gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:21:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64011 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »

Here's the full track:

https://youtu.be/o_JcpR_NTvk

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »

Never mind the autotune for now...DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! Oh, FEELS GOOD!

What the serious f*** is this?

Did I wake up in 1997 after drinking the latest reissue of Zima clear malt?

Protect that brand.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »

Never mind the autotune for now...DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! Oh, FEELS GOOD!

What the serious f*** is this?

Haha, I was just about to say the same thing. Sounds like Stamos to me. Just what the song always needed, huh? Maybe someone on the other side of him was telling somebody not to drive because they were too drunk. "Do it, do it! Yeah! HUnh!"

Anyway who really gives a sh*t. It'll be forgotten in 2 weeks along with NASCAR and Santa's Going To Do Some Blow.

Just keep repeating to yourself SUNSHINE TOMORROW. SUNSHINE TOMORROW. SUNSHINE TOMORROW. There. Better.

It is sad that Mike must just throw his hands up and go, 'sure' at any opportunity. I mean who is this for? Is this......is this for us?! Does he think we want this? Does he think a super casual fan will go 'hey, I love that one Beach Boys song 'Do It Again'' and will go on Spotify and THIS will be the version they listen to? Do It Again...and Again....And Again...And....hey, isn't doing this and expecting different results the dictionary definition of insanity? Sweet insanity.

f*** me this is awful. I'm actually listening. Ugh. Lordy. Beautiful new archival release out showcasing TBB as a band to be taken seriously and this steaming sweaty thrice regurgitated turd has to be laid over the top of it.

Mike, it's time for a bit of an intervention mate. Wearing your own band's merch is naff enough but when it comes to solo....? You look like your mam was scared one of the school bullies would nick your hat so she stitched your name into it and got a bit carried away cause of her needlepoint class.

Here's a bit of a poser for everyone - what would it take for Mike Love to accept that the Beach Boys fanbase don't actually like John Stamos. At all? He's barely even famous anymore. At this point it'd be like if Paul McCartney wheeled out Tony Danza and expected a reception that would bring the roof in while he let him sing lead on one of George's cuts.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 10:02:33 PM by elnombre » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 10:04:24 PM »

If this were not a serious, legit "release", I'd hear it and think someone was doing a parody and having a laugh.

I agree so much about the Sunshine Tomorrow release bringing so much positive attention to the band's *music*, I listened at least 4 times through the set in entirety over the past few days because it's so uplifting and inspiring to hear that music, then Mike drops this sh*t on what someone must think is a fanbase who will buy it or even accept it? It's beyond surreal.

Name one legacy artist with the status and accomplishments of The Beach Boys (artistically and commercially), those in their peer group in the upper echelon of 20th Century rock music, who would piggyback something like this remake atop an archival release that spotlights the musical legacy like Sunshine Tomorrow.

Name one. I can't.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »

Imagine if all of the boys were alive but that bit beyond performing anymore. You put out something like Sunshine Tomorrow then along comes your cousin who apparently has a scat fetish and a viscerally violent reaction to quality music.

I actually like Mike but bloody hell does he make it hard to sometimes. You can settle a lot of your differences with him as a fan by thinking 'well, he's the one with the commercial head, he's the one who courts hits and popularity' but I mean, who is this going to be a hit with? Senile dementia patients who've forgotten they already have a dozen versions of the song they've bought in recent years and who's hearing is failing so they keep accepting shittier and shittier versions of it?
KDS
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »

Im usually pretty quick to defend Mike, but this is some kind of awful.

Silver lining.  Its the best song Ive ever heard Mark McGrath on.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »

Wait'll OSD hears this...

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 11:05:18 PM »

Well, I was having an outstanding vacation until I heard about this manure. I always said the surfboard scene in the Summer of Love video was the nadir of the Beach Boys career, but this takes the cake. What a total humiliation--I'm embarrassed. And don't get me started on that hat.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »

Mike sounds pretty good, but the rest of it is trash. 
Just........Why?!!!!
Could have at least done something new.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:18 PM »

you've got all that great musicianship collectively, and no one had the
guts to say, 'that F'n sucks ass man'?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »

you've got all that great musicianship collectively, and no one had the
guts to say, 'that F'n sucks ass man'?

This. So much of this forever and ever. The pained cry of the music fan to the musician. You know this is bollocks. Why. Why. WHY?!
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 11:16:13 PM »

OK apparently I woke up my Wife playing this nonsense too loudly. Her reply: "What in the hell is that garbage?"

That says it all folks.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2017, 11:37:38 PM »

someone should start a thread at the 'hoffman' board,
let the blood hounds loose on this 'masterpiece'.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 12:37:09 AM »

The hell with this.  I just wanna hear that "Britney Spears'" styled version of "Surfin'" they allegedly recorded back in the late 90's. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 12:59:41 AM »

The hell with this.  I just wanna hear that "Britney Spears'" styled version of "Surfin'" they allegedly recorded back in the late 90's. 

Huh?!!!!!!

ok, you're joking, right? Don't make fun of me, you couldn't put it past them!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 01:50:12 AM »

This is the audio equivalent of sticking your hand in a blender and setting it to puree.  I'd rather dip myself in honey and roll around in a fire ant bed than ever listen to this garbage again.  Wow...there are no words. Well, I can think of several million but none of them are very nice. Beethoven's ghost just  covered his ears.  Unless this a comedy track , in which case this was much funnier than the pickle brothers.

Don't ever do it again.  Just...don't.  Protect the damn brand

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 02:05:45 AM »

Interesting that this single is licensed to BMG Rights Management instead of issued straight through Meleco. Perhaps a sign that Mike’s new solo album has a distribution deal?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2017, 02:18:33 AM »

Wow, just listened to it, oh my lord.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2017, 02:50:29 AM »

Here's the full track:

https://youtu.be/o_JcpR_NTvk

This has either been pulled or is unavailable in my country. Is it anywhere else online?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2017, 03:27:07 AM »

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7lIlJTlWaSIBTMJxpIvd8f

http://www.samaritans.org/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:05 AM »

Okay, thanks, EN. I'm not on Spotify but that's my problem... 

And you're involved with the Samaritans? Or is that a swipe at Mike's single?! 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2017, 04:40:03 AM »

Okay, thanks, EN. I'm not on Spotify but that's my problem... 

And you're involved with the Samaritans? Or is that a swipe at Mike's single?! 

It was a joke at the quality of the single. Ill-conceived and a bit tasteless that (depression sufferer myself, being a bit glib), I apologise.

Anyway JK, it's also on Deezer if you have access to that or in case you've not used Spotify, you can just log right in with your Facebook details if you have some and stream away. No money or card details needed, worst you'll have to do is listen to an advert first. It'd be step 1: log in to spotify.com through facebook, step 2: scroll to the bottom of the page and click on web player under where it says Useful Links and step 3: type Mike Love Do It Again into the search bar and you should be greeted with the disconcerting baseball-capped visage of the man himself.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:56 AM »

What in the actual f*ck did I just listen to?

Seriously and furreal.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2017, 05:12:47 AM »

It was a joke at the quality of the single. Ill-conceived and a bit tasteless that (depression sufferer myself, being a bit glib), I apologise.

Fair play, EN. Been there...

Anyway JK, it's also on Deezer if you have access to that or in case you've not used Spotify, you can just log right in with your Facebook details if you have some and stream away. No money or card details needed, worst you'll have to do is listen to an advert first. It'd be step 1: log in to spotify.com through facebook, step 2: scroll to the bottom of the page and click on web player under where it says Useful Links and step 3: type Mike Love Do It Again into the search bar and you should be greeted with the disconcerting baseball-capped visage of the man himself.

I have no Facebook details (no life). Thanks anyway.

But looking at all the outraged comments, it doesn't look like I'm missing an awful lot. In fact I may even be in an enviable position. Grin

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »

Wait. What? Why? They JUST did Do It Again when the BBs reunited. Does Mike have an original idea in his head, ever? Every time Mike re-emerges into the market, it's Do It Again, because he's doing it again. Clever.

This is the guy who has spent years convinced that if he and Brian just got into a room, they'd make a great hit. And yet, he keeps proving that he's out of ideas. He couldn't have tried to come up with something new?

Also, Mark McGrath hasn't had a hit in 20 years. I don't measure the quality of someone's output based on hits, but McGrath isn't exactly some wonderful underground musician either.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx