gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:01:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64015 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »

I can't imagine that anyone is going to like or buy this. In my curiosity, I went to Mike's Facebook page, where of course he's promoting the single. Unfortunately the comments won't load for me. I wonder what people are saying.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/

Comments won't load for me either....though I saw one and it was pretty negative. Haven't ventured to the BS board in ages but I'm glad it appears they too can't even scrape the bottom of the barrel to defend this, err, 'song'.

Also, agreed with Craig "or a group huddle will be called and we'll start getting talking points and complaints of "Mike bashing" in the near future." - no doubt this will happen. The irony being that Mike can't seem to do one interview where he doesn't bash some aspect of Brian's life, but people justifiably pointing out what a farce this song is will piss him off.

Like others have said: at least Brian tries. He, along with collaborators, explored different ground for NPP to try and make a #1 hit. They made some really cool music along the way. Hopefully Mike will one day set aside his childish "room" excuse and realize that in life sometimes you can't get what you want and you have to adapt. That's called being an adult...and people will more likely want to see your point of view when you act like an adult. Until then, good luck topping the charts with your buddies McGrath and Stamos.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »

Quick, someone photoshop Guy Fieri into that photo!

LOL
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »

1. Bruce's contribution - recycled a rejected disco drum track from "Here Comes the Night" for this gem.

2. Mike managed to obtain and use the auto-tune presets from Cher's 1998 smash hit "Believe". Be a stroke of commercial genius if this were 1999.

3. In an "I'll show you Brian" moment, Mike has countered the Blonde/Al Jardine vocal duo with Stamos and Mark McGrath. Well played sir.

Taken all together, what could go wrong?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 05:25:11 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »

Remember Rolling Stone last year?

The Ballad of Mike Love
A Beach Boy asks, "Why am I the villain?"

LOL

Surfrider. That 'Brian Moment?' I'm thinking 'sh!t on a plate' handed to Murry.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:00:25 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2017, 06:55:23 PM »

Literally, this is emblematic of a sickness. The shooting-yourself-in-the-foot kind. How many chances does Mike have left to gain respect have that he keeps squandering?
Seriously, this is some bizzarre pathological sh*t which I cannot wrap my head around.  Someone could write a psychological college thesis paper on this behavior, of  why this particular song would be released at this exact moment in time.

Baffling.

Self sabotage. How many times have Mike's solo albums been shelved? Does he think he's going to entice a record company or get respectable sales/plays with this or Santa's Going To Kokomo? There were so many other options. Put out Pisces Brothers or something, it's certainly not as bad as this. Or actually be proud of Sunshine Tomorrow, do an interesting remake of one of those tracks as a single then you have an excuse to play a relatively obscure (though tied to an acclaimed 'new' Beach Boys release) at tonight's concert. Great promo for the old band, the current band and for Mike as a solo artist.

No, Do It Ad Nauseam with Stamos and some other has-been. Nice one.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »

This makes having front row tickets next month a little bit harder to get excited about. I hope there isn't a whole album of this sh*t out before that gig for him to plug...
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »

The Ballad of Mike Love

LOL

speaking of Murry, i wish Love and Mercy had depicted that moment when, not unlike King Kong, he got naked and stood atop the Wilson kitchen table and bellowed, "i'm king of this family!"  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:27 PM »

The Ballad of Mike Love

LOL

That turd given to Murry might have sounded better hitting the plate than this ungodly horror.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »

Folks. The legacy is safe. If "My Ding-A-Ling" did nothing to make even the slightest dent in Chuck Berry's reputation*, this fly-by-night affair by one original band member certainly won't do it for The Beach Boys.

* Indeed, Chuck's the only rock'n'roll or even pop artist with a track ("Johnny B. Goode") on the Voyager Golden Record, now out there in interstellar space.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2017, 03:24:50 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.

What is the difference, really? Are you really that much more happy to hear Robot Brian singing over a Kenny G. version of Summer Means New Love?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2017, 04:14:13 AM »

Crap.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2017, 06:21:48 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.

What is the difference, really? Are you really that much more happy to hear Robot Brian singing over a Kenny G. version of Summer Means New Love?

I don't want to speak for Wirestone, but I got the impression he was referring more to the "guest star" aspect of it, and how a number of folks critical of Brian were honing in back in 2015 on the guest vocalist aspect of the NPP.

As in, some people harped on it so much that Brian made the relatively rare move to post a statement online telling people to chill the f**k out and let him make his album the way he wants to.

So, as I previously mentioned, not only would I say that Mike's new "single" is of a similar format (and at least a few seemingly "pro-Mike" folks were coming down hard on Brian for the guest star aspect back then), I would take the extra step of suggesting that Brian's "guest spots" were more artistically interesting because they involved new compositions and/or collaborations, and hand-picking vocalists to sing some new songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2017, 06:26:25 AM »

I can't imagine that anyone is going to like or buy this. In my curiosity, I went to Mike's Facebook page, where of course he's promoting the single. Unfortunately the comments won't load for me. I wonder what people are saying.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/

Almost all of the comments are actually really positive and encouraging. Weird, I know LOL

Someone running Mike's Facebook page *strictly* monitors it and removes comments that could even be interpreted as the slightest bit critical of Mike.

A ways back, Mike put up a stupid post contending that "angry Beach Boys fans" back in 1983 mounted a more impressive protest than actual environmental protestors did back at that time, and I posted a quick post pointing out how wrong that was for numerous reasons (not the least of which was that the BBs weren't exactly A-listers in 1983 and "Beach Boys fans" weren't marching in the streets or anything), and the comment was removed *within minutes.* My comment wasn't even a direct indictment of Mike, and they still removed it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »

I think this sort of thing reinforces what we already know, which is that this is h ow Mike rolls. This is what he *likes*. He'd much rather be hanging with Stamos and McGrath than having to be on stage with Brian or Al, where there might have to be a bit of deference (and really, that's only the case with Brian; Al wouldn't even require that).

Look, I think it's important and quite telling that in the same week an amazing 1967 compilation was released, Mike remade "Do It Again" *again* with two tacky guys as guest stars (and since when did the *drummer* get co-billing on a single? Hal Blaine *and* John Cowsill are pissed right now!  LOL ) . But I get it, a quickie set for a 4th of July gig is never going to be the place to bust out "A Thing or Two." I think what's going on here is simply an ironic contrast between two disparate elements of BB fandom and brand-building.

I do think ideally that BRI would put a bit of a tighter leash on how Mike uses the *trademark brand/band name* to plus his solo stuff. Yes, he releases it under his own name. But he *is* blurring that line a little bit (by referring to a "we" or "us" when referring to solo releases, and by *exclusively* playing his solo stuff at "Beach Boys" concerts), and if nothing else is using a powerful trademark to promote his mediocre solo stuff. It's not the same as Carl doing a track from his album in 1983; back then no single member was licensing the BB name.

But I think with the new team and new president in place at BRI, what they probably end up having to do is focus on the archives. Ideally BRI will continue to make things fair for all the corporate band members as well, but Mike can do ten albums with Guy Fieri if he wants if Jerry Schilling and Edelson/Boyd/Linett can continue to make archival releases happen.

Ok, I totally missed this--Schilling is now at BRI? Help me out here please

Reposting my question about BRI. Info please?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »

I would take the extra step of suggesting that Brian's "guest spots" were more artistically interesting because they involved new compositions and/or collaborations, and hand-picking vocalists to sing some new songs.

You must not have heard the new "DO IT. DO IT. DO IT." chant repeated about 200 times in this single...talk about a bold creative statement!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »

Jerry Schilling is listed as the president of BRI in the 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow booklet.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2017, 08:13:39 AM »

I think this sort of thing reinforces what we already know, which is that this is h ow Mike rolls. This is what he *likes*. He'd much rather be hanging with Stamos and McGrath than having to be on stage with Brian or Al, where there might have to be a bit of deference (and really, that's only the case with Brian; Al wouldn't even require that).

Look, I think it's important and quite telling that in the same week an amazing 1967 compilation was released, Mike remade "Do It Again" *again* with two tacky guys as guest stars (and since when did the *drummer* get co-billing on a single? Hal Blaine *and* John Cowsill are pissed right now!  LOL ) . But I get it, a quickie set for a 4th of July gig is never going to be the place to bust out "A Thing or Two." I think what's going on here is simply an ironic contrast between two disparate elements of BB fandom and brand-building.

I do think ideally that BRI would put a bit of a tighter leash on how Mike uses the *trademark brand/band name* to plus his solo stuff. Yes, he releases it under his own name. But he *is* blurring that line a little bit (by referring to a "we" or "us" when referring to solo releases, and by *exclusively* playing his solo stuff at "Beach Boys" concerts), and if nothing else is using a powerful trademark to promote his mediocre solo stuff. It's not the same as Carl doing a track from his album in 1983; back then no single member was licensing the BB name.

But I think with the new team and new president in place at BRI, what they probably end up having to do is focus on the archives. Ideally BRI will continue to make things fair for all the corporate band members as well, but Mike can do ten albums with Guy Fieri if he wants if Jerry Schilling and Edelson/Boyd/Linett can continue to make archival releases happen.

Not much else known right now publicly beyond the fact that Schilling is listed as BRI President in the new CD set's booklet. I'd say this is hopefully/potentially a great move, and could prove to be momentous and the best things fans could have asked for.

What will be interesting to see is how much Schilling can enact on the archive side of things (this is where help is needed the most, and requires less of the shareholders who just have to let Edelson/Boyd/Linett do their thing and the shareholders can collect the check), versus how much Schilling will play a role in the branding/marketing side of things, and related to that, how he will handle or impact the interpersonal issues among the shareholders and specifically Mike using the trademark to tour, etc.

I'm guessing good PR and branding folks would tell Mike his "Do It Again" single is kind of lame both in terms of timing and execution, but it's early days right now for Schilling I would imagine, and one has to pick their battles, and Mike can't be controlled anyway as far as doing his solo stuff. It's probably better to not bug Mike and let him do his tacky solo side stuff with Stamos.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:32:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2017, 09:15:30 AM »

Or actually be proud of Sunshine Tomorrow, do an interesting remake of one of those tracks as a single then you have an excuse to play a relatively obscure (though tied to an acclaimed 'new' Beach Boys release) at tonight's concert. Great promo for the old band, the current band and for Mike as a solo artist.

Actually, maybe the nauseating "do it!" chants over and over and over and over and over and over again are a subtle tip of the hat the the "do it!" at the start of "Little Pad", featured in backing-track only form on Sunshine Tomorrow. Must've been Love's plan all along to do a ST tie-in.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:20:54 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »

I'm guessing good PR and branding folks would tell Mike his "Do It Again" single is kind of lame both in terms of timing and execution, but it's early days right now for Schilling I would imagine, and one has to pick their battles, and Mike can't be controlled anyway as far as doing his solo stuff. It's probably better to not bug Mike and let him do his tacky solo side stuff with Stamos.

Mike cannot be controlled. I think that's he's made that known. Deprive him of "The BBs" name for releasing studio recordings? He uses the "we" term to make people think he means "The BBs" in his Facebook post, and gets new hats made to get around any controlling rule imposed on him. He'll try to get away with absolutely anything that he thinks he can.

I'd like to hear him asked about how he feels about his lack of ability to release studio songs under "The BBs" name. I'm sure it must bug him a ton. He surely feels he deserves to, and that it's some sort of injustice that he can't.

I wonder how many "Mike Love" hats he had manufactured. And that heart in place of the "o" in "Love"... bwwhahahahahahahaha

Another thing I want to know is, how did Mike get away with actually using the drum sample from the original BBs studio recording? With Dennis playing, no less. Does Mike have to pay or get permission to use that sample? Yet another way he tries to blur the line and make people think they are getting "BBs" product.

This version sucks SUCH ass it's remarkable. The look on my coworkers' faces this morning when I played it in the office was a sight to behold.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:23:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »

I'm not a fan of the Joe Thomas vocal production whatsoever, and it bugs me greatly to hear robot-sounding Brian on modern recordings, too.

But at least Brian's not:

-remaking the same song that he remade and released for the THIRD time in the last few years

-tastelessly remaking a song that was specifically just separately remade and used for The Beach Boys reunion in a "we're all together again, ain't it sweet?" kind of way, thus sh*tting on any fans who had made that emotional connection to that song when used in a remade modern context

-using TRULY embarrassing hack guest stars (I guess it's subject to opinion how much someone likes or hates Brian's guest stars on NPP... I'm not a fan of many of them, but none are remotely as embarrassing as the DOUBLE SHOT of a Full House actor and Mark McGrath  LOL)

-I despise non-transparent Autotune usage with every fiber of my being, and that goes for Brian, Al, Mike, or any non BBs artist...yet as bad as some of its usage is on some of Brian's material, this is a FAR, FAR worse hackjob (and by Mike, who had the chutzpah to hypocritically and laughably diss Brian for using Autotune in an interview)

-releasing a turd of such epic proportions within 3 days (!) of one of the greatest reissues that THE ENTIRE BBs' BAND should take pride of and focus on promoting

-at least remaking Summer Means New Love has *some* artistic purpose, something potentially interesting to bring to the table, to see what a song like that instrumental tune would sound like with lyrics, which for all we know might have been floating around in Brian's head for that song way back in the day. I don't love the NPP version, but it's at least an *attempt* at something of quantifiably more potential artistic value than Mike's laughable new release

Those are just some of the differences. There are more. Curious how you'd respond to this list.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:40:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »

Don't feed the troll. If someone truly can't tell the difference between a Mike solo single version of Do It Again with McGrath and Stamos and Brian's "Somewhere Quiet," which is the actual title of the bonus track in question, he or she is willfully ignorant. (And for those who actually care, the song was an extra on the deluxe edition of No Pier Pressure, co-written with Scott Bennett, and originally intended for Love and Mercy movie as a flashback-style thing.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:14:44 AM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »

Well, you gotta give Mike credit for one thing. ..for once this board and the people at the PS forum (even clowns like Mike's Beard, although I don't know if his troll account here would admit it) are in agreement that this sucks. When even Andrew Doe can't defend his boss, you know this is awful

Shocking indeed, although I already see some mitigating (e.g. comparing this Mike remake to Brian remakes or Al remaking BB songs on his solo album, which is frankly an insulting comparison for a myriad of reasons).

But yeah, it's bad when the foremost Mike defender of all time on the internet can only muster this about the new Mike single: "It is not the worse [sic] thing I have ever heard."

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2017, 11:29:22 AM »

Yikes, Cam Mott is pissed... Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

Don't feed the troll. If someone truly can't tell the difference between a Mike solo single version of Do It Again with McGrath and Stamos and Brian's "Somewhere Quiet," which is the actual title of the bonus track in question, he or she is willfully ignorant. (And for those who actually care, the song was an extra on the deluxe edition of No Pier Pressure, co-written with Scott Bennett, and originally intended for Love and Mercy movie as a flashback-style thing.)

Well let's not rule out the possibility that this single could be used for Mike's documentary that is due out...um, a couple years ago?

In all seriousness, I never knew that about 'Somewhere Quiet', or I forgot. I would've loved to have heard that in the movie somewhere!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »

Maybe the house scene with Melinda and then it fades into a 1960s scene with "SMNL"

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx