gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:10:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul McCartney on Vegetables  (Read 5642 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »

I have heard many times, as I am sure most of you that Paul was in the sessions for Vegetables. Though, I have not heard him talking or referred to in any of the sessions for Vegetables. I know he was just chewing vegetables, but I would think that some conversation would exist in the sessions and would have been saved. But none have come out. Anyone have any information on this? I have a hard time believing if they existed in the vaults, it would have been in the Smile Sessions box, or Sunshine Tomorrow. Unless there is a legal reason they can't or the tapes were lost. Or he never talked while the tapes were rolling.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »

We know he was there during the April sessions and that he munched on vegetables for the song, he has said as much as have The Beach Boys.  I would think Brian would have wanted to preserve any Paul chatter during the sessions.  So a few possibilities come to mind.  The session Paul munched on wasn't preserved but was redone by the Boys.  The session chatter was not recorded or edited out and not preserved.  Or the tape is missing with the chatter.  It's hard to tell from the Smile Sessions release because it seems between take chatter is minimal compared to other eras of the band - the same for Smiley and Wild Honey.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »

We know he was there during the April sessions and that he munched on vegetables for the song, he has said as much as have The Beach Boys.  I would think Brian would have wanted to preserve any Paul chatter during the sessions.  So a few possibilities come to mind.  The session Paul munched on wasn't preserved but was redone by the Boys.  The session chatter was not recorded or edited out and not preserved.  Or the tape is missing with the chatter.  It's hard to tell from the Smile Sessions release because it seems between take chatter is minimal compared to other eras of the band - the same for Smiley and Wild Honey.

That seems odd to me that chatter with Paul McCartney would get lost! Unless they found out that he was not the real Paul, but Bill Shephard.  Wink

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »

Mr. Desper might know.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:37:47 AM »

Mr. Desper might know.

COMMENT to Silken:  I know nothing. Remember the Beach Boys have met with The Beatles on other occasions.  And I recall times while in London, hearing, after the fact, when some group members of the BB dinned and went clubing with some group members of TB -- all private and without any press. So a visit from McCartney to a BB session was not that unusual. Personally I would say that comments between any of the two groups were not recorded because the Paul visit was not that special given their overall relationships.

SPECULATION: You need to understand how Brian thinks. Here McCarthey happens to be in the same studio complex as Brian Wilson. Of course he's going to stop by and say hello. Any normal and polite fellow would. This is Brian's session who now has a Beatle in his studio room. Their working on a song about, of all things, vegetables. The song is already in Brian's head and much on tape. But Brian doesn't want to loose this opportunity, yet singing is really not in his plan, nor is a guitar riff. How else can he immortalize this visit? Maybe you don't know the personality of Paul McCarthey, but he's a playful guy. Brian, a person who has no problem giving highly paid studio musicians drills, hammers, and saws to make sound effects with, comes up with a snap idea of having Paul add some chewing noises to his vegetables song. This impromptu addition does not cause any legal, copyright, or ownership problems between the two stars -- but only adds to the "fun" of Vege-tables.  Undoubtedly there was a lot of laughing and fooling around that happened, but the tape doesn't roll all the time. The chewing was probably just punched into a small vacant part of the multi-track. When I've played back and mixed the Vege-tables 8-track for my own entertainment. I believe the chewing part was not on it's own track, rather just stuck in between other parts sharing the same track. So running a tape, as you envision, is not the way it works. More realistically, there happened to be a little clear spot on the 8-track and the effect, created between these two producers, was punched in.

~swd
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »

Thank you mr Desper. I know the tape isn't running all the time. Though I hear joking around in other sessions with The Beach Boys, the wrecking crew and others who participate these recordings. So it's a bummer that chatter with Paul in the studio didn't get recorded or preserved. Would be a wonderful gem to have today!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:28:12 AM »

Mr. Desper might know.

COMMENT to Silken:  I know nothing.

LOL

I must admit that endowing Paul with the surname McCarthey has made my day. Every time I post something about Macca I have to look his name up (is it Mac or Mc? Is there an e in there somewhere?)!   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »

Mr. Desper might know.

COMMENT to Silken:  I know nothing.

LOL

I must admit that endowing Paul with the surname McCarthey has made my day. Every time I post something about Macca I have to look his name up (is it Mac or Mc? Is there an e in there somewhere?)!  

COMMENT to JK:    Didn't you know that Paul McCarthey was a member of the group The Beetles?  

I stand corrected.
~swd

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:55:57 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »

Thank you mr Desper. I know the tape isn't running all the time. Though I hear joking around in other sessions with The Beach Boys, the wrecking crew and others who participate these recordings. So it's a bummer that chatter with Paul in the studio didn't get recorded or preserved. Would be a wonderful gem to have today!

COMMENT to Magic Transistor Radio:  It depends on the format and where in the format the recording is.  Ponging 4-tracks is one thing because two machines are involved. So one machine may be able to run freely. And if tracking on one machine (like an 8-track) then the tape is freely running at first, but once the initial tracking is completed you are locked into a small section of the tape for further recording. In the case of McCartney (thanks JK), his visit was toward the middle of recording, wherein previous tracking has already locked in the freedom to freely run on the multi-track, so freely running the machine would not be possible. ~swd
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:52:32 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 12:01:16 PM »

COMMENT to Magic Transistor Radio:  It depends on the format and where in the format the recording is.  Ponging 4-tracks is one thing because two machines are involved. So one machine may be able to run freely. And if tracking on one machine (like an 8-track) then the tape is freely running at first, but once the initial tracking is completed you are locked into a small section of the tape for further recording. In the case of McCartney (thanks JK), his visit was toward the middle of recording, wherein previous tracking has already locked in the freedom to freely run on the multi-track, so freely running the machine would not be possible. ~swd

Thank you for the explanation. Any recording I have done has been on laptops, so I'm not familiar with the 4 tracks/8 track, etc and how it worked.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

I think I tapped out on much of any fascination about the idea that McCartney might be somewhere burping on "Vegetables", because I think the fact that he studied "Pet Sounds" in some fashion and that Brian listened to the Beatles are both facts that are far more important.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »

I have heard many times, as I am sure most of you that Paul was in the sessions for Vegetables. Though, I have not heard him talking or referred to in any of the sessions for Vegetables. I know he was just chewing vegetables, but I would think that some conversation would exist in the sessions and would have been saved. But none have come out. Anyone have any information on this? I have a hard time believing if they existed in the vaults, it would have been in the Smile Sessions box, or Sunshine Tomorrow. Unless there is a legal reason they can't or the tapes were lost. Or he never talked while the tapes were rolling.

I was ready to credit Sir Paul with "veggie munching" in the 2011 SMiLE Sessions box set sessionography, but since no tapes were found with his voice or reference to him, we figured I'd better not. Too hard to say that any veggie munching on his part remained on tape through the final stages of production.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »

I was ready to credit Sir Paul with "veggie munching" in the 2011 SMiLE Sessions box set sessionography, but since no tapes were found with his voice or reference to him, we figured I'd better not. Too hard to say that any veggie munching on his part remained on tape through the final stages of production.

Are there isolated tapes of just munching sounds? I wonder if any slight grunts which might accompany the munching sounds might be able to be audibly forensically identifiable as Paul. Seriously!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »

Are there isolated tapes of just munching sounds? I wonder if any slight grunts which might accompany the munching sounds might be able to be audibly forensically identifiable as Paul. Seriously!

The isolated crunching is included as a secret track on the Smile Sessions box set. None of the secret tracks have ever been on youtube though for some reason.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »

I wonder if SIP has a secret track of Mike flushing a toilet! Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 05:13:24 PM »

The isolated crunching is included as a secret track on the Smile Sessions box set. None of the secret tracks have ever been on youtube though for some reason.

Wow. I own the box set, but must confess to never having listened through to every last morsel in its entirety, and definitely wasn't looking for hidden tracks. Do you know what disc?
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »

Didn't we do a thread here a year or two ago with an article where Macca admitted that, yes, he did go to the studio back then and chew on some veggies?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »

Hadn't Paul chipped a front tooth and cut his lip recently, prompting him to grow his mustache?  That might affect his munching sounds - a split second when the tooth isn't making contact and then munch would increase in intensity once the rest of the tooth bit into the veggie.  Could be used to determine if he is on there.  We need a detailed audio and spectral analysis of the munch track.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 08:26:33 PM »

COMMENT:

More insight into McCartney and the Vega-Tables session from THE BEATLES UNIVERSITY

>>>  https://beatlesuniversity.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/paul-mccartney-and-brian-wilson-vegetables/

My favorite version of Vega-Tables can be found, with details and explanations, at my website -- page 3 -- Button "Vega-Tables"

~swd

http://swdstudyvideos.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:45:43 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 09:34:14 PM »

Wow. I own the box set, but must confess to never having listened through to every last morsel in its entirety, and definitely wasn't looking for hidden tracks. Do you know what disc?

Wikipedia says it's at the end of Disc Three, along with the isolated Workshop sounds. Plus, the isolated wood burning sounds from "Fire" is hidden at the end of Disc Four, while a tape rewind of "Good Vibrations" is at the end of Disc Five. I've only ever heard the burning wood track, at one point, I even considered buying the entire set just to hear those other three!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Silken
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:23 AM »

Didn't we do a thread here a year or two ago with an article where Macca admitted that, yes, he did go to the studio back then and chew on some veggies?
There's no discussion about it. What the OP wants to know if there are recordings of Paul chatter during those sessions.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »

Hadn't Paul chipped a front tooth and cut his lip recently, prompting him to grow his mustache?  That might affect his munching sounds - a split second when the tooth isn't making contact and then munch would increase in intensity once the rest of the tooth bit into the veggie.  Could be used to determine if he is on there.  We need a detailed audio and spectral analysis of the munch track.

Good observation, Columbo!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »

COMMENT:

More insight into McCartney and the Vega-Tables session from THE BEATLES UNIVERSITY

>>>  https://beatlesuniversity.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/paul-mccartney-and-brian-wilson-vegetables/

My favorite version of Vega-Tables can be found, with details and explanations, at my website -- page 3 -- Button "Vega-Tables"

~swd

http://swdstudyvideos.com

Great article! And I have visited your website before. Very insightful. I will have to visit it again soon.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »

There's no discussion about it. What the OP wants to know if there are recordings of Paul chatter during those sessions.
Oh I see. Duly noted.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx