gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:32:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 63944 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »

IMG_3357" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>private image share[/url]

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »

Isn't that three remakes of "Do It Again" in the last five-six years for Mike including the C50 remake?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:32:05 PM »

Quick, someone photoshop Guy Fieri into that photo!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 04:32:37 PM »

Jude! LOL. Keep doin it again!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »

Oh god mark mcgrath is literally one of the worst musicans to ever live.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T6PhDbfNDws

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »

Just when I was about to pay Mike the biggest compliment ever about Wild Honey, how that album was his finest hour ever, and how he should savor the well-deserved adulation he'll be getting for it (there is absolutely not one thing musically to complain about from Mike's contributions on that album, IMO - all top notch stuff)... he releases this drivel. I refuse to even listen to it, and I listen to EVERYTHING by this band. Even NASCAR.

I mean, how embarrassing can it be on several levels: Stamos and McGrath are widely not taken seriously by ANYONE, and yeah...Mike CAN'T remake a song that he just remade and released a few years ago when it was used specifically to promote the happy reunion vibes that Mike himself squandered.... plus after he inexplicably also remade it again (!!!) a year or two ago as well.

HE CAN'T DO IT. It's not tasteful since it was the theme song of C50. It's sh*tting in the face of all the fans who deeply felt connected to the reunion, who felt the reunion and those song lyrics (and choice of that specific song being remade in 2011) actually MEANT SOMETHING. We're fools, clearly.

But he did it anyway. Because it obviously meant nothing to him, and damn any fan who had any emotional connection to the idea of the band remaking that song for the reunion reason. I guess I'm the overly-emotional fool in this equation.

Geeeeeez. Shaking my damn head.

I'll just listen to Sunshine Tomorrow and remember a time when Mike was firing on all cylinders and however briefly kicked complete ass on every level. I will never take that away from him. He ruled then. He's just become a complete ninny, that's all. This current nonsense is unfortunately a distraction from Sunshine Tomorrow, and a joke.  

Is this a bit what it must've been like when the glory of Pet Sounds being issued on CD for the first time in 1990 was happening concurrently with Problem Child being released, as well as the cheerleaders at shows? I wasn't a fan back then, but I feel like this must be almost just like that.

*If a modern re-recording of the same song, Do it Again, hadn't been the specific theme song of C50, this move would *still* be cheesy as hell, and embarrassingly ill-timed, BUT it wouldn't bug me NEARLY as much. That's why, as a fan of BOTH the band as a whole as well as Mike's specific contributions to the band (such as the Wild Honey album), I feel this is a slap in the face. It'd be like Brian recording Carl's Heaven for a dog food commercial. It really doesn't pay to have an emotional connection to this band when Mike pulls sh*t like this.

Jack Rieley quote x10000000000000
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:59:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 05:21:20 PM »

Isn't that three remakes of "Do It Again" in the last five-six years for Mike including the C50 remake?

Utterly ridiculous and absurd on every level (the gimmicky contributions of his "star power" collaborators aside, the quantity of remakes in a several year period is still absurd).  Even Mike's defenders must in their hearts know how ridiculous this has become, even if they won't admit it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:35:28 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

Jesus, there was another one already besides the C50 version? They must all sound completely indistinguishable from one another.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 05:39:26 PM »

Jesus, there was another one already besides the C50 version? They must all sound completely indistinguishable from one another.

Well the 2011 remake did actually have Brian Wilson and Al Jardine on it, so these re-re-remakes erase any pesky other actual Beach Boy band members from the equation...  because Wilson/Jardine are CLEARLY inessential (unlike the essential powerhouse of Stamos/McGrath); maybe this is some sort of retribution by Mike for Brian releasing Soul Searchin' while having erased The BBs vocals on the Getting in Over My Head album (not a move I was a fan of by Team Brian, either).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 05:40:03 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »

Nah, I'd be surprised to learn Mike even gives these sort of releases a second thought. It's just business as usual for him. There'll probably be another "Do It Again" in two years... maybe with Ted Nugent.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:06:29 PM by Dudd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 06:07:32 PM »

Yeesh dudd.... Grin

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 06:52:36 PM »

It would have to be released as Mike and Bruce, right? Can't be the BB without Brian and Al, based on the license or is that just studio material.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 07:29:33 PM »

Un-fucking-real. Never miss a chance to piggyback on something like the '67 set that enhances the legacy and brings in new fans with something like this. Can Mike release something other than covers and remakes? At this point, it doesn't appear that way.

Protect the brand? Go team. Have fun with that. For f***'s sake... and someone here was critical of Brian for a best-of release that's coming out in September?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »

Yeah, and define the our in "our new single".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 07:37:38 PM »

It would have to be released as Mike and Bruce, right? Can't be the BB without Brian and Al, based on the license or is that just studio material.
That was my understanding too...did something change?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 07:43:54 PM »

It's clever wordplay and marketing to toe that line of how to name something like this, knowing there is a renewed interest and excitement around The Beach Boys and the music thanks to the glorious 1967 set release. Like Michael Corleone said in Godfather 2, can anyone give a straight answer? Who is "our"? It can't be a Beach Boys single, period. That's the license signed years ago.

Can we expect another USB thumb drive release anytime soon with yet another remake of a classic?  Roll Eyes

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »

Unless they suddenly mention that this is done as some sort of charity single or something and is crediting to each individual performer...I'm thoroughly disinterested and disgusted all at once.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »

This is really not good. So much autotune. Someone is shouting in the background and it is very annoying.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 08:30:56 PM »

At least if they'd release Getcha Back with the new lyrics that'd be interesting. I don't need to hear Mike "Do It Again" again for the countless time. 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 09:09:16 PM »

It's a "Mike Love" single, complete with Mike swapping out his BB cap with a "Mike Love" cap:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:10:02 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 09:13:38 PM »

And yes, this thing is autotuned up the wazoo, worse than anything on TWGMTR:

https://www.amazon.com/Again-feat-Mark-McGrath-Stamos/dp/B073C8QMHW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499141101&sr=8-4&keywords=Mike+love+do+it+again

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:39 PM »

This is really not good. So much autotune. Someone is shouting in the background and it is very annoying.

That would be Monsieur McGrath....

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:30 PM »

For f*cks sake.

Seriously, who do they think is the audience who will buy this? At least the Sloop John B thumb drive remake was a giveaway that came with another product.

Mike already tried to do a piggyback release with a remake of Do It Again in 1996, on his own MELECO label, remember "Catch A Wave" the remake album before Mike's NASCAR remake album that came with a tank of gas? This was just after the Don Was film featured Brian performing the song as a highlight...so I guess Mike tried to release a remake which he did with Adrian Baker...and it went fucking nowhere.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »

Nice touch, whoever is yelling DO IT! DO IT!.

What a sham all of this is.

Protect that brand, guys. The legacy is of utmost importance.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx