gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:35:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sunshine tomorrow" 1967  (Read 26528 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 08:12:04 PM »

This set will indeed "right" the history after attempts to rewrite it, especially in the past 4-5 years. The proof is on the recordings.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:40 PM »

"Wild Honey" has long been my favorite Beach Boys LP.  It is unique, sexy, warm, in touch with nature, and evidence of the genius of Brian Wilson.  And "Back to the roots" before it was cool.   I also feel it is "Wilson/Love's" finest hour.  Mike added some great lyrics and vocals.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2017, 08:55:17 PM »

He still sounds present as hell on Friends, too, so I think it'd be accurate to say that it was afterwards he started to take a step back, although not for TOO long because he did a lot of work in 1969.

I think it becomes clear when Brian became less involved production-wise when the group started moving more into "rockier" territory, in that wasn't really Brian's bag so to speak. Brian was more into art-pop.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:43 PM »

I was always perplexed though about the mix ; it always sounded like I was playing it in a submarine.  Until this. This stereo mix explodes with musical colors, stuff I have never heard before.

Ray, I appreciate this comment. Being a radio guy attuned to audio, I always found Wild Honey to sound "muddy." Point of fact, and I know some people will not like this, I always found the unreleased SMiLE material to also sound a bit muddy...even the stereo outtakes.

Hearing the stereo remix of Wild Honey, I am amazed at the clarity and coloration of this material. I felt the same way after hearing the Pet Sounds box set. These mono mixdowns back in the day negatively affected the high end of the audio. This is magnificant to hear.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2017, 05:03:59 AM »

I was always perplexed though about the mix ; it always sounded like I was playing it in a submarine.  Until this. This stereo mix explodes with musical colors, stuff I have never heard before.

Ray, I appreciate this comment. Being a radio guy attuned to audio, I always found Wild Hney to sound "muddy." Point of fact, and I know some people will not like this, I always found the unreleased SMiLE materiao also sound a bit muddy...even the stereo outtakes.
Hearing the stereo remix of Wild Honey, I am amazed at the clarity and coloration of this material. I felt the same way after hearing the Pet Sounds box set. These mono mixdowns back in the day negatively affected the high end of the audio. This is magnificant to hear.

John.   Muddy.  That was the elusive word I was looking for !  Someone posted it is like lifting a cover off your speakers. This mix , in my mind, eliminates the "made at home" sound , and shows it was recorded beautifully
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2017, 05:47:05 AM »

Stores that are selling it?
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2017, 06:08:20 AM »

I have to give kudos to Mark for the sound of this release.  Some of his masterings for MIC and the stereo versions of Today and Summer Days were too compressed for my taste, but this Wild Honey release has wide open dynamics and sounds spectacular - I can really crank it up! 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2017, 06:14:50 AM »

Ì had stomach surgery last week. Hearing this CD has put a huge smile back on my face.

Hope you're back on track now, HV (in more ways than one).

Getting there, thanks. This remix has definitely helped.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2017, 10:21:58 AM »

Stores that are selling it?

Looking at the website, many Best Buy stores are carrying it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »

"Wild Honey" has long been my favorite Beach Boys LP.  It is unique, sexy, warm, in touch with nature, and evidence of the genius of Brian Wilson.  And "Back to the roots" before it was cool.   I also feel it is "Wilson/Love's" finest hour.  Mike added some great lyrics and vocals.

Aum Bop Didit, this is exactly how I feel about Wild Honey!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:21:54 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »

WH, in the year of Hendrix, Cream, the Doors, Sgt. Pepper, etc., seemed to lack ambition : lo-fi home recordings, only 24 minutes long (and even at length there were still filler cuts). With WH, the band announced they were out of the big-time, masterpiece-making, musically ground-breaking game. In a way, it was their 'Nashville Skylines'.

Of course, removed as it now is from the context of its times,we can appreciate its virtues, especially with this new mix : an energetic collection of good-to-great soul-inflected pop tunes.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:51:00 AM by clack » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »

I think the backing track to "Aren't You Glad" is a revelation.  There's a lot going on in there.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

What are those girls shouting at Brian at the end of Gettin' Hungry (live) at around 3:11? It sounds like "Hey Brian how's your dog?!" but I can't quite make it out.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »

It gets a good review on Pitchfork:
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-beach-boys-1967-sunshine-tomorrow/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »

WH, in the year of Hendrix, Cream, the Doors, Sgt. Pepper, etc., seemed to lack ambition : lo-fi home recordings, only 24 minutes long (and even at length there were still filler cuts). With WH, the band announced they were out of the big-time, masterpiece-making, musically ground-breaking game. In a way, it was their 'Nashville Skylines'.

Of course, removed as it now is from the context of its times,we can appreciate its virtues, especially with this new mix : an energetic collection of good-to-great soul-inflected pop tunes.

Twas/tis a humble little offering....
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »

The short length made it seem humbler than some of the contemporary albums of 67 - though Disraeli Gears was pretty short too.  My new Wild Honey extended album that could have been released in 67:

Wild Honey
Aren't You Glad
I Was Made to Love Her (long version)
Country Air
A Thing or Two
The Letter

Darlin
I'd Love Just Once to See You
Here Comes the Night
Let the Wind Blow
Game of Love
How She Boogalooed It
Mama Says

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2017, 05:10:58 PM »

After listening to the two CD's the last few days, I think they're brilliant! The new stereo remasters of the Wild Honey album for the first time ever are magnificent! You can really hear the quality of the instruments, let alone the vox, to the muggy mono original.

The WH sessions, to the failed live in Hawaii concerts, to other concerts and the Smiley Smile sessions are out of this world! The Little Pad backing track/instrumental is the stand out track for me. I've been waiting many years for something of that calibre regarding Little Pad.

The liner notes are just wonderful with great artwork/pictures.

10/10 overall for me.

CCW
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »

Today was a typical work Saturday.  Up at 6:00.  Prep.  On air at 8:00.  Home at 4:00.  Relax.  And now...an uninterrupted chance to listen, marvel and really/truly appreciate.

Geez...these guys were good.  SOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooo good.  I always thought that Wild Honey [the l.p.] was quickly tossed together in order to cover for the sinking of Smiley Smile so that the group could get some stuff back on the radio.  Maybe it was 'cause it sounds overly simple and there's only about 25 minutes of actual content.  No song longer than 2:45.  3 of 'em less than 2 minutes.  But here are some missing pieces which could have filled it out and made the album even better than it is.

The 'highlights' really are a highlight as they show that the 'tuneage' wasn't that easy-peasy/simple after all.  I really enjoyed hearing the original l.p. in stereo.  Lonely Days would have been a nice add.  I quite like THIS version of I'd Like Just Once to See You.  Some of the I Was Made to Love Her vocal calisthenics are just a HUGE treat.  REALLY neat to hear that.

I DO love hearing Carl singin' Wild Honey live.  Suddenly I have a greater appreciation for how wonderful the song really is.  Previously I kind of wrote it off as a weaker moment...over performed.  Country Air is one of their all time best songs.  Helped to make the original album.  VERY good live performance.  THIS is where Carl really started to take over...phase 1.  Suddenly the musicality factor really began to blossom as the 'noseitis' factor took a welcome back seat.  'Boogalooed It' works WAY better faster...as it was originally recorded.  It loses it's excitement and energy here. The group effort on Aren't You Glad is terrific...even Mike's lead bits work well as he pulls it back and sings at least from his throat.  Carl sails it through the uprights and the harmonies are bang on GREAT.

THAT was a better live set than Live in London.  Far less inane chatter from the 'front man'.

And I quote..."What's the matter?"  [annoyed]  There-in lies the difference.

These Vegetables proved to be good for my health.  T'was a song..beyond GVs and H and Vs which I initially also liked on the SS album.  This is VERY cool.

Many of these little snippets like Wind Chimes are worth the price of admission all by themselves.  Others?  You can see/hear why certain changes were made in terms of who would get the lead.  In some cases I'm pretty sure that I would have liked the album [SS] better if they had used some of these arrangements.

Lei'd?  The Letter?  No.  Not really.  The Box Tops, Joe Cocker and the Arbors all did it ENTIRELY better.  I wonder why the BBs thought that THEY should do it?  BAD idea.  The songs sound like they're from an early rehearsal.  Most of them are too slow.  With a little help from My Friends?  Absolutely NO!!!  Not warranted or necessary.  BOOO!

God Only Knows is special.  THAT one is a keeper.  S'all good.  ['cept for the tink tinks on the high hat.  No sense of the beat at all.]  Same on Good Vibes.  Take that stick away from high hat 'boy'.  Otherwise...Pretty good.

Game of Love.  Sometimes you just have to leave well enough alone.  Like wouldn't people have wondered WHY are THEY doing THAT song?Huh??  I can't figure it out 50 years later.  A better version of The Letter here.  Help from my Friends?  Still No, NO, NO!!!  What did Olive Oil say Popeye?  1,000 times NO!!!

Screaming?  Gawd no!!!  All those oldies but goldies from 5 years ago?  Really?  Surfin?  Too slow.  Kinda sloppy.  Dopey intro to Gettin' Hungry...typical of the front man schtik I just didn't ever really 'dig'.  Fairly good rendition of a song that just never quite made it for me.  Close but still no cigar.

Hawaii.  I prefer it when Brian and his gang do it.  Worked for Mike with Kona Coast.  Nice to have this one.  Heroes and Villains?  Nice.  Well done boys.  Carl with his finger on the pulse.

We'll remember allllllllllways...the good old days.  Like the first live album version.  Speaking of which...HERE is I Get Around...actually performed live.  Needs a bit of work...and more in the way of respect from 1 guy in particular.  It was, after all, a # 1 hit.

How 'bout that voice on Brian?  Clean, [mostly] clear, true.  GREAT!!!  Also worth the price of admission.  A real highlight!!!  And going out with a BIG bang...Surfer Girl...still sounding like a million bucks +.

Thanks Mark.  Thanks Alan.  Thanks Brian.  Thanks 'Boys'.

This is so outstanding.  It helps to enable one to begin to forget what happened on the 4th of July.  THESE are the Beach Boys...in mind, body and spirit.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:12:51 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:09 AM »

I'm very much in love with the new stereo mix of Wild Honey. We were BLASTING it on Saturday night! One thing that grabs me is that while it might not have been hip in 1967...how would it be received had it been released in 2017 by some indie rock group? My gut says the Pitchfork crowd would be all over themselves talking about how incredible it was. Same goes for the Hawaii recordings.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 12:50:38 PM »

Aren't You Glad would have sounded a whole lot better without Brian's falsetto, it doesn't fit.

The theremin opening on Wild Honey is unique, but some other type of instrumental opening would have been better.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 03:37:08 PM »

Geez...these guys were good.  SOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooo good.  I always thought that Wild Honey [the l.p.] was quickly tossed together in order to cover for the sinking of Smiley Smile so that the group could get some stuff back on the radio.  Maybe it was 'cause it sounds overly simple and there's only about 25 minutes of actual content.  No song longer than 2:45.  3 of 'em less than 2 minutes.  But here are some missing pieces which could have filled it out and made the album even better than it is.

I think you were spot on with what you thought about the need to get some product out quick after the commercial bombardment that was SS.  I used to know the timing on this record, think it was even shorter than 25 mins, like 21 and change or something, egregiously short in fact.  However, from the tracks presented as outtakes there was not much else of worth recorded for this session, guess they were in a frenzy to get it out by Christmas.  I do remember seeing this album in the racks and thinking how unique a cover it was, which I also thought about SS.  I thought at least marketing wise those covers were home runs, but apparently the public was not as into them as I was.

Always thought it was interesting that Party was a gatefold album cover and even 20/20 but none of the in betweeners were....did that signify some loss of confidence in the group or was Capitol still trying to recoup on the Smile covers fiasco?  Maybe they just wanted to send them out in style, though I have wondered if leaving the titles off the permanent cover of 20/20 as opposed to a cover sticking announcing "including the hits" was a wise move.....Was this a conscious aping by the group of The White Album not having the titles listed on it.  It would be mildly amusing if it was, as I have always thought of 20/20 as the BB's White Album, with the grab-baggy approach to repertoire....I used to try to sell it to others on that basis, but met with little agreement!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 09:17:59 PM »

I really think that a finished Lei'd In Hawaii album as presented on Sunshine Tomorrow had a good chance of being a hit and in that event given them some much-needed breathing room with Capitol.  Obviously things went differently and I'm grateful for the music they recorded for Wild Honey/Friends and 20/20, but with a hit live album in '67 you might have seen more realized versions of those albums and Brian sticking around longer.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »

I really think that a finished Lei'd In Hawaii album as presented on Sunshine Tomorrow had a good chance of being a hit and in that event given them some much-needed breathing room with Capitol.  Obviously things went differently and I'm grateful for the music they recorded for Wild Honey/Friends and 20/20, but with a hit live album in '67 you might have seen more realized versions of those albums and Brian sticking around longer.

I would have loved to see Lei'd in Hawaii released back then, but the overdubbed audience would have just ruined it for me IMO. It's the reason that I really don't like the original Party! album, but I adore the "uncovered" mix. I'm here to listen to the band play, not to hear clapping and screaming girls! Wink

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2017, 10:36:39 PM »

I would have loved to see Lei'd in Hawaii released back then, but the overdubbed audience would have just ruined it for me IMO. It's the reason that I really don't like the original Party! album, but I adore the "uncovered" mix. I'm here to listen to the band play, not to hear clapping and screaming girls! Wink

I'm guessing because none of the tracks (save the two from Michigan '66) would have actually been "live" I think the audience overdubbing would have been more subdued, at least more than the original live album from '64 (which was made up of mostly real live recordings with real screams).  I mean, the entire reason why the live recordings from the Hawaii shows were deemed unusable (I think) is because there was too much screaming and interjections from the audience.  During one of the performances of God Only Knows, some girl is screaming Carl's name and Brian yells "HE'S SINGING, COOL IT!".

But who knows, maybe they would have hired hundreds of girls to scream at the Hollywood Bowl for half an hour with a tape recorder running.  I'm not sure how the overdubbing would have worked.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2017, 04:02:35 AM »

Aren't You Glad would have sounded a whole lot better without Brian's falsetto, it doesn't fit.

The theremin opening on Wild Honey is unique, but some other type of instrumental opening would have been better.

Just two of the many available ways of being completely wrong, there.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx