gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:36:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: “A Capitol Fourth” Concert 2017  (Read 19487 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »

Mike and company were good, even though seems to be identical to the single release (ie lipsyncing).

Mark McGrath is honestly funny as hell, and his "DO IT" shtick was very annoying on the single, but live it was hilarious. Just awkward to watch. So awkward.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »

UPDATE:

I just watched the full set. Not bad. Not really amazing, but its fun if you don't take it too seriously
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »

I still cringe when I hear this group introduced as the Beach Boys, but they were okay for what they are supposed to be - an oldies act. Hated the processing on the vocals, but I guess that's what people like these days. Mike looked as I expected, but I was surprised to see Bruce has let his hair go gray - and that's not a bad thing, better than orange hair. Surprised Mike sang the lead on Rhonda.
They're not a band I would pay big bucks to see in concert, but as part of a way to spend July 4th, they were alright. Same for the 4 Tops.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 12:28:43 AM »

holy crap that Do It Again was just hilariously awful.
why Mark McGrath? why now?? seriously wtf

plastic music, plastic performance, plastic faces

time to blast Wild Honey again.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »

Surprised Mike sang the lead on Rhonda. 

As was I! Is this happening on a regular basis in their shows?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »

Surprised Mike sang the lead on Rhonda. 

As was I! Is this happening on a regular basis in their shows?

He's been doing it for awhile now, and he sounds really bizarre singing it, especially the pre-recorded, mimed version last night on PBS where *everything* including Mike's baseball cap has been autotuned to death.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 06:39:39 AM »

The show last night was pretty dire, due to a confluence of several things.

Most problematically, as was done several years ago (2014?), Mike's set was all pre-recorded and then mimed. That's distracting enough as-is. Foskett does that weird lazy guitar playing thing where you can tell he's not really playing, Stamos was strumming his guitar during interludes where there was no guitar, and even seasoned performers like Mike and his band can't ever lip-sync perfectly.

Adding to the problems was the *ridiculous* amount of autotune slathered onto *all* of the lead vocals, not just the "Do It Again" remake. Seriously, this was way worse than the worst of anything heard in the early days of C50. The "Mr. Roboto" Styx single sounded *less* like a robot than this stuff. The autotune was so excessive that McGrath and Mike's vocals were weirdly nearly indistinguishable if you didn't know ahead of time who was singing what.

Mike wearing a "Mike Love" baseball cap, well I guess I can't complain about that one too much, that's kind of comedy gold. It's as if he's heard the laughing about his being one of the only guys in rock and roll who wears his own band's name on his hat, and decided to one-up it. Or, more likely, he's trying to plug his new "single."

Mark McGrath is as awful as everyone says he is. The guy's stage demeanor and facial expressions leave me wondering if he was really there or if he was CGI'ed. Total mismatch for BB music, even Mike's "flavor" or "brand" of BB music. His excessive "wooooo! woooooo!" sounded like someone was mistakenly playing that YouTube video clip of all of Michael Jackson's isolated vocal wooops and grunts.

I will also say that the entire show as a whole, including other performances from other artists that appeared to be partly or fully live, all sounded awful in terms of mixing. A very poorly mixed show, sounded at times like a bad audience recording. During some performances, I could barely make out drums. The vocals were often way too far out front of the backing band, yet the vocals also often sounded really muddy.

That's not even getting into the sort of B-list nature of the list of performers in general.

But overall, this was of similar sketchy quality as the previous appearance from a few years ago, the only difference being the added grating presence of McGrath.

But I do think Mike owes Brian and Al and fans an apology for his snarky, mean-spirited autotune comment made regarding "The Right Time" in his "interview" with David Beard from a couple years ago. It's one of the more obvious, egregious examples of hypocrisy of recent years, and that's saying something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:07 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they pre-record music on these types of shows? I mean, take this band as a perfect example, they literally live on the road doing live shows every night, why deviate from that script? Who cares if they flub a line or miss a note? I suppose some artists, who are more dance/pop oriented might have more of a reason for doing those type of pre-recorded performances, though I can't see what the upside is..ie Mariah NYE.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.
And Mike looks like a grizzled old man. Time to retire!

Yeah, God forbid a 76 year old look like an old man. He IS an old man and has every right to look like one, or does that tax your brain cell too much? Of all the things to criticise, seriously? Did Brian look like a grizzled old man when he fell on his ass too? I'll bet you were right there chortling "Ahahahaha silly fat old fool with mental health problems ahahahahaha he doesn't look like he did when he was in his 20s does he? Fnarr Fnarr." You're an asshole. I'm sick of this forum, f*** this place if the mods let just flat out abuse of the elderly for being old pass as a post. We can't all die young and pretty, sorry. Go heckle a cripple.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.

Yeah, God forbid a 76 year old look like an old man. He IS an old man and has every right to look like one, or does that tax your brain cell too much? Of all the things to criticise, seriously? Did Brian look like a grizzled old man when he fell on his ass too? I'll bet you were right there chortling "Ahahahaha silly fat old fool with mental health problems ahahahahaha he doesn't look like he did when he was in his 20s does he? Fnarr Fnarr." You're an asshole. I'm sick of this forum, f*** this place if the mods let just flat out abuse of the elderly for being old pass as a post. We can't all die young and pretty, sorry. Go heckle a cripple.

"Brian is overweight and out of shape." -Mike Love recently about Brian Wilson.

Yeah, God forbid a 75 year old man be at Olympic level fitness. He IS an old man and has every right to feel and look like one...or does this simple logic tax Mike's brain cells too much? Of all the things to criticize, seriously? Did Mike look like a perfect symbol of health when he fasted himself into a mental hospital in the 60s?...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:33:03 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »

Well geez, we can equivocate on whether there's any reason to point out that Mike looks "old" on stage, but saying he looks like a "grizzled old man" isn't quite the same as calling someone a "silly fat old fool with mental health problems."

Of course we shouldn't be honing in on personal looks/appearance, and certainly pointing out all of these guys are old is not exactly breaking news.

But, saying Mike Love looks old is not "abuse of the elderly." And, there is some amount of context for looking at how Mike *appears* when he makes a nationally-televised appearance. Pointing out that he looks ridiculous and actually makes himself look older by wearing the baseball caps and doing the same shtick is not necessarily an invalid argument. Perhaps a redundant one, but not invalid.

And indeed, while there's no room for a "well, he did it too!" argument, I'd say the things Mike has said about Brian in very recent years, and any number of things said about Brian (or Mike or others) on this and other boards over the years is far more inflammatory and heinous than a one-line post saying Mike looks like a grizzled old man on TV. I'd be more concerned if the mods *did* act on a person making a one-line comment like that.

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 08:15:36 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they pre-record music on these types of shows?

I believe it's done to keep things easy. They don't have to sound check a band, worry about things going wrong during the set, and it guarantees a perfect outcome.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they pre-record music on these types of shows? I mean, take this band as a perfect example, they literally live on the road doing live shows every night, why deviate from that script? Who cares if they flub a line or miss a note? I suppose some artists, who are more dance/pop oriented might have more of a reason for doing those type of pre-recorded performances, though I can't see what the upside is..ie Mariah NYE.

For many shows, it's just the S.O.P. and means less chance of a technical snafu during a live broadcast.

What's strange is that some of the other performances, on the "main" stage, *were* live, or at least partially live. So they certainly could have had Mike's band live or at least partially live.

What *can't* be explained is why they didn't just pre-record all of the songs live on stage (or heck, even just record a recent live show or soundcheck and play that recording!), and instead chose to use very canned-sounding, dead, sterile, studio-sounding, pre-recorded tracks with autotune up the wazoo. Everything about the sound quality sounded super synthetic. Everybody involved would have come across less poorly if they had just sent PBS a video compilation of a few songs from an actual Mike show.

The question often asked regarding "legacy" artists and their use of autotune: Is someone telling Mike they're turning the autotune up to "11" on his vocals?

I recall Andrew Doe posting and implying Mike and Bruce where just *aghast* when they heard the C50 live album due to the autotune. But this TV appearance and Mike's "Do It Again" single sound far, far, worse in that regard.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 08:51:52 AM »

That was truly awful. Talk about killing the history of the band....boo on Mike Love.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »

Didn't Mike say in his book that Melinda secretly auto tuned their vocals on the C50 tour?  I guess we know who's to blame for this performance.  Looking at you, Smile BRIAN.  Wink

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »

Just posted: Guy Fieri adding his autotuned vocal overdub:

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »

For those who haven't seen it (and inexplicably want to), here's DIA from the PBS show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfVCMgQOMM

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »

Of all the cringey parts of this performance, what about Stamos not miming properly to the drum fill at 2:05?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfVCMgQOMM&feature=youtu.be#t=2m05s
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »

Well, Mike and Brian are both old no doubt about that.  Guess they all are, even the children are getting up in years.  Criticizing either for that seems pointless.

As for the performance it was ok.  Would be nice to see Brian invited to do that show someday, but doubtful it will happen sans the BBs moniker....

Wonder what the average age of board members is, I'm betting it is sixty or higher...

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »

Of all the cringey parts of this performance, what about Stamos not miming properly to the drum fill at 2:05?

Bruce doesn't adjust his Microphone at all...so you know somethin' ain't right.  Tip Toe
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »

Bruce doesn't adjust his Microphone at all...so you know somethin' ain't right.  Tip Toe

LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2017, 10:43:38 AM »

Bruce needs a mic adjusting solo! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2017, 10:59:14 AM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »

Well, Mike and Brian are both old no doubt about that.  Guess they all are, even the children are getting up in years.  Criticizing either for that seems pointless.

As for the performance it was ok.  Would be nice to see Brian invited to do that show someday, but doubtful it will happen sans the BBs moniker....

I wonder if Brian's team would ever consider doing what Yes has done, changing the name of the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman band to Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman to rival the other previously touring Yes featuring Alan White and Steve Howe.  They could go out as The Beach Boys featuring Brian Wilson and Al Jardine with special guest Blondie Chaplin.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »

I wonder if Brian's team would ever consider doing what Yes has done, changing the name of the Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman band to Yes featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman to rival the other previously touring Yes featuring Alan White and Steve Howe.  They could go out as The Beach Boys featuring Brian Wilson and Al Jardine with special guest Blondie Chaplin.

There's now way Mike would go for that. I doubt he supported the original 1998 BRI vote to give all BRI members "non exclusive" licenses, and in any event is currently paying for an exclusive license.

We saw what happened when Al went out as "Beach Boys Family & Friends"; there's no way that would happen again.

If any movement was made at BRI to move away from Mike having *the* exclusive license to use the BB name to tour, it would likely get tied up in litigation for years.

The "Yes" situation I don't believe is fully analogous to the BBs. It appears the Jon Anderson contingent (or at least Anderson himself) had some share in the rights to the "Yes" name all along and in recent years had just decided to not use the name at all, and now this year he has decided to use the name as he's using it now. I believe the Howe contingent acknowledged that Anderson has the right to do this.

On top of everything else, I don't think Brian is interested in using the BB name. There's frankly more prestige in Brian's name at this point than Mike's branded version of "The Beach Boys." C50 went a long way to undoing the devaluing the of the brand and trademark that had taken place in the previous decade or two, but that was all undone quickly enough as we all know.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx