gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:49:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't Wait Too Long on Sunshine Tomorrow  (Read 17910 times)
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »

It does make more sense to think of them as two different songs from '67 and '68. A complete 'definitive' version is impossible. The structure just can't accomodate multiple versions of the same two progressions repeated again and again any more than you could do it for Good Vibrations.
felipe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:38 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long to me isn't a song. It has two intros, a bridge and a fade
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »

Well, the versions that have been released aren't really songs, because for whatever reason, the compilers haven't made the effort to put the various sections together in a way that makes some sense.  But as wjcrerar has shown, it's certainly possible.  Here's hoping that they do so next year.  Otherwise, fanmixes will be the best we have.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 12:56:54 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:59 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 12:57:52 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:54 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2017, 09:45:11 AM »

Can't Wait Too Long to me isn't a song. It has two intros, a bridge and a fade

If we assume that the 1990 SS/WH mix of CWTL contains the full '68 tape (discounting the WH tag), then it would have run longer than almost everything on Friends, and had somebody simply recorded a lead vocal, it would not seem any more malformed than "Passing By" or "Wake the World".

>Proof of concept< (ignore that the last fly-in does not match the chords, and thus was probably superfluous)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:09:32 AM by terrei » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:48 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2017, 12:28:00 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:43 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2017, 03:05:52 PM »

That doesn't prove anything other than that they originally flirted with the idea of having two verse sections. You can hear it all over the Heroes and Villains and Good Vibrations sessions, sections that aren't supposed to be leading into each other and Brian inexplicably labeling something a "pick-up to second verse".

I sourced the vocal from US Vol.19 and the GV 1990 box set. Check out track 27 on US. The backing track (with overdubbed vocals) has only one verse section, exactly as on the released version.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:38 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 04:47:56 AM »

I Love WJCRAW Hipotesis
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »

I'm interested to hear whatever he might do with the isolated vocals.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »

Is there any bootleg that collects all of the known circulating fragments/versions of this song? It's always been one of my favorite productions from Brian. But I only know the version on the 1990 twofer, the GV box set, the Get The Boot brief fragment, and now the Sunshine Tomorrow version. I'm not that well educated on the making of the song, and I'm kind of having a hard time trying to pick out the parts being discussed in this thread to follow along. I know bootlegs are illegal and frowned upon, so I really hope nobody tries to send me a compilation with every single fragment and version available.  angel

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 02:59:47 AM »

Its built partly around the bass line for the Smile chorus of Wind Chimes - as such I've wondered if the chorus melody of CWTL was originally the WC chorus melody..?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2017, 03:09:23 AM »

I know bootlegs are illegal and frowned upon, so I really hope nobody tries to send me a compilation with every single fragment and version available.  angel

I'd love not to send you a comp but I can get my head round it. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2017, 03:43:28 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:19 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 03:44:45 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:12 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »

Its built partly around the bass line for the Smile chorus of Wind Chimes - as such I've wondered if the chorus melody of CWTL was originally the WC chorus melody..?

I've thought about that too. The Smile version of Wind Chimes always gets called 'finished' but something feels...missing. I think Brian could've abandoned having extra lyrics over the chorus by the revised version when he turned it into just an insert before the piano tag, but in the first version where it repeats like 3 times surely there was gonna be something?

I think so - same as DYLW.  For DYLW there seem to have been extra lead vox that weren't on the mixes we have.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »

Its built partly around the bass line for the Smile chorus of Wind Chimes
Wow. I've been listening to both tracks for years now, and I never made that connection. Of course, now that you mention it, it's so obvious it's like Brian himself is sticking his hand through my CD player and slapping me in the face.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »

Is there any bootleg that collects all of the known circulating fragments/versions of this song? It's always been one of my favorite productions from Brian. But I only know the version on the 1990 twofer, the GV box set, the Get The Boot brief fragment, and now the Sunshine Tomorrow version. I'm not that well educated on the making of the song, and I'm kind of having a hard time trying to pick out the parts being discussed in this thread to follow along. I know bootlegs are illegal and frowned upon, so I really hope nobody tries to send me a compilation with every single fragment and version available.  angel
Yeah, there's the Archeology box-set that has the extra "baby you know I can't hold out forever" backing vocals over the verses, which NOBODY seems to use in their fan or studio mixes (I'm looking at you wjcrerar, and you Linnet!) even though its a great little BB chant!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:31:45 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 02:55:24 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:20:03 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 05:34:11 AM »

Is there any bootleg that collects all of the known circulating fragments/versions of this song? It's always been one of my favorite productions from Brian. But I only know the version on the 1990 twofer, the GV box set, the Get The Boot brief fragment, and now the Sunshine Tomorrow version. I'm not that well educated on the making of the song, and I'm kind of having a hard time trying to pick out the parts being discussed in this thread to follow along. I know bootlegs are illegal and frowned upon, so I really hope nobody tries to send me a compilation with every single fragment and version available.  angel
Yeah, there's the Archeology box-set that has the extra "baby you know I can't hold out forever" backing vocals over the verses, which NOBODY seems to use in their fan or studio mixes (I'm looking at you wjcrerar, and you Linnet!) even though its a great little BB chant!

Don't worry, I know about that one! Just didn't use it because it's in poor quality. I really can't tell when it's from though. I've come round to the idea that the handclap section is actually from '68 (that's definitely '68 Brian falsetto and the same acoustic guitar as on the verses), but the archaeology stuff's mixed really weirdly with lots of reverb and sounds all 80s-ish. Is it possible that those are the mixes that were prepared during the KTSA sessions? The "baby you know I can't wait forever" vocal or whatever it is has to be Brian but it doesn't sound like the 60s. I convinced myself that it was his Here Comes the Night voice, but then there's a part at the end where it's more clear and it sounds exactly like he does at the Knebworth concert on Surfer Girl. Hmm.
I forget, what is the source for the story that they worked on CWTL during KTSA, and has ANYONE ever described what was done? Why is info on this track so maddeningly fragmentary!?

I hear what you're saying about Brian's voice on those vox, and the bad reverb certainly muddys it up, but it still "feels" like 60's BW to me, for what that's worth.
Also, that handclap/vocal intro is is so energetic and classic BW I cannot believe the archivists haven't given it a proper treatment! Hoping you can give it its due!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 01:01:15 PM »

Read an old interview w/Pete Townsend where he was asked about Good Vibrations and the way it was put together, presumable the "modular thing".  This was in the time of GV's release, and he stated that is how he was working and seemed really rather non-plussed about it as a production, which somewhat surprised me as he later came across as a pretty big BBs fan per other quotes of his I have read...

As far as Can't Wait Too Long, I actually can wait quite a while to listen to it as I don't think it has aged that well and really is not that interesting musically as far as I am concerned.  It was too long and repetitious for an album track and couldn't have been a single because it didn't go anywhere or have any real hooks.  It does tend to dazzle a bit upon early listens, but then you realize there is just not that much going on over time....I now rank it an interesting curio but quite understand its long "officially" unreleased status....Ditto Ol' Man River, another fun curiosity, but just not in the pocket and sounds very demo-ish to me as released....Also ditto We're Together Again too, these things are exactly what they should be, bonus tracks!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 04:13:45 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:19:50 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2017, 06:05:17 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:19:44 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print