gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:26:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: peter noone  (Read 2882 times)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2017, 07:57:49 PM »

does Bruce ever talk of the signing of Peter Noone's band the Tremblers to his CBS label in the 80's.  Just funny working with a large 60's group and trying to get  Mr. Noone going again.  Had a Bowe tune that hit the chart. I think it was Oh you pretty girls.  Haven't heard it in years.  Some banter of short.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 02:17:46 AM »

does Bruce ever talk of the signing of Peter Noone's band the Tremblers to his CBS label in the 80's.  Just funny working with a large 60's group and trying to get  Mr. Noone going again.  Had a Bowie tune that hit the chart. I think it was Oh you pretty girls.  Haven't heard it in years.  Some banter of short.

The Bowie tune was "Oh You Pretty Things". I remember seeing Peter sing it on BBC's Top of the Pops with David on piano! Unfortunately that performance isn't on YouTube.

I can find nothing online from Bruce about the Tremblers. Peter says somewhere (in 2010) that Bruce was a neighbour and a friend dating back to the PS campaign in the UK...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:43:00 AM »

I spoke with Bruce at the time he was in the middle of producing Peter. Bruce was VERY enthusiastic and positive about what they were getting recorded. I cant recall the timing now....I think it was after Bruce's Equinox label...in fact, probably 1980 or so and CBS  is more likely.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:05:11 AM »

Meanwhile Peter filed this performance about 5 years ago, along with fellow music men Ginger Baker and Peter Banks in tribute to 4 VERY well-known Beach Boys fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCf5KPU8hKU

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »

Meanwhile Peter filed this performance about 5 years ago, along with fellow music men Ginger Baker and Peter Banks in tribute to 4 VERY well-known Beach Boys fans...

Very cool! A great shame it has had so few views thus far. Peter is in fine voice. And the man can rock. Thanks, AS.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »

I had the opportunity to interview Peter back in the mid 80s while he was touring the Herman's Hermits tunes hither and yon.  He was doing a week at the Royal York Hotel Imperial Room in Toronto.  Our radio station would present all of the shows there as we were Toronto's original oldies station and I would go and do the MC bit as well.  Peter was [and I would think still is] a terrifically pleasant fella.  Easy to talk to.  Fun to be with.  Down to earth.  Talkative.

One thing which always stuck with me about him?  {and it's exactly true of Danny Hutton who I interviewed and MC'd when 3 Dog Night did the Imperial Room}  He had, in his possession SMiLE on tape.  He would NOT allow me to hear it nor would he provide a copy for me so that I too could enjoy the long lost album...lost for about 18 years or so at that point.  Danny wouldn't either although they certainly made me know that they had it and that it was truly outstanding.  I wonder if Peter got his copy from Bruce?  I wonder if Danny got his from his pal Brian?

I still respect their loyalty to a friend and also to the group.  That's what real men do.  [remain loyal]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »

The tremblers toured with the bbs in 1980
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

Very cool! A great shame it has had so few views thus far. Peter is in fine voice. And the man can rock. Thanks, AS.
I saw him in concert here in Montreal a few years ago. Really great, really suave, really funny. A fantastic show.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:06:26 AM »

The Tremblers period was one of those really interesting times when an established star tried to do something very, very different. A bit like Carl's solo excursions, or Bernie Taupin recording an album of his own - and singing. Peter still sells the Tremblers cd on his website, so it is apparently a project he is proud of. I've met him several times and he is always  cheery, never turns down an autograph request, has a great band, too. His guitarist Billy Sullivan just released a cd of British Invasion covers; did a Beatles tribute cd a couple years ago, too - playing all the instruments and doing all the vocals. Very talented guy.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »

I covered the Louisville, Kentucky State Fairgrounds show (August 10, 1980) for my college radio station WIDB (Carbondale, IL).  We were giving Peter's first Tremblers album heavy airplay at the time, because it was an excellent album.  The Tremblers opened for the Beach Boys that show.  We met with Peter in a talent holding area below the stage, in the afternoon before the show.  He was one of the most upbeat and nicest people I'd ever met in the business.  He was excited to talk about his album and we were excited to talk to him.  After the interview, he was fascinated with some albums we brought for signing.  He was particularly thrilled with an original pressing of PET SOUNDS.  He took it carefully, holding it like rare treasure, and pointed out his favorite songs and the photos on the back.  He wanted to keep the album.  He then insisted on introducing us to "the guys."

At the hotel, he took us into the dining room, over to a table where Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston sat, and introduced us.  They were both very gracious and signed our albums, though Bruce took great pains to point out to me that my copy of the Rip Chords "Hey Little Cobra" album was a reprint and not an original issue.

The show itself was excellent.  Surprisingly, or maybe unsurprisingly, Noone did not do any Herman's Hermits songs, though he did explain the meaning of the band name ("Tremblers is what happens when you make love standing up.")

The Beach Boys show was excellent, complete with Dennis, on stage with You Are So Beautiful during the encore.

When I look back, it's hard to believe Peter was only 33 years old when he did that show.  He was a contemporary of the Beach Boys, from the 60s, yet enthusiastically trying to reboot his career in a brave, edgy and artistic manner. He was also an unabashed fan of the Beach Boys... hanging with him was just like hanging out with any other starry-eyed fan.  He was thrilled beyond measure to be on tour with them.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »

I covered the Louisville, Kentucky State Fairgrounds show (August 10, 1980) for my college radio station WIDB (Carbondale, IL).  We were giving Peter's first Tremblers album heavy airplay at the time, because it was an excellent album.  The Tremblers opened for the Beach Boys that show.  We met with Peter in a talent holding area below the stage, in the afternoon before the show.  He was one of the most upbeat and nicest people I'd ever met in the business.  He was excited to talk about his album and we were excited to talk to him.  After the interview, he was fascinated with some albums we brought for signing.  He was particularly thrilled with an original pressing of PET SOUNDS.  He took it carefully, holding it like rare treasure, and pointed out his favorite songs and the photos on the back.  He wanted to keep the album.  He then insisted on introducing us to "the guys."

At the hotel, he took us into the dining room, over to a table where Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston sat, and introduced us.  They were both very gracious and signed our albums, though Bruce took great pains to point out to me that my copy of the Rip Chords "Hey Little Cobra" album was a reprint and not an original issue.

The show itself was excellent.  Surprisingly, or maybe unsurprisingly, Noone did not do any Herman's Hermits songs, though he did explain the meaning of the band name ("Tremblers is what happens when you make love standing up.")

The Beach Boys show was excellent, complete with Dennis, on stage with You Are So Beautiful during the encore.

When I look back, it's hard to believe Peter was only 33 years old when he did that show.  He was a contemporary of the Beach Boys, from the 60s, yet enthusiastically trying to reboot his career in a brave, edgy and artistic manner. He was also an unabashed fan of the Beach Boys... hanging with him was just like hanging out with any other starry-eyed fan.  He was thrilled beyond measure to be on tour with them.
This is a great story. Peter's comeback attempt with the Tremblers reminds me of Rick Nelson with the Stone Canyon Band in the early 70's - although Rick did do a few of his old hits for the fans. Peter has a live cd he sells at shows and at www.peternoone.com that has all the HH hits on it, but he also does a couple Tremblers songs on it. I vaguely recall seeing the Tremblers on the Midnight Special, will have to check youtube  for those.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx