gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:26:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History July 18-29  (Read 2784 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »

July 18 1962 the BBs played a free concert at Fan Club President Jodi Gable’s 16th birthday party in Burbank. July 27, 1962- the BBs performed at the Azusa Teen Club. They were filmed miming to Surfin Safari for a documentary movie-One Mans Challenge. This is the earliest footage of the BBs. They were getting quite busy at this time and that night they played at the Rainbow Gardens in Pomona with the Mixtures and the Paris Sisters.  While they may have played at this venue earlier, this is the only advertised appearance there.   The next day they appeared at the Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino and on July 29, 1962 they played the Dance Pavilion at Lake Arrowhead, CA-with the Tornadoes.

July 22 1963-Surfer Girl/Little Deuce Coupe was released as a single in the U.S.  By that time, however, the BBs had embarked on their first big summer tour.   They appeared at Indiana Beach at Shafer Lake on July 19 and returned to the Danceland Ballroom in Cedar Rapids on July 20 (they’d played there in April).  They then played in Storm Lake IA on July 21, Arnolds Park, IA on July 23 and Sioux City IA on July 24.  That same day Brian is attested back in LA at Capitol where he worked on Pray For Surf and Hide Go Seek for the Honeys. 

Dave Marks swears that Brian played on the summer tour but if so it is clear that he returned home several times.  Photos from the tour show Al in his place at numerous shows.  In my opinion-Brian probably started the tour then headed home for this session.  He may have returned to the road for a bit but it’s just as likely that he did not rejoin the tour until the end of August when he flew with Murry to meet the band in Chicago on August 29. We’d need more reviews of shows to know for sure-but only two shows on the entire tour received a write up in newspapers. Rock shows were seldom reviewed in 1963 newspapers. On July 25 1963 the BBs were at the Val Aire Ballroom in Des Moines and two days later they played the Hollyhock Ballroom in Hatfield, MN.  On July 28 1963 they played at the Peony Park Ballroom in Omaha NE

July 18 1964 the BBs played in Indianapolis on the Summer Safari tour with the Kingsmen.  Shows followed in Milwaukee (19), Flint (20) Urbana, OH (21), Fort Wayne (22) Madison, WI (23) Chicago (24) Lacrosse, WI (25) Denver (28) and the Lagoon near Salt Lake City on July 29. July 18 1965 the BBs played the City Auditorium in Atlanta with Billy Joe Royal (sang Down In the Boondocks), and the Roemans). The next night they played a big show in Nashville with The Zombies, The Searchers and Ray Lynn. Shows followed in Tulsa (21) Austin, TX (22) and Dallas (23). On July 24 1965 they played a huge tour-ending show Jacksonville, FL with Del Shannon, Lesley Gore, the Shangri-Las, the Zombies, Del Reeves, the Premieres, the Searchers and Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. Five days later Dennis married his first wife Carol.  This was kept a secret from the fans for about a year.

July 18 1966 Wouldn’t It Be Nice was released as a single. That same day the BBs played a show in Chicago with The Chieftones. Two days later they were at Willow Lake Park in Warren, OH and then on July 21 1966 they played in Buffalo with The Lovin’ Spoonful. Shows followed in Syracuse (22) and Asbury Park (23).  They played at Iona College on July 24 1966 and a local band called Chain Reaction-fronted by a young Steven Tyler of Aerosmith fame-opened this show. The BBs were in Pittsfield, MA on July 28 1966 (some nice photos of this show are in my book) and played at Virginia Beach HS Stadium on July 29 1966.  July 24 1967 “Heroes and Villains” was released as a single.  July 25, 26, 1968-The BBs worked some more on the 1967 recording of “Can’t Wait Too Long”.  Around this time Bruce suggested it would be their next single (in an interview) but Brian clearly chose to scrap it.

July 18 1969-The BBs flew east to start a tour and taped the Mike Douglas Show in Philadelphia. They sang live Vocals over a taped backing track on Breakaway and Celebrate the News dressed in their white stage outfits. An amusing moment on this show occurred when the group shared the couch with Mike Douglas and his guest co-host Kaye Stevens.  While Stevens sang “Pennies from Heaven” she cajoled a reluctant Dennis into dancing with her.
That same day they probably also taped the The Hy Lit TV Show in Philadelphia, miming Breakaway. Hy Lit was the big DJ in Philadelphia and had a syndicated TV show in the 60s-but only a few scattered tapes of it survive.  BBs footage is probably gone.

July 19 1969 they began the tour proper with the Buchanan Brothers and the Box Tops at the Long Island Arena.  They played the Troy Armory on July 20.  That was the night of the moon landing and there was an intermission so everyone could watch it on TV. The BBs then headed to Canada to play at Hamilton, Ontario on July 21 and then back to NY to appear at Gaelic Park in the Bronx.  They then played three days at the Steel Pier in Atlantic City (24-26) and then in Wallingford, CT (27), Columbia, MD (28) and Hampton Beach, New Hampshire (29, 30 1969)
July 13-24 1970-Carl was busy producing the Flame’s first album for Brother Records.  July 28 1970-The Flame played two shows at the Whiskey.  A number of photos taken by Earl Leaf exist of the Flame jamming with Brian, Carl, Billy, Ricci Martin, Dianne Rovell and Marilyn. It’s possible they were taken this night but some people feel that the venue is not the Whiskey.  For what it’s worth Billy Hinsche told me that he thought they were taken at Big Gus Club.  If so then maybe a night or two before the Flame’s Whiskey show, the BBs threw had a private party to celebrate the completion of the album.  The photos are 100% from July 1970.  On July 29 1970- Jack Reilly interviewed Brian, Mike and Bruce for his Radio Pacifica show.  Portions of the interview appeared in Rolling Stone.  I’d love to hear the tape of this if it exists-but no proof that it does.  Jack really impressed Brian and was soon managing the band.

July 21 1971-the Flame was at Village Recorders working on their second unreleased Brother LP.  Desper apparently produced this LP with little input from Carl.  July 23 1971-The BBs were also in the studio recording Surf’s Up and worked on Student Demonstration Time and Disney Girls. July 26 1971-they worked on A Day in the Life of a Tree, Take a Load off Your Feet.  July 29 1971-they worked on Looking At Tomorrow and Feel Flows. Late July 1972 the BBs were working on Holland in the Netherlands. They apparently worked on Steamboat and Big Sur during this time.

July 19 1974 the BBs played in Kansas City, MO as openers for CSNY They also opened for them in Milwaukee on July 21, St. Paul on July 22. And Denver on July 25.  They played the “Oklahoma Jam” with Leon Russell, Elvin Bishop and Trapeze on July 27 and then opened for CSNY in Houston on July 28 1974.  The BBs promoter/agent Chip Rachlin told me that the BBs stole these shows from CSNY.  I believe it-CSNY were really coked up and erratic on that 74 tour and the BBs were focused and on point.

July 25 1975 the BBs played in Edmonton, Canada.  The next night they were in Calgary and then spent July 27 to 29 1975 at the Montana State Fair. July 21 1976-The BBs were back in Edmonton, followed by a big show in Kansas City on July 23-with the Doobie Brothers, Jeff Beck, Firefall and the Ozark Mountain Daredevils). The BBs then played the Wisconsin and Iowa State Fairs on July 24 and 25 1976. Brian had recently played his first show with them in five years but wasn’t on this tour.  He may have been present on July 29 1976-when the Beach Boys played at Bruce’s wedding to Harriet in Avalon, CA.  Keith Badman listed this show in his book as a concert but if anything it was just an impromptu jam with their old band-mate. July 1977 the BBs held European tour rehearsals in California. They planned to play a whole European tour and Ed Roach filmed some of the rehearsals.  Footage of Brian, with very short hair and a green Beach Boys shirt, playing the piano can be seen in the Endless Harmony documentary.  The whole thing fell apart and the BBs only ended up playing one show at the CBS Convention and they only did that one because it was a contractual obligation.

July 19 1978-The BBs played in Calgary and then headed to Edmonton (19), Regina, SK (20) St Paul, MN (21) Chicago (22) and Madison, WI on July 23 1978.  Brian was not on that tour.  On July 27 1978-The BBs worked on Lookin Down the Coast and the next day they held a session for Santa Ana Winds. July 25 1980 the BBs started a tour with the Tremblers in Rapid City, SD.  Shows followed in Bismarck, ND (26) Duluth, MN (27) Bloomington, MN (28) and Omaha, NE on July 29 1980.  Brian was not on this tour.  July 19-21 1982-The BBs were finishing up a residency at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas without Brian.  On July 21 1982 Carl was at Cherokee Studios to work on What You Do To Me for Youngblood. July 25 1982-The BBs played the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, again without Brian.  July 29 1983 The BBs played the first of two nights at Park Central in Dallas, TX.

July 25 1984-The BBs appeared at the televised Olympic Gala and Sang Surfin USA. At some point in the summer, the group also filmed a strange clip in which Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce were seen taking a boat ride, dressed in bathing suits, with some beautiful models.  “Good Vibrations” accompanied the silent footage.  I am not sure where this footage appeared-anyone know? July 28-29 1984-The BBs played at the Civic Stadium in Portland, and the Montana State Fair. July 26 1985 the BBs played in Toronto, followed by shows in Columbus, OH (27) Pittsburgh (28) and Hershey Park on July 29 1985.

Think I’ll stop there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »

This:

July 18 1969-The BBs flew east to start a tour and taped the Mike Douglas Show in Philadelphia. They sang live Vocals over a taped backing track on Breakaway and Celebrate the News dressed in their white stage outfits. An amusing moment on this show occurred when the group shared the couch with Mike Douglas and his guest co-host Kaye Stevens.  While Stevens sang “Pennies from Heaven” she cajoled a reluctant Dennis into dancing with her.
That same day they probably also taped the The Hy Lit TV Show in Philadelphia, miming Breakaway. Hy Lit was the big DJ in Philadelphia and had a syndicated TV show in the 60s-but only a few scattered tapes of it survive.  BBs footage is probably gone.

Of interest to or maybe known by people over a certain age who come from the Philly area, Hy Lit aka "Hyski O'Rooney MacVoudy O'Zoot" was indeed the big DJ in Philly in the 60's (and beyond) on station WIBG (wibbage to Philly folks), the other being his rival Jerry "The Geator With The Heater, The Big Boss With The Big Hot Sauce" Blavat who was syndicated on radio and TV. Both Lit and Blavat had syndicated TV shows in the mid to late 60's, Geator's was "The Discophonic Scene" and whatever it was called locally broadcast from WPVI Channel 6.

I'm actually surprised that the Hy Lit TV appearance is probably gone, there are more than the usual amount of clips of his syndicated show and various acts miming to their records which circulate, and they're usually in color too. If you see a clip of a 60's act miming to a song and there is a time-strip overlay on the clip that reads like "HL-33" or similar, that's from Lit's TV show. One that exists which is a treat for Monkees fans is when the band appeared on Lit's show to promote the Head film.

Two questions: There is a picture sleeve for Wake The World or something which I've seen that has Carl, Al, Dennis and Bruce wearing the white suits and ascots around a mic, and Mike off to the side on his own mic. The set looks to me like what the Hy Lit show set looked like...was that sleeve photo from the Hy Lit appearance?

Also: The Mike Douglas Show has pretty extensive video and film archives available for license, obviously the BB's appeared on there more than once. I wondered if any efforts had been made to somehow secure the rights to use or air that footage so fans could see those appearances. The last I remember checking, there may be a few appearances that do not exist in the Douglas archives but that was years ago.

A former co-worker had a relative who worked in the union for the studio where Douglas taped his shows in Philly. He'd get into the studio via that relative when he was young and had binders full of 8x10 photos with autographs of the stars who appeared on Douglas' show. I've since lost touch with him, last time I saw him or his autograph/photo collection was 15 years ago, but I wish I had doublechecked if he had gotten the BB's to sign a photo on one of their visits to Douglas in Philly. It was a massive and impressive collection...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 10:57:07 AM »

The photo is Top Of Pops

Here we can see the set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCMbsxpo4k
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »

The photo is Top Of Pops

Here we can see the set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rCMbsxpo4k

Cool, thank you! I remember seeing that sleeve but wasn't sure, it kind of looked like the Hy Lit staging but now I know.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »

It's possible that the BBs app on Hy Lit survives but if so it has never surfaced in the fifteen years or so that I've been monitoring Youtube, etc.  Here is a link to the July 18 (not 8th as listed on the clip) app on Mike Douglas.  I believe the other two parts are also on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sobVMqnElOI
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »

When I was writing my book I got a hold of many itineraries -including some from the 69 period that showed that they often taped these shows on the first day of a tour.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

Very possibly than appearances that were never seen exists , surfaced briefly on youtube or never surfaced.

For example I have on a bootleg the July 1968 appearance of Happening 68 where they perfomed Wake the world, Friends and Do It Again but the clip doesn´t contains Friends, this is sourced from a Delilah Film copy, possibly is an outtake from Endless Harmony, The clip of Do It Again showed combined with the Promo footage, so possibly the clip of Friends was showed combined with footage of promo, also is a cute performance of wake the world with the boys sleeping on ground until first chorus. Remember also that footage of a May 1968 tv appearance that surfaced a little bit of time on youtube also exists (this hasn´t been bootleged, i don´t have a copy), also on Youtube surfaced most of the tv performance of Bluebirds in 4,3,2,1 hot and sweet, but i got a copy of this. also I discovered that Royal Albert Hall 2017 videos are not the first video of Aren´t you Glad as in European Tour Documentary we can see between silent footage to Carl singing this on Capitol Theater Cardiff, and more things about footage....

Because I Am an Collector. The youtube footage of MD Show performing Break Away and Celebrate the news source is the Hang ten Media Not for broadcast bootleg
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:52:49 PM »

Wow-it would be cool to see that Happening footage. Great that it exists.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »

Cool info. I wish (or hope) at some point the licensing and fees/rights issues can be worked out so fans can see some of the material currently being held in these various archives.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 04:06:42 AM »

Yeah it would be nice to know if film existed at least. When I wrote an article about tv appearances for esq I asked around and many companies said that they thought the footage was gone or at least it wasn't in their vaults. Sometimes a low quality kinescope exists or someone taped straight from tv. For example Carson doesn't have the 68 Beatles episode but there is a terrible quality film of the garagiola interview that makes the rounds-clearly taped by a fan straight off the tv
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 04:24:24 AM »

For those who don't know what I'm referring to-john and Paul appeared on the Carson tonight show back in 1968 when it was still taped in New York and Carson was on vacation so they were interviewed by former baseball player joe garagiola.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 05:22:45 AM »

The happening is a kinenoscope also, but it´s in color while other clips of happening are in b/w.

It has a timecode and text similar to this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKZK1HmgsxU
but 2it'shapp69 it substituted by Happening 33/68 and MTV Networks is substituted by Delilah Films.

Here i got two frames, the first is from Wake the World, and the second is from Do It Again
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 06:44:53 AM »

cool
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »

Great stuff!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx