gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:36:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS UNLEASH 'SUNSHINE TOMORROW'  (Read 5103 times)
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:25:46 AM »

From my nationally syndicated feed. . .

THE BEACH BOYS UNLEASH 'SUNSHINE TOMORROW'
by Howie Edelson

Beach Boys fans are counting the minutes until Friday's (June 30th) release of the band's latest collection, called 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow. In addition to the first-ever stereo mix of the band's beloved 1967 Wild Honey album, 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow boasts countless outtakes and alternate tracks from both the Smiley Smile and Wild Honey album -- along with key rehearsals and live tracks from the aborted Lei'd In Hawaii project. Rounding out the set are select previously unreleased performances from the Beach Boys' Thanksgiving 1967 tour. The 1967 Smiley Smile recordings marked Brian Wilson's first work after the abandoned Smile album, with Wild Honey being the last Beach Boys album of the 1960's to showcase the legendary songwriting team of cousins Brian Wilson and frontman Mike Love. The album gets its name -- Sunshine Tomorrow -- from a line from Wild Honey's "Let The Wind Blow."

Grammy award-winning producers Alan Boyd and Mark Linett were once again behind the boards for the new collection, which is the creative followup to 2011's The 'Smile' Sessions box set. Boyd spoke about how the music created in 1967 for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey remains among the most honest of its era: "It's very modern sounding -- as a lot of people have pointed out -- because it does have a sort of homegrown, D.I.Y. aspect -- do it yourself aspect to it. It's a very organic record. There's nothing fake on it. There's very little processing -- there's some editing in some of the tracks because of the way Brian was still recording in fragments and piecing them together. But I think this album could really resonate with people who aren't really into the Beach Boys."

Although both the then-recent Pet Sounds and subsequent Smile sessions featured Brian Wilson teaming up with other lyricists, Mike Love explained to us why he and his cousin were always able to connect, lock in to a great idea, and run with it: "I mean, we were born in the same family, grew up together, loved the same music, learned Four Freshman arrangements, sang Everly Brothers in three and four-part harmony, did all the doo wop stuff you ever wanted to do -- so, we have so much in common musically -- and as cousins -- and compliment each other so well."

Die-hards got an early sneak-peak at one of Wilson/Love's hidden gems when the new stereo mix for Wild Honey's "hit-that-never-was" "Aren't You Glad" was posted online as a teaser for 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow. We asked Brian Wilson what he remembers about the fan favorite: "It was Bruce on piano. Mike said, 'Let's write a rhythm & blues kind of a song' -- I said, 'Okay, let's try it!' We did it, and it wasn't really rhythm & blues; it was inspired by rhythm & blues: 'Aren't you glad now darlin', there's you and me, me and you' -- y'know, like a rhythm & blues lyric -- a Motown lyric."

We asked Wilson about relocating the Beach Boys from Hollywood's top professional studios into his Bel Air home on Bellagio Road -- the band's musical headquarters for the next five years: "Well, I wanted to have a home environment trip, where we could record at my house, so we had an engineer build a studio in our den; convert it into a studio. We could function easier, because we were at home at our house. So, the guys knew the house and they knew the studio so they were able to play good."

Bruce Johnston has nothing but fond memories of the band settling in and recording Wild Honey at Brian Wilson's Bel Air mansion: "I enjoyed the album, because it was very chill, and it was fun, and Carl was very young and he was singing more -- he was singing in styles we hadn't heard. All this great stuff came up to the surface. And I honestly didn't remember playing the keyboard on 'Aren't You Glad,' 'cause I love that song. We have a live version of it from Beach Boys '69 that became Live In London. A great version."

Al Jardine particularly remembered Carl Wilson taking an active interest in the studio during the period that's covered on the 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow collection. He recalled how Brian and Carl had an almost sixth-sense while working together, and how Carl was on top of everything that Brian was laying down: ["He was always very aware of the studio environment. He was a good studio cat. Brian would consult him on things as we grew musically. He trusted Carl and he could bounce things off him before the rest of us. And it was, kind of, a buffer. Carl played kind of that role, and Carl learned a lot from that."

The 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow collection features five tracks from the band's August 1967 Honolulu concerts with Brian Wilson, which were recorded in hopes of becoming the Beach Boys' second live album, but were ultimately deemed unusable at the time. West Coast music legend Billy Hinsche, renowned for his work as one third of Dino, Desi, & Billy and decades serving as a Beach Boys bandmate -- not to mention riding shotgun on solo tours by Carl Wilson, Al Jardine, and Brian Wilson, respectively -- opened those Hawaii shows with Dino, Desi, & Billy and recalled the scene back in '67: "They flew or shipped Brian's big old white Baldwin organ (laughs) over there to begin with, and to see it onstage was really something, because I remember seeing it at his house. I remember them (during rehearsals) gathering around going over parts, and Carl was playing a Hofner bass. I think they were opening with 'The Letter,' because Carl loved that song by the Box Tops. It was an island crowd -- there were more mature people in the audience. It's just that they were more mellow. It was an island, laid-back island audience."

Rock writer Howie Edelson, a longtime Brother Records consultant, was part of the production team for 1967: Sunshine Tomorrow, wrote the liner notes for the set -- and even named the album. He explained how in the face of growing adversity for the group, the Beach Boys remained unfazed as they created some of the most timeless music of the 1960's: "The thing that you need to realize when listening to this material, is that they are slowly entering their lowest ebb. They're not scoring hits -- they haven't had a major hit in nearly a year with 'Good Vibrations.' They have not made the jump to FM radio. They did not play Monterey Pop -- there are a lot of things that are going against the Beach Boys. Yet, when they're in the studio, they're completely focused and forward thinking. There is no second-guessing in trying to appeal to the market or kowtow to an audience they're trying to impress. It is the same vision that the Beatles had."

Due to overwhelming and unexpected demand, the 180-gram vinyl release of Wild Honey has been pushed back to July 21st.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:11:46 AM »

Thanks for helping to make this happen, Howie. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:24:31 AM »

Loving it, loving all of it.

This is how it's done, folks. Get the Beach Boys together by honing in on what they all fondly remember, rather than bring them into divisive situations.

Loving the lucid comments from Brian, that he mentions doing an R&B thing and then, in that nanosecond just as you're starting to think "Well, wait, "Aren't You Glad" isn't exactly R&B, right?", Brian immediately follows up and explains it perfectly: That it's inspired by the R&R they liked.

I know the BBs aren't going to be as easily rallied about every archival project (we'll probably be waiting awhile for C50 live soundboards), but to start off here with WH, an album that *everybody* has warm and fuzzies in a way seemingly few other albums elicit, is the way to do it.

As Ed also alluded to in his review thread, I'm stoked that we finally have *The* team in place at BRI that can hopefully make this the first of many archival sets, and done right.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:52:43 AM »

the beach boys unleash sunshine tomorrow tomorrow

(I couldn't help it)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »

Its ok! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

The BBs Unleash 'Sunshine Tomorrow', hmm.  Wait a minute, that's familiar somehow, oh, oh, "Unleash the Love"??....

Mr. Love call your attorneys ASAP!! Razz
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 08:44:09 PM »

the beach boys unleash sunshine tomorrow tomorrow

(I couldn't help it)

You'll only be able to use it once, ever.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »

ITS ON APPLE MUSIC ALREADY!!! FYI. Just checked....in case you have apple music and wanted to listen.

Apple music is great for 10 bucks/month if you dont have it already, and even better if you have an iphone. easy to use with it.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »

...and I now have it on Spotify!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

That's great that the tracks are going on multiple platforms and outlets like that. No excuses not to listen!

But...my train doesn't run to the closest record shop that stocks it, I can't listen!!! Hogwash.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 09:52:00 PM »

ITS ON APPLE MUSIC ALREADY!!! FYI. Just checked....in case you have apple music and wanted to listen.

Apple music is great for 10 bucks/month if you dont have it already, and even better if you have an iphone. easy to use with it.

+1 for Apple Music, Spotify does the job too. $9.99 a month for nearly any album? Very much worth it to me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »

Thanks so much, Howie, for your dedication, tenacity, and being the prime mover in what just might be a major watershed in how the BBs are perceived by the general public. And not a moment too soon!!
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »

Sunshine Tomorrow here today  Love

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 06:22:05 AM »

Due to overwhelming and unexpected demand, the 180-gram vinyl release of Wild Honey has been pushed back to July 21st.

So I just found the new stereo 2017 mix on vinyl in a UK HMV. Got the shop assistant to check for me using the barcode and it was indeed released to day. All tracks are stereo apart from HSBI.

Can't wait to get it home this evening after work.

I appreciate I never post here but wanted to bring this up as not even Amazon UK had a listing for this vinyl.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 02:26:48 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was reading in allmusic about this, just to get their slant on it:  "he rest of the first disc is filled with outtakes from Wild Honey and live versions of its songs, all of which wind up being more interesting than the handful of Smiley Smile sessions that begin disc two. Although these are hardly terrible, they all recall the outtakes on the 2011 box"

The smiley smile outtakes are from Brians house? Not  from the  studios in the smile set?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »

Hi everyone,

I was reading in allmusic about this, just to get their slant on it:  "he rest of the first disc is filled with outtakes from Wild Honey and live versions of its songs, all of which wind up being more interesting than the handful of Smiley Smile sessions that begin disc two. Although these are hardly terrible, they all recall the outtakes on the 2011 box"

The smiley smile outtakes are from Brians house? Not  from the  studios in the smile set?

The reviewer just seems to be using the 2011 "Smile Session" box as a mildly unfavorable comparison to the SS material on Disc 2 of "Sunshine Tomorrow", which is weird considering how epic the 2011 boxed set was. It won a friggin' Grammy. There are obviously a myriad of ways to compare "Smile" material to the SS material, but part of the point of the SS material is how it's *different* from "Smile" recordings. It seems that *may* have been lost on the reviewer.

That allmusic review just seems to be a kind of boilerplate standard sort of review you find on those types of websites. I disagree with their lumping in "Sunshine Tomorrow" with all of the other "copyright extension" sets. But even that allmusic review is pretty positive overall; I guess I can't complain about it too much.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 05:56:58 PM »

Thank you. I kinda figured that,  and I guess it does say "unreleased". Smiley   I just wanted to be sure.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 06:38:05 PM »

That allmusic review just seems to be a kind of boilerplate standard sort of review you find on those types of websites. I disagree with their lumping in "Sunshine Tomorrow" with all of the other "copyright extension" sets. But even that allmusic review is pretty positive overall; I guess I can't complain about it too much.

Review was done by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, who has used reviews of other artist's works in the past to kind of take shots at Brian, so consider the source!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx