gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:37:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What does Mike want?  (Read 11262 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »

And I say that all due respect to Mike's input, which on occasion I absolutely LOVE on songs like Please Let Me Wonder and Kiss Me, Baby. Nobody should belittle the legit great contributions that Mike gave to the band, no matter how much Mike might bug the hell out of us. He cowrote some stellar material; that's the truth. He just continues to undo any chance of people being able to simply appreciate that great material by acting so foolishly so much of the time, and straw-grabbing for credit on WIBN (thus calling into question how much he *actually* contributed to other songs, since if he's gonna make a BS claim on that song, it very unfortunately naturally has to make one wonder about others).

Very well stated

I second that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »

I feel like C50 was Mike's last chance.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

What's insane to me is that TWGMTR was such an amazing album, and the concerts themselves seemed to be insanely popular. I won't say anything about the politics of what happened at the end of the C50, but it's such a lost opportunity.

I've been listening to TWGMTR a lot lately, and I plan to make a thread about it soon. But man it completely showcases how friggin good these guys are when they get together. I really do hope that the bad blood goes away and these guys get together again for some more songs/albums.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »

What's insane to me is that TWGMTR was such an amazing album, and the concerts themselves seemed to be insanely popular. I won't say anything about the politics of what happened at the end of the C50, but it's such a lost opportunity.

I've been listening to TWGMTR a lot lately, and I plan to make a thread about it soon. But man it completely showcases how friggin good these guys are when they get together. I really do hope that the bad blood goes away and these guys get together again for some more songs/albums.

Perhaps the largest obstacle in the room to make a reunion happen would be in psyche of the lovester's mindset. The gigantic "if" would be if he could come to terms with his runaway ego which I think would be not in the realm of the way he's set his buttons this late in life. By now and at this time of his life, we cannot expect to witness significant changes in a personality that has manifested itself in deep rooted jealousy and insecurity for as long as it has. His only outside chance to experience a gracious, overwhelming forgiving for past actions and attitude would be to start to invest in some sort of humility which is the first and most important test of a truly good man. Without this type of change in philosophy, he can look forward to the certain hell that he will go with to his grave.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

What does Mike want?  I could give a sh*t.  I know what I want.  I want Mike to just  f*** off.  Now.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 08:15:29 PM »

I am not even sure if he co-wrote those (warmth of the sun was their best imo)

SMiLE Brian, you're not saying you don't think he co-wrote those, are you?

And by the way, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the exalted status some have given to "Kiss Me Baby" is ridiculous, cuz it ain't that great.
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 08:21:39 PM »

Mike doesn't seem to have any artistic integrity. All he seems to care about is mainstream status, and keeping the Beach Boys relegated to a "fun in the summer" type of band.

I'm really not a fan of the man.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »

And by the way, this may be an unpopular opinion, but I think the exalted status some have given to "Kiss Me Baby" is ridiculous, cuz it ain't that great.

I humbly disagree. I think it's a perfect song, IMO.

I will say that even though I am quick to throw heaps of praise Mike's way for songs like Kiss Me, Baby and Please Let Me Wonder (two songs I love perhaps as much, or even more than most Pet Sounds tracks), I do honestly sometimes wonder how much of the words he actually quantifiably wrote. All of em? Maybe a few lines?

I wonder how much Brian was involved in writing those lyrics, and if Mike just polished them, or vice versa or something. Maybe that's not the case at all; maybe Mike wrote all or almost all of the lyrics. It's just something I have thought about. Not a knock against Mike, and not trying to take away credit from him, but I do ponder what the facts are. Especially in light of the WIBN credit strawgrab, I can't exactly not take that into consideration in terms of when I think about what Mike apparently terms as creditable contributions. I get it - he's warped from being screwed over regarding many song credits he missed out on. I get that. I also get that over-correcting is super toxic and has a reverse effect, where people now have reason to perhaps doubt stuff.

But whatever his contributions were to those songs (PLMW and KMB), they were certainly fine contributions. The two guys must've vibed off each other in a way that garnered great results for those songs. Please Let Me Wonder of course has an alternate version with a largely different set of lyrics (all sung by Mike); surprisingly this version remains officially unreleased, but I wonder if Mike wrote *those* lyrics, and then just Brian rewrote them and resung them? Or maybe not. Who knows. This stuff is fascinating to me, and I approach learning these things without any sort of agenda. My only agenda is for crediting to be fair, and for people (including Mike) to be credited where it's properly due, and for him (and the band's legacy) to be respected, and for ego to please take a back freaking seat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:00:52 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »

I will say that even though I am quick to throw heaps of praise Mike's way for songs like Kiss Me, Baby and Please Let Me Wonder (two songs I love perhaps as much, or even more than most Pet Sounds tracks), I do honestly sometimes wonder how much of the words he actually quantifiably wrote. All of em? Maybe a few lines?

I wonder how much Brian was involved in writing those lyrics, and if Mike just polished them, or vice versa or something. Maybe that's not the case at all; maybe Mike wrote all or almost all of the lyrics. It's just something I have thought about. Not a knock against Mike, and not trying to take away credit from him, but I do ponder what the facts are. Especially in light of the WIBN credit strawgrab, I can't exactly not take that into consideration in terms of when I think about what Mike apparently terms as creditable contributions. I get it - he's warped from being screwed over regarding many song credits he missed out on. I get that. I also get that over-correcting is super toxic and has a reverse effect, where people now have reason to perhaps doubt stuff.

But whatever his contributions were to those songs (PLMW and KMB), they were certainly fine contributions. The two guys must've vibed off each other in a way that garnered great results for those songs. Please Let Me Wonder of course has an alternate version with a largely different set of lyrics (all sung by Mike); surprisingly this version remains officially unreleased, but I wonder if Mike wrote *those* lyrics, and then just Brian rewrote them and resung them? Or maybe not. Who knows. This stuff is fascinating to me, and I approach learning these things without any sort of agenda. My only agenda is for crediting to be fair, and for people (including Mike) to be credited where it's properly due, and for him (and the band's legacy) to be respected, and for ego to please take a back freaking seat.

I don't know why "Kiss Me Baby" bugs me. I think "kiss a little bit, fight a little bit" is goofy and in general I think the lyrics leave me wanting more. So I guess it's Mike's fault on that one, ha.

Now about "Please Let Me Wonder" whatever Brian and Mike did with that one, they deserve heaps of praise for it. Now that to me is nearly a perfect song.

Now here is an interesting quote for ol' Doctor Love about "Please Let Me Wonder"...

"I remember wondering about the title. Not relating to the title so great but writing the verses."

What did he mean by that, not relating to the title. He didn't want to wonder? Ha!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 01:04:34 AM »

I don't know why "Kiss Me Baby" bugs me. I think "kiss a little bit, fight a little bit" is goofy and in general I think the lyrics leave me wanting more. So I guess it's Mike's fault on that one, ha.

Now about "Please Let Me Wonder" whatever Brian and Mike did with that one, they deserve heaps of praise for it. Now that to me is nearly a perfect song.

Now here is an interesting quote for ol' Doctor Love about "Please Let Me Wonder"...

"I remember wondering about the title. Not relating to the title so great but writing the verses."

What did he mean by that, not relating to the title. He didn't want to wonder? Ha!

That speaks volumes as to whose psyche was in a great deal of those songs.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »

What does Mike want?  I could give a sh*t.  I know what I want.  I want Mike to just  f*** off.  Now.

+1! Although I also give him credit for many of his long-ago vocals and some of the co-songwriting. He is WAY beyond tiresome now.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:26:37 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 01:29:37 AM »

I agree with Add Some on this one. Mike may have been an important part of it once but that was a long time ago and unfortunately Mike has not tried to move with the times but just wants to 'do it again' and again and again. I do not believe anything meaningful would be achieved by another reunion and in fact I hope there isn't one.

Realistically these guys won't be on the road for too much longer.  Maybe Brian will write more music - I certainly hope so. He doesn't need Mike for that and will have more artistic freedom without the sort of constraints Mike would be likely to apply.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 01:31:03 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 04:49:53 AM »

That speaks volumes as to whose psyche was in a great deal of those songs.
Agreed, I am just skeptical about songwriting credits from the 1994 lawsuit in general.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »

I'll tell you what Mike really wants, above all: Hair. He wants a beautiful full head of hair like his cousin Brian has. IMO that is the source of 99% of his resentment.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 05:13:54 PM »

But that's the ironic part of all this. Ok so Mike is "commercial". Great. But he's not doing anything commercial!

Is he releasing albums and singles that are topping the charts? Nope.
Is he collaborating with today's top musicians? Nope.
Is he releasing merchandise at retailers like other bands from the 60s? Nope.
Is he selling out stadiums? Nope.

I like Mike a lot actually. I believe he gets a bad rap. But he just doesn't get it. He's just so out of touch with today's generation, culture & music.. It sucks to say that bout the guy who co-wrote some of the most iconic, greatest and endearing music of our time.

Santas goin to Kokomo... The boss's Hungry Heart... You'll never be alone on Christmas Day... And now Do It Again 2017??
Give me an effin break.

Pieces brothers is a good little tune but would've been better had it been done in 1967/68.

Every decade it's one career misstep after another.. Why stop now!?

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »

I think part of him really does miss the hell out of the old days and would love nothing more than to travel back in time to when The Beach Boys were beginning to make it. As this isn't possible I think he's bitter about where life took his cousin, friends, family, over the years. He doesn't know how to express this irritation methinks, so he takes it out passive aggressively when he can. He takes it out in force during lawsuit season.

What does Mike want? My best guess is he wants to be back on the stage with Carl, Dennis, David, Al, Brian 1961. That's why he loves touring: these days he looks out and sees singing happy people every night, fans that adore his songs. Fans that don't get caught up in the cliques and sides, just people out there who love the music. He wants to make music with Stamos and McGrath, music with autotune so hopefully young people can get into this music and go to his concerts. He can't stand the depressing life suite because it reminds him of what he hates about life...which is why he wants to write with Brian to bring out some more positivity perhaps.

Very insightful observation.  Yearning for the past, the innocence, the camaraderie, but not being able to go back in time, creating bitterness and resentment, and maybe even some regrets.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »

I think part of him really does miss the hell out of the old days and would love nothing more than to travel back in time to when The Beach Boys were beginning to make it. As this isn't possible I think he's bitter about where life took his cousin, friends, family, over the years. He doesn't know how to express this irritation methinks, so he takes it out passive aggressively when he can. He takes it out in force during lawsuit season.

What does Mike want? My best guess is he wants to be back on the stage with Carl, Dennis, David, Al, Brian 1961. That's why he loves touring: these days he looks out and sees singing happy people every night, fans that adore his songs. Fans that don't get caught up in the cliques and sides, just people out there who love the music. He wants to make music with Stamos and McGrath, music with autotune so hopefully young people can get into this music and go to his concerts. He can't stand the depressing life suite because it reminds him of what he hates about life...which is why he wants to write with Brian to bring out some more positivity perhaps.

Very insightful observation.  Yearning for the past, the innocence, the camaraderie, but not being able to go back in time, creating bitterness and resentment, and maybe even some regrets.

I think rab's thoughts indeed make a lot of sense. I will amend the ideas to also suggest that whatever it is from the past that Mike might be yearning for, it's still his *idealized* version of it. One of Mike's main deals, in my opinion, is that he doesn't want to be told what to do. He'll collaborate with Brian, but only when he wants to and on his terms. He'll be on stage with Al Jardine, but only if Al stays in his place and doesn't try to dictate or maybe even suggest anything.

So when I say, for instance, that Mike clearly would rather be on stage with McGrath and Stamos and Brian and Al, I don't mean so much that it's a rejection of those actual people. I think Mike would love to have all of the surviving BBs on stage (or go back in time to where they're all on stage) alongside him, as long as he's not doing everything by committee. He wanted/wants to write with Brian still to this day he says, but it's his idealized version of writing with Brian, one that is unrealistic. There's no compromising.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »

I think rab's thoughts indeed make a lot of sense. I will amend the ideas to also suggest that whatever it is from the past that Mike might be yearning for, it's still his *idealized* version of it. One of Mike's main deals, in my opinion, is that he doesn't want to be told what to do. He'll collaborate with Brian, but only when he wants to and on his terms. He'll be on stage with Al Jardine, but only if Al stays in his place and doesn't try to dictate or maybe even suggest anything.

So when I say, for instance, that Mike clearly would rather be on stage with McGrath and Stamos and Brian and Al, I don't mean so much that it's a rejection of those actual people. I think Mike would love to have all of the surviving BBs on stage (or go back in time to where they're all on stage) alongside him, as long as he's not doing everything by committee. He wanted/wants to write with Brian still to this day he says, but it's his idealized version of writing with Brian, one that is unrealistic. There's no compromising.

To add to this. Mike has been openly vocal about the control Brian has been under all his life: whether it be Brian being controlled by Murry, controlled by street drugs, controlled by hipster friends in the 60s, controlled by Landy, controlled by prescription medication, controlled by "handlers" in current times, controlled by Joe Thomas. The only control that is okay is if Mike gets to be alone in a room with Brian.

Here is Mike, vocally wanting an uncompromising piece of the pie that all the controlling forces in Brian's life wanted in the past even though he complains about the uncompromising control Brian has been under his whole life....he just doesn't see the ridiculous irony in this.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 04:08:36 AM »

To add to this. Mike has been openly vocal about the control Brian has been under all his life: whether it be Brian being controlled by Murry, controlled by street drugs, controlled by hipster friends in the 60s, controlled by Landy, controlled by prescription medication, controlled by "handlers" in current times, controlled by Joe Thomas. The only control that is okay is if Mike gets to be alone in a room with Brian.

Here is Mike, vocally wanting an uncompromising piece of the pie that all the controlling forces in Brian's life wanted in the past even though he complains about the uncompromising control Brian has been under his whole life....he just doesn't see the ridiculous irony in this.

Astute. I also think that Mike likes to believe that he had a more special relationship with Brian than anyone else and resents those he believes took Brian from him. He's a bit like a jealous ex wife, taking her ex husband to the cleaners for every penny she can get and blaming the 'other women' she believes 'stole' him from her.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 04:20:07 AM »

I'll tell you what Mike really wants, above all: Hair. He wants a beautiful full head of hair like his cousin Brian has. IMO that is the source of 99% of his resentment.

LOL LOL LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2017, 01:18:50 PM »

Or how about Mike publicly disliking the last few songs on TWGMTR (arguably Brian's most creative contributions to The Beach Boys - musically and lyrically - since Love You)?

Is there a source on this? I have to say, if he said this, he's out to lunch. The end of this album ranks, IMO, as among the greatest stuff the band has ever done.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:19:56 PM by Juice Brohnston » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2017, 02:21:51 PM »

Or how about Mike publicly disliking the last few songs on TWGMTR (arguably Brian's most creative contributions to The Beach Boys - musically and lyrically - since Love You)?

Is there a source on this? I have to say, if he said this, he's out to lunch. The end of this album ranks, IMO, as among the greatest stuff the band has ever done.

I’ll be able to find it tomorrow or early next week - there are too many Mike interviews to trawl through on the phone. There is one interview where he talks about how he’s the silver lining guy (I think he alluded to Summer’s Gone or the whole life suite as a dark cloud). There’s also another instance (could be from the same interview) where Mike was seen forming his fingers into the shape of a gun and putting it to his head when listening to ‘Summer’s Gone’. Someone here can probably back me up on this. But i’ll be sure to post the sources when I can.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 02:34:03 PM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »

The rolling stone article "the fragile BBs reunion"

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »

One afternoon in February, the Beach Boys crowd into the control room at Ocean Way to listen to the suite. John Stamos, the actor (a serious Beach Boys fan who often performs with Mike Love's band), stands in the back, twirling his sunglasses. When the music ends, the room falls silent. Finally, Stamos breaks the ice. "Magical," he says. Love, sitting next to me on a leather couch, has another reaction, which he demonstrates by putting his fingers into the shape of a gun, placing it under his chin and shooting himself in the head. "It's brilliant, beautiful, but I didn't write it, so it doesn't have that silver cloud on the cumulus nimbus," he says. "It's more cumulus than I probably would do."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2017, 07:10:20 PM »

One afternoon in February, the Beach Boys crowd into the control room at Ocean Way to listen to the suite. John Stamos, the actor (a serious Beach Boys fan who often performs with Mike Love's band), stands in the back, twirling his sunglasses. When the music ends, the room falls silent. Finally, Stamos breaks the ice. "Magical," he says. Love, sitting next to me on a leather couch, has another reaction, which he demonstrates by putting his fingers into the shape of a gun, placing it under his chin and shooting himself in the head. "It's brilliant, beautiful, but I didn't write it, so it doesn't have that silver cloud on the cumulus nimbus," he says. "It's more cumulus than I probably would do."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-beach-boys-last-wave-20120621

Good lord that is a cringey quote... I mean can you imagine the faces of the other band members when he said this? Then imagine listening to this for almost 50 years. The man really lacks perception
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx