gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:09:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 63998 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:23 PM »

I read somewhere -- possibly from one of the musicians (Brett Simons?) that the two Scott Bennett co-writes on NPP were meant for Love and Mercy and that Brian was originally supposed to provide more original material for the soundtrack. You can imagine Brian and Scott sorting through the archives and crafting new things for the movie out of old snippets and instrumentals.

Regardless of the tantalizing possibilities, those plans shifted and the sessions all went toward the album instead. Left unsaid in all of this is that I suspect Scott is the uncredited co-producer on those two songs -- they sound markedly different than the other material on the record. (And, of course, One Kind of Love ended up in the movie anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:07:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2017, 05:12:14 PM »

Instead of searching through this thread for the direct link, a few minutes ago I went to look this video up on YouTube by typing in "Mike Love Do...", and it's sad that it immediately defaulted to auto-fill in a couple of other more popular suggested options prior to "Mike Love Do it Again".

I'm thinking it might be wise for Mike's people to suggest a change to YouTube's algorithm, because people who innocently search for this song on YouTube are gonna see these suggestions first.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:19:44 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »

Mike did it again to his rep... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »

Too bad he couldn't get Bart Simpson on this
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »

I'm thinking it might be wise for Mike's people to suggest a change to YouTube's algorithm he not constantly give people reasons to think he's a douche, because people who innocently search for this song on YouTube are gonna see these suggestions first.

Fixed that for ya Wink

It's crazy to think that three out of the five suggestions are downright negative for Mike.

Mods, I vaguely remember a rule where you can't mess with other people's quotes, if this is a violation I understand if it's deleted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:39:25 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »

This is pure garbage.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2017, 01:06:47 AM »

I let my ten year old listen to it. I wish I'd done one of those reaction videos. I *think* she said "what the what", but I'm not so sure. She said it kind of low,  but I can't get after her if I didn't hear it clearly, right?

So besides her possibly cursing,  she had some thoughts about it...

1) She said it sounded like it was sung by Siri
2) It sounded like parts of the 2012 version were sampled  (or as she put it, (copy pasted).

My wife's thoughts are probably not suitable for print

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2017, 03:19:01 AM »

even for a 10 year old, I think that would be appropriate in this instance.  LOL
she's only telling it as it is!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:19:58 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2017, 05:23:58 AM »

1) She said it sounded like it was sung by Siri

LOL this is the best joke about the track LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2017, 05:25:44 AM »

Oh my god!!!! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2017, 10:11:30 AM »

Siri!  Cheesy

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »

"And the children know the way, their song is love"- BW was onto something in surf's up! Cool Guy

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »

I think even with the uptick in attention the PBS TV show gave this "single", it's not exactly burning up even the online digital charts. It's currently ranked #1,089 in albums and #1,145 in songs (the single track is both an "album" and an individual song the way things are cataloged there).

Meanwhile "Sunshine Tomorrow" is still #22 on the CD chart on Amazon (it's also #516 in digital album sales; but this is probably because the digital download is inexplicably nearly twice as expensive as the physical CD set).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »

"And the children know the way, their song is love"- BW was onto something in surf's up! Cool Guy

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2017, 12:14:54 PM »

Child is the father of the man!  Grin

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »

I think even with the uptick in attention the PBS TV show gave this "single", it's not exactly burning up even the online digital charts. It's currently ranked #1,089 in albums and #1,145 in songs (the single track is both an "album" and an individual song the way things are cataloged there).

Meanwhile "Sunshine Tomorrow" is still #22 on the CD chart on Amazon (it's also #516 in digital album sales; but this is probably because the digital download is inexplicably nearly twice as expensive as the physical CD set).

I don't think anyone realistically expected it to burn up the charts.  Two days into its release, it has 1,237 streams on Spotify.  In comparison, Wild Honey had about 10,000 streams two days into the Sunshine Tomorrow release.  Aside from that, nobody even knew about it until a few hours before its release.  If Mike ever does get a solo album together, I expect it would do a fair amount better than this "single".
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »

Curious how you'd respond to this list.

The original post I was replying to appeared to suggest that Brian's tremendously poor artistic decisions should be validated or elevated by Mike's tremendously poor artistic decisions.

My response to your post: virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians. Only super fanboys think about any of the points that you listed. "At least Brian's music is newly written" is a total fallacy that I'm seriously not interested in engaging with. Bad music is bad music. The irony is lost on anyone who believes this new Mike Love single is something reprehensible but thinks NPP advances the case for Brian Wilson: Musical Artist. For the majority opinion of how NPP contributed to his legacy, consult the exceptionally honest Tiny Mix Tapes review. (For the record, I disagree with some aspects of the piece, but the general sentiment is dead-on.)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2017, 01:32:44 PM »

With all due respect, that reviewer can do f*** themselves....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:33:38 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »

Finally built up the courage to listen to Mike's track ...sweet Jesus... as a Brit I don't really know who Stamos and McGrath are but I guess the nearest Brit equivalent would be if Mick Jagger was to release a single with Dean Gaffney and Joey Essex.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2017, 02:57:00 PM »

The original post I was replying to appeared to suggest that Brian's tremendously poor artistic decisions should be validated or elevated by Mike's tremendously poor artistic decisions.

My response to your post: virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians. Only super fanboys think about any of the points that you listed. "At least Brian's music is newly written" is a total fallacy that I'm seriously not interested in engaging with. Bad music is bad music. The irony is lost on anyone who believes this new Mike Love single is something reprehensible but thinks NPP advances the case for Brian Wilson: Musical Artist. For the majority opinion of how NPP contributed to his legacy, consult the exceptionally honest Tiny Mix Tapes review. (For the record, I disagree with some aspects of the piece, but the general sentiment is dead-on.)

I appreciate the reply. But while I'll admit there are MANY issues with NPP (I'll honestly state that I have some major problems with its vocal production,  the over-abundance of Autotune and guest stars, and unlike some people, I feel no need to downplay how much these things bug me just because it's a BW album)... there are also some genuinely very solid moments on the album too.  

I can honestly say that I feel Brian put some love and well-meaning effort into the songs... especially the song about his wife which was then nominated for a Golden Globe. (Not that such a nomination automatically makes it worthy of praise - lots of turds get nominated for awards - but this happens to be a solid tune).

One Kind of Love is a great tune, one of the best of Brian's solo catalog. On the Island is a rad one too. I certainly dig This Beautiful Day. None of those songs are anything remotely approaching outright embarrassments. IMHO. And there are also other songs on NPP with some very good parts about them, even if they are dragged down in one way or another to varying degrees.

On the other hand, there isn't one single solitary thing about this new Do It Again '17 remake that doesn't suck and isn't gag-inducing.

Equating NPP to the Do It Again '17 remake would only make sense if NPP consisted entirely of remakes/remixes/re-recordings of Smart Girls. Like 13 of them in a row... if that were the *entire* album. And if Brian proudly touted Dave Coulier as a guest star on all of the tracks.

Then - and only then - could we talk about it being in the same ballpark of sucktitude. C'mon; there truly is no comparison, even if one is dead honest about the faults of NPP.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:11:12 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2017, 02:58:00 PM »

virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians.

That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement and assumption. Please don't speak for any large group of fans.

I was probably more critical of NPP than a lot of folks here, and even I would never lump NPP in with Mike's new single.

Anybody that is *that* dismissive of apparently *anything* these guys put out solo aren't going to care enough to even know about these projects or purchase them.

"At least Brian's music is newly written" is a total fallacy that I'm seriously not interested in engaging with. Bad music is bad music. The irony is lost on anyone who believes this new Mike Love single is something reprehensible but thinks NPP advances the case for Brian Wilson: Musical Artist.

To go in reverse order here, saying NPP isn't nearly as bad as Mike's single isn't the same as saying NPP "advances the case" for Brian's career. Bad music is bad music, good is good, middling is middling, etc. You can't say "bad is bad", but then extend the criteria for something good to mean that it isn't just "good", but "advances the case" for one's career.

Brian's music being newly-written is not a fallacy. It's fact. Yes, some if not much of it came from the late 90s, but in this context "newly written" means "not previously released", and that's were Mike's DIA remake is far, far different.

For the majority opinion of how NPP contributed to his legacy, consult the exceptionally honest Tiny Mix Tapes review. (For the record, I disagree with some aspects of the piece, but the general sentiment is dead-on.)

Majority opinion? What makes this hatchet job review the "majority opinion?" The album got middling reviews in many quarters, but even then I wouldn't say *this* particular review represents the "majority opinion" of the album or Brian's career.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:47:31 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »

virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians.

That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement and assumption. Please don't speak for any large group of fans.

I wouldn't say NPP is equally disposable as Mike's new turd-- not by a long shot, but do I think it's groundbreaking? Nah. Are those tracks among Brian's career best? No way. I listen to that album quite a bit, but I don't for a second think it's consequential to his career or legacy.

What's funny/sad about this new single is I couldn't find it on Spotify last night by searching 'Mike Love.' (Actually, searching Mike's name returns some other artist with that name.) I eventually found it by searching "John Stamos."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2017, 05:17:26 PM »

Not even comparable. Grasping at straws by the weak here is all that is.

Sure, there's crap on it. Runaway Dancer...Our Special Love...

BUT, Mike's single isn't even deserving of being mentioned in the same sentence as the rest of NPP.

Mike Love wishes he had something like "The Right Time" in 2017.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2017, 05:33:03 PM »

Mike wishes he had something as good as an album of chipmunk darts in 2017, if this garbage is anything to go by.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2017, 05:39:27 PM »

Are you fair dinkum mate?

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx