gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:10:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sunshine tomorrow" 1967  (Read 26527 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

In all my years as a fan of music, and most of those years being a fan/friend/aficionado of The Beach Boys, I've never written a review. What a daunting start then, to be the first to at least drop a few comments about this album that it seems like I've waited over 50 years to arrive.  Now, neither the discs nor the hype were unexpected.  Heck, tackling one of my all-time favorite albums, combined with an in-depth listen to what might have been with SMILEY, those two alone were worth the price of admission.  However, actually holding it in my hands, and just glancing at the back cover made my hands sweat and my heart race...

There couldn't have been a better way of sequencing these discs than breaking them in sections the way that they did, and for me it made for the absolute best way to listen.  I'm sure there are those that are so anxious to hear the gems that they'll listen from start to finish, or maybe jump to certain things they have waited years to hear.  But for me it was similar to appreciating a good book or a fine wine, and it needed to be slowly savored and enjoyed. So we start off with WILD HONEY STEREO, an experience as memorable as slipping the vinyl on my turntable 50 years ago(!?!?)  It truly does provide a whole new level of enjoyment, and caused my first pause, to stop and reflect on what I'd just heard and how much more depth and genius existed in these songs that I thought I knew so well.

By the time I'd recovered enough to move on to the 2nd section, WILD HONEY SESSIONS, I found myself never able to make it further than 1 or 2 tracks.  Sometimes, I was just so floored that I had to stop to absorb, while other times I had to instantly replay a track   "Can't Wait Too Long" is something I've long dreamed of...  perhaps I'd heard more of this in a studio many years ago, but for all of these years I've only had the snippets that all collectors have.  This one is truly a lost gem.  My afternoon passed in a blur just going over and over this section, then finally letting disc 1 play out with Live Unreleased Honey 67-70.

Disc 2 I really wasn't prepared for.  Everyone has always spoken about 'what might have been' had SMiLE been completed, however, I was one of the old-timers that was let down when we got Smiley Smile instead.  Heck, I lived Pet Sounds, and I'd seen Brian on Bernstein doing Surf's Up, I read the articles about what the big guy was up too, so Smiley was a major disappointment.  However, to hear what was going on at Bellagio, I so much understand why Dennis (referred) to the album as a bunt.  I can only image what he was feeling, first having SMiLE aborted, then seeing Smiley Smile released as so much less of what it could have been.

What could have been floored me from the first notes of disc 2's Smiley Smile Sessions.  I literally was plastered back in my chair will headphones blasting my ears, in what to me was an almost religious experience!  When I heard Fred Vail's voice I had to pause, reflect, and immediately listen again.  You guys won't believe the treat you're in for...

On to the previously unreleased 'live" stuff, and a true highlight for me is "Surfer Girl".  I've gotten as far as the end of this section, but have saved the last 2 sections for something special today.  Bottom line, if this is the start of the new BRI, the new Capitol, and the start of the archival releases from this period forward, we are all in for quite an experience these coming years.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:50 AM »

Thanks Ed! This one has me excited.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »

Thanks for the review ... I'm honestly more excited for this set than any archival release from the past. Wouldn't have thought Wild Honey and Smiley would ever receive the Pet Sounds treatment.

But I'm most interested in the original Leo's in Hawaii mono mixes. Whoever was involved in this decision - really good one! I'd love to see more original mixes released.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:32:39 AM by DonnyL » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:34:09 AM »

Great to hear from Mr. Ed Roach on this one. Waiting as patiently as I can for Friday (assuming Amazon gets it to me as they've promised!).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »

Thanks for the great review, Ed. It has gotten me into a kind of excitement over a release that I haven't felt since they released Smile, this is gonna be a big deal, I know it. That "Aren't You Glad" mix was enough to make me pick up 2 copies of this so BRI can keep putting out these collections!

Quick question for anybody who knows this stuff: when exactly will the album become available for streaming? Is it 12:00 AM PST on the 30th? Do they release it a little later than that in the AM? Would love to fire this album up as soon as it turns Friday since that Amazon delivery probably won't come in until a bit after noon or so.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »

Wow, many thanks, Mr Roach. Now waiting will be just that little bit harder! Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »

Thanks for the review Ed! BTW, wasn't it actually Carl who referred to Smiley Smile as a "bunt instead of a grand slam"?

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »

Thanks for the review Ed! BTW, wasn't it actually Carl who referred to Smiley Smile as a "bunt instead of a grand slam"?

Was it?  I meant to look up the exact quote, but could have sworn it was Dennis.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »

Sounds exciting, and I cannot wait!!!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »

Thanks for the great review, Ed. It has gotten me into a kind of excitement over a release that I haven't felt since they released Smile, this is gonna be a big deal, I know it. That "Aren't You Glad" mix was enough to make me pick up 2 copies of this so BRI can keep putting out these collections!

Quick question for anybody who knows this stuff: when exactly will the album become available for streaming? Is it 12:00 AM PST on the 30th? Do they release it a little later than that in the AM? Would love to fire this album up as soon as it turns Friday since that Amazon delivery probably won't come in until a bit after noon or so.

My experience has been that albums begin streaming at midnight Eastern time, so 11:00 P.M. Central my time and presumably 9:00 Pacific the evening of the 29th for you.
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »

(I use Amazon's service and have to close out and restart the service to listen to new music at that time, FYI. Not sure how other services work.)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »

Was it?  I meant to look up the exact quote, but could have sworn it was Dennis.

According to the wikipedia article on Smiley Smile, authors Philip Lambert and Jim DeRogatis attribute the quote to Carl. I wouldn't have been surprised if some people attributed it to Dennis, as he was pretty openly critical on some of the groups' later albums like 15 Big Ones and MIU Album.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »

Yeah, it was Carl.  Funny part is, it was a truncated quote. ..o can't remember where it originally appeared,  but the full version is kind of funny on the sense it shows a somewhat lacking knowledge of baseball.

I'm gonna see if i can hunt it down

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

Man, I hope my Amazon delivery of Sunshine Tomorrow shows up today.  I want to listen to this in my car all weekend.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »

Funny enough, Carl's quote leads off the first paragraph of Peter Reum & David Beard's excellent article on Smiley Smile in the latest issue of Endless Summer Quarterly
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 09:15:16 AM »

I have been informed that my copy is sitting on my dining room table, waiting for me to come home from work.  Dang, Ed, you've got me all excited. 
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »

What perfect timing this is, to release this to kick off the 4th of July weekend! I'm excited as he!! to blast this in my car and to listen closely with headphones too.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »

Its a BBs holiday! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 09:49:28 AM »

Dang, Ed, you've got me all excited. 

Hmmm,  I'm used to hearing that in a female voice....
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »

LOL

Ironically,  as I'm reading this, I'm listening to 20/20 , and an infamous tag started playing aa I started typing this response. ..

Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »

This feels like you are diving into the stained glass window.

I am stunned at what I am hearing.

Like a few people on this board I lived through the disappointment of SMiLE and the crushing disappointment of Smiley Smile.  Then seeing the group in late November in Westchester County and hearing Darlin' live before the record came out.  Then ; a short few months after Smiley Smile is released here comes the Wild Honey album.  Loved it from the first needle drop. I have never heard another record that sounded anything like it , and still haven't.  I was always perplexed though about the mix ; it always sounded like I was playing it in a submarine.  Until this. This stereo mix explodes with musical colors, stuff I have never heard before.

I need to indulge myself a bit.  I got thinking ; what if all these tracks on SS/WH were mixed like this ? What if there weren't two completely disparate releases , but rather a double record that included all the SS/WH stuff , as well as some of the Lei'd in Hawaii stuff; in other words The Beach Boys version of the White Album , only a year earlier.

Something like this :

Side 1

Heroes and Villains
I'd Love Just Once to See You
Can't Wait Too Long
Game of Love
With Me Tonight
The Letter
Wonderful
Aren't You Glad

Side 2

Darlin'
Country Air
Wind Chimes
Let the Wind Blow
Gettin' Hungry
You're So Good to Me rehearsal
Vegetables
A Thing Or Two

Side 3

Wild Honey
All Day ( Whistle In...or as Brian calls it Remember the Day
How She Boogalooed It
I Was Made To Love Her
With a Little Help from My Friends
Help Me Rhonda rehearsal
Lonely Days
She's Goin'Bald
Here Comes the Night

Side 4

Good Vibrations rehearsal
Fall Breaks
Heroes and  Villains rehearsal
Little Pad.
Mama Says
Cool Cool Water
God Only Knows rehearsal
Surf's Up

Or some variation of that.  It would have been a monolith record , in this pristine sound , and I cannot help wonder how 1968 forward would have been.   I see and hear a very active Brian Wilson, fully engaged with the group , working on a ton of product. It's all here; great songs, great performances, spectacular vocals , new takes on older material.  If only. 

I will get my coat now
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 03:59:25 PM »

Brilliant post. ..this should put the whole "Brian took a step back"myth to rest for good.

jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »

Got my copy today. I had never heard their version of " Game of Love . " I just love it.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

Blown away.  Fantastic.  A completely different album.  Tears in my eyes good.  I have to admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of this album as it was originally released.  After hearing this, I finally get it.  Subtle parts popping up everywhere.  Guitar parts, horns, stuff that I never heard before.  The vocals sound amazing.  As I listened I was feeling the same feelings as when I heard my first Smile boots all those years ago.  Thanks to Mr. Linett and Mr. Boyd, and everyone else who had a hand in this release.  Thanks to Howie Edelson for the great liner notes.  And to think I haven't even listened to the second disc yet.     
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx