gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:37:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike love at the Hall Of Fame  (Read 4454 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:47:14 PM »

I just wanted to get peoples thoughts on mike loves now famous rant at the show,

I gotta say, i loved it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 12:49:05 PM »

Mike Love is an idiot, and that is still more proof of it (as if we needed it). Fucking embarrassment.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 09:52:50 AM »

Compared to Mel Gibson's recent diatribe, this was a reasoned and civil acceptance speech.

Compared to reasoned and civil speech, it was the work of a self-centered, insecure-yet- egotistical sour-grape-swilling ingrate stuck in adolescent thought patterns.

I would have been happier if he'd name-thanked each one of his ex-wives for the inspiration they provided for his great song-writing efforts over the years.

It certainly drew more attention to the band......and it's said that "all publicity is good".
I'm sure that the Sirs-to-be Paul and Michael hardly noticed and if they did notice, laughed all the way to the bank.

Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 10:06:25 AM »

Mike Love is an idiot, and that is still more proof of it (as if we needed it). fodaing embarrassment.

. . .

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 10:14:45 AM by Leo K » Logged
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »

Mike Love is an idiot, and that is still more proof of it (as if we needed it). fodaing embarrassment.

sorry, but i don't agree with you  Sad

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »

lol! I loved it. Mike is a fool BUT he has GUTS... which I like.

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »

In truth what was Mike and the Beach Boys standing in business in 87 ? Not the greatest IMO. A touring Jukebox just like the Stones and McCartney but they chose to tour 3-5 yearly and probably made more money for it.
The line about the mop-tops was really bad. The Beatles had not only broken up and announced it as such but had lost a main member. No offence to Dennis but we are talking John Lennon here. The fact the Beatles had not toured for 20 years also seemed to have been noticed.
We have heard he had been fasting prior to the speech but he looked and spoke like a drunk.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 03:56:19 PM »

We have heard he had been fasting prior to the speech but he looked and spoke like a drunk.

He didn't look drunk, but he must of been on something to make such a fool out of himself. He's the Beach Boy that's so concerned about image, remember.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »

The line about the mop-tops was really bad. The Beatles had not only broken up and announced it as such but had lost a main member. No offence to Dennis but we are talking John Lennon here. The fact the Beatles had not toured for 20 years also seemed to have been noticed.

I thought Mike was referring to Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr AS INDIVIDUALS, not as The Beatles. But I agree that the term "mop-tops" was kinda sarcastic and not a wise choice, in addition to most of the speech. Not one of Mike's better ideas...Oddly enough, some of Mike's wishes came true at the end of the evening. During the "All Star Jam", Mike was up there singing with Mick Jagger, George Harrison, and The Boss.  
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »

The fact the Beatles had not toured for 20 years also seemed to have been noticed....

Sorry, that should have been UNnoticed.

The Beatles as individuals? Who knows. Paul of course was still going strong. George and Ringo not so much but by choice. Of course we now know Mike's attitude of him being the only original and still using the BB's name so in 87 I see no reason why he would not think Paul, George and Ringo plus a few hired hands, such as Billy Preston, could not still use the Beatles name.
I tend to think he was referring to the Stones infrequent (but wise IMO) tours.

And his "Hi" to Ali and subsequent gestures sure looked like a drunken jock to this veiwer.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 06:01:24 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 05:57:05 PM »

Watching this...it made me think of when rappers accept awards. Really funny considering Mike wears guady rings and...honestly...Mike's gangsta. His bling brings all the wives to the yard. yah mean.

Cheesy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 10:06:17 PM »

Watching this...it made me think of when rappers accept awards. Really funny considering Mike wears guady rings and...honestly...Mike's gangsta. His bling brings all the wives to the yard. yah mean.

Cheesy

Thats it!  Yeah. Mike is cool.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 11:09:35 PM »

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 04:45:22 AM »

I love Bob Dylan for pointing out Mike's stupidity at his speech. BTW who introducted the Beach Boys?  Seeing Mike and Jagger at the jam afterwards is....well, I don't know the right word....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2006, 05:17:14 AM »

BTW who introducted the Beach Boys? 

Elton John
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2006, 05:26:26 AM »

Mike was trying to be a Rock n Roll rebel, he was doing a pretty good job for a little while, but he went on waaaaay too long with this speech.  He wanted to look like a bad a** he should have tossed a few barbs then left before the orchestra had to drown him out so he would leave.  Someone must have made fun of them or something before they went up to the podium and it got his hackles up.

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2006, 04:31:25 PM »

Didja notice some people were still cheering?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

Someone must have made fun of them or something before they went up to the podium and it got his hackles up.

Maybe, but I think Mike's speech was planned; it was too long and comprehensive to be off the cuff. I think you're close, though, carlydenise.

Look at the giants who were inducted that evening - Bob Dylan, The Beatles, and The Beach Boys. It doesn't get much bigger than that. And of those three giants, guess who took the back seat - again. At least that's what I believe Mike Love thought. And I think he wanted to do something about that, and make sure they/he got more attention. And, boy, he took care of that! Not that he didn't believe everything he said, I just feel it was attention-seeking.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2006, 05:37:08 PM »

But he was right,That's the whole point,

McCartney was being a dick, not showing up with his mates for one night, Because a few lawsuits,

And that 'Ms Ross'  Cheesy, well she was being an ass two,

But a lot of people agreed with him, hence the clapping.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »

Mike went on too long but I think he made a few good points about Ross and McCartney. I have never liked Paul quite as much after that day. Mike was a jerk about the Stones and Billy Joel etc etc though.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 05:34:08 AM »

Mike went on too long but I think he made a few good points about Ross and McCartney. I have never liked Paul quite as much after that day. Mike was a jerk about the Stones and Billy Joel etc etc though.

Exactly, he made a few good points and then totally went off the deep end with the Stones, Billy Joel, and didn't he mention something about Springsteen?  Give me a break!  I don't love the boss half as much as the Beach Boys but Bruce's live show is something to behold.  Nobody does it like that guy live.  And the Stones may be a traveling Jukebox as well now playing the old hits but their live show destroys what Mike has turned the Beach Boys name into.  Dylan totally owned Mike in his acceptance speech.  Mr. Peace, love and meditation got brought down a few notches.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:44:42 AM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 12:19:24 PM »

His speech reminded me of a lyric he might be familiar with

When some loud braggart tries to put me down
and say his band (school) is great
I tell 'im whatsamatter buddy aint you heard-a my band (school)
we're number one in the charts (state)

So be true to your FOOL.    Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx