gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:37:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Single  (Read 64007 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:16 PM »

Curious how you'd respond to this list.

The original post I was replying to appeared to suggest that Brian's tremendously poor artistic decisions should be validated or elevated by Mike's tremendously poor artistic decisions.

My response to your post: virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians. Only super fanboys think about any of the points that you listed. "At least Brian's music is newly written" is a total fallacy that I'm seriously not interested in engaging with. Bad music is bad music. The irony is lost on anyone who believes this new Mike Love single is something reprehensible but thinks NPP advances the case for Brian Wilson: Musical Artist. For the majority opinion of how NPP contributed to his legacy, consult the exceptionally honest Tiny Mix Tapes review. (For the record, I disagree with some aspects of the piece, but the general sentiment is dead-on.)

'Guess You Had To Be There', a collaboration where Brian talked with Musgraves on multiple occasions about lyrics. Kacey took Brian's ideas and her own experiences and melded them into some of the best lyrics on that album. The backing track alone combines the best of country and The Beach Boys without making it a farce. It's a song that, with very few changes, could've been recorded back in the day for their Summer Days album and no one here would bat an eye about it.

So yes, I think that a song like 'Guess You Had To Be There' does advance the case for Brian being a musical artist. Of course, personal opinions about this song vary as everyone's taste is different, but no one can deny that actual creative artistic thought went into the making of this song (and NPP album). Whereas I doubt Mike was up late into the night on the phone with McGrath discussing the deep aritistic merits of repeating "do it" 1,600 times througout this remake.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

Even those most skilled in the art of bullshit and spin-doctoring reach a point where the bullshit runs out and all that's left is the hard truth. History being any indication, either the losses will be cut and a disappearing act or the ignorance card will occur (wow, I had no idea! That kind of thing), or a group huddle will be called and we'll start getting talking points and complaints of "Mike bashing" in the near future.

If people don't see it all laid out on the table by now, they either don't want to see it or they've been sold so much bullshit over the years that they can't see it.

That point in bold: Maybe the group huddle in this case produced how this discussion has turned. It goes something like this:

Get the people who are talking negative about Mike's new "single" distracted and in a defensive posture by pointing out and comparing negatives in Brian Wilson's releases. The people will start defending the merits of Brian's work being challenged or called out, and the issue of Mike's release being an embarrassment that has received near universal criticism from the fan base gets pushed aside as the discussion turns into one about Brian and not Mike's "Do It Again" travesty.

Don't let it happen. That playbook ran its course along with those who kept going to those same plays some time ago. The distract and divert tactic...ain't happenin'.

And don't insult the fanbase's sensibilities and intelligence by trying to say Mike wasn't looking to sell this thing.

If he wasn't looking for sales and market attention, I'd ask why the f*** did he release it when he did, riding the coattails of the '67 set within days, and why didn't he say it was *HIS* release instead of saying *OUR* as in The Beach Boys for an ignorant or gullible general public watching that broadcast Tuesday night?

C'mon.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

Mike could be taking a big bow for his superb work on Wild Honey but instead rolls out this turd.  It's a head scratcher!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2017, 09:58:25 PM »

Curious how you'd respond to this list.

The original post I was replying to appeared to suggest that Brian's tremendously poor artistic decisions should be validated or elevated by Mike's tremendously poor artistic decisions.

My response to your post: virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians. Only super fanboys think about any of the points that you listed. "At least Brian's music is newly written" is a total fallacy that I'm seriously not interested in engaging with. Bad music is bad music. The irony is lost on anyone who believes this new Mike Love single is something reprehensible but thinks NPP advances the case for Brian Wilson: Musical Artist. For the majority opinion of how NPP contributed to his legacy, consult the exceptionally honest Tiny Mix Tapes review. (For the record, I disagree with some aspects of the piece, but the general sentiment is dead-on.)

'Guess You Had To Be There', a collaboration where Brian talked with Musgraves on multiple occasions about lyrics. Kacey took Brian's ideas and her own experiences and melded them into some of the best lyrics on that album. The backing track alone combines the best of country and The Beach Boys without making it a farce. It's a song that, with very few changes, could've been recorded back in the day for their Summer Days album and no one here would bat an eye about it.

So yes, I think that a song like 'Guess You Had To Be There' does advance the case for Brian being a musical artist. Of course, personal opinions about this song vary as everyone's taste is different, but no one can deny that actual creative artistic thought went into the making of this song (and NPP album). Whereas I doubt Mike was up late into the night on the phone with McGrath discussing the deep aritistic merits of repeating "do it" 1,600 times througout this remake.

Agreed about GYHTBT.
kreen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2017, 10:30:28 PM »

Until then, good luck topping the charts with your buddies McGrath and Stamos.

This new version of DIA is just an attempt to capitalize on the Fourth of July appearance, it's about putting something out in case people who saw the show wanted to download a track they enjoyed. The choice of this particular song and the guest stars are not for hardcore BB fans, the kind who bought Sunshine Tomorrow, they're for the average people who watched the 4th of July program, and who had never heard any version of Do It Again before.

From this perspecive, this single was worth a try, and DIA is actually a good choice, since it's both catchy and relatively unknown to general audiences.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2017, 11:32:24 PM »

This new version of DIA is just an attempt to capitalize on the Fourth of July appearance, it's about putting something out in case people who saw the show wanted to download a track they enjoyed. The choice of this particular song and the guest stars are not for hardcore BB fans, the kind who bought Sunshine Tomorrow, they're for the average people who watched the 4th of July program, and who had never heard any version of Do It Again before.

From this perspecive, this single was worth a try, and DIA is actually a good choice, since it's both catchy and relatively unknown to general audiences.

That much grating Autotune (beyond the myriad other issues) frankly negates everything good that could possibly be had from this atrocity. Especially coming from the singer who publicly dissed his former bandmate and blood relative for the same production choice (done WAY worse here).

Like seriously, I do not know how that ugly, ugly hypocrisy can NOT bug somebody. What kind of blinders does one have to put on for that hypocrisy to be okay, hunky dory?  

By your logic, Mike gargling with Listerine while singing the song should be released as a single just because average people haven't heard that before.

Where is the cutoff? What type of release would finally push the boundaries to be unacceptable for the brand, in your estimation? *Some* potential release, whether actual or made-up, must certainly qualify.  How about Mike re-recording Surf's Up with his own lead vocal, and trying to license his version to a phone sex line commercial on KDOC TV. Would that be okay too? (If it isn't obvious, this is a huge exaggeration, but I'm trying to see where your barometer would fall, because I cannot wrap my head around anyone defending this feces-esque DIA '17 release).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:50:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2017, 06:37:21 AM »

One *could* argue that if there was someone who wanted the buy the song after watching the PBS show, they could have easily searched for "Beach Boys Do It Again" and found the original recording.

Whatever Mike's motives for releasing this single, it surely wasn't to just help out fans who otherwise would have no idea how to obtain this rare, hard-to-find song?

Of course, in actuality the song is far from "relatively unknown." While it may not be in the absolute top tier of the dozen or so most well-known BB songs, it's pretty recognizable and well-known. It hit #20 as a single in the US, it was a #1 single in the UK, has been performed at most if not virtually *all* BB concerts since 1968/69, is featured on the top-selling "Sounds of Summer" compilation, and was the kick-off track for the promotion for the 2012 anniversary tour (and was the opening song on that tour as well).

Sure, there are probably super young folks who aren't familiar with the song, but I'd wager they also then wouldn't be familiar with a bunch of other generally well-known BB songs either.

Regarding this new single not being targeted at hardcore fans who bought "Sunshine Tomorrow", one of the points of "Sunshine Tomorrow" was to work towards bridging the gap between hardcore fans and younger, hipster fans exploring the band's catalog. To release a single to a "different demographic" (e.g. new, casual fans or non-fans) literally *days* after a release like "Sunshine Tomorrow" that was trying to bridge that gap is just rather cynical. As I've said before, it's not like I would expect Mike to go on that PBS show and bust out "A Thing or Two." But geez, he *could* have worn a "Sunshine Tomorrow" t-shirt or baseball cap or otherwise plugged *that* collection more online instead of pointing everybody towards a Mark McGrath collaboration.

I'm surprised Mike didn't arrange for a Toby Keith duet to release the weekend after "The Smile Sessions" came out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2017, 06:46:14 AM »

"We have a brand new single, out today." - Mike Love as lead singer of The Beach Boys introducing 'Do It Again' to the audience.

Unfortunatelty (or fortunately), anyone searching iTunes for "The Beach Boys Do It Again 2017" will come up with zero results as he performed this track live as a Beach Boy but released it under the name Mike Love...which just further confuses people.

It was an attempt for Mike Love to use The Beach Boys name on live TV to confusingly capitalize on his own solo venture. Of course it was worth it for Mike to take advantage of this moment.

It's 2017 and we're okay that this abhorently autotuned collaborative remake (3rd time this song has been remade for release in the last 5 years?) with a sitcom star and a guy no one has ever heard of is being advertised by The Beach Boys for a Mike Love solo single?

To your average person this is just a fender bender; an accident worth looking at but forgettable an hour later. To us fans this sh*t is a mile long trainwreck. I love that Mike was so perturbed by one of the last tracks on TWGMTR that he formed his fingers into the shape of a gun and put it to his head when the song was played back to him...he gets moody about that song but sees this comically autotuned collab with a yoghurt salesperson as something to be advertised on live television to the entire country? This band's legacy/priorities are all kinds of f***ed up.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2017, 06:47:25 AM »

virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians.

That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement and assumption. Please don't speak for any large group of fans.

I wouldn't say NPP is equally disposable as Mike's new turd-- not by a long shot, but do I think it's groundbreaking? Nah. Are those tracks among Brian's career best? No way. I listen to that album quite a bit, but I don't for a second think it's consequential to his career or legacy.

What's funny/sad about this new single is I couldn't find it on Spotify last night by searching 'Mike Love.' (Actually, searching Mike's name returns some other artist with that name.) I eventually found it by searching "John Stamos."

And the rub is that I don't think much of anybody, certainly in this thread, is contending that NPP is "groundbreaking."

My issue is with lumping Mike's new single in with Brian's recent output. They aren't the same animal at all. Sure, in both cases it's an old dude, each a former Beach Boy, putting a recording out. That's about the end of any comparison. Brian's project was a full album. Mike's is a single. Brian's project was mainly new songs. Mike's is a re-recording of an old BB song, and one he has re-recorded at least four times in his career, including three times in the last six years. Mike is promoting his new *solo* single by playing it at shows labeled as "The Beach Boys." Brian promotes his solo stuff at "Brian Wilson" shows. Brian put thought into his collaborations and either co-wrote with his "guest stars" and/or hand-picked vocalists for specific songs much in the same way he did back in the BB days. Mike, well, I guess we don't know precisely how he stumbled into a McGrath collab, although Emdeeh pointed out on another board that former Sugar Ray bandmade Murphy Karges is the stepson of Carl Wilson's first wife Annie Wilson-Karges.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2017, 07:13:53 AM »

virtually everybody whose devotion to the Beach Boys lies above "casual" and beneath "diehard" considers NPP and DIA'17 to be equally disposable latter-day solo works recorded by septuagenarians.

That's a pretty ridiculous blanket statement and assumption. Please don't speak for any large group of fans.

I wouldn't say NPP is equally disposable as Mike's new turd-- not by a long shot, but do I think it's groundbreaking? Nah. Are those tracks among Brian's career best? No way. I listen to that album quite a bit, but I don't for a second think it's consequential to his career or legacy.

What's funny/sad about this new single is I couldn't find it on Spotify last night by searching 'Mike Love.' (Actually, searching Mike's name returns some other artist with that name.) I eventually found it by searching "John Stamos."

And the rub is that I don't think much of anybody, certainly in this thread, is contending that NPP is "groundbreaking."

My issue is with lumping Mike's new single in with Brian's recent output. They aren't the same animal at all. Sure, in both cases it's an old dude, each a former Beach Boy, putting a recording out. That's about the end of any comparison. Brian's project was a full album. Mike's is a single. Brian's project was mainly new songs. Mike's is a re-recording of an old BB song, and one he has re-recorded at least four times in his career, including three times in the last six years. Mike is promoting his new *solo* single by playing it at shows labeled as "The Beach Boys." Brian promotes his solo stuff at "Brian Wilson" shows. Brian put thought into his collaborations and either co-wrote with his "guest stars" and/or hand-picked vocalists for specific songs much in the same way he did back in the BB days. Mike, well, I guess we don't know precisely how he stumbled into a McGrath collab, although Emdeeh pointed out on another board that former Sugar Ray bandmade Murphy Karges is the stepson of Carl Wilson's first wife Annie Wilson-Karges.

McGrath has covered Getcha Back on the Herbie Fully Loaded soundtrack.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »

McGrath has covered Getcha Back on the Herbie Fully Loaded soundtrack.

His band also recorded a cover of “Little Saint Nick” featuring Carnie & Wendy (https://www.discogs.com/Sugar-Ray-Little-Saint-Nick-/release/5122555).

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: July 07, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »

Check out this interview with Mark McGrath from a few years ago. It's *EERILY* similar to how interviews read from a certain other guy we're quite familiar with. Although, I'd actually give the nod to McGrath for being somewhat more realistic and humble compared to Love:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mark-mcgrath-i-understand-why-people-dont-like-me-20130212

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 08:22:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:35 AM »

Check out this interview with Mark McGrath from a few years ago. It's *EERILY* similar to how interviews read from a certain other guy we're quite familiar with. Although, I'd actually give the nod to McGrath for being somewhat more realistic and humble compared to Love:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mark-mcgrath-i-understand-why-people-dont-like-me-20130212

Thanks for linking that, HeyJude. All of this thread aside, that's a good perspective from McGrath on old bands still touring.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »

Thanks for linking that, HeyJude. All of this thread aside, that's a good perspective from McGrath on old bands still touring.

It's quite interesting really; McGrath has essentially settled into the stage Mike Love entered into the 80s and 90s. So many of the quotes from this article read like Mike Love. It actually explains amazingly well why the two guys are sympatico. But again, McGrath is actually more self-aware and self-effacing, saying he's the "Peter Noone of the 90s", and flat-out stating: "I've done a lot of douchey things," he tells Rolling Stone. "I understand why people don't particularly like me."

Where he's similar to Mike is that he's largely fast-forwarding past new/artistic endeavors and he's already prepared to sail for the rest of his life on his hand full of 90s hits: "Again, we all have a ton of hits. You're going to hear them from top to bottom, quick changeovers. We proved last time this will work. I'm ready to do this for the rest of my life."

The only difference appears to be that Sugar Ray doesn't have enough hits to tour on their own, so they've done a lot of 90s package tours, much like bands from the 50s and 60s did so in the 70s/80s (and on).

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 07, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »

So is anyone getting added onto the songwriting credits for all the new "DO IT"s?  Razz

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 07, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

So is anyone getting added onto the songwriting credits for all the new "DO IT"s?  Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4eScf6TMaM
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 07, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 07, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4eScf6TMaM

Or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7oxjVfZvNw

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 07, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »

Mike needs some eye-candy on stage! Smokin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 07, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »

When I make my ULTIMATE BRIAN WILSON SOLO MEGA-MIX, long after he's dead, (many versions of which I've already made over the years) you betcha there will be a couple to a handful of songs from NPP, just like there will be a couple to a handful of songs from every single solo BW album.  None of them are Pet Sounds, but they all have their moments, and those moments are sometimes stupendously good.

It makes me sad that for some people only the top 98 percentile of this guy's work is good enough, and that means the rest is garbage.  You're missing out on this septuagenarian's occasionally brilliant, and often perfectly good, latter day work.

Oh wait that's not what this thread's about!!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 07, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

I will buy you a beer! Grin

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 07, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »

Hilarious. Watch the whole thing. Vic Berger is an editing genius and a huge BBs fan.

https://youtu.be/AdYbymafUd0
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 07, 2017, 02:37:05 PM »

Hilarious. Watch the whole thing. Vic Berger is an editing genius and a huge BBs fan.

https://youtu.be/AdYbymafUd0

Brilliant....

And wow, that really is McGrath mouthing "That's Mike Love!"

lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2017, 02:47:52 PM »

Just stumbled on this. And oh boy. Here's where that all began...

https://youtu.be/ebXgao3swlA
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:49:12 PM by lostbeachboy » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 07, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »

Bottom line?  Mike is an out and out dick...and he's had 50 + years of perfecting ***THAT*** to the point where it's now pretty much a 'science'.  Pause and see/hear....He also has NO unique or discernible talent with which to bank on a future of anything other than mall openings, senior's residence mini shows and empty little halls...singing somebody else's songs.  [Although Stamos tagging along might attract some "nourishment".  So the 'tour' continues?]  I've heard stories about what really happens after shows and particularly about what happens behind the scenes in regard to the actual band...from some of the folks who've suffered through working for a certain horse's ass.  The boss, as mentioned, is an out and out dick.

Brian isn't a dick.  He's spent NO time working on it.  He HAS talent and continues to tour with no lip-syncing required...and no clowns or actors replacing musicians in the band when there's a possible spotlight on the whole enchilada.  So...they'll continue to play halls of note until they decide that enough is enough...all the while knowing that there are also newly released songs, as opposed to retreads from past albums, to potentially be included in the shows.  As for nourishment...let alone the Love injected revenge quota...Brian seems to rely on appreciation, positive response and reaction, and the satisfaction of purposing a project, accomplishing the goal, and enjoying the benefits of the subsequent moves and reactions which come back to him both in person and via the bank account.  

But then...let's not forget that Brian, Dennis and Carl weren't perfect and that they had issues.  No doubt there are more reminders of THAT still to come.  Let us also remember that in addition...the Wilson brothers also ALL had talent.  REAL talent.  You know...musically.  [and spiritually]  The other family in this whole, historic equation?  Well...Really?  Truly?  Not so much... ... ...at all.

You CAN'T con me Mikey boy.  You're a lip-syncin' fake from WAY back when.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:28:42 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx