gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:19:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sunshine tomorrow" 1967  (Read 26525 times)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 04:30:01 PM »

Ugh, hearing people's reactions is making the wait for my copy absolutely unbearable!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

This feels like you are diving into the stained glass window.

I am stunned at what I am hearing.

Like a few people on this board I lived through the disappointment of SMiLE and the crushing disappointment of Smiley Smile.  Then seeing the group in late November in Westchester County and hearing Darlin' live before the record came out.  Then ; a short few months after Smiley Smile is released here comes the Wild Honey album.  Loved it from the first needle drop. I have never heard another record that sounded anything like it , and still haven't.  I was always perplexed though about the mix ; it always sounded like I was playing it in a submarine.  Until this. This stereo mix explodes with musical colors, stuff I have never heard before.

I need to indulge myself a bit.  I got thinking ; what if all these tracks on SS/WH were mixed like this ? What if there weren't two completely disparate releases , but rather a double record that included all the SS/WH stuff , as well as some of the Lei'd in Hawaii stuff; in other words The Beach Boys version of the White Album , only a year earlier.

Or some variation of that.  It would have been a monolith record , in this pristine sound , and I cannot help wonder how 1968 forward would have been.   I see and hear a very active Brian Wilson, fully engaged with the group , working on a ton of product. It's all here; great songs, great performances, spectacular vocals , new takes on older material.  If only. 

I will get my coat now

Gosh, Ray, I absolutely love that "stained glass" line! Obviously we had similar experiences with the original release of WILD HONEY, and somewhat similar experiences with "Sunshine tomorrow".

I just literally blew my mind, listening to disc 1 driving down the coast from Santa Barbara through Malibu to West L.A.  Somehow there was no traffic, and the timing was perfect, as the "Mama Says" sessions were just wrapping up as I hit traffic on the Santa Monica Freeway.  It made me want to turn right around and drive back to Santa Barbara to listen to disc 2, until I walked in to news reports of the hills of Malibu being on fire...  O.K., I won't let that spook me, I'll just slip on the old headphones and listen to it here
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »

Is WIld Honey The Beach Boys' most special album? Is this where the group blossomed like a flower? Is this the record all fans and group members can agree on? Is Sunshine Tomorrow the release that brings everyone together ?

Mine's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Gonna grab some AA batteries for my discman and my best headphones.

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 07:41:56 PM »

This feels like you are diving into the stained glass window.

I am stunned at what I am hearing.

Like a few people on this board I lived through the disappointment of SMiLE and the crushing disappointment of Smiley Smile.  Then seeing the group in late November in Westchester County and hearing Darlin' live before the record came out.  Then ; a short few months after Smiley Smile is released here comes the Wild Honey album.  Loved it from the first needle drop. I have never heard another record that sounded anything like it , and still haven't.  I was always perplexed though about the mix ; it always sounded like I was playing it in a submarine.  Until this. This stereo mix explodes with musical colors, stuff I have never heard before.

I need to indulge myself a bit.  I got thinking ; what if all these tracks on SS/WH were mixed like this ? What if there weren't two completely disparate releases , but rather a double record that included all the SS/WH stuff , as well as some of the Lei'd in Hawaii stuff; in other words The Beach Boys version of the White Album , only a year earlier.

Or some variation of that.  It would have been a monolith record , in this pristine sound , and I cannot help wonder how 1968 forward would have been.   I see and hear a very active Brian Wilson, fully engaged with the group , working on a ton of product. It's all here; great songs, great performances, spectacular vocals , new takes on older material.  If only. 

I will get my coat now

Gosh, Ray, I absolutely love that "stained glass" line! Obviously we had similar experiences with the original release of WILD HONEY, and somewhat similar experiences with "Sunshine tomorrow".

I just literally blew my mind, listening to disc 1 driving down the coast from Santa Barbara through Malibu to West L.A.  Somehow there was no traffic, and the timing was perfect, as the "Mama Says" sessions were just wrapping up as I hit traffic on the Santa Monica Freeway.  It made me want to turn right around and drive back to Santa Barbara to listen to disc 2, until I walked in to news reports of the hills of Malibu being on fire...  O.K., I won't let that spook me, I'll just slip on the old headphones and listen to it here

Ed ;  I expected a really stellar mix ; some studio stuff I have never heard.  I was gob smacked. In 1967, I used to put my ear on the speaker to hear everything . There is so much on these discs that I never knew was there ; hearing it fresh 50 years on is astounding!  I am hearing things on the Smiley Smike stuff that just opened it up for me ; for example Fall Breaks. For 50 years I never could figure out the Woody Woodpecker Symphony. It is the "candle music"  Now I know !  The vocal arrangements and singing is astounding.  As for the live stuff ; another revelation.  So THIS is what they would have sounded like at Monterrey. Last time for the original five; these live sessions.

Oh. And Brian's lead on Here Comes the Night just went into my top ten !

Kudos to all involved in bringing this to fruition.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »

Is WIld Honey The Beach Boys' most special album? Is this where the group blossomed like a flower? Is this the record all fans and group members can agree on? Is Sunshine Tomorrow the release that brings everyone together ?

Mine's supposed to arrive tomorrow. Gonna grab some AA batteries for my discman and my best headphones.

Define everyone.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:46 PM »

Seriously though, if anything happens I'm glad the general public and the fanbase too will get to hear how the sessions for WH (and Smiley) went down, and the proof will be in the audio. Some misconceptions have been circulating in recent years, so this perhaps like the PS and Smile session sets will allow people to hear it firsthand and not rely on other sources of info to tell the story.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 08:52:28 PM »

most stories and documentaries seem to suggest Brian collapsed right after 'Smile'.
'Wild Honey' is evidence this is not true. Brian is all over this, and Friends and Sunflower.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:14 PM »

most stories and documentaries seem to suggest Brian collapsed right after 'Smile'.
'Wild Honey' is evidence this is not true. Brian is all over this, and Friends and Sunflower.

You're hitting on one facet of a bigger picture (and other issues), but it's true. The audio on these tapes will shatter some of the arguments and claims made as recent as in the last few years, and as close as on this very forum.

I cannot wait to hear the thoughts after people actually hear the sessions being run and how they were being run (and by whom). The proof is in not only the music itself, and the quality of those tracks, but also in whose voices are actually heard crafting those songs from the earliest takes on tape. And it's great that people will also be able to hear in high quality sound the Hawaii concert material, and judge for themselves the quality of the music being performed. If most people enjoy or think that music is good, then gone in a flash will be the oft-told talking point about how the "drugs" ruined the music. Or maybe it was over-consumption of Coca-Cola among certain band members in Hawaii, who knows.  LOL

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:44 PM »

Why is How She Boogalooed It only stereo for the first part? Very disappointing finish to an otherwise stellar stereo version of  the album.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »

I think many, many folks knew that WILD HONEY is something special (and unique) in the BBs career. But given what happened to Brian and the band that year, and what we know is the darker period that was to befall Brian beginning in mid-'68, far too much of the output in the frenetic period when the BBs were moving from Capitol to Warners has never gotten its proper due from the public at large.

That's why SUNSHINE TOMORROW is such an amazing opportunity to rewrite that history, and while the story will get darker and more complicated as we move forward into the early 70s, what will continue to emerge is just how great the music was in the midst of all that--confirming the testimony of Stephen Desper, who was in the middle of things throughout these years and witnessed the growth and evolution of Dennis and Carl as songwriters and producers.

Many of us already revere the music that poured out of all the band members in this time frame, but now comes a moment that those who had long held those feelings for this music probably never thought could come to pass--the aesthetic vindication of a band that was pretty much kicked to the curb by the "hippie tastemakers" of that time frame. An eye-and-ear-opening experience for those who too hastily decided that this music fell short of the mark because it wasn't SMiLE.

Something we've been waiting to happen for fifty years. Which is why it's such a precious moment--particularly when we have the superb and exalted testimony of Ed and Ray to show us that even our cherished "insiders" are having their minds blown by what they're hearing. And have proven again that despite everything that sometimes gets in the way of things here at SS (remarkably enough, analogous to what has sometimes gotten in the way of the BBs themselves), this place is a special place, and is still a vital center of a gospel tale that somehow manages to overcome all animosity, leaving us wide-eyed with wonder.

We were all with you in spirit on that great, great ride you took, Ed. How many times have I taken a similar ride, up and down the California coast (but often making that exact ride you described) accompanied by the BBs--and feeling so incredibly happy to be alive and having that music wash over me. And sometimes following Ray's lead and making my own playlist, finding connections in the music that might never have become apparent to me otherwise.

Let's think and wish and hope and pray that the public finally "gets it" wrt the BBs "fall breaks and back to winter" rebirth. If so, then we can lay bushels of flowers at the feet of Mark and Alan and Howie and the whole team for allowing us to (as Ray so beautifully put it) dive into the stained glass window--the singular, funky religion of WILD HONEY...a set of songs that, as it turns out, can tell us a lot more that "a thing or two."
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »

IMO, Brian had as much involvement with Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, and Friends as he did with Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:53 AM »

WOW. Is all I can say.

How She Boogalooed fucking cooks like crazy.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 01:02:41 AM »

Soooo many highlights, but I can't get over that rockin' Honey Get Home riff!  And the alternate Can't Wait Too Long, Whistle In, etc...  Cool Guy
This release will make you fall in love with The Beach Boys all over again.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:52 AM »

This release will make you fall in love with The Beach Boys all over again.

As if we needed a reason. Grin

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone involved: Mark, Alan, Howie, Capitol Records and of course, Brian & the boys back in 1967. Just further proof of something that we've always known, that this is the greatest American band of all time
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2017, 01:20:52 AM »

Why is How She Boogalooed It only stereo for the first part?

"No extraction mixes (a la 'Help Me, Rhonda'). The one standout that comes to mind is that in 'How She Boogalooed It' the instrumental portion couldn't be reconstructed in stereo, so for however many bars that organ solo is, it slides seamlessly into mono and back out into stereo. Seamless. Beautiful."

Source: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25077.msg609256.html#msg609256

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2017, 03:07:55 AM »

Ì had stomach surgery last week. Hearing this CD has put a huge smile back on my face.

Such a great mix Mark and Alan. The bass is wonderful, very organic. The use of dynamic processors is much more subtle in this release, and the material really breathes because of it. Those background vocals, which were really missing in action in the original mix, really shine through in this.

Thanks guys!

Just hearing the Aren't You Glad session highlights. Revelatory.

Just blown away. After 30 years a fan it takes quite a lot to get these jaded ears to prick up and listen. This release has achieved that  and more.
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2017, 04:52:13 AM »

It's crazy this stuff hasn't been released till now. That Can't Wait Too Long is fucking fantastic.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2017, 05:00:22 AM »

Ì had stomach surgery last week. Hearing this CD has put a huge smile back on my face.

Hope you're back on track now, HV (in more ways than one).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2017, 06:13:02 AM »

Why is How She Boogalooed It only stereo for the first part? Very disappointing finish to an otherwise stellar stereo version of  the album.

I believe the organ/electric piano overdub isn't on the extant multi-track tapes, so it goes to mono for that portion of the song. I'm a few hours away from listening to this myself, but it's my understanding that it goes back to stereo after they segue to that overdub.

Long story short, a similar story to Mike's bridge vocal on WIBN, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2017, 06:34:52 AM »

"No extraction mixes (a la 'Help Me, Rhonda'). The one standout that comes to mind is that in 'How She Boogalooed It' the instrumental portion couldn't be reconstructed in stereo, so for however many bars that organ solo is, it slides seamlessly into mono and back out into stereo. Seamless. Beautiful."

Source: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25077.msg609256.html#msg609256

Whoever is quoted there turned out to be wrong. The track never reverts back to stereo. Too bad they just didn't include an extraction mix if that was the only stereo option. It would have been better than nothing.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2017, 06:48:17 AM »

Whoever is quoted there turned out to be wrong. The track never reverts back to stereo. Too bad they just didn't include an extraction mix if that was the only stereo option. It would have been better than nothing.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it's apparent they used all the extant multi-track tapes they had, and apparently made the decision to not resort to extractions.

I can be as nitpicky as anyone, but I'm not going to go out of my way right now to let BRI or Capitol/UMe think the hardcore fans are impossible to please (I can only imagine *someone else* complaining they "resorted" to extractions had they gone down that path) and will nitpick this stuff to death.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2017, 06:59:22 AM »

I would've done what the Zombies did with "This Will Be Our Year" from Odessey and Oracle.

The horn section on the song was directly added to the mono mix, and does not appear on any stereo version.

With the 50th anniversary release this year, the mono version is with the main album, but the stereo version without horns is a bonus track.

I would've included a stereo version of HSBI without the keyboard part as a bonus "alternate mix".
Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 09:39:05 AM »

Just noticed that "Untitled (Redwood)" is the same track as "Holidays (Instrumental Insert)," which has appeared on such "unofficial" releases as Harmony Friends (Disc 2) and Unsurpassed Masters. Vol. 20 (1968-1969) (Disc 2).
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »

The "All Day, All Night (Whistle In)" alt. versions have a LOT in common with the "tape explosion" section of one of the unused sections of "Heroes and Villains" — especially the low bass vocal parts.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 08:03:54 PM »

Jumping on here for a sec because I am so overwhelmed.  This is an amazing set.  So much to say, but i will limit it to two things:

1) Smiley Smile sessions are the peak.  Man, Little Pad was excellent.

2) Even if you got tired or bored of the Wally Heider/Hawaii rehearsals, you are in for a treat -- Brian's mono mixes make the Lei'd album WORK.  It's night and day and worth the entire price of admission.

Oh, and those saying this will rewrite Beach Boys history are right.  Brian is in complete control on all of these tracks.  The Wild Honey sessions make this conclusively clear.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx