gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:17:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: “A Capitol Fourth” Concert 2017  (Read 19500 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.
And Mike looks like a grizzled old man. Time to retire!

Yeah, God forbid a 76 year old look like an old man. He IS an old man and has every right to look like one, or does that tax your brain cell too much? Of all the things to criticise, seriously? Did Brian look like a grizzled old man when he fell on his ass too? I'll bet you were right there chortling "Ahahahaha silly fat old fool with mental health problems ahahahahaha he doesn't look like he did when he was in his 20s does he? Fnarr Fnarr." You're an asshole. I'm sick of this forum, f*** this place if the mods let just flat out abuse of the elderly for being old pass as a post. We can't all die young and pretty, sorry. Go heckle a cripple.

"Brian is overweight and out of shape." -Mike Love recently about Brian Wilson.

Yeah, God forbid a 75 year old man be at Olympic level fitness. He IS an old man and has every right to feel and look like one...or does this simple logic tax Mike's brain cells too much? Of all the things to criticize, seriously? Did Mike look like a perfect symbol of health when he fasted himself into a mental hospital in the 60s?...

Two wrongs make a right. Gotcha.

Since when the f*** am I aligned with Mike? Read my post history. Hey get your brain around this - when it comes to mocking old folks for their appearance, maybe I'm just against in general? Radical, huh?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2017, 12:26:35 PM »

Wonder what the average age of board members is, I'm betting it is sixty or higher...

There are clearly a number of folks here who are over sixty (including myself) but even just counting those posting at this time, I'm sure the average is a darn sight lower. I'd put it around the forty mark. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2017, 12:52:46 PM »

I'm questioning whether it should matter at all how old anybody on the board is (understanding what generation/era fans are from *does* sometimes help understand where different fans are coming from though), but I don't think the average age here would be 60. Plenty of folks born in the 60s and 70s and 80s, and I've even seen some folks counter, when asked why they didn't see Brian's first PS tour in 2000, that they would have had trouble doing that since they were a toddler then!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

Jude, at age 26 and been a fan since 2011, I feel like a geezer! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.

Yeah, God forbid a 76 year old look like an old man. He IS an old man and has every right to look like one, or does that tax your brain cell too much? Of all the things to criticise, seriously? Did Brian look like a grizzled old man when he fell on his ass too? I'll bet you were right there chortling "Ahahahaha silly fat old fool with mental health problems ahahahahaha he doesn't look like he did when he was in his 20s does he? Fnarr Fnarr." You're an asshole. I'm sick of this forum, f*** this place if the mods let just flat out abuse of the elderly for being old pass as a post. We can't all die young and pretty, sorry. Go heckle a cripple.

The one HUGE flaw in your retort is that Mike Love has been obsessed with trying to look cool, young and hide his baldness for how many decades? He has constantly criticized the Wilsons for their lifestyle while touting his, bragging about meditation and how it is the fountain of youth. If you haven't seen this clip from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, start at the 3:40 mark. This is what I mock.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlL7-j-IvVA

He is selling the fun, fun fun of being young on the beach, cheerleaders and hot bods in bikinis. With his goatee, ball caps and Hawaiian shirts together with his stage persona, his whole act is being the front man who hasn't aged.

So my point, which obviously never crossed your brain waves, is what a clown Mike is at this point. It be one thing if he acted his age.  An analogy might be Paul going out in his 1963 Beatles suit.

Brian is not trying to project something he is not. Mike is.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:46:56 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »

Yeah BW is semi-retired rock god... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2017, 02:23:57 PM »

I just saw Roger Waters. About to turn 74 I think. Great show! He is not trying to project that he is still 29. Grey hair, unshaven, t shirt. He is basking in this point of his life. No vanity like Mike Love.

Brian shows grace and dignity.

My apologies for failing to make this point in my original post!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »

The one HUGE flaw in your retort is that Mike Love has been obsessed with trying to look cool, young and hide his baldness for how many decades? He has constantly criticized the Wilsons for their lifestyle while touting his, bragging about meditation and how it is the fountain of youth. If you haven't seen this clip from Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, start at the 3:40 mark. This is what I mock.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlL7-j-IvVA

He is selling the fun, fun fun of being young on the beach, cheerleaders and hot bods in bikinis. With his goatee, ball caps and Hawaiian shirts together with his stage persona, his whole act is being the front man who hasn't aged.

So my point, which obviously never crossed your brain waves, is what a clown Mike is at this point. It be one thing if he acted his age.  An analogy might be Paul going out in his 1963 Beatles suit.

Or Paul with his hair dyed black or brown, to hide all the gray.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »

But Paul hasn't been sanctimoniously promoting his lifestyle as the fountain of youth.  Mike Love is a charade!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2017, 01:39:38 AM »

That was the cringe=worthiest of the cringe-worthy.  The auto-tune is so blatant that it makes them sound like robots, not even human. I don't care if the music IS kept alive by appearances like this, it's GOT to stop. YECCCCHH!!!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »

I just watched the 4th of July performance.  Is there a pill or drug I can take to erase the last ten minutes of my memory? 

In all seriousness, this was really upsetting.  Do it Again is one of my favourite BB songs.  Usually it brings out all these emotions:  wistfulness, peace, and of course pure joy. 

Except this.  The only emotion this brought out was disgust tinged with a strong dose of rage.  I would have loved to punch Mark McGrath right in his ugly mugging face.  Seriously, normally John Stamos makes me see red but he was almost likeable compared with the odious McGrath.  I couldn't take my eyes off him, and I don't mean that in a good way.  I almost feel bad for Foskett and the other band members who are clearly longtime BB fans and associates and now have to live through this utter sh*t and pretend to be enjoying it. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2017, 09:26:52 AM »

It's a love nourishment and revenge thang...  Cry

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2017, 09:31:15 AM »

Of all the cringey parts of this performance, what about Stamos not miming properly to the drum fill at 2:05?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfVCMgQOMM&feature=youtu.be#t=2m05s

Bruce doesn't adjust his Microphone at all...so you know somethin' ain't right.  Tip Toe

Thanks for making me laugh out loud. Much needed after seeing this monstrosity. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2017, 09:56:51 AM »

Take this as a history lesson, it's history repeating itself. Imagine being a younger fan totally absorbed in this band and the music circa 1992-93, wanting to hear more and more of the good stuff. You'd have all the reissue 60's albums and even the 2-fers in the same racks as Summer In Paradise. You'd have the box set getting a 5-star review in Rolling Stone (in an issue with Snoop and Dr Dre on the cover, no less...), and you'd be thrilled to see and hear people talking about the Beach Boys and the greatness of their music...and you'd have Summer In Paradise as the "new release" of note from the same band, and Mike flogging that title song at each and every live show for the next few years.

Then, fast forward a few years. Brian Wilson was back, revisiting his songs thanks to Don Was, the talk of a Pet Sounds AND Smile box set was in the press and eventually happened...and Mike is on Baywatch hawking a pseudo-rap song called Summer Of Love as Stamos played electronic drums on a beach with dancing bikini girls all around. The renewed focus and interest in the music and the musical legacy meant nothing.

Then you had Mike on QVC giving away free copies of Summer In Paradise to every caller who ordered the box set. The box set that got a 5-star review was being piggybacked to an album that no legit label would touch, and which hardly anyone bought. The music became a buy one get one free coupon offer.

The contradictions of all that wackiness just keep reappearing whenever Mike is skippering the boat. It's either a blindness to the optics of all this, or a stubbornness that leads to simply not giving a sh*t about how things look to the people who truly love the music and want to share that love of the music with others.

I wouldn't recommend anyone watch that performance of Do It Again. It takes what was a terrific record back in '68 and reduces it to whatever you'd call that performance from the 4th with the guy yelling "DO IT" over and over.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

Mark Mcgrath sucks.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »

I just watched the 4th of July performance.  Is there a pill or drug I can take to erase the last ten minutes of my memory? 

In all seriousness, this was really upsetting.  Do it Again is one of my favourite BB songs.  Usually it brings out all these emotions:  wistfulness, peace, and of course pure joy. 

Except this.  The only emotion this brought out was disgust tinged with a strong dose of rage.  I would have loved to punch Mark McGrath right in his ugly mugging face.  Seriously, normally John Stamos makes me see red but he was almost likeable compared with the odious McGrath.  I couldn't take my eyes off him, and I don't mean that in a good way.  I almost feel bad for Foskett and the other band members who are clearly longtime BB fans and associates and now have to live through this utter sh*t and pretend to be enjoying it. 

I don't feel bad for Foskett. He chose this.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2017, 09:19:50 PM »

Just re-watched the performance and took the chance to see what was on the back of the “Mike Love” logo hat.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »

I don't feel bad for Foskett. He chose this.

Yeah.  I did say "almost". 

I will never understand how he chose this over touring with Brian's band.  I just don't get it. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2017, 09:46:07 PM »

But Paul hasn't been sanctimoniously promoting his lifestyle as the fountain of youth.  Mike Love is a charade!
Mike is what he is. I'm a bit tired of him being criticized for each and every thing he does. Reality check time: All of these guys are decades past their prime, i'm not expecting great new music from any of them. They are nostalgia acts. They are there to remind us of a happier, more innocent time. Someday, they will be gone - including Mike.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »

But Paul hasn't been sanctimoniously promoting his lifestyle as the fountain of youth.  Mike Love is a charade!
Mike is what he is. I'm a bit tired of him being criticized for each and every thing he does. Reality check time: All of these guys are decades past their prime, i'm not expecting great new music from any of them. They are nostalgia acts. They are there to remind us of a happier, more innocent time. Someday, they will be gone - including Mike.

So your  tired of Mike being picked in for being a douche and continually giving interviews where he bad mouths the Wilson brothers?

Your in the wrong thread brother.  Start on the New Mike Single thread and give those posters a stern talking to!

And good luck with that!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 10:02:58 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Mike is a fine frontman and his vocals are above average for someone in his upper 70's that has sang hundreds of concerts every year for the past 55 years. His lyrical prowess has left the building and he's never had a good ear in the studio. At this point in his life, I wish he would stick to what he knows. This single isn't doing a damn thing to the legacy but it is continuing to shove that wedge deeper and deeper between Mike and the hardcore fan base. As for his longevity, Mike is going to do this 'till he just falls over onstage mid-"wheeeeeeeeeeeeeen" one of these days. I think he's still got a good road ahead of him, but I don't think anyone (Mike included) expects him to be performing over two hour shows and touring 200 shows a year at age 90.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:16 PM »

Just re-watched the performance and took the chance to see what was on the back of the “Mike Love” logo hat.

Ozzie Osbourne on drums!  Wink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 11:05:53 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »

Ozzie Osbourne on drums!  Wink

LET'S DO IT A-F******-GAIIIIIIIIIN!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »

Mike is a fine frontman

No he isn't...and he hasn't been since somewhere in the vicinity of 1965-66.  [You know back when that schtick had run its course.]   As a front man he's a clown who relies on age-old OLD and entirely freakin' square antics and hand movements to try and carry an act which requires a gawd-dammed gurney in order to limp into a position of still being noticed and taken seriously.  A fine frontman would be loyal to the brand.   A fine frontman would not continuously put down his band mates ...even those who freaking died and can't, therefore, retort or defend their besmirched honour... in interviews ad nauseum...year after fucking year.  

A fine frontman would not sell out his current band by upping them out of position in order to misrepresent the act and undermine their ongoing contributions by inserting cardboard cut-out replacements because they might give the wizened old act a fresh face...or more 'nourishment' related sex appeal.  A fine frontman would be the one who either sang lead on all the big songs...or at least composed the music...or who has credibility in the music biz...or who commands respect from the foundational fan base...or something other than what this aging piece of really bad cheese offers up.  

A fine frontman would not sell out the legacy of an historic body of work by taking the songs and pissin' on 'em in the hopes of somehow lucking into another glimpse at the glory which sits right in front of him each and every day.  A fine frontman  would see that and respect it.  A fine frontman would not do what he does merely for " nourishment and revenge "  ...well at least that's what HE calls it in his "Obviously I'm NOT a Fine Frontman" 'novel'.

A fine frontman ?  Not Mike.  He's just a dink.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:48:28 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

I said Mike is a fine frontman. He's a fine onstage persona. Is he a fine man? Well, that's no one's call on this board but the clues don't always point in that direction, as you've explained, do they?

I bet 95% of Mike's audiences go one time only and don't know his or anyone else's name and say gosh that old fella, ya know the one that HAS to be original...with the hat!, he was just so damn cheeky tonight wasn't he!? Waving at the girls, talkin' bout those cheerleaders, oh and that line about "acapella" being in the nude...what a card!

THAT. That is what Mike is good at. He's a fine frontman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx