gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baywatch OST - \  (Read 5210 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2017, 04:01:42 AM »

Hello! Today's thrift shop find was the OST of Baywatch. Not very "beach" at all, rather a dancey, tub-thumping VA affair. Bought it for the Beach Boys track, "Summer of Love". Yes, it's the same song that appears on the album, "Summer in Paradise", a Love-Melcher co-write, produced by Terry Melcher. Now, when I played it, I sensed it was somehow a different mix, somewhat sparser sounding, the drums not as brash as I remember them. I don't have SIP at hand to A/B, so can anyone confirm if indeed it is a different mix? It sounds better, but maybe that's just because it stands out from the other stuff on the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:06:26 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »

This was a thrift store pickup for me as well, about a year ago. After bringing it home I very quickly compared the two versions and they sounded the same to me. Maybe I’ll go back and make sure though.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:47:07 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »

Keep in mind there are two different mixes of the SIP album, and each of those mixes features vastly different versions/mixes of the title track. So if one is more familiar with one mix and hears the other on this soundtrack, that might explain why it sounds so different.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:26:04 PM »

Thanks for your input, guys. Yes, I know about the two editions of SIP. Bought the American digipak on release, hated it, and traded it in. Only to regret it a few years later, whereupon I got hold of the European jewel case edition with a, so I am told, superior mix. I am happy with my Euro edition, but you know, more begets more. About the title track, isn't the main difference Roger McGuinn guesting on one of the two versions? I hardly remember now. Anyway, yes, it could be I've gotten the quieter mix of "Summer of Love" on the Baywatch OST which is kinda strange, as you'd expect Scotti to use the American edition mix for a US tv show, but there we are. Funny how what is deemed one of the weakest tracks on SIP suddenly takes on a new life when heard in isolation on a VA OST. Speaks volumes about the high standard of BB music, even their weak efforts will often be better than the competition!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:27:33 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 06:29:48 AM »

The first problem is that you own Summer of Love at all
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

SOL.....UGH! Complete embarrassment. Could possibly be the worst tune they ever recorded, certainly one of the most embarrassing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »

SOL.....UGH! Complete embarrassment. Could possibly be the worst tune they ever recorded, certainly one of the most embarrassing.

Absolutely! All you ever needed to know about myKe luHv in one miserably, perverted song. Further studies would conclude with the viewing of his "Lifestyles" video showing him rubbing mineral oil all over his body.  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »

Absolutely! All you ever needed to know about myKe luHv in one miserably, perverted song. Further studies would conclude with the viewing of his "Lifestyles" video showing him rubbing mineral oil all over his body.  Huh

Oh, they have recorded worse. But it may be Mike's worst. Still better than Brian's "Smart Girls" off Sweet Insanity.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »

I just found this review of the Beach Boys - Baywatch episode:

Baywatching: Surf's Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zv4U73PsqI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »

"Have mercy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYbymafUd0

Jesus Christ, that video.  It's terrible.  Embarrassing.  Uncomfortable...

I love it!  Evil
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »

I just found this review of the Beach Boys - Baywatch episode:

Baywatching: Surf's Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zv4U73PsqI

Thanks for sharing. This is absolutely incredible and hilarious.

I have a hunch that the entire Bart Simpson connection information  which the makers of this video included was learned from this board. I'm surprise that BuzzFeed or one of those sites hasn't done a story on it, it's such a  bizzarre little nugget of trivia.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:09:11 AM »

I don't know or remember if this was posted before on this board but I just came across an 1995 article by the L. A. Times about Brian, the Beach Boys and Baywatch

'Where's Brian?' Is the (Bay) Watch Word : Pop music: The elusive Beach Boy is a no-show for shoot; the question is will he be at the Cerritos Center tonight.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-08-17/entertainment/ca-36177_1_beach-boy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »

I don't know or remember if this was posted before on this board but I just came across an 1995 article by the L. A. Times about Brian, the Beach Boys and Baywatch

'Where's Brian?' Is the (Bay) Watch Word : Pop music: The elusive Beach Boy is a no-show for shoot; the question is will he be at the Cerritos Center tonight.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-08-17/entertainment/ca-36177_1_beach-boy

Strange article. Brian being a "no-show" was indeed not a big story. It would have been a bigger story if he *did* show up at a BB concert, which I believe he started doing in 1995 for the first time since 1990.

Even stranger is that the article doesn’t mention *Carl’s* absence, which is presumably why (beyond some weird politics) Dave was there.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »

Just to clarify. The way I read it was Carl wasn’t at the shoot, Dave was. Brian wasn’t at the Cerritos show that night, Carl probably was.
Reading the pro shot thread, Dave did attend ‘some’ shows at that time so ‘may’ have been at Cerritos. It would have been weird saying ‘we need you at the Baywatch shoot as a band member but not onstage later as the real thing.’

Am I on the right track with this?  Huh
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:17:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:45 PM »

Great song.  Love it 😘
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx