gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:09:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64010 times)
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2017, 04:49:28 PM »

Let the old boy get his kix, I say. A few of the concert attendees who site Kokomo as their fav BB song will enjoy it and it will otherwise be forgotten. I don't think it's damaging to Mike's or the band's legacy. Ignore and it will swiftly disappear. It's also pretty irrelevant that "Do it Again" was re-recorded in 2012 already because that version has sunk without a trace also.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 09, 2017, 03:50:33 AM »

surely someone is this SS community must like it? anybody lol?  Lips Sealed

I have no problems with it. I can't understand all the fuss, to be quite frank.

Thank you, filledeplage!!  3D

Grin

This performance has been fantastic publicity for the Boys. A guaranteed audience of millions! If a handful of those millions (even just one individual, dammit) decides to investigate further and gets hooked, that performance will have served its purpose. So why knock it?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 09, 2017, 03:59:29 AM »

JK has a point, but what a way to find out about the group.....  Brow
Well..... it's only uphill for those folk
 Rock!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 09, 2017, 05:44:39 AM »

surely someone is this SS community must like it? anybody lol?  Lips Sealed

I have no problems with it. I can't understand all the fuss, to be quite frank.

Thank you, filledeplage!!  3D

Grin

This performance has been fantastic publicity for the Boys. A guaranteed audience of millions! If a handful of those millions (even just one individual, dammit) decides to investigate further and gets hooked, that performance will have served its purpose. So why knock it?

JK, I respect your willingness to see the glass half full. Before I listened to the recent single I tried to go into it with that same attitude but that thing was so overwhelmingly bad I just couldn’t see any positives.

If a handful of those millions (even just one individual, dammit) decides to investigate further and gets hooked

Believe me, it probably was just one individual, and I think that’s the issue here: It could be the whole damn audience that gets interested enough to get back into this band - but a performance of this poor caliber is doing very little for the fanbase. It is a squandered opportunity where more fans are left scratching their heads than getting excited for the music. The biggest moment of their concert was introducing Mark McGrath and John Stamos to help sing a solo single that Mike even advertised onstage - as it was released as a Mike Love solo single what iTunes page does he want people to go to? The Beach Boys or his own?

Here’s a guy who was apparently dismayed at autotune being used for the C50 - and why wouldn’t he be? It is an atrocious little tool when used unprofessionally and it’s a slap in the face to the legacy of America’s most unique vocal/harmonizing bands to use it in this fashion in concert. So he gets pissy that it’s used during the C50 (and had it been used on Brian’s NPP single) but now he has no problem using it? I’m not pointing this out for the obvious hypocrisy going on here, I’m pointing it out because at one point apparently Mike himself hated this vocal effect so much that he complained about its use in interviews and his own book...it’s that bad of an effect to him. And I would hope this irritation was stemmed from a sole dislike of the effect rather than some petty grudge he has against certain people - though sadly I’m sure it is the latter.

Regardless, let’s say that one person did enjoy the autotuned lip-synced performance that he/she heard - besides Joe Thomas’ disgrace of a C50 CD I’m not sure they’ll find anything in the catalogue that remotely sounds like what we heard on the 4th. And if they did like the Mark McGrath collaboration they won’t even find it on The Beach Boys band page anyways as the version the audience heard is a Mike Love solo single.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »

Perhaps I'm a little out of my depth here, but I still feel it's worthwhile to at least try to inject a little positivity into a situation that until now has been treated as 100% negative.

Although I must confess I bust a gut reading some of this topic's inspired descriptions of Mike's hapless single...     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »

here's what McGrath is really like when he's not clowning for an audience or knocked out under the plastic surgeon's knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjD0SkoFr0
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 09, 2017, 02:24:45 PM »

here's what McGrath is really like when he's not clowning for an audience or knocked out under the plastic surgeon's knife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjD0SkoFr0

I guess I’m really out of the loop when it comes to Sugar Ray or Mark McGrath (I have no idea who they/him are). After all of this I kinda wanna stay out of that loop forever. Given all the negative reviews in this thread can we expect Sugar Ray, cough, I mean Mark McGrath to show up to tell us that we’re all nothing?

@JK, again, commendable that you’re trying to interject some positivity. The way I see it: Mike has pretty much gotten nothing but good reviews here and elsewhere for his latest string of concerts (except for this Fourth concert). Give credit where credit is due, I say.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2017, 02:15:52 AM »

@JK, again, commendable that you’re trying to interject some positivity. The way I see it: Mike has pretty much gotten nothing but good reviews here and elsewhere for his latest string of concerts (except for this Fourth concert). Give credit where credit is due, I say.

Agreed on the credit bit. And add me to the chorus of good reviewers. :=)

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2017, 06:09:04 AM »

Let the old boy get his kix, I say. A few of the concert attendees who site Kokomo as their fav BB song will enjoy it and it will otherwise be forgotten. I don't think it's damaging to Mike's or the band's legacy. Ignore and it will swiftly disappear. It's also pretty irrelevant that "Do it Again" was re-recorded in 2012 already because that version has sunk without a trace also.

Incidentally, I played the original DIA recording and the new Mike single in the car with my kids (all 6, who range from ages 4-16), and asked them which version they like better. To my dismay, they chose Mike's new remake. Why? My teenagers said they preferred Mike's version because it had "more beats" and because the original release-- while they recognize that it features all of the original BBs-- "it sounds like crap."  So crappy autotune trumps crappy production in my kids' minds.  (The muddy sound of the original is my big beef with it, too.) Mind you, these are the kids of a Beach Boys die hard, who are a captive Beach Boys audience for at least several hours per week in the car.

But... BUT, then I played the 2012 C50 remake and that became their favorite version because a) Brian's voice is prominent and b) it doesn't sound muddy. 

"Why have we never heard this version before, Dad?"

"Because some idiot somewhere decided to only release it on the CD that came with the zinepack thing that you could only get at Target during a 3 month window, so when I finally got my hands on it online I had to rip it and add it to a playlist, which I had to side-load to my iPhone."

I couldn't remember if that was the ONLY release of that version, but my point was it was a throwaway track. My point (well, one of them) is that while we keep joking about DIA being redone and redone and redone, I'm not sure how relevant the far superior C50 remake is, since approximately 30 people in the world have ever heard it.

Interesting side note, though... After playing C50 DIA for them, I played the live 2012 version from the Isn't It Time EP.  The kids preferred this version better than any, saying a) Brian, and b) it was so much more alive than the C50 studio version.  Overall, there were no comments whatsoever-- good or bad-- about autotune on any version. It wasn't noticed and was not factor.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2017, 06:38:12 AM »

Incidentally, I played the original DIA recording and the new Mike single in the car with my kids (all 6, who range from ages 4-16), and asked them which version they like better. To my dismay, they chose Mike's new remake. Why? My teenagers said they preferred Mike's version because it had "more beats" and because the original release-- while they recognize that it features all of the original BBs-- "it sounds like crap."  So crappy autotune trumps crappy production in my kids' minds.  (The muddy sound of the original is my big beef with it, too.) Mind you, these are the kids of a Beach Boys die hard, who are a captive Beach Boys audience for at least several hours per week in the car.

But... BUT, then I played the 2012 C50 remake and that became their favorite version because a) Brian's voice is prominent and b) it doesn't sound muddy. 

"Why have we never heard this version before, Dad?"

"Because some idiot somewhere decided to only release it on the CD that came with the zinepack thing that you could only get at Target during a 3 month window, so when I finally got my hands on it online I had to rip it and add it to a playlist, which I had to side-load to my iPhone."

I couldn't remember if that was the ONLY release of that version, but my point was it was a throwaway track. My point (well, one of them) is that while we keep joking about DIA being redone and redone and redone, I'm not sure how relevant the far superior C50 remake is, since approximately 30 people in the world have ever heard it.

Interesting side note, though... After playing C50 DIA for them, I played the live 2012 version from the Isn't It Time EP.  The kids preferred this version better than any, saying a) Brian, and b) it was so much more alive than the C50 studio version.  Overall, there were no comments whatsoever-- good or bad-- about autotune on any version. It wasn't noticed and was not factor.

The 2012 "Zinepak" thing was even worse; it was a *Walmart* exclusive. I didn't mind them not putting the DIA remake on the TWGMTR album. It could have easily been released as an online single. But the point with that remake was two-fold:

1. An exercise to apparently see if the four main BB guys could get through their first session together in 15 years without murdering each other.

and

2. A promotional tool for C50.

It was made to be an online video to promote the album. Again, as I mentioned, why they didn't go ahead and sell it as a "single" online eludes me; it wouldn't have hurt. But who knows, maybe it was promised to Walmart as an exclusive (in the US anyway). The track was tacked on to the Japanese version of the TWGMTR.

But, more importantly when we're talking about complaining about Mike's continued remakes of the song; that is an *artistic* criticism. It doesn't matter whether 10 people heard the C50 remake or whether anyone remembers it. I'm sure even *fewer* heard his 2016 solo remake (some fans online didn't even know about it). It's not as if Mike remaking DIA *again* would be less of an artistically vapid move if the C50 or 2016 or Adrian Baker remakes had been super popular, or sunk without a trace. The point is that the fans that know Mike's career and can therefore actually judge (to some degree) his artistic repertoire will therefore know that he's making a *particularly* monotonous artistic decision by remaking the same song so many times. *Every version* Mike does is going to sink like a stone to some degree.

I do think Mike continually remaking a song which already had a remake that was integral to the promotion of C50 is probably a little bit of an extra kick in the nuts to C50, but that's not a huge deal I suppose. Let's remember Mike was performing "Isn't It Time" *without* Brian, Al, or Dave within months of C50 ending.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »

I mean this in all seriousness, I *think* Mike should have just done "Kokomo" with McGrath instead. I'm actually super surprised he didn't just do that.

I don't think anybody is arguing Mike's new remake is hugely damaging to the band's legacy. It certainly doesn't help, and most certainly makes him appear extra unimaginative and artistically vapid, but the whole thing will indeed be a distant memory before long (if it isn't already).

I think the move is more simply an interesting and telling decision on Mike's part. Quitting the band in 2012 and clearly looking *far more* excited and invigorated singing next to Mark McGrath than he ever did on C50 singing next to Al Jardine tells us some important things about Mike and helps us face up to the harsh realities about Mike and the band that I guess we have already known for a long time.

As for the C50 version of DIA sinking without a trace, as I mention in another post, the success or failure of previous versions doesn't matter when we're talking about Mike remaking the song *four* times in the studio simply being an artistically uninspired decision. It's just lazy and uninteresting. It's the same thing as Capitol repackaging the old hits. Mike didn't try to "get in a room alone" with McGrath and write a new song. Mike can't be bothered to even *listen* to Brian and Al's recording of "The Right Time", but can throw shade on it regarding autotune, and then he goes back to his bunker and two years later comes up with robo-McGrath and robo-Mike singing the same friggin' song he's performed at every concert since 1969 and the same song he's re-recorded numerous times with and without the other BBs.

In terms of studio recordings, even Ringo hasn't remade "It Don't Come Easy" or "Yellow Submarine" FOUR times. (Ironically, while the albums are kind of forgettable, Ringo continues to crank out albums to the point where I couldn't even tell you how the songs go on the last couple).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:47:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »

"1. An exercise to apparently see if the four main BB guys could get through their first session together in 15 years without murdering each other."

Jude, thats pretty much it! LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2017, 07:33:28 AM »

I don't think anybody is arguing Mike's new remake is hugely damaging to the band's legacy. It certainly doesn't help, and most certainly makes him appear extra unimaginative and artistically vapid, but the whole thing will indeed be a distant memory before long (if it isn't already).

I'm just really hoping that this isn't the first installment of singles for his supposed Beach Boys cover album. I cringe to think what other obscure artists could be helping reinterpret Beach Boys songs down the road.

Sweetmountain
Smiley Smile Newbie

The artist formerly known as b00ts

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2017, 01:02:41 PM »

Mike is merely continuing his tradition of devaluing The Beach Boys brand. "Do It Again 2017" is the worst Beach Boys-related product I've heard thus far; pretty big achievement, all things considered.

For those comparing DIA '17 to No Pier Pressure, Brian doesn't always make the best choices artistically... but he *is* an artist. Brian is a person who creates new things, while Mike is someone who crassly, tastelessly attempts to exploit the BB brand for profit.

The fact that Love couldn't pick another Beach Boys song to redo, after having covered the same song last year and in 2012, speaks volumes to his creative bankruptcy. DIA '17 makes "Santa's Goin' to Kokomo" look like a real artistic statement.

"Do it! Do it!"  Grin WTF?!?

On the other hand, I do find myself listening this track and showing it to friends because of how absolutely horrible it is. That's something Do It Again '17 has going over the majority of No Pier Pressure, which is merely a bland, workmanlike Brian album - Imagination MK II.

Anyway, good to be back on SmileySmile Smiley

- Bella
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »

B00ts! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2017, 01:33:15 PM »

Welcome back!

I remember you posted a self-recorded BB track under the name b00ts----it was "Wonderful" (I just looked it up and revisited it) with those awesome ascending backing vocals... 

Sweetmountain
Smiley Smile Newbie

The artist formerly known as b00ts

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

Welcome back!

I remember you posted a self-recorded BB track under the name b00ts----it was "Wonderful" (I just looked it up and revisited it) with those awesome ascending backing vocals... 
Thanks for the kind words, glad you enjoyed it! It's available for free download at isobelmorris.net. I will probably revisit it in a few years with the singer of Smashmouth and the guy who played Screech on Saved by the Bell Wink

It's good to be back Smiley And hi, SMiLe Brian!

- Bella
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »

Another thing I'd like to point out for those whose take on the single is "Meh, it's just a single, and it's kind of goofy or stupid, but it's no big deal and not hurting anything", I'd say this:

I think little one-off items like this would be much more palatable if there were also plenty of other riches from the group to soak in at this same moment in time. That is, if the C50 lineup had stayed together and made another album or two of generally decent quality, continued to tour with a great band and great setlist, and if we were in the middle of an onslaught of releases as part of a huge archival program, then Mike going off and doing essentially his solo version of the '87 "Fat Boys" single would just be a little blip.

Now, we're *getting there* as far as this is concerned, at least with the achives. "Sunshine Tomorrow" is the best thing imaginable in this (hopefully) next new phase of working the archives. That "Sunshine Tomorrow" exists probably *is* why Mike's single has been more laughed off rather than even more strongly derided.

But this sort of single becomes a main focus because it's *all* Mike is doing or has done for some time now, and the actual BB group doesn't release new music anymore (and the only active member releasing solo albums, Brian, isn't cranking them out every year either anymore).

Imagine if George Harrison had come out, after five years of inactivity, in 1987 *not* with "Cloud Nine", but instead a re-recording of "For You Blue" as a duet with Kylie Minogue and Ginger from Gilligan's Island. This is kind of maybe a *bit* like that.

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »

Imagine if George Harrison had come out, after five years of inactivity, in 1987 *not* with "Cloud Nine", but instead a re-recording of "For You Blue" as a duet with Kylie Minogue and Ginger from Gilligan's Island. This is kind of maybe a *bit* like that.

... Except that I would actually really want to hear that.   LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2017, 10:49:23 AM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

What would it take, if not this?  Honestly.  

Still waiting for kreen's reply on this...  
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 11, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »

I guess where we differ is the idea of whether or not it's a truly disgraceful embarrassment or not.  And if you *don't* think it's a disgraceful embarrassment to both him and the brand, I'd like to know specifically what type of BBs or Mike release would qualify as such for you.

I'm not kreen, and I do think Mike remaking DIA over and over is definitely an embarrassment to everybody involved, but I'll go ahead and say something that amounts to utter blasphemy here:

I think almost the entire Love You album is an absolute embarrassment to the band, the brand, and all involved.

Mind you, I realized that Love You was creative, new work, etc. Not trying to compare apples to oranges. But I almost wish it didn't exist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 11, 2017, 11:30:19 AM »

It's worth noting though, that whether one personally likes "Love You" or not, it isn't widely derided among the indie/hipster/hardcore/nerdy fans, and thus many prominent critics (the type of critics who would ever care to review the album certainly).

So in terms of overall critical sentiment, and thus how it impacts the brand, I think "Love You" is a net positive, again whether one personally likes it or not. I'm not *as* enamored with the album as its most hardcore devotees, and I think "Mona" is compositionally one of the most annoying songs Brian ever recorded and released. But the *songs* are there enough on the album that I still think it's brilliant. And in terms of both composition and production, it's Brian following his muse which I think is something he should be doing more often. An album released in 2017 full of "Message Man" type tracks would be cathartic I think for both Brian and fans.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:31:01 AM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 11, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »

I'm not kreen, and I do think Mike remaking DIA over and over is definitely an embarrassment to everybody involved, but I'll go ahead and say something that amounts to utter blasphemy here:

I think almost the entire Love You album is an absolute embarrassment to the band, the brand, and all involved.

Mind you, I realized that Love You was creative, new work, etc. Not trying to compare apples to oranges. But I almost wish it didn't exist.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, although personally, I don't agree with it at all. I mean, I can understand why people would feel it's an embarrassment due to the raw nature of the backing tracks, and the sometimes clunky vocals, etc. It's VERY different than other BBs albums.

But yeah, it does have some VERY creative stuff on it, and I personally love the heck out of that album. Dearly, I do. And as HeyJude pointed out, it has many, many people and influential critics/artists who love it, so it's not any sort of blight on their legacy even if some people (even a sizeable amount) don't like it. Too many people love the sh*t out of it for it to ding their legacy. Apples and oranges indeed.

I just want to know why people (not you, bonnevillemariner) who defend DIA '17 (there aren't many!) insist on ducking the question I posed above. It's seemingly unanswerable, so duck, dodge is the only option.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:08:39 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, although personally, I don't agree with it at all. I mean, I can understand why people would feel it's an embarrassment due to the raw nature of the backing tracks, and the sometimes clunky vocals, etc. It's VERY different than other BBs albums.

But yeah, it does have some VERY creative stuff on it, and I personally love the heck out of that album. Dearly, I do. And as HeyJude pointed out, it has many, many people and influential critics/artists who love it, so it's not any sort of blight on their legacy even if some people (even a sizeable amount) don't like it. Too many people love the sh*t out of it for it to ding their legacy. Apples and oranges indeed.

I just want to know why people (not you, bonnevillemariner) who defend DIA '17 (there aren't many!) insist on ducking the question I posed above. It's seemingly unanswerable, so duck, dodge is the only option.

Kreen called it crap, so I'm not sure how you consider that defending the song.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2017, 12:29:26 PM »

Kreen called it crap, so I'm not sure how you consider that defending the song.

It's one thing conceding that it's not a good remake, it's another to take the additional step of stating that it should never have been made and is an absolute, utter embarrassment to the band/brand (I honestly cannot understand how any fan won't bring themselves to say that), as opposed to grasping at straws to find an excuse, saying that it's okay or justifiable somehow because one random dude in the middle of the country likes that version of the song.

Maybe some people privately think that it's an incredible embarrassment of unimaginable levels, but don't want to publicly say it lest they be accused of "bashing"; but ultimately it's just being honest. It's not an overreaction, it's *that* bad.  I hate the idea that fans should play "soft" to excuse unimaginably terrible stuff like this. It's not like we can simply wish it to not exist and cause the song to evaporate from existence, but I just think people should be more honest about how much it sucks, and how shameful its release is for the brand.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:38:54 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx