also get in the studio and record some. A concert creates unforgettable memories, but albums certainly have their place too. I can see Brian recording a rock and roll covers album and going out and touring a few of those songs alongside the usual Beach Boy hits...it would all around be something special.

KDS
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2017, 08:29:19 AM »

I hope this too. I mean, if Brian is happy then he should tour to his heart's content. But I really wish he would relax for a bit and also get in the studio and record some. A concert creates unforgettable memories, but albums certainly have their place too. I can see Brian recording a rock and roll covers album and going out and touring a few of those songs alongside the usual Beach Boy hits...it would all around be something special.

I could see that working.  Especially since Brian seems to prefer the more upbeat rock and roll based numbers in concert.  Some of those early BB songs would fit nicely alongside some rock and roll standards.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx