gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64008 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2017, 12:33:02 PM »

Kreen called it crap, so I'm not sure how you consider that defending the song.

It's all down to whether one feels a sort of "meh, it sucks but it's not a big deal" sort of attitude serves as a defense of the track. I'd argue that position doesn't really defend the quality of the track, but it does defend its existence and downplays the criticism of it.

Which is fine of course. I don't tend to extend Mike that much leeway in a lot of cases, because he has heartily earned the skepticism of fans. A lot of people also had a "meh, the reunion had a set end date" attitude, which I felt (and feel) was way too dismissive of that whole situation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:34:58 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

What would it take, if not this?  Honestly.  

Still waiting for kreen's reply on this...  

I'm not kreen, and I do think Mike remaking DIA over and over is definitely an embarrassment to everybody involved, but I'll go ahead and say something that amounts to utter blasphemy here:

I think almost the entire Love You album is an absolute embarrassment to the band, the brand, and all involved.

Mind you, I realized that Love You was creative, new work, etc. Not trying to compare apples to oranges. But I almost wish it didn't exist.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, although personally, I don't agree with it at all. I mean, I can understand why people would feel it's an embarrassment due to the raw nature of the backing tracks, and the sometimes clunky vocals, etc. It's VERY different than other BBs albums.

But yeah, it does have some VERY creative stuff on it, and I personally love the heck out of that album. Dearly, I do. And as HeyJude pointed out, it has many, many people and influential critics/artists who love it, so it's not any sort of blight on their legacy even if some people (even a sizeable amount) don't like it. Too many people love the sh*t out of it for it to ding their legacy. Apples and oranges indeed.

I just want to know why people (not you, bonnevillemariner) who defend DIA '17 (there aren't many!) insist on ducking the question I posed above. It's seemingly unanswerable, so duck, dodge is the only option.

It's one thing conceding that it's not a good remake, it's another to take the additional step of stating that it should never have been made and is an utter embarrassment to the band (I honestly cannot understand how any fan won't bring themselves to say that), as opposed to saying that it's okay or justifiable somehow because one random dude in the middle of the country likes that version of the song.

It might be embarrassing to us hardcore fans, but the reality is it's already in the dustbin of history at this point.  Nobody is talking about it except us here and over on the PS forum.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »

It's all down to whether one feels a sort of "meh, it sucks but it's not a big deal" sort of attitude serves as a defense of the track. I'd argue that position doesn't really defend the quality of the track, but it does defend its existence and downplays the criticism of it.

Which is fine of course. I don't tend to extend Mike that much leeway in a lot of cases, because he has heartily earned the skepticism of fans. A lot of people also had a "meh, the reunion had a set end date" attitude, which I felt (and feel) was way too dismissive of that whole situation.

I understand what you're saying, but it's such a small time release that I don't see it having any negative impact on the band.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

I'm not kreen, and I do think Mike remaking DIA over and over is definitely an embarrassment to everybody involved, but I'll go ahead and say something that amounts to utter blasphemy here:

I think almost the entire Love You album is an absolute embarrassment to the band, the brand, and all involved.

Mind you, I realized that Love You was creative, new work, etc. Not trying to compare apples to oranges. But I almost wish it didn't exist.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, although personally, I don't agree with it at all. I mean, I can understand why people would feel it's an embarrassment due to the raw nature of the backing tracks, and the sometimes clunky vocals, etc. It's VERY different than other BBs albums.

But yeah, it does have some VERY creative stuff on it, and I personally love the heck out of that album. Dearly, I do. And as HeyJude pointed out, it has many, many people and influential critics/artists who love it, so it's not any sort of blight on their legacy even if some people (even a sizeable amount) don't like it. Too many people love the sh*t out of it for it to ding their legacy. Apples and oranges indeed.

I just want to know why people (not you, bonnevillemariner) who defend DIA '17 (there aren't many!) insist on ducking the question I posed above. It's seemingly unanswerable, so duck, dodge is the only option.

It's one thing conceding that it's not a good remake, it's another to take the additional step of stating that it should never have been made and is an utter embarrassment to the band (I honestly cannot understand how any fan won't bring themselves to say that), as opposed to saying that it's okay or justifiable somehow because one random dude in the middle of the country likes that version of the song.

It might be embarrassing to us hardcore fans, but the reality is it's already in the dustbin of history at this point.  Nobody is talking about it except us here and over on the PS forum.

Unfortunately, we'll never know if some prominent writer at some influential blog might have been writing a legit, non-sarcastic, well-intended reevaluation piece about Mike's talents in the wake of Sunshine Tomorrow's release, only to decide to scrap such an article in the wake of DIA '17, as well as how its parody video has gone somewhat viral (on a relatively small level, but still). I mean, this is not reaching to assume a scenario like this might actually have occurred.

As I previously mentioned, I was (for several short days after ST's release, pre DIA '17's release) newly thinking of Mike in a way that made me feel like "maybe Mike was right, maybe him + Brian was really a magical combination on a level that I never quite realized", and I was thinking about posting a thread about it on this board. But DIA '17 just took the wind out of my sails, man. So I could completely understand similar scenarios possibly occurring in the world of actual, influential (non Smiley Smile messageboard) music blogging.

So if we're gonna discuss the topic of "Nobody is talking about it", unfortunately the reality is that the "it" in question is more likely in regards to critical reevaluation and praise for material that Mike should deservedly get praise for. In all likelihood, if critical praise pieces for Mike were possibly going to have been written for one brief moment in time... nobody in influential circles is gonna talk about it with regards to ST anymore due to DIA '17. Yep.

And that irks and pisses me off, because I *want* him to get praise where praise is due. I legit *want* to like Mike Love and his contributions to the band. But it's VERY hard to talk about how great Mike is at the exact moment in time he sh*ts on the legacy in the worst way possible.

The dustbin of history is where Mike's reputation has fallen, right at the moment the tides could've turned *just a little bit*. He was never gonna undo all the damage and terrible things he's done over the years, but ST was a very, very unexpectedly good thing that for a brief moment could have helped his reputation out *somewhat*. Don't you agree DIA '17's release was literally the PERFECT way of dampening any potential praise or respect he could've received for ST? Could Mike have done a better job if that was his mission? 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:03:18 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »

It might be embarrassing to us hardcore fans, but the reality is it's already in the dustbin of history at this point.  Nobody is talking about it except us here and over on the PS forum.

I think most any single event like this is not a huge factor in the band's career or legacy, etc. But critics have pointed out in the past how the whole Mike/Stamos presentation is an embarrassment and certainly demonstrates the art/commerce divide between Mike and Brian (among others).

It doesn't help the band or brand in any way, so it really only slightly injures it because it's more fuel for critics who (I believe rightly) point out how everything to do with the single (Mike's use of the name, Mike's shtick, Mike's thing with Stamos, Mark McGrath, etc.) is not something to be proud of.

The rock press who, despite the band's complete lack of presence on classic rock radio and a couple decades of watering down the trademark, talked this *band* and *brand* up in 2012 (as Howie Edelson put it, Mike going from Frankie Valli to Mick Jagger literally overnight) will never again do so given Mike dumping the reunion and his subsequent reversion to Lou Christie (and the 2017 version of Lou Christie, Mark McGrath), which includes things like this DIA single.

As with most things Mike does and says, it's all more emblematic of the underlying issues than it is a huge *cause* of any of them.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:50:59 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:41 PM »

I understand what you're saying, but it's such a small time release that I don't see it having any negative impact on the band.

I won't repeat my previous long post, but again, there are really zero positives and some slight negatives. Hardly an epic event on the scale of, say, Mike's '88 Rock Hall speech or something. But it's a slight net negative on most everything Mike does, when it comes to the *brand* and *legacy* that is. He does well for *his* organization, Meleco, and *his* band members, and *his* concert fans, etc.

This isn't always the case, though. Mike glady participating in "Sunshine Tomorrow" is great, and hopefully he'll keep doing stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:51:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:39 PM »

Unfortunately, we'll never know if some prominent writer at some influential blog might have been writing a legit, non-sarcastic, well-intended reevaluation piece about Mike's talents in the wake of Sunshine Tomorrow's release, only to decide to scrap such an article in the wake of DIA '17, as well as how its parody video has gone somewhat viral (on a relatively small level, but still). I mean, this is not reaching to assume a scenario like this might actually have occurred.

As I previously mentioned, I was (for several short days after ST's release, pre DIA '17's release) newly thinking of Mike in a way that made me feel like "maybe Mike was right, maybe him + Brian was really a magical combination on a level that I never quite realized", and I was thinking about posting a thread about it on this board. But DIA '17 just took the wind out of my sails, man. So I could completely understand similar scenarios possibly occurring in the world of actual, influential (non Smiley Smile messageboard) music blogging.

So if we're gonna discuss the topic of "Nobody is talking about it", unfortunately the reality is that the "it" in question is more likely in regards to critical reevaluation and praise for material that Mike should deservedly get praise for. In all likelihood, if critical praise pieces for Mike were possibly going to have been written for one brief moment in time... nobody in influential circles is gonna talk about it with regards to ST anymore due to DIA '17. Yep.

And that irks and pisses me off, because I *want* him to get praise where praise is due. I legit *want* to like Mike Love and his contributions to the band. But it's VERY hard to talk about how great Mike is at the exact moment in time he sh*ts on the legacy in the worst way possible.

The dustbin of history is where Mike's reputation has fallen, right at the moment the tides could've turned *just a little bit*. He was never gonna undo all the damage and terrible things he's done over the years, but ST was a very, very unexpectedly good thing that for a brief moment could have helped his reputation out *somewhat*. Don't you agree DIA '17's release was literally the PERFECT way of dampening any potential praise or respect he could've received for ST? Could Mike have done a better job if that was his mission? 

I can just as easily say no writer was planning to write some piece that re-evaluates Mike's role in the band.  I mean, everyone already knew what Mike contributed to Wild Honey, why would this release change that?  I completely agree with HeyJude about C50, but this is a completely different scenario.  There's no earth shattering revelation about Mike that came with this release. 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:13 PM »

I won't repeat my previous long post, but again, there are really zero positives and some slight negatives. Hardly an epic event on the scale of, say, Mike's '88 Rock Hall speech or something. But it's a slight net negative on most everything Mike does, when it comes to the *brand* and *legacy* that is. He does well for *his* organization, Meleco, and *his* band members, and *his* concert fans, etc.

This isn't always the case, though. Mike glady participating in "Sunshine Tomorrow" is great, and hopefully he'll keep doing stuff like that.

I guess that's where we differ.  I don't see the negatives hurting anything when it comes to the brand and legacy.  The people who hate Mike still hate him, his facebook fans still like him, and 99.9% of casual music fans don't even know the song exists.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »

I can just as easily say no writer was planning to write some piece that re-evaluates Mike's role in the band.  I mean, everyone already knew what Mike contributed to Wild Honey, why would this release change that?  I completely agree with HeyJude about C50, but this is a completely different scenario.  There's no earth shattering revelation about Mike that came with this release.  

Well right off the bat that's not quite true, because as I stated, I myself was pondering writing such a piece on this board. That's not equivalent to a Rolling Stone/Pitchfork reevaluation article, but it proves at minimum that people with knowledge of the band actually had such an inclination. I'm just one person, but I don't think it's such a stretch as a possible scenario.

What would you say if it provably came out that my scenario was actually true? Would the blame just go to that writer for letting some silly remake spoil what should be clear-headed reevaluation for Mike Love? Or would then it be fair to say that Mike really shot himself in the foot with this one? There are lots of what-ifs and things we'll never know with regards to this band, but saying that Mike's contributions were ripe for rediscovery at this moment in time (and that people, or in my case, just one person, thought about writing praise for Mike within the band's contextual history) is not some wild idea. It's possible, and perhaps even probable that it would've happened.

If there's anything earth-shattering, it's just that the WH record needed a second look (and listen) and due to the immense talents of the people involved in its release, it finally is presented with a mix that it always deserved. It IS in fact earth-shattering how good the record is, when compared to how "meh" it previously sounded with its original mix (just my opinion, but an opinion shared by many others I'm sure). I have played ST for casual fans of the band, who suddenly were FLOORED by how awesome the album is. It's *that* good a remix (not to mention the bonus tracks).

That's why it's all the more sucky to have any good Mike vibes spoiled by Mike himself for the umpteenth time. If DIA '17 came out a year after ST, it would still have sucked, but not quite as much. That's half the point I'm making.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:28:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »

That's great that you were pondering re-evaluating Mike's role in the band, but you didn't actually write anything.  You had Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and up to Monday evening to write such a piece, but you didn't.  All of the major sites were done talking about Sunshine Tomorrow by that time anyway.  If they had anything to say about Mike, they would have said it by then.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

That's great that you were pondering re-evaluating Mike's role in the band, but you didn't actually write anything.  You had Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and up to Monday evening to write such a piece, but you didn't.  All of the major sites were done talking about Sunshine Tomorrow by that time anyway.  If they had anything to say about Mike, they would have said it by then.

Firstly, I had yet to fully listen and relisted to the entirety of the set, and to really soak it in. There isn't a time limit on when people can write stuff, either on messageboards or on websites. Somehow you are magically putting a time limit of when a positive piece might need to have been written to suit some narrative that minimizes what potential damage a release like this could cause around the time of ST.  

The elements that might plant the seed of motivation to get someone to write something (writings that might eventually take a few weeks to actually come to pass) would probably be based in the positive vibes that were set in the days after first hearing the tracks. The experience was soured somewhat for me. I'll certainly still love ST and will listen to it a lot, but for awhile anyway, I'll be reminded of the coinciding release of a giant diarrhea dump on the legacy. My motivation to write a positive reevaluation of Mike simply evaporated upon hearing this absolute garbage. Sorry.

The timing makes it feel like DIA '17 was released as a bonus track on ST.

For as much grief as I may give Mike on this board where I feel it's due, I'm also the type of person to positively tout his positive contributions in person, to get people I personally know to reevaluate the guy positively. I absolutely feel that his good stuff should be praised, and that people shouldn't irrationally ignore the actual good things he did for this band.  I have spoken such good words before because I feel it's the right thing to do.

Personally speaking, part of liking the Beach Boys on a deep level is appreciating the "underdog" factor where as a music fan, you feel a need to make sure the band's positive offerings are properly respected on a level they deserve (because so often they are not respected in a way they deserve by many music fans). I feel the same about the "underdog" aspects of Mike, which of course exist; I'll generally go out of my way to defend his good in-need-of-praise contributions to my last breath, and will be pissed at anyone who tries to say the good stuff ain't good just because he acts like a toolbox a whole helluva lot.

DIA '17 sapped my own personal motivation for wanting to go the extra mile like that in this instance. At minimum, any underground person-to-person word of mouth type of stuff has probably been dampened somewhat by this lame release (same for other people like me who might do that as well; I can't be the only frustrated fan of this band who feels the need to talk good things about Mike when possible) . I was planning to have a listening party with some friends for ST (still planning on it, no date set yet)... I can only speak for myself, but I'm less motivated to want to tell everyone who's sitting around chilling out to the tunes about how kick-ass Mike's contributions specifically are on this set. I cannot imagine I'm alone in feeling this way. It's not that he erases his past contributions, it's just that he reopens old wounds that as a fan, sour my feelings on him in a very big way. A modern DIA remake being the C50 reunion theme song only makes it even worse.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:42:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »

There isn't a time limit on when people can write stuff, either on messageboards or on websites.

This. The rules of engagement are different out here in cyberspace. And not everyone has all day to write stuff anyway.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 12, 2017, 06:54:28 AM »

Late to the party....

Saw this last night. The re-remake of Do it again is just awful in my opinion. Why do it again?

It reminds me of a karaoke version but with an original member and some guest stars.

And who wears their own name on their hat?

Id have more respect for a new release that was an original song written somewhat recently even if it wasn't good.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 12, 2017, 09:31:12 AM »

I find the hat absolutely hilarious. It brilliantly encapsulates Mike's inordinate arrogance overall. I kind of want that hat-- if only to smirk at the irony.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:35:08 AM by bonnevillemariner » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Scaroline No
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »

LOL

JK, you win the internet today!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2017, 10:17:11 AM »

This is great! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

There needs to be a perverse scavenger hunt-type game where someone gets one of those Mike Love hats and then tries to get people like David Crosby, Van Dyke Parks, Nelson Bragg, and others to pose in it.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »

And OSD! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »

Nice one JK.

Good points about the timing, reminds me of John & Paul jockeying to see who would announce first that they had left the Beatles (or rather John holding off his announcement out of consideration for the others and Paul smugly taking advantage to make himself look good). Or even more, Capitol releasing their Best Of package so soon after Per Sounds. Just typically atrocious taste, 4th of July or no, but Mike never thinks about these things.

I swear I'm not a gratuitous ML basher, and I understand the matter-of-fact acceptance of the negligible impact of this on the casual fans, but seen from a larger perspective this kind of cheapening is truly an outrage IMO and we should be less jaded and more indignant about it. Not to sidetrack unduly, as HeyJude says, the Mike-instigated C50 implosion is underplayed, and is a perfect example. Whether Melinda's methods and minions were cramping his streamlined style, despite his fronting the band earning him some leeway, as long as something obviously special like that was going down, Madison Square Garden and larger, more comprehensive band image rehabilitation beckoning, he d--n well owed it to his cousin (and himself, even if he couldn't see it, but of course he's entitled to his own priorities) to suck it up and go for a rare chance at yet another brass ring. He also owed it to the band;s legacy, and yes, the serious fans, who have supported them through all these years and would have been immensely gratified to see a huge mainstream commercial (and critical, though that was already underway) resurrection.

How many major elder statesman outfits with their mainstream potential (not counting the B act circuit) do you see selling out to this degree? NONE that I can think of! It's an absolute disgrace and, like the current presidency, rather than lapse into apathy, people who care about this band, its music and its image and legacy should stay passionate and bear witness to Love's ultimate sellout, no matter how much it hurts. Yes, there is a carefree, fun aspect to it all which, if the diminishment of the personnel and musical content and overall cheesiness of the presentation wasn't occurring would be tolerable and even wonderful, but with Stamos, McGrath etc. Dennis and Carl would have reached a new level of disgust, were they alive to see it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:58:19 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2017, 10:58:09 AM »

LOL JK that's fantastic Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »

Regarding the hat, it would be one thing if Mike had a solo career.  And unlike Smokey the Bear ( that's gold, JK) Mike's  brand really doesn't exist ! I may as well put my own name on a hat and wear it.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:25:16 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2017, 03:25:49 PM »

We need another thread dedicated to hats.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:26:20 PM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2017, 04:00:57 PM »

Imagine that Ringo Starr started touring as the Beatles...which would be ridiculous enough. But then pretend that he decided to remake 'Paperback Writer' with Rob Thomas (of Matchbox 20 - about as random as Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray) slathering it in autotune, releasing it as a single under his solo name, and performing it with Rob Thomas at a "Beatles" concert being broadcast across the country on a major holiday.  

It would be the pinnacle of absurdity yet it's actually happening to our favorite band.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:04:26 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »

Dammit Rab, that is the hard reality of the situation. I need a beer....

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx