gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 63997 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »

Wait. What? Why? They JUST did Do It Again when the BBs reunited. Does Mike have an original idea in his head, ever? Every time Mike re-emerges into the market, it's Do It Again, because he's doing it again. Clever.

Ha good point! His follow up single to this should be called Do 'Do It Again' Again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »

Okay I really wanted to give this the benefit of the doubt, find the good parts and enjoy them. Mission impossible.

JK, be thankful this isn’t available in your country. I’m betting that it wasn’t a copyright issue at all; some diplomat probably got an early listen and decided it was in your country’s best interest to have this thing shitcanned before it could hit the airwaves. Mike’s gonna be out there with his own rickety pirate radio boat trying to get anyone to listen to this new single...you’ll never see more people come together in unity as they turn their radios off.

Seriously, Foskett sounds like he heard the final backing track and put in an equal amount of fucks as the musicians did. His voice sounds flat in places, and it sounds like he did everything in one take.

Also, Mark McGrath who?? Is he a huge Beach Boys fan or something?

“Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it” and the autotune. As the song progresses the autotune gets exponentially worse. “It makes your nighttime’s warm and outta sight” - At this point it reaches Joe Thomas’ ‘the-C50-can-go-straight-to-hell’ levels...Only somehow it surpasses Joe’s C50 album fuckery and enters a whole new bizarre universe of electronic blitzkrieg. Whoever had their hands on the autotune dial, expect a call from LucasFilms with a job offer from their robotics sound department.

Part of me hopes this isn’t tethered to a new album by Mike, because I don’t think the world is ready for this very unique sound. The other part of me could use a good laugh on par with ‘Summer In Paradise’.

To the guys who made that pathetic attempt to convince us that Carl produced most of Wild Honey: be thankful you didn’t instead choose Mike for that lie as after this single no one would believe he’s had any experience at all with production or a sound board.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2017, 06:21:37 AM »

Happy fucking birthday America indeed.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2017, 06:32:01 AM »

It occurs to me that had Mike been the leader of the Beach Boys, their entire career would have been remakes of Surfin' Safari, just to capture that sound (and dollar) again and again and again and again...
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

Wait. What? Why? They JUST did Do It Again when the BBs reunited. Does Mike have an original idea in his head, ever? Every time Mike re-emerges into the market, it's Do It Again, because he's doing it again. Clever.

This is the guy who has spent years convinced that if he and Brian just got into a room, they'd make a great hit. And yet, he keeps proving that he's out of ideas. He couldn't have tried to come up with something new?

Also, Mark McGrath hasn't had a hit in 20 years. I don't measure the quality of someone's output based on hits, but McGrath isn't exactly some wonderful underground musician either.

Yeah, I’m not getting the Do It Again schtick...are you planning on suing Brian again? Or giving away this album on QVC again because no one will buy it?

As for the Brian/piano/room thing: Mike proved this excuse was a complete farce in a recent interview when he whined about the room thing then went on to brag about how he wrote the lyrics to Good Vibrations in his car without Brian on the way to the studio. Mike must think the people reading his interviews are complete idiots who don’t give his statements a second thought outside of “wow Brian and his supposed handlers suck”.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »

This abomination can get f***ed.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »

surely someone is this SS community must like it? anybody lol?  Lips Sealed
KDS
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:36 AM »

surely someone is this SS community must like it? anybody lol?  Lips Sealed

Maybe somebody who was a teeny bopper in the late 90s who thought "Fly" was the greatest song ever. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:55 AM »

The hell with this.  I just wanna hear that "Britney Spears'" styled version of "Surfin'" they allegedly recorded back in the late 90's. 

Huh?!!!!!!

ok, you're joking, right? Don't make fun of me, you couldn't put it past them!

In the late 90s, Bruce mentioned that he was working on this.  I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was on the Beach Boys Britain message board.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2017, 07:42:06 AM »

That was awful. The autotune was slathered on with the technique of a drunk hot dog vendor putting on sabrett onions.
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2017, 07:52:28 AM »

Let's not be too hard on ol' Mike, even Sir Paul's doing it! (again?)

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »

The hell with this.  I just wanna hear that "Britney Spears'" styled version of "Surfin'" they allegedly recorded back in the late 90's. 

Huh?!!!!!!

ok, you're joking, right? Don't make fun of me, you couldn't put it past them!

In the late 90s, Bruce mentioned that he was working on this.  I can't remember where I read it, maybe it was on the Beach Boys Britain message board.

There's a little more about it here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=19328.25;wap2

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »

He does it for his own "nourishment and revenge".  He said it.  He does it.  Why is everyone so friggin' surprised?  It's a litany of wrong moves...always made over and over and...over.  Do it again is the follically challenged cousin's mantra.  "Nourishment and revenge" the driving force.

I used to suggest that the festering mess known as Mike Love needed a PR company to set him on a course which would work for HIM first and the "brand" second.  He wants no part of that.  He's just a tad [or 3] sick.  Sick with envy, jealousy, short dick syndrome and an oh-so-expanded view of his own talent and abilities.

The only thing that will help this loyalty challenged doofus from being the on-going goofus he obviously is is to retire him him from fronting the Beached Boys.  His service was long ago rendered.  Now?  He's just a gigantic sh*t...wearing a hat.

[And no...I did not, would not and will not listen to it.  Why would I f*** with something which was once considered to be really, REALLY good?  Eh Mike?]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »

JK, be thankful this isn’t available in your country. I’m betting that it wasn’t a copyright issue at all; some diplomat probably got an early listen and decided it was in your country’s best interest to have this thing shitcanned before it could hit the airwaves.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »

Don't do it again! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2017, 08:31:16 AM »

Can't get myself to listen to this. Don't want to ruin the holiday.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2017, 08:35:28 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »

Let's not be too hard on ol' Mike, even Sir Paul's doing it! (again?)

For the win! EXACTLY!

Like I said, can anyone name another artist with the stature of the Beach Boys who would put out something like this DIA rerecord in 2017? No less with some clown doing that nu-metal "DO IT, DO IT..." bullshit throughout the track?

Mike could call Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit to join McGrath next time, maybe they can do Pisces Brothers and the Durst/McGrath vocal duo can yell "I MISS YA", "HARE KRISHNA", "PRECIOUS MOMENTS" and various Unnhhh and Huhhhh grunts in between Mike's vocals.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »

Every single person who criticized Brian for having She & Him, Kacey Musgraves, Sebu and Nate Ruess guesting on his solo album can now officially go heartily f*** themselves.

It is currently 11:40 am here, but I am opening a beer and offering a toast to you, sir. Perfectly said. Cheers!

And this:
 w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Let me add those same people can go heartily f*** themselves in general for many reasons.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »

Wirestone is a legend! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »

Never mind the autotune for now...DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! Oh, FEELS GOOD!

What the serious f*** is this?

Haha, I was just about to say the same thing. Sounds like Stamos to me. Just what the song always needed, huh? Maybe someone on the other side of him was telling somebody not to drive because they were too drunk. "Do it, do it! Yeah! HUnh!"

Anyway who really gives a sh*t. It'll be forgotten in 2 weeks along with NASCAR and Santa's Going To Do Some Blow.

Just keep repeating to yourself SUNSHINE TOMORROW. SUNSHINE TOMORROW. SUNSHINE TOMORROW. There. Better.

It is sad that Mike must just throw his hands up and go, 'sure' at any opportunity. I mean who is this for? Is this......is this for us?! Does he think we want this? Does he think a super casual fan will go 'hey, I love that one Beach Boys song 'Do It Again'' and will go on Spotify and THIS will be the version they listen to? Do It Again...and Again....And Again...And....hey, isn't doing this and expecting different results the dictionary definition of insanity? Sweet insanity.

f*** me this is awful. I'm actually listening. Ugh. Lordy. Beautiful new archival release out showcasing TBB as a band to be taken seriously and this steaming sweaty thrice regurgitated turd has to be laid over the top of it.

Mike, it's time for a bit of an intervention mate. Wearing your own band's merch is naff enough but when it comes to solo....? You look like your mam was scared one of the school bullies would nick your hat so she stitched your name into it and got a bit carried away cause of her needlepoint class.

Here's a bit of a poser for everyone - what would it take for Mike Love to accept that the Beach Boys fanbase don't actually like John Stamos. At all? He's barely even famous anymore. At this point it'd be like if Paul McCartney wheeled out Tony Danza and expected a reception that would bring the roof in while he let him sing lead on one of George's cuts.

This

I wonder if the Kokomaoist response to that question would be "when Brian stops bringing John Cusack onstage."

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »

Dellydel, thank you for making my Fourth that much more enjoyable LOL

Wirestone and Guitarfool, you guys are spot on. Though in the case of Brian's collaborators on NPP, at least most people have heard of those artists.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:25 AM »

This. X 1000.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »

Too bad "the captain" is MIA and can't do a faux-fillaplage post again. Wink

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »

sad.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx