gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:08:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64027 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »

Cheers, SB...wish I had a Guinness right about now! Beer

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »

"Happy Wednesday" I have skunky bud light lime left over from vacation....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:56 PM »

"Happy Wednesday" I have skunky bud light lime left over from vacation....

Have some Sunkist™ instead.

Seriously though, skunked beer would probably leave a better taste in your mouth than this DIA single!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »

Wasn't skunky bud light lime served in club Kokomo (RIP) ? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »

A remake of All I wanna do off Sunflower would have been much better. Probably one of Mike's best songs.

kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

What would it take, if not this?  Honestly.  

Still waiting for kreen's reply on this...  

But the new DIA is such a low-key, barely-released-at-all single that it can have no impact on the brand. What it would take for me to be angry is if ML personally blocked something like ST from release -- and he didn't do that.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:46 PM »

Imagine that Ringo Starr started touring as the Beatles...which would be ridiculous enough. But then pretend that he decided to remake 'Paperback Writer' with Rob Thomas (of Matchbox 20 - about as random as Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray) slathering it in autotune, releasing it as a single under his solo name, and performing it with Rob Thomas at a "Beatles" concert being broadcast across the country on a major holiday.  

It would be the pinnacle of absurdity yet it's actually happening to our favorite band.
Well, to compare it to Mike's situation, it would have to be Ringo - or Paul - touring as the Beatles with a later addition to the band - Billy Preston? - along for the ride. How about Macca with Kanye West?  LOL
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2017, 11:33:36 PM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

But the new DIA is such a low-key, barely-released-at-all single that it can have no impact on the brand. What it would take for me to be angry is if ML personally blocked something like ST from release -- and he didn't do that.

Taken from one perspective yes, this isolated release will have "no impact on the brand" as many here have said, basically because it's already in the toilet (leaving aside Brian's tours), at least as far as modern-day iterations, lawsuits, classless infighting etc.

From another larger view, each smarmy ill-conceived step DOES make a difference, and is a missed opportunity to turn perceptions around, again using the example of how monumental C50 was just on the cusp of becoming when the plug was pulled, Madison Square Garden beckoning etc. Seen in that light, which is the more meaningful light IMO, DIA is more consequential.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:38:06 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:37 AM »

I could think of a ton of hypothetical scenarios of things Mike could do to disappoint or anger fans. Block releases, kick a dog, sue to strip Al Jardine of the right to use the name "Al Jardine"; all sorts of stuff. But none of those hypothetical worse scenarios make something like Mike's single *better* in any way, or somehow blunt whatever small impact it might have. Imagine a major label releasing the single:

"New from Columbia Records: Mike Love's "Do It Again" featuring Mark McGrath and John Stamos. Available on iTunes and Amazon Now! And remember, Mike could have blocked the last Beach Boys archival release, so this single isn't that bad in comparison!"

As for the DIA single being a low-key, "barely released at all" item, I wouldn't go *that* far. Yes, it's not burning up the charts and never would have, and a decade from now or even a year from now nobody outside of hardcore completest fans and discographers will know about it. But in the moment, we're talking about a single that was prominently featured on a nationally-televised holiday broadcast on PBS, and was plugged online not only through Love's social media, but also through a weird puff piece article online at Rolling Stone. A quick Google news search also shows a number of other websites picked up on the "news" of Mike's "Fourth of July Single!" This single is probably the most prominent thing Mike has released as a solo artist in eons, arguably maybe since "Looking Back with Love" in 1981. Maybe his last two solo tracks, "Pisces Brothers" and "Alone on Christmas Day" were of similar visibility, though I'd argue probably not as much as DIA. But in any event, while in the end not a huge deal, I don't think a track plugged by Rolling Stone, featured on nationally-televised PBS, and sold in iTunes and Amazon is a "barely released at all" nothing track. It's prominent enough to remind people (both those inclined to think John Stamos is awesome as well as those who loathe what Love has done to the band and brand) where Mike stands on the art vs. commerce issue, as well as on the "Would I rather sing with Brian and the reunited Beach Boys or Mark McGrath/John Stamos?" issue.

The whole issue of what Mike does to the "brand" and "legacy" is a CUMULATIVE thing. To say something he does adds to the tarnishing of a legacy or something to the effect isn't to suggest that in 50 years a history book (or Wiki page or however histories will be digested) will say "The Beach Boys were a popular, ground-breaking American rock group formed in the 1960s. Then Mike Love ruined it all with that single he released with the Sugar Ray guy."

As a long-time fan who has witnessed DOZENS and DOZENS of instances of Mike (it's usually Mike, but sometimes the other guys) doing something that helps tarnish the legacy, I can't tell you how many times I've read dismissive "Meh, it's not a big deal" sort of comments. This goes back to the Fat Boys/John Stamos/Full House/Summer in Paradise/Crocodile Rock/Problem Child era, and even farther back actually. If a huge hunk of these "meh, it's just one little thing and a blip on the radar" events hadn't happened, the Beach Boys wouldn't *still* be derided in plenty of circles, and the narrative wouldn't consistently be the disparate nature of Brian's art versus Mike's schlock.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:36:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2017, 08:52:15 AM »

I do not believe that Mike Love or  even Kevin Love for that matter  releasing Do It Again hurts the BB legacy or Brian's artistic legacy in the least. People other than the "insiders"  will  judge the song on its own merits. If it sounds good they will like it. If it doesn't they will ignore it and not give it another thought. Stamos and Mark are popular  with certain fans. The sooner message board followers come to grips with that ,  the better in my opinion. I am interested in hearing anything from the  band members. If David Marks put out his version of the song I would listen. If it was great , I would  pass it on to my friends. If it wasn't, I would just file it away, without any disparaging comments and wait for Al Jardine to cut Do It Again with one of his grand children. But thats just me!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »

If "low-key, barely-released-at-all" is the reason why you feel it can have no impact on the brand, what if Mike took out front page articles in major newspapers, and a billboard campaign across major cities? Would you change your mind then? Serious question.

Honestly, I'm trying to understand the logic which somehow seems to imply that *nothing*, literally *nothing* that any of the Boys could possibly ever release could be a terrible, terrible idea that is an utter embarrassment to the brand.  This is as bad as it gets, and is associated with the brand name THE BEACH BOYS since Mike was plugging it while playing a show with the brand name in front of one of the biggest places an artist can play a show.

As HeyJude pointed out, Mike's actual promotional push for this is pretty much as big a promo job as a guy like Mike is realistically capable of doing in 2017. My hypothetical promo above is absurd, admittedly; no 76-year-old artist is going to do that for a one-off remake single. But clearly, it's something that he absolutely actively TRIED to get noticed, which of course is completely understandable for any artist releasing something.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:11:05 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »

I do not believe that Mike Love or  even Kevin Love for that matter  releasing Do It Again hurts the BB legacy or Brian's artistic legacy in the least. People other than the "insiders"  will  judge the song on its own merits. If it sounds good they will like it. If it doesn't they will ignore it and not give it another thought. Stamos and Mark are popular  with certain fans. The sooner message board followers come to grips with that ,  the better in my opinion. I am interested in hearing anything from the  band members. If David Marks put out his version of the song I would listen. If it was great , I would  pass it on to my friends. If it wasn't, I would just file it away, without any disparaging comments and wait for Al Jardine to cut Do It Again with one of his grand children. But thats just me!

What if a new remake of God Only Knows by one of the band members used percussion that was entirely their own sampled farts and belches, and they advertised that as such? Would that be ok too, and not an embarrassment to the brand? I just don't understand the implication that everything is ok and non-embarrassing, no matter what.

I also want to know if this applies across the board to all famous bands; is the idea that no legacy band can ever possibly release anything that is an embarrassment to the brand, ever?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:19:15 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:23 AM »

I was of course kidding about Kevin Love, and of course I care as much as anybody about the quality. All humor aside, my point is that  I do not think Mikes version of Do It Again will be an embarrassment. Mikes band has made some very nice improvements since the 50 th . Im sure his current band took a lot of time trying to make a credible version of the song.  Maybe I'm just tired of the Brian's legacy is going to be ruined implications. Mike is his own worse enemy when he speaks. On the music side its all very subjective. Ive heard some of the Andy Paley Sessions material that is worshiped on these posts, Ive passed it on to my friends. Many thought I was kidding when I said it might be released.  They thought it must have been Brian just screwing with all of us!  The vocals and production took a lot of getting used to for me also. One persons raw is another persons sloppy. Stamos is no John Bonham,  or even  Dennis, but does the song require  those guys or Keith Moon drumming on it? And some people even like Sugar Ray!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »

Timbnash68, If David Marks put out a version of DIA he wouldn't be performing the solo remake under The Beach Boys name on live television. I think that's where my irritation comes in. Mike has apparently changed a few of the lyrics of 'Getcha Back' for his live shows, he has remade DIA and performed it as The Beach Boys. What happens when he makes this supposed solo album of covers (which will likely be in this same autotuned nightmare we hear on DIA)? Will he perform those solo reinterpretations under The Beach Boys name on live television for the entire country to see (just like he did for DIA)?

Yeah, this song is just one tiny droplet of annoyance. But it's one droplet of countless in a bucket that has looked like sh*t for so long that we think nothing of it these days. Baywatch, Stamos, Full House, Tribute To NASCAR, Summer In Paradise, the ridiculous 2005 lawsuit, the "firing" of Brian and Al at the end of the C50 (yes I know they weren't fired), Mike complaining about TWGMTR post 2013 (even though it was their highest charting album since Summer Days!).

Anytime these guys make headlines anymore, aside from the occasional archival releases, it's usually something stupidly negative or embarrassing. The "legacy" is that had Ringo pulled this same stunt with the Beatles name on a national holiday it would've made every musical news headline across the world in a negative way. But for The Beach Boys it's not news because this type of embarrassing sh*t happens all the time with the band. The legacy is that the 1960s Beach Boys were one of the greatest band of all time. Post-1980s the legacy, outside of a few beautiful gems, is of a band drenched in tacky, embarrassing, spiteful, and negative behavior that seems to be eminating from one guy...and, proven by this latest single, it's not gonna end any time soon.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:36:06 AM by rab2591 » Logged

timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2017, 10:52:58 AM »

I respect your opinion. And agree that the BB's do not sit at their rightful seat at the Rock legacy lunch table. And I also agree that Mike playing golf course openings and having dancing girls on stage ( in the 90's) hurt the brand. I also hate the fact that the 50th reunion was cut short, on and on. My little point is that Mike is just furthering his  tarnished image and not harming Brian's or really the Beach Boys with this particular re make. And in a way I think Mike does keep the band legacy going to a certain degree. These days better than ever with  his  current incarnation of the band. I would like to sit down with Mike and his people and try to convince him that the 17th remake of this song wouldn't have been my choice. But in a obtuse way I think it just adds to Brian's legacy rather than take it away. And it makes most people miss Carl and Dennis and Al and Brian and Blondie even  David more. What Might  Have Been as the song goes. But I do get upset when we take it too far and start ripping everyone who trys. Mark has fans, Stamos has fans. and Mike Love has fans that might really like this. Ive heard some pretty bad covers of Brian's material , Ive always looked at it as a honor for Brian, and if I thought the cover sucked, I just didn't play it again, rather than trash the band or singer for trying. Didn't William Shatner do a cover of MR BOJANGLES once? I m sure I didn't like it, but I do not think that The Nitty Gritty Dirt Bands image was tarnished by it.
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2017, 10:56:06 AM »

And one last point, dont Brian and Al receive money for The Beach Boys name that Mike is licensing? If they are worried about their image, wouldn't they stop? I don't suspect that Brian at least really needs the income. So he or his team don't seem to be that worried.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

And it makes most people miss Carl and Dennis and Al and Brian and Blondie even  David more. What Might  Have Been as the song goes.

This is kinda my point: if the legacy could be better then obviously something is currently hurting it to not make it as good as it could be. The C50, the top charting TWGMTR, made it clear that people want to see Brian, Al, Blondie, and Marks in the band again. Imagine the legacy if Brian were able to record a follow up to TWGMTR. Imagine the legacy if the C50 continued. Instead, Brian recorded a solo album and Mike is doing this thing with McGrath using The Beach Boys name.

Brian and Al do receive money for Mike's touring. It's probably in both Brian and Al's best financial interest to keep Mike happy as he's proved himself to be fairly childish with the lawsuits when he's pissed off.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2017, 11:28:27 AM »

And one last point, dont Brian and Al receive money for The Beach Boys name that Mike is licensing? If they are worried about their image, wouldn't they stop? I don't suspect that Brian at least really needs the income. So he or his team don't seem to be that worried.

The name is licensed to Mike by the Beach Boys' legal entity, Brother Records Inc. There are four shareholders -- Brian, Al, Mike and Carl's estate. Because there are four principals, it would take a vote of at least three of them to change the status quo. Carl's estate has no reason to upset the apple cart. Therefore, as angry as Brian or Al may or may not be, they still don't have the ability to stop Mike from touring if he fulfills the license conditions.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2017, 11:55:58 AM »

I do not believe that Mike Love or  even Kevin Love for that matter  releasing Do It Again hurts the BB legacy or Brian's artistic legacy in the least. People other than the "insiders"  will  judge the song on its own merits. If it sounds good they will like it. If it doesn't they will ignore it and not give it another thought. Stamos and Mark are popular  with certain fans. The sooner message board followers come to grips with that ,  the better in my opinion. I am interested in hearing anything from the  band members. If David Marks put out his version of the song I would listen. If it was great , I would  pass it on to my friends. If it wasn't, I would just file it away, without any disparaging comments and wait for Al Jardine to cut Do It Again with one of his grand children. But thats just me!

You know Tim, I'm actually in agreement about being interested any time the main guys (in my opinion that means in order: Brian, Dennis, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie and Carl) put something out. I like that they are still trying to do something. And while I don't think that even if Mike put out a billion of these it would harm the legacy, what it does do is just cement him as a bit of a jerk off with a major lack of taste. But is that really anything new? So put simply, I'm glad he's trying, but what he is trying at is embarrassing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2017, 12:03:01 PM »

I do not believe that Mike Love or  even Kevin Love for that matter  releasing Do It Again hurts the BB legacy or Brian's artistic legacy in the least. People other than the "insiders"  will  judge the song on its own merits. If it sounds good they will like it. If it doesn't they will ignore it and not give it another thought. Stamos and Mark are popular  with certain fans. The sooner message board followers come to grips with that ,  the better in my opinion. I am interested in hearing anything from the  band members. If David Marks put out his version of the song I would listen. If it was great , I would  pass it on to my friends. If it wasn't, I would just file it away, without any disparaging comments and wait for Al Jardine to cut Do It Again with one of his grand children. But thats just me!

You know Tim, I'm actually in agreement about being interested any time the main guys (in my opinion that means in order: Brian, Dennis, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie and Carl) put something out. I like that they are still trying to do something. And while I don't think that even if Mike put out a billion of these it would harm the legacy, what it does do is just cement him as a bit of a jerk off with a major lack of taste. But is that really anything new? So put simply, I'm glad he's trying, but what he is trying at is embarrassing.

That about sums it up. The only good in this is that Mike has an apparent urge to create and actually release content.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:04:06 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 13, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

I should add though that what has consistently bugged me about Mike since C50 is not that he puts out new solo work (shoot, I even encourage it) or that he tours all the time, but that he uses the name THE BEACH BOYS to enhance these things. The touring obviously speaks for itself, as he is touring under the name of the very same group that released Pet Sounds and all the other wonderful work. And the recording work is fine unto itself, but it's super bothersome when he is promoting his new solo work via the Beach Boys vehicle, blurring the lines when talking about things like "our new single" and things like that. Because when people hear this guy Mike Love on TV saying "our new single" I would assume that what this guy means by "our" is THE BEACH BOYS. And while I've even bought the mp3 of "Pisces Brothers" on iTunes or Amazon or whatever it was, why is that solo Mike Love song being performed by the group known as The Beach Boys? It's not a Beach Boys song, it's not a song associated with The Beach Boys, and it is not conducive to helping "the brand" as performing solo Mike Love works at the shows does nothing to shine more light on the group. And this is regardless of the quality. If Mike Love wrote something better than "Hey Jude" today and started performing it at "Beach Boys" shows under the pretense that it was a Beach Boys song, that would be as much of a crock as this is. And just for the record, "Pisces Brothers" is no "Hey Jude." sh*t, it's hardly better the "Revolution 9."
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 13, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »

And it seems like I keep having more thoughts on this, but ultimately this whole thing with solo Mike Love tunes being performed by a band labeled as "The Beach Boys" stems from the bad decision that was made around 1998 with the license and everything. Because once Brian, Mike and Carl's estate agreed that there could be a touring group out there known as The Beach Boys without Brian or Al in it, but also specifying that they couldn't record under the name really made the whole thing a bit of a mess. And as much as I adore Brian (and anybody who knows me from this board knows that Brian is one of my favorite people in the entire world) I have to say that the legacy everyone is so worried about suffered the most damage when it was allowed by Carl's estate and Brian to let a faceless group of hacks go out there and represent themselves on the road as The Beach Boys. I'm sorry but it's true. Maybe I'll get attacked for it. Now maybe Brian never thought he would return to the group back in '98 and he and his wife thought that this would be a nice way to keep the name out there and also make some nice money. But besides the money, all this has done is devalued the name. You wanna know why C50 was playing amphitheatres instead of arenas? Because instead of the majority of the public building up demand to see the real Beach Boys since 1997 or 1998 or whatever, the average person probably thought, "what? How are they reuniting? They didn't break up! I just saw them last February at the Dodge Dealership opening!"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: July 13, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »

I do not believe that Mike Love or  even Kevin Love for that matter  releasing Do It Again hurts the BB legacy or Brian's artistic legacy in the least. People other than the "insiders"  will  judge the song on its own merits. If it sounds good they will like it. If it doesn't they will ignore it and not give it another thought.

I don't think this reasoning washes. So, if it sounds good, then people like it. That's good for the artist, right?

But if people don't like it, then it's just ignored with no consequence or negative connotation? So there's no negative for the artist?

If people (whether hardcore fans or random listeners) don't like a track, that's a net *negative* for the artist. I don't think much of anybody I've seen commenting on this song online seem to like Mike's new single. Even the all-time infamous Mike defender on another board, who has made excuses for literally *every single* awful think Mike has done or said, couldn't muster more than a "it's not the worst thing I've ever heard" review of the track.

On the track's own merits, regardless of how many times Mike has recorded it or what name it was released under, or even who is singing, it's a bad track. It sounds awful. It's tinny and pinched-sounding, and the vocals are processed and autotuned to the point of not sounding human. I guarantee you if this single had been *heavily* pushed by a major label, it would have been *decimated* in reviews.

It's only because Mike released the track under his own name and that this single is *relatively* low key (though not literally an invisible, "barely released" track) that there's not any huge, significant damage done to the brand. But it's still a net negative for everybody involved.

It doesn't really hurt Mike (or McGrath or Stamos), because the elements of the Beach Boys brand/trademark/legacy that are ever so slightly nicked by crummy releases like this are elements that those guys simply don't care about.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: July 13, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »

I was of course kidding about Kevin Love, and of course I care as much as anybody about the quality. All humor aside, my point is that  I do not think Mikes version of Do It Again will be an embarrassment. Mikes band has made some very nice improvements since the 50 th . Im sure his current band took a lot of time trying to make a credible version of the song.  Maybe I'm just tired of the Brian's legacy is going to be ruined implications. Mike is his own worse enemy when he speaks. On the music side its all very subjective. Ive heard some of the Andy Paley Sessions material that is worshiped on these posts, Ive passed it on to my friends. Many thought I was kidding when I said it might be released.  They thought it must have been Brian just screwing with all of us!  The vocals and production took a lot of getting used to for me also. One persons raw is another persons sloppy. Stamos is no John Bonham,  or even  Dennis, but does the song require  those guys or Keith Moon drumming on it? And some people even like Sugar Ray!

I don't think anyone is suggesting *nobody* likes Stamos or Sugar Ray. The question is whether that's the type of artist one wants their own favorite artist associated with.

If Brian were touring as "The Beach Boys" and did a TV gig duetting on "Kokomo" with the Insane Clown Posse or something, maybe Mike would take issue with that and how it "impacts" the brand.

As for the musical quality of the DIA single (e.g. Stamos's drumming, etc.), I think, in my opinion, one has to have super low musical standards to find that track palatable, regardless of anything to do with legacy/band politics, etc. It's just a poorly-produced track.

Also, it's not just hardcore scholarly fans that will take notice that Mike is simply releasing a cover of a nearly 50-year-old song. Generally speaking, covering one's own song is not seen as the peak of artistic standards. There are exceptions, but Mike is basically just doing "Stars and Stripes" without the country element, and that was a project that failed both commercially *and* artistically.

That's what's ironic. The DIA single isn't a weird "Kokomo" style conundrum of art vs. commerce. Mike's new single failed on both counts to the degree people are paying attention. It's worst of all worlds. It didn't sell well or hit it big, yet got *enough* publicity and visibility so that plenty of people still were subjected to it on PBS.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »

Timbnash68, If David Marks put out a version of DIA he wouldn't be performing the solo remake under The Beach Boys name on live television. I think that's where my irritation comes in.

And I'd go one step further and go out on a limb and say that David Marks releasing a recording of "Do It Again" as a single would likely be not terribly interesting either. I'm sure he'd do some nice guitar work, and would almost surely eschew autotune and do the whole thing more organically. But I don't need ANY of these guys to re-record "Do It Again" again. The original is there. To paraphrase the guy in "Jurassic World", "Original Beach Boys recording; Wow enough!"

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx