-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:57:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Comparing the Beach Boys and the Marx Brothers
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Comparing the Beach Boys and the Marx Brothers  (Read 3480 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:08:32 AM »

These are really the only 2 performing groups I have nerded out about. I was thinking about the personalities of the Marx Brothers. Chico is a mixture of charm and addictive behavior. I thought he was the Dennis of the group. Groucho, a great performer, and wittiest, but also the most pessimistic and depressed in real life, would be like Groucho. Though I can see Mike Love in there as well. How he always performs confidently on stage, but a bit shy and aloof off stage. Also paranoid about the business aspect of things. Or Mike could be Harpo. The happiest persona in the group. I can't really compare Carl to anyone.  I quiet leader type.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:14:17 AM »

David Marks is like Zeppo, having quit after the first five. And Murray is Margaret Dumont. Haha! I don't know.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 03:08:34 AM »

Being a "MARXist" myself , I would say that Bruce's wonderful  Marx Bros-tribute "Brand New Old Friends" could easily be re-texted as a Wilson Bros-ditto(?) and should be re-recorded as such by the surviving Beach Boys altogether as one final project(?)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:42:30 AM by >PapaLaPap< » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »

Being a "MARXist" myself , I would say that Bruce's wonderful  Marx Bros-tribute "Brand New Old Friends" could easily be re-texted as a Wilson Bros-ditto(?) and should be re-recorded as such by the surviving Beach Boys altogether as one final project(?)

Haha! I also note a Brian Wilson 1974 interview on an Australian radio interview. There is a moment that Brian was staring at a photo, and the host told him that it was Groucho. Brian said, 'hi Groucho!'. This always makes me smile.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: