gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:07:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unreleased Songs Masterlist: Material to expect from further archival releases  (Read 49089 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »

Still waiting for that Live Box. For a band that did so many concerts, the lack of live material released is criminal. Some of it is trickling out now on the MIC box and Sunshine Tomorrow, but still so much out there.  I would love one of the concerts from the summer of 76.

How bout the earlier 70's stuff, with Blondie & Ricky?  Carl was so tough, (no pun), on the earlier recordings for the In Concert album.  And then, in true Beach Boy fashion, they totally blew it, and released an album that didn't feel like a live concert at all.  Well, maybe didn't totally blow it, cause there are some great tracks on there, but it doesn't have the flow that anyone who was there witnessed
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:14 PM »

According to the new copy of Endless Summer Quarterly, the end of year copyright extension release will be: "Sunshine Tomorrow 2 - 29 additional tracks from the Smiley Smile sessions, the Lei'd in Hawaii Wally Heider Studio sessions, and the Wild Honey sessions, including the unreleased "Good News"
Live Sunshine - 109 performances from 7 shows in 5 states during the 1967 tour"

Sounds amazing! Plus, the release of "Good News", previously thought to be unreleasable. And all those live tracks too..... they need to better manage the release of these things, especially when it comes to all the amazing music the band didn't put out during their artistic period post-Pet Sounds, stuff that music fans could totally be interested in.
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »

Still no word on the 2018 copyright releases, which I think we've all realized is due to the promotion of the Philharmonic album (which is honestly not for me, the whole point of Brian's work was his complex and groundbreaking arrangements, how could you top that?). But it's interesting that Brian's official facebook page posted this yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/posts/10157271726357241

It's the "Walk On By" cover released on the CD twofers way back when, but seeing as that song is still not available digitally, they instead posted the superb and beautiful edit done by steel7866, which I'm not sure if they post here, but if so, huge congrats dude! The official page of the man himself endorsed your mix, couldn't think of a more higher compliment.

So considering this was recorded in 1968, could this mean a possible release on streaming services of the originally released of the 55 second version, and maybe because of the popularity of the extended mix (90,000 views for a fan edit of an unknown cover is pretty damn good), maybe an officially edited version by Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd to make it extended? It's such an amazing piece of unfinished music that I don't mind it looping again and again.
Til...I...@died
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 02:49:37 PM »

Gotta hear Til I Die piano demo
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 10:02:17 PM »

That’s on my must hear list

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »

That, and the one with alternate lyrics.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2018, 05:08:07 AM »

Still no word on the 2018 copyright releases, which I think we've all realized is due to the promotion of the Philharmonic album (which is honestly not for me, the whole point of Brian's work was his complex and groundbreaking arrangements, how could you top that?). But it's interesting that Brian's official facebook page posted this yesterday: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/posts/10157271726357241

It's the "Walk On By" cover released on the CD twofers way back when, but seeing as that song is still not available digitally, they instead posted the superb and beautiful edit done by steel7866, which I'm not sure if they post here, but if so, huge congrats dude! The official page of the man himself endorsed your mix, couldn't think of a more higher compliment.

So considering this was recorded in 1968, could this mean a possible release on streaming services of the originally released of the 55 second version, and maybe because of the popularity of the extended mix (90,000 views for a fan edit of an unknown cover is pretty damn good), maybe an officially edited version by Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd to make it extended? It's such an amazing piece of unfinished music that I don't mind it looping again and again.

That's my mix. Holy sh*t! Thanks for the heads up - that made my day.
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

No problem, man! It's more than well deserved, your mixes rule. Especially love the "Our Sweet Love" version with extra Brian vocals, it's the only version of the song I listen to now.
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »

Updated to include much more bootlegged and non-bootlegged material, including the rest of the 80's and 90's. A staggering amount of songs, and just goes to show that even with the pool of unheard Beach Boys songs is shrinking every year, there is still an entire catalogue worth of bootlegged music that is crying out to be released.

Does anybody have a year in particular they're looking forward to? 1972 seems like a creatively fertile time for the group, can't wait to hear what's in store for that one. The Love You era also holds a special place in my heart, hearing alternate versions of those songs and those charming piano demos in studio quality would be a dream.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 11:41:42 PM »

So overall this is pretty darn good, but I think I'd lose some of the opinionated commentary, and there are also a few facts that you've gotten wrong. Also, CD is digital, so when you're saying something isn't available digitally, perhaps you should say "it's not available for purchase on iTunes, Amazon, etc.”

I'm going to post a few of things that in my opinion should be changed. Also, in addition to those changes, I think it would make sense to remove things like "single mixes" becuz obviously they have already been released.

-"What'd I Say" (live): only released without Beach Boys authorization on an Australian Beach Boys comp if memory serves. I honestly can't believe this never got re-released just based on the fact that it's a good version of a song otherwise unavailable by The Beach Boys at one of their career high points. Seems like an obvious box set inclusion to me.

1966 - SMiLE era

- "Child Is Father Of The Man" (Brian's full mono instrumental mix): self explanatory.

- "Barnyard" (backing track w/ background vocals): somehow omitted from The SMiLE Sessions

1968 - Friends, early 20/20 era

- early 70's Friends remakes; "Passing By", "Wake the World", "Be Still" and "Friends": Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer worked with Brian on these rerecordings, never circulated (perhaps this belongs in 1971 or 1972)

1972 - Carl & the Passions "So Tough", Holland era

- "California Saga: On My Way Sunny Cali-for-nia" (single mix): Released in 1973 as a single! Ergo the single mix. Available on CD on both the UK Ten years of Harmony and Greatest Hits Vol. 3 or whatever it's calleder it's called. Truthfully shouldn't be on list as it's been released.[/b]

- "Cuddle Up" (single mix): rare, but booted (Perhaps not necessary as it's already been released, though it's rarity does merit inclusion perhaps

1975 - early "Brian Is Back" era

- "Come to the Sunshine": Brian's cover of a Van Dyke Parks song, supposed to be lost

- "Carl's Song": unbooted early version of "Angel Come Home"

- "Grateful We Are for Little Children": unbooted early version of "Saturday Morning in the City"

- "In the Back of My Mind" (piano demo): still don't think this exists for sale through iTunes or the like, was a bonus track for the Target release of No Pier Pressure I believe. A beautiful and revealing version with altered lyrics by Brian and features him prominently switching between his more coarse 15 Big Ones voice with the soaring falsetto from his younger voice

1976 - 15 Big Ones, Love You era

- "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", "Mony Mony", "Rock & Roll Music" ("hot" mix) one suspects that the version on Made In California is at least a re-creation of this verion, "Come Go With Me" (original mix), "Ruby Baby", "Short Skirts", "Running Bear", "10,000 Years Ago", "On Broadway", "Sea Cruise", "We Gotta Groove", "Marilyn Rovell", "Lazy Lizzie", "Hey There Momma", "Let Us Go On This Way" (a capella mix): booted

- "Don't Fight the Sea": unbooted, I assume an early version of the Al song he tried to include on That's Why God Made the Radio? Not true. He offered "Waves of Love" for TWGMTR. He did however, release "Don't Fight the Sea" on his solo album, A Postcard from California. The song featured Brian, Mike, Carl and Bruce, effectively making a Beach Boys track in all but name

- "It's Like Heaven": booted. Recorded with Brian and Marilyn on vocals, I assume it predates the American Spring version (Where on earth have you heard a version with Brian and Marilyn on vocals? I need to hear this

1978 - M.I.U. and Bambu era

- "I'm Begging You Please": Brian demo, much better than almost any of his other original songs released from this year (Really? If we are counting songs that he worked on or reviewed for use in '78, I think "Good Timin'" and "California Feelin'" both rank high above this one

- "California Feelin'" (original mix): more synthy and without Brian (lead) vocals

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive and beyond

- "Be My Baby", "Smokey Places", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Greenback Dollar": covers with Brian involvement. Only the first two are booted ("Smokey Places" is booted?

- "Be My Baby",  "River Deep, Mountain High", "Greenback Dollar": covers with Brian involvement.

-"I'm A Man" also recorded. New BW song, not the classic Spencer Davis tune.

1986 - Made in U.S.A. era

-"Wouldn't That Be Cool": a Brian Wilson original, per Alan Boyd. Attempted during Made in U.S.A sessions. Apparently shares similarities with American Spring's "Do Ya" (also co-written by BW)

2012 - That's Why God Made The Radio era

-"I'd Go Anywhere": another Brian track, apparently was at some point part of the "suite"
-"She Believes in Love Again": new version Bruce's tune from the 1985 album
-"Waves of Love": if it was even worked on? Who knows if the Beach Boys (outside of Carl and Al) ever touched it
-supposedly there were like 29 tracks overall recorded for this album. Whether or not any ended up on No Pier Pressure is another question though

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:07:29 PM by Jim V. » Logged
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 04:29:03 AM »

selteab needs a call from the 'powers that be' to help with some nob twiddling and copy paste marlarky....
DeanEntwistle
Smiley Smile Associate

Hey! https://soundcloud.com/deanentwistletwo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2020, 01:40:57 PM »

With explosion of high-quality unreleased songs found on the Sunshine Tomorrow compilation, including several names that had been floating around for awhile but never booted like "Game of Love" and "Honey Get Home", I was curious to see if we can come up with a basic idea for what tracks we can hope will finally be unleashed upon people's ears. This is all assuming that Brother Records continues their yearly release cycle of copyright extension albums, which they show no sign of slowing down with.

I've combined the likes of the "Vaults" page (http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/vaults.html) (also found here in more readable form: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unreleased_songs_recorded_by_the_Beach_Boys), the Proposed Brother Bonus Tracks thread (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17621.0.html, and my own personal collection of bootlegs to give a good idea of what exactly is still out there and if it will ever see the light of day. Of course, we have no way of knowing if any of this was releasable at all, and I trust Mark Linnett and Alan Boyd more than enough now to know they wouldn't leave off anything truly juicy when it comes to these annual compilations.

1967 - SMiLE, Smiley Smile, Lei'd In Hawaii, Wild Honey era

- "On Top of Old Smoky": the most intriguing song left off Sunshine Tomorrow, this apparently features Brian and Paul McCartney on vocals. Hard to believe this was actually the case, since a recording like that would be insanely sought after by Beatle and Beach Boys fans alike. It could be made up, or a big fat disappointment like the jam Paul and John Lennon had in 1974 that turned out be a whole lotta nothing. Still, the mystery lives on

- "Sunflower Maiden": Brian and Van Dyke Parks song written for Three Dog Night. Apparently lost

- Lei'd In Hawaii studio rehearsal sessions; "Surfin'", "God Only Knows", "Good Vibrations", "California Girls", "Surfer Girl": Brian running through some of the songs they would play live on an organ with his faint vocals heard in the background. Not extremely necessary, but I certainly enjoy putting them on sometimes, if not just to Brian play all of "Good Vibrations" on an organ

- backing tracks to; "Gettin' Hungry", "She's Goin' Bald", "Wind Chimes" (Smiley version), "Vegetables" (Smiley version): booted

- SMiLE backing tracks: booted, should already have been released years ago

1968 - Friends, early 20/20 era

- "Friends" (alternate mix): booted

- 1971 Friends remakes; "Passing By", "Wake the World", "Be Still" and "Friends": Stanley Shapiro and Tandyn Almer worked with Brian on these rerecordings. Only "Passing By" with lyrics has been released, the others are assumed to have been lost, especially considering that "Passing By" was sourced from a low-quality backup cassette

- "Fig Plucker": Dennis leading some of the group through a tongue-twister about a fig plucker

- backing tracks to; "Meant for You", "Wake the World", "We're Together Again": booted

1969 - 20/20, early Sunflower era

- "Harmony Friends" - name of the soaring vocal-only coda to "Break Away" booted as a standalone 2 minute track, a treat for the ears

- "What Can the Matter Be" and "Raspberries, Strawberries": unreleased to my knowledge

- "I'm Going Your Way (California Slide)": available on boots, not a bad track but missing any backing vocals

- "'Til I Die" (piano demo) - the holy grail of unheard Beach Boys songs. I have to hear this in my lifetime, this much I know

- "(Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again" (demo): anything related to this song must be released ASAP

- "America, I Know You" (backing track): unbooted collaboration with Stephen Kalinich

1970 - Sunflower era

- "This Whole World" (alternate vocals/long version): please release this

- "Big Sur" (4/4 version): beautiful

- "Take A Load Off Your Feet, Pete" (original mix), "Add Some Music to Your Day" (original lyrics), "Tears In the Morning" (original lyrics), "When Girls Get Together" (both original mix and original instrumental track), "Loop de Loop" (original mix), "Our Sweet Love" (backing track with Brian vocals), "Slip on Through" (backing track), "It's About Time" (percussion mix with some dazzling bongo playing), "Lady" (original mix): booted

- Fred Vail country album: a country album produced by Brian that has not been booted, tracks included; "Bethany Ann", "There's Always Something There To Remind Me", "Kittens, Kids & Kites, "Lucky Billy", "Black Man In Georgia", "One Woman Won't Hold Me", "Why Don't You Give Her To Me", "If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living", "All For The Love Of A Girl", "Only The Lonely", "Carolina On My  Mind", "My Way Of Life", "A Fool Such As I", "You Pass Me By", "I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You"

- "Our Sweet Love" (piano demo), "Back Home" (demo), "Good Time" (original mix), "I Just Got My Pay" (original mix) - unbooted

- "You Never Give Me Your Money": unbooted jam after a session for "Good Time"

- "Carnival", "My Solution", and "Seasons in the Sun" are booted and worthy of being put out there, especially "Carnival" for all of it's channel-swapping charm and "My Solution" for that Halloween novelty weirdness. "Seasons in the Sun" doesn't work all that great with the Boys IMO

1971 - Surf's Up, early Carl & the Passions era

- "Lookin' At Tomorrow" (alternate mix), "Wouldn't It Be Nice (To Live Again) (extended mix), "'Til I Die" (alternate "uplifting" lyrics ), "4th of July" (original mix and alternate version), "Barnyard Blues" (demo): criminally unavailable

- "'Til I Die" (a capella) and "Surf's Up" (a capella): booted

-"This Whole World" (version done for an Eastern Airlines ad) and "H.E.L.P. Is on the Way" (early mix): unbooted

- "Ol' Movie": unbooted early version of "Cuddle Up"

- Dennis Wilson solo album sessions (known as Poops or Hubba Hubba); "Behold the Night", "Baby, Baby", "Sea Cruise", "It's a New Day" (the only song booted, was eventually finished with Blondie lead vocal)

- "Telephone Backgrounds (On A Clear Day)": unbooted Carl song

- "Hawaii Song": intriguing because I haven't heard anything about it

- "Happy Birthday Brian (29th Birthday)": sounds like a fun recording

- "Won't You Tell Me": real nice little duet between Brian and Carl. Hope it sees the light of day

- "Beatrice From Baltimore": early version of "You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone", unbooted. Would love to hear

- "I've Got A Friend": Dennis song played live in the early 70's (introduced by Mike Love as "one of the best songs I've ever heard"), apparently recorded in the studio without a vocal

- "Sail On, Sailor" (demo): I hope the location of this is accounted for

1972 - Carl & the Passions "So Tough", Holland era

- "Awake" (piano demo): one of the great Brian vocals from the era, a crystal clear sounding bootleg. There's also a high quality demo of "Ten Years Harmony", the original version of "Endless Harmony" floating around there

- "Daddy Dear", "Susie Cincinnati", "Fairy Tale Music" (with narration by Brian): piano demos played by Brian to somebody in Holland, the first two are both brief but worth release for showcasing some nice Brian vocals before the 15 Big Ones era, "Fairy Tale Music" may be from a different time Brian was playing his songs on the piano for a guest

- "Burlesque": Brian and Jack Riely song, Jack said in an interview that a line of lyric in it is "Tantalation and hot glowing skin/Sun’s ‘bout to rest"

- "Funky Fever" and "Gimme Some Lovin'": unbooted songs recorded by Brian and David Sandler

- "Quad Symphony": any sort of edit or sections of this would be welcome to hear in better condition than the boots it's on

- "Spark In the Dark", "Body Talk", "Is Jack Reilly Superman?", "Rooftop Harry", "Slow Song": all sound quite intriguing

- "Out in the Country": booted in a somewhat skeletal form, as a more finished version with banjos and other instrumentation has been said to exist. The booted version works quite well on it's own I think, a bit like a more moody "Meant for You"

- "Hard Times": booted Ricky & Blondie song. Not their best, but completely worthy of becoming available

- "Carry Me Home": what I would call the most sought after unreleased recording that has been booted, fans have an emotional connection to this song that I have not seen with any other bootlegged material

- "California Saga: On My Way Sunny Cali-for-nia" (single mix): booted. With a bit more Brian vocals

- "The Trader" (early mix): unbooted shorter version, seems like it's just the first part of the song

- "Fairy Tale Music/A Casual Look" (demo version), "I'm the Pied Piper" (extended version), "Pa, Let Her Go Out" (early version of "Better Get Back In Bed"): unbooted. Love the music in the fairy tale, would be very interested to hear any of this

- "Cuddle Up" (single mix): rare, but booted

- "California Saga" (1974 live version with sitar): booted, might only exist as an audience recording

1973 - Holland and beyond

- "River Song" (original mix): booted. Recorded with the Beach Boys, seems the backing track was kept for Dennis' solo version

- "Dr. Tom" and "Canyon Summer": unbooted Al songs

- "Baby, I Need Your Lovin'/I'm a Man": unbooted medley from a Wilson/Sandler session

- "Ding Dang" and "Shortenin' Bread" (American Spring version): both unbooted, the beginning of the period where Brian recorded that same Shortenin' riff many times

- "Pattycake": unbooted (may have been lost). About a gorilla that Brian saw at the Bronx zoo

1974 - Caribou Sessions era

- "Honeycomb": unbooted cover recorded during the same session as "It's OK", also featuring Roy Wood of ELO and Wizzard on saxophone

- Carl demos: unbooted Moog and guitar demos

- "Shortenin' Bread"/"Clangin'": unsure if this is a version we've heard or not, referred to as "Brian's Jam" because it's a riff he's recorded many times throughout his career

- "Dennis' Symphony": unbooted early version of "Friday Night"

- "Just An Imitation": still hasn't been found

- Caribou sessions; "Good Timin'" (original track and lead vocal as well the instrumental version with horn section), "Ding Dang", "Is This Really Love", "Why Don't You Try Me?", "Rollin' Up to Heaven", "Earthquake Time", "You're Riding High On the Music", "Don't Let Me Go", "Our Live, Our Love, Our Land": only "Rollin' Up to Heaven" and both versions of "Good Timin'" circulate

- "Battle Hymn of the Republic": the less said about this, the better

- "Child of Winter": unbooted alternate mix with Carl and Dennis vocals

1975 - early "Brian Is Back" era

- "Come to the Sunshine": Brian's cover of a Van Dyke Parks song, supposed to be lost

- "Carl's Song": early version of "Angel Come Home", may be booted as an instrumental

- "Grateful We Are for Little Children": unbooted early version of "Saturday Morning in the City"

- "In the Back of My Mind" (piano demo): still don't think this exists digitally, was a bonus track for the Target release of No Pier Pressure I believe. A beautiful and revealing version with altered lyrics by Brian and features him prominently switching between his more coarse 15 Big Ones voice with the soaring falsetto from his younger voice

- unbooted Dennis Wilson songs; "Rainbows" (early version), "Slow Blues", "Don't Want Much, Just A Country Or Two, Maybe A Planet Before It's Through", "Helen Keller", "Our Love Remains", "Marble Sittin' On A Kitchen Table"

1976 - 15 Big Ones, Love You era

- "Michael Row the Boat Ashore", "Mony Mony", "Rock & Roll Music" ("hot" mix), "Come Go With Me" (original mix), "Ruby Baby", "Short Skirts", "Running Bear", "10,000 Years Ago", "On Broadway", "Sea Cruise", "We Gotta Groove", "Marilyn Rovell", "Lazy Lizzie", "Hey There Momma", "Let Us Go On This Way" (a capella mix): booted

- "Don't Fight the Sea": unbooted, I assume an early version of the Al song he tried to include on That's Why God Made the Radio?

- unbooted Dennis songs; - "Life Symphony", "Flowers Come In the Spring" (might be a remake of "Fallin' In Love"), "I Didn't Mean to Make You Worry", "Taking Off", "2,000 Years Ago" (possibly just a misnamed "10,000 Years Ago"), "String Thing 2", "Long String Song" (lotta "String" songs from Dennis around this time)

- "It's Like Heaven": booted. Recorded with Brian and Marilyn on vocals, I assume it predates the American Spring version

- "Just Once In My Life" (backing track): one of the absolute highlights of all bootlegs I've heard

- "Let's Dance", "Secret Love", and "Working in the Coal Mine": unheard covers

- "When Girls Get Together" (15 Big Ones mix): unknown what this version is like

- "TM Song" (alternate mix with long intro and no lead vocals), "Lisa", "Gold Rush": not booted

- Love You piano demos; "That Special Feeling", "Airplane", "Mona", "I'll Bet He's Nice", "It's Over Now", "Still I Dream of It", "Let's Put Our Hearts Together", "Love Is A Woman", "Little Children": booted and very much worthy of release (worth noting that Brian's official instagram page has posted some minute long excerpts of these that are cleaner sounding than the boots that circulate but unfortunately the audio isn't preferable since the video is a recording of the song being played out of speakers rather than inserting the actual mp3)

1977 - Love You, Pacific Ocean Blue, and early M.I.U. era

- "The Night Was So Young" (early mix), "Love Is A Woman" (early mix with Al lead vocal), "Johnny Carson" (early mix with guitar intro), "Roller Skating Child" (early mix with different vocals), "I'll Bet He's Nice" (early mix), "Solar System" (early mix with no background vocals), "Clangin'", "11th Bar Blues": never booted

- "Honkin' Down the Highway" (alternate version with Billy Hinsche lead vocal and synth solo): booted

- Adult/Child sessions, booted; "Life Is for the Living" (studio version and backing track), "Lines" (also exists an early mix with different Brian vocal), "Everybody Wants to Live", "It's Trying to Say (Baseball)", "Deep Purple", "My Diane" (original mix without string section and demo mix), "Shortenin' Bread" (original mix), "New England Waltz", "Still I Dream of It" (alternate rougher Brian vocal)

- "Oh Darling", "Something New", "Crying", "Fever", "Here Comes the Sun": unbooted Dennis songs

- "Gimme Some Lovin'": unbooted, possibly same song as recorded in '72?

- "Mike Come Back to L.A.": any edit or rough version would be welcome, very fun and energetic track

- "How's About A Little Bit of Your Sweet Lovin'?", "Go and Get That Girl", "Beach Burlesque", "Egypt": the last two are unheard

- "Lady Lynda" (original mix): more superior version in my mind, lacks the classical music intro and the plasticky sound that Bruce Johnston productions have

- Merry Christmas From The Beach Boys sessions; "Christmas Medley" (an excellent medley of Christmas songs with the band and their children, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "O Come All Ye Faithful", "Hark The Herald Angels Sing", and "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"), "Santa Is on His Way" (rerecording of "H.E.L.P. Is on the Way"), "Alone on Christmas Day", "Sad, Sad Christmas": no boot has "Sad, Sad Christmas", but it's the original version of "Sad, Sad Summer" so it probably isn't too different from that

- "Pacific Ocean Blue" (backing track): booted

- rehearsals for Dennis Wilson solo tour: according to Ed Roach, there is some beautiful stuff here that people have heard. Seems like it absolutely deserves uncovering

1978 - M.I.U. and Bambu era

- "Rubles", "Ride Arabian, Ride": unbooted Al songs

- "Santa Ana Winds" (original version and an alternate mix with more instrumentation and double-tracked vocals) and "Lookin' Down the Coast": two great works by Al with Brian, especially the original version of "Santa Ana Winds" with different lyrics, grander instrumentation, and lacking the very unnecessary spoken word intro, allegedly with Brian on harmonica

- "I'm Begging You Please": Brian demo, much better than almost any of his other original songs released from this year

- "Where We Are (It Could Be Anything)": early version of a Carl song, a nice listen

- "California Feelin'" (original mix): more synthy and without Brian vocals

- "Drip Drop": booted cover by Brian, although maybe not worth release for how off Brian sounds

- "Calendar Girl": booted cover with Mike on lead vocal with Brian singing the intro and providing backing vocals

- "I Really Love You", "Basketball Rock", "Bowling": unbooted. Last two are Brian instrumentals

- booted outtakes from Bambu; "Constant Companion" (extended alternate mix without backing vocals that is frankly far superior), "Baby Blue" (rough mix with no Dennis vocal) "Time for Bed" (backing track), "He's A Bum" (backing track), "Wild Situation" (backing track with backing vocals), "Love Surrounds Me" (backing track), "All Alone" (demo mix)

- and unbooted Bambu; "I Don't Want to Go" and "Let Me Out of Here"

1979 - L.A., Keepin' the Summer Alive era

- "Little Girl", "Jamaica Farewell", "Stranded In the Jungle", "Johnny B. Goode", "Smokey Places", "I'll Always Love You": covers recorded with Brian involvement, only the first song is booted in unfinished form

- "Boys and Girls": unbooted Brian song

1980 - Keepin' the Summer Alive and beyond

- "Oh Darlin'" (original version): features Brian on lead vocal with prominent Carl vocals, alternate lyrics, and a much less busy backing track, I prefer this one 1000x more than the studio version which is harmed by Bruce's overblown production

- "Goin' On" (original backing track): neat version with some charged-up drum solos not in the studio version

- "Be My Baby", "River Deep, Mountain High", "Smokey Places", "Greenback Dollar": covers with Brian involvement. Only the first two are booted

- "My Solution" and "Shortenin' Bread": booted instrumentals by Brian, possibly booted as "Song Within a Song"

- "Can't Wait Too Long": unbooted. Overdubs were attempted by the group

- "Fly", "Up Again", "Candlesticks", "I'm a Man": unbooted

- Dennis Wilson and Christie McVie sessions: unbooted

- "Stevie": Brian/Dennis collaboration, possibly written by Brian with production by Dennis. Baffling why it hasn't been released, sounds so damn good and finished enough to put out there

- "I Ran (All the Way Home)": unbooted

- "Rings", "Walking On Water", "Sweetie": charming Brian piano demos

- Cocaine Sessions material: "Why Don't You Tell Me Why (You've Been Good to Me)", "I Feel So Fine", "Oh Lord", "City Blues", "Heroes and Villains", "I Said A Prayer" (early demo of "This Isn't Love"): been circulating for many many years, being repeatedly taken off Youtube whenever it is discovered there

- "Cry Like a Baby" and two other untitled songs: ubooted Brian songs

- "Labor Day": reported to be Dennis' final studio recording, unheard but hopefully out there

- Brian and Carl sessions: unbooted. Unknown what these were like, need to get my hands on this

- Carl demo sessions: unbooted

- "Turning Point", "Black Widow" (piano demo), "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel" (piano demo), "The First Time" (demo mix): booted

- "It's Just a Matter of Time": a live version with Brian on lead vocals, he sounds quite good I have to say

1984 - The Beach Boys (self-titled album) era

- "Getcha Back" (alternate extended mix), "She Believes In Love Again" (alternate mix), "California Calling" (Al lead vocal): booted

- "Down By the Pier", "And I Always Will", "Buzz-Buzz-Buzz", "At the Hop": covers, only "At the Hop" is booted, and it might be better off kept in the vault

- "Oh Lord": unbooted. Apparently the group attempted a recording of Brian's song that he demoed in the Cocaine Sessions

- "Water Builds Up": unbooted. A song Brian later recorded on his own for the Sweet Insanity album

1986 - Wilson Project era

- "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" (alternate extended mix) and "California Dreamin'" (alternate version): booted

- "Spirit of Rock and Roll": unbooted version with the Beach Boys

- Wilson Project recordings: Brian's first serious work on a solo album done with Gary Usher and under the watchful eye of Dr. Landy. Here is what's booted; "Christine" (and it's other version "Barbie", made for Mattel), "Doing Time on Planet Earth" (early version of "Being With the One You Love" made for a movie of the same title), "He Couldn't Get His Poor Old Body to Move" (early version with more Brian-y lyrics before Lindsay Buckingham came in to collaborate), "Heavenly Lovers", "Heavenly Bodies", "Christmas Time", "Just Say No"

- and what is unbooted from those sessions; "I'm Broke" (early version of Paley era song), "So Long", "I'm Tired", "A Little Love", "Magic", "All Over Me", "Still I Dream of You" (possibly a rerecording of "Still I Dream of It"?), "Magnetic Attraction"

1987 - Brian Wilson solo album era

- "Let's Do It Again", "Spirit of Rock and Roll" (solo version), "Saturday Morning in the City" (early version); booted

- "I Feel This Love", "Saturday Evening in the City" (I would guess a companion piece to "Saturday Morning"), "Terri, She Needs Me" (yet another rewrite of "Sherry She Needs Me"?), "Boogie Woogie Beat": unbooted

- "Hotter", "Love Ya", "God Only Knows" (live), "I Sleep Alone", "Love and Mercy" (backing track and backing vocals): booted

1990 - Sweet Insanity era

- Sweet Insanity sessions, booted; "Brian (Thank You)", "Do You Have Any Regrets?", "Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel", "Let's Stick Together", "Rainbow Eyes", "Make a Wish" (original mix and backing track), "Concert Tonight" (plus the extended mix), "Someone to Love", "Spirit of Rock and Roll" (yet another mix), "Smart Girls", "Water Builds Up" (original mix and backing track)

1992 - start of Paley Sessions era

- Paley Sessions: a treasure trove of fantastic material from Brian, a good amount has been bootlegged in varying quality but much is still disappointingly unreleased. Here is what circulates; "Proud Mary" (Carl was present for at least some of this recording) and "I'm Broke"

- "God Did It" and "Chain Reaction of Love": booted

- "Saturday Morning in the City", "Goin' Home" (original version), "It's Not Easy Bein' Me", "Desert Drive" (original mix), "Elbow '63": booted

- "Off My Chest" and a few untitled songs: unbooted

- "Dancin' the Night Away", "Mary Ann", "Marketplace", "Must Be a Miracle", "You're Still a Mystery" (original version with earlier Brian vocal than the released version): booted

- "Grace of My Heart", "I'm Psyched", "Turn On Your Love Light": unbooted

Let's hope we won't have to wait until the early 2040's for an official release for all of the Paley session material

Since there really is STILL so much Beach Boys content out there waiting to be heard, my hope is they could group together a lot of the truly memorable unreleased songs and put them on a rarities collection that could drum up more interest in the band's more obscure periods without making prospective fans have to remember to buy/stream one of these collections every single year for the foreseeable future.
well, this list is so complete (well, some songs are missing) but yeah, let's revive this not-that old topic as some stuff on the list are now available and some will be available in some months with the release of the Feel Flows box set
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 09:09:29 AM »

I've edited and updated this with some much needed help from Beach Boys scholars, this has to be the most researched and vetted list of unreleased + bootlegged songs out there. Enjoy

Hopefully a lot of these will need to be removed once the Feel Flows boxset comes out, should be any day now, right?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 11:24:43 PM »

Pinned this for now. Trying to set up a subforum for viral threads like this but having issues. Still working on it...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Unreconstructed Wilsonite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 12:38:05 AM »

Would love to see Adult/Child finally get an official release - given that it's now been 40+ years and as far as I know was more or less completed. The original "Big Sur", "Carry Me Home" and "Hard Times" would all be very worthy releases as well
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2020, 05:28:27 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but is there talk of the 2nd Flame album ever seeing the light of day?
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 11:33:34 AM »

Produced by desper and he has tried to get it released in the past
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2020, 10:07:50 AM »

I don't know the likelihood of seeing new releases on material more than 50 years old, but below is my dream list. I know some of this will be released on Feel Flows, but I'm hoping the rest will surface someday.

-Please Let Me Wonder backing track
-Please Let Me Wonder a cappella
-Kiss Me Baby backing track
-The Little Girl I Once Knew unedited sessions
-The Little Girl I Once Knew backing track
-All unedited Pet Sounds tracking sessions
-All Pet Sounds multi tracks
-We're Together Again backing track for original twofer version
-All I Wanna Do a cappella
-All I Wanna Do backing track
-Our Sweet Love backing track
-At My Window a cappella
-At My Window backing track
-Cool Cool Water backing track
-All Cool Cool Water vocal sessions (a la Stephen Desper's fascinating and sorely missed study video)
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:46 PM »

I don't know the likelihood of seeing new releases on material more than 50 years old, but below is my dream list. I know some of this will be released on Feel Flows, but I'm hoping the rest will surface someday.

-Please Let Me Wonder backing track
-Please Let Me Wonder a cappella
-Kiss Me Baby backing track
-The Little Girl I Once Knew unedited sessions
-The Little Girl I Once Knew backing track
-All unedited Pet Sounds tracking sessions
-All Pet Sounds multi tracks
-We're Together Again backing track for original twofer version
-All I Wanna Do a cappella
-All I Wanna Do backing track
-Our Sweet Love backing track
-At My Window a cappella
-At My Window backing track
-Cool Cool Water backing track
-All Cool Cool Water vocal sessions (a la Stephen Desper's fascinating and sorely missed study video)

Is the TLGIOK backing track even possible? From what I recall it was partially taped over with that "psychedelic talk" tape.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2021, 03:02:56 PM »

Can anyone describe the differences between the Eastern Airlines ad version of This Whole World and the stock version?
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.

One of my biggest regrets from visiting John Hanlon & Jon Stebbins in the studio for the mixing of Bambu was not having time to listen to the rehearsal tapes...  (Sadly, I do seem to recall that none of these recordings include DW vocals).  However, I was present for many of these rehearsals, (sometimes with Dennis, sometimes just wandering in to visit the band and listen by myself), and they were extraordinary!
The rehearsals took place in the back room of Brother, (in what was normally the room where the equipment was stored, and originally was rented to house the studio's return from the Netherlands), and I can't recall what format they were recorded on, (Jon, a little help here), but they were a portent of how monumental these shows were going to be!  Ah, Dennis, if only...

Oh well, no vocals, that's a shame, nonetheless these rehearsals need to be released! I had understood that they were going to be the big archival release that year, until the Legacy POB/Bambu reissue gradually became the #1 priority. It must be very hard to get a physical release project greenlighted nowadays, but I hope Jim Guercio hasn't just put them on the back burner indefinitely, at least no more so than anything else during these times.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2021, 12:45:36 AM »

Also, Mr. Boyd had said once that there is high-quality, significant DW/Rumbo material left in the vaults. To me that would also be some of the most important stuff to let see the light of day, although the DW Estate/kids might be opposed to it.

Daly, Chicago 1968
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2021, 05:52:11 AM »

Want to add the "I've Got A Friend" instrumental track to the list of (hopefully) likely candidates, one of the best unheard things out there. AND the supposedly magnificent rehearsals for the abortive DW POB solo tour.

One of my biggest regrets from visiting John Hanlon & Jon Stebbins in the studio for the mixing of Bambu was not having time to listen to the rehearsal tapes...  (Sadly, I do seem to recall that none of these recordings include DW vocals).  However, I was present for many of these rehearsals, (sometimes with Dennis, sometimes just wandering in to visit the band and listen by myself), and they were extraordinary!
The rehearsals took place in the back room of Brother, (in what was normally the room where the equipment was stored, and originally was rented to house the studio's return from the Netherlands), and I can't recall what format they were recorded on, (Jon, a little help here), but they were a portent of how monumental these shows were going to be!  Ah, Dennis, if only...

Oh well, no vocals, that's a shame, nonetheless these rehearsals need to be released! I had understood that they were going to be the big archival release that year, until the Legacy POB/Bambu reissue gradually became the #1 priority. It must be very hard to get a physical release project greenlighted nowadays, but I hope Jim Guercio hasn't just put them on the back burner indefinitely, at least no more so than anything else during these times.

There is a great and very intriguing track-by-track description of these POB tour rehearsal tapes, courtesy of Alan Boyd, in the pages of Ken Sharp's fantastic "Dreamer" book. The rehearsals were recorded to 2" 24-track tape, and while none seem to have a complete DW vocal performance, he does do some singing here-and-there.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2021, 08:01:07 PM »

There is a great and very intriguing track-by-track description of these POB tour rehearsal tapes, courtesy of Alan Boyd, in the pages of Ken Sharp's fantastic "Dreamer" book. The rehearsals were recorded to 2" 24-track tape, and while none seem to have a complete DW vocal performance, he does do some singing here-and-there.

MUST get that book.

Daly, Chicago 1968
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2021, 08:09:08 AM »

I have it....GREAT READ!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx