gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 63941 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2017, 09:05:59 AM »

I mean, geez. At least Brian tries.

Mike is like the man who decides, after finding no woman is willing to date him, to head to the cemetery and start defiling corpses.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.

It is currently 11:40 am here, but I am opening a beer and offering a toast to you, sir. Perfectly said. Cheers!

And this:
 w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Let me add those same people can go heartily f*** themselves in general for many reasons.

Looks like GF beat me to the punch in complimenting Wirestone's spot on comment. Thank you both! I've got to say that I'm feeling a slight sense of validation after reading comments on the boards concerning this rancid cash in by my favorite clown. I even skipped breakfast to soak in the so deserved negative comments regarding this latest attempt by the lovester to cash in once again and further destroy the legacy. Someone said that he's gone too far this time and I so agree. It's well beyond time to take the name away and call it a day.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:23:44 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »

Literally, this is emblematic of a sickness. The shooting-yourself-in-the-foot kind. How many chances does Mike have left to gain respect have that he keeps squandering?

This specific moment in time, with the Sunshine Tomorrow reissue, *has* to be THE last chance he had at any critical reevaluation and respect.  Because that album was really the last time he was totally kicking ass within the band, on the entirety of a whole project. And on a BB project that just happened to largely be neglected and unknown/underappreciated by most people in the general public, which was ripe for rediscovery.  

WH was the underdog of BBs albums. Mike was set to be the comeback kid for at least some decent measure of critical respect with ST, no joke.

This was it. There are no more unreleased items like that with in the catalog. Sure, there might be isolated songs here or there that are really awesome, or other entire albums like Friends/Sunflower are awesome, but no other entire albums which he was a main contributing factor to, that could possibly make critics take notice to ponder if maybe they had unfairly written off his contributions to the band.

Of course, I took notice in the liner notes of ST how Mike continues to repeatedly pump up how he and Brian complement each other, to continue to remind everybody and their mother of the implication that Brian really, really needed Mike in order to flower as an artist.  I knew he was still on a wild ego kick, but I just shrugged and tried to enjoy the music,  hoping that he would actually still get a good measure of well-deserved critical respect from reviewers, despite coming off sounding like an ass by egotistically pumping himself up in the liners.

But now this. This is going to be plastered all over the place. It's just a fucking joke of epic proportions on so many levels. The moment Mike gets people to like him, he ruins it instantly. There was literally three days of time while ST was released prior to this abomination being unleashed.   Again, fans be damned who made any kind of emotional connection to the song and C50. Screw them.  And screw BB fans who don't want their favorite BB songs ruined by TV show sitcom stars and assclown 90s has beens.

Seriously, this is some bizzarre pathological sh*t which I cannot wrap my head around.  Someone could write a psychological college thesis paper on this behavior, of  why this particular song would be released at this exact moment in time.

Baffling.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:02:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.

Exactly

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »

Well, you gotta give Mike credit for one thing. ..for once this board and the people at the PS forum (even clowns like Mike's Beard, although I don't know if his troll account here would admit it) are in agreement that this sucks. When even Andrew Doe can't defend his boss, you know this is awful
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:59:12 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »

Even those most skilled in the art of bullshit and spin-doctoring reach a point where the bullshit runs out and all that's left is the hard truth. History being any indication, either the losses will be cut and a disappearing act or the ignorance card will occur (wow, I had no idea! That kind of thing), or a group huddle will be called and we'll start getting talking points and complaints of "Mike bashing" in the near future.

If people don't see it all laid out on the table by now, they either don't want to see it or they've been sold so much bullshit over the years that they can't see it.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »

Don't forget that a live version is coming tonight
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:43 AM »

Here's the full track:

https://youtu.be/o_JcpR_NTvk

This has either been pulled or is unavailable in my country. Is it anywhere else online?

You must live in the smartest country on Earth.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »

I think this sort of thing reinforces what we already know, which is that this is h ow Mike rolls. This is what he *likes*. He'd much rather be hanging with Stamos and McGrath than having to be on stage with Brian or Al, where there might have to be a bit of deference (and really, that's only the case with Brian; Al wouldn't even require that).

Look, I think it's important and quite telling that in the same week an amazing 1967 compilation was released, Mike remade "Do It Again" *again* with two tacky guys as guest stars (and since when did the *drummer* get co-billing on a single? Hal Blaine *and* John Cowsill are pissed right now!  LOL ) . But I get it, a quickie set for a 4th of July gig is never going to be the place to bust out "A Thing or Two." I think what's going on here is simply an ironic contrast between two disparate elements of BB fandom and brand-building.

I do think ideally that BRI would put a bit of a tighter leash on how Mike uses the *trademark brand/band name* to plus his solo stuff. Yes, he releases it under his own name. But he *is* blurring that line a little bit (by referring to a "we" or "us" when referring to solo releases, and by *exclusively* playing his solo stuff at "Beach Boys" concerts), and if nothing else is using a powerful trademark to promote his mediocre solo stuff. It's not the same as Carl doing a track from his album in 1983; back then no single member was licensing the BB name.

But I think with the new team and new president in place at BRI, what they probably end up having to do is focus on the archives. Ideally BRI will continue to make things fair for all the corporate band members as well, but Mike can do ten albums with Guy Fieri if he wants if Jerry Schilling and Edelson/Boyd/Linett can continue to make archival releases happen.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »

Baffling.

THAT's not how you spell barfing.  Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2017, 10:45:55 AM »

I have mixed feelings about the NPP album, but yeah, Brian also put a lot more thought into those guest spots. Musgraves and Sebu actually collaborated with him (and Musgraves is an accomplished writer in her genre), and the Deschanel and Ruess vocals were given to them because their voices suited the songs.

And *all* of those collaborations were of *new* songs.

I'm not even as huge of fan of the song "Do It Again" as other fans. I like it, but especially as years went on, I've found it one of the more tedious tracks at live shows. But I'm also sure a tiny bit of the annoyance at Mike dusting the song off so often (or not dusting it off because he's not letting it collect dust!) has to do with how it harkens back to the early, positive days of the C50 project.

I imagine I also would have been disappointed if, say, McCartney had prematurely canceled the "Beatles Anthology" project and within a couple years remade "Free As A Bird" multiple times, including a duet with Cliff Richard or Sporty Spice or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »

Let's not be too hard on ol' Mike, even Sir Paul's doing it! (again?)

Even that would be less annoying; Paul hasn't remade "Paperback Writer" twice already in the last five years; and he wouldn't be promoting it while touring as "The Beatles."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »

Well, at least the writer worked in a plug for "Sunshine Tomorrow." Though, I'm curious if the writer has actually listened to Mike's new single:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-mike-love-john-stamos-recreate-beach-boys-do-it-again-w490841

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:44 AM »

Connections can get you anything.

Worth noting that RS article lists a link to an article "Celebrities Who Completely Killed Their Careers In Seconds".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2017, 11:08:05 AM »

Stating again, the bullshit simply ran out and what's left is the hard truth. It's all on the table, whether people have been blinded by the bullshit over the decades or they don't want to see it laid out, it's all there on the table. From the fanbase to the actual actions to the whole ball of wax. It's hard to admit when you got bamboozled, but it's all on the table now. Almost all of it.

My kudos, and thanks, and a beer hoisted in tribute to everyone here and elsewhere across the fanbase (as few as that number may be) who had the balls to call it out in spite of the blow-back from doing so, and the need to walk on eggshells due to various interests. Cheers.  Beer

And again to Wirestone: Your words are more accurate and spot-on than some people will ever admit.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »

The hell with this.  I just wanna hear that "Britney Spears'" styled version of "Surfin'" they allegedly recorded back in the late 90's. 

Huh?!!!!!!

ok, you're joking, right? Don't make fun of me, you couldn't put it past them!

I wish I was.   Bruce used to threaten us with it in interviews back in the early 2000's.  Supposedly it played once on the radio.  I have never heard it though. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

Not to add any confusion to the thread, here is the version of “Do It Again” that was released last year on the CD set you could only get through PBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgCY0LznVw

Seems to have many elements in common with the version released today, but… a lot better, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:54:54 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2017, 12:48:38 PM »

Not to add any confusion to the thread, but here is the version of “Do It Again” that was released last year on the CD set you could only get through PBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgCY0LznVw

Seems to have many elements in common with the version released today, but… a lot better, in my opinion.

The fact that it had Brian Wilson, Alan Jardine, and David Marks makes it a million times better than having John Stamos and Mark Somebody.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »

Not to add any confusion to the thread, but here is the version of “Do It Again” that was released last year on the CD set you could only get through PBS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgCY0LznVw

The fact that it had Brian Wilson, Alan Jardine, and David Marks makes it a million times better than having John Stamos and Mark Somebody.

Looks like I did add some confusion. This is Mike solo and is different from the reunion recording.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:54:35 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »

I can't imagine that anyone is going to like or buy this. In my curiosity, I went to Mike's Facebook page, where of course he's promoting the single. Unfortunately the comments won't load for me. I wonder what people are saying.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »

I imagine I also would have been disappointed if, say, McCartney had prematurely canceled the "Beatles Anthology" project and within a couple years remade "Free As A Bird" multiple times, including a duet with Cliff Richard or Sporty Spice or something.

My former next-door neighbour once met Sporty Spice----on a sports field, would you believe. Don't think Cliff was there.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »

I think this sort of thing reinforces what we already know, which is that this is h ow Mike rolls. This is what he *likes*. He'd much rather be hanging with Stamos and McGrath than having to be on stage with Brian or Al, where there might have to be a bit of deference (and really, that's only the case with Brian; Al wouldn't even require that).

Look, I think it's important and quite telling that in the same week an amazing 1967 compilation was released, Mike remade "Do It Again" *again* with two tacky guys as guest stars (and since when did the *drummer* get co-billing on a single? Hal Blaine *and* John Cowsill are pissed right now!  LOL ) . But I get it, a quickie set for a 4th of July gig is never going to be the place to bust out "A Thing or Two." I think what's going on here is simply an ironic contrast between two disparate elements of BB fandom and brand-building.

I do think ideally that BRI would put a bit of a tighter leash on how Mike uses the *trademark brand/band name* to plus his solo stuff. Yes, he releases it under his own name. But he *is* blurring that line a little bit (by referring to a "we" or "us" when referring to solo releases, and by *exclusively* playing his solo stuff at "Beach Boys" concerts), and if nothing else is using a powerful trademark to promote his mediocre solo stuff. It's not the same as Carl doing a track from his album in 1983; back then no single member was licensing the BB name.

But I think with the new team and new president in place at BRI, what they probably end up having to do is focus on the archives. Ideally BRI will continue to make things fair for all the corporate band members as well, but Mike can do ten albums with Guy Fieri if he wants if Jerry Schilling and Edelson/Boyd/Linett can continue to make archival releases happen.

Ok, I totally missed this--Schilling is now at BRI? Help me out here please

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »

I can't imagine that anyone is going to like or buy this. In my curiosity, I went to Mike's Facebook page, where of course he's promoting the single. Unfortunately the comments won't load for me. I wonder what people are saying.

Almost all of the comments are actually really positive and encouraging. Weird, I know LOL
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2017, 01:22:31 PM »

Almost all of the comments are actually really positive and encouraging. Weird, I know LOL

Not weird. It's Mike's FB page.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

It's obvious!

Melinda Wilson re-fitted those autotune devices from 2012 prior to Mike, Stamos and McGrath arriving at the studio.

Bravo!   Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx