gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:01:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sunshine tomorrow" 1967  (Read 26730 times)
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »

I really think that a finished Lei'd In Hawaii album as presented on Sunshine Tomorrow had a good chance of being a hit and in that event given them some much-needed breathing room with Capitol.  Obviously things went differently and I'm grateful for the music they recorded for Wild Honey/Friends and 20/20, but with a hit live album in '67 you might have seen more realized versions of those albums and Brian sticking around longer.

I would have loved to see Lei'd in Hawaii released back then, but the overdubbed audience would have just ruined it for me IMO. It's the reason that I really don't like the original Party! album, but I adore the "uncovered" mix. I'm here to listen to the band play, not to hear clapping and screaming girls! Wink

I'm guessing because none of the tracks (save the two from Michigan '66) would have actually been "live" I think the audience overdubbing would have been more subdued, at least more than the original live album from '64 (which was made up of mostly real live recordings with real screams).  I mean, the entire reason why the live recordings from the Hawaii shows were deemed unusable (I think) is because there was too much screaming and interjections from the audience.  During one of the performances of God Only Knows, some girl is screaming Carl's name and Brian yells "HE'S SINGING, COOL IT!".

But who knows, maybe they would have hired hundreds of girls to scream at the Hollywood Bowl for half an hour with a tape recorder running.  I'm not sure how the overdubbing would have worked.

I have never heard offered the excuse before that the reason Lei'd wasn't released was because of excessive positive audience response (screams, etc).  However I have read that reasons proffered were a sub-par performance by Brian (probably not to be unexpected given his lack of recent live performance experience) or some sort of snafu with the live recordings which made the majority of them unusable.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2017, 05:34:10 AM »

I see the set has debuted at 145 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Not a bad showing at all for a set like this. And, only 3 spaces lower than 50 Big Ones at 142.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »

eat
eat up
eat up
honey!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:43 PM »

I see the set has debuted at 145 on the Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart. Not a bad showing at all for a set like this. And, only 3 spaces lower than 50 Big Ones at 142.

Wow, that is really disappointing, I thought the showing on the Amazon charts would translate to a much higher position for SST on the Billboard charts.  It got pretty good pre-release publicity too!  Wonder if the "1967" in the title may have worked against it?  I really thought the cover was a bit bland also...I was perusing the previous Billboard and noticed several Beatles albums and even the last Glenn Campbell album charting very high on the charts, so it is not performing so well against some of its contemporaries....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2021, 03:17:25 AM »

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was listening to the set again yesterday and the day before and I just wanted to say what a great set this stll is! Such a wonderful work by everyone involved, so thanks for that!
The way that the team was able to keep the charme of the original mono version, yet still make this new version a new listening experience. So again, sorry to not add anything new or interesting to talk about, but a big thank you to Mark, Alan, Howie and everyone involved in giving us this release! Your work is appreciated!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2021, 07:00:20 PM »

Sorry to bump this thread, but I was listening to the set again yesterday and the day before and I just wanted to say what a great set this stll is! Such a wonderful work by everyone involved, so thanks for that!
The way that the team was able to keep the charme of the original mono version, yet still make this new version a new listening experience. So again, sorry to not add anything new or interesting to talk about, but a big thank you to Mark, Alan, Howie and everyone involved in giving us this release! Your work is appreciated!
Agreed. Wish we had gotten physical sets for the followups.
gregcoffeymusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2021, 09:09:57 AM »

Excellent review - thanks Ed!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx