gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:51:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: “A Capitol Fourth” Concert 2017  (Read 19482 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 08:44:27 PM »

Looks like the touring group is performing on PBS’s Fourth of July concert again this year. Stamos is hosting the show and will guest with the Beach Boys. Mark McGrath will also guest with the BBs. Sounds like some good fun to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/john-stamos-teases-capitol-fourth-lineup-100023025.html

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »

NICE!!!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »

Tackiness at it's worst. No thanks.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »

"The Blues Brothers" have one original member, "The Four Tops" have one original member, and "The Beach Boys" have one original member!

Cook pork throughly
KDS
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:49:17 AM »

Ill have to check that out.  Though Id rather see Stamos onstage with The Beach Boys than Mark McGrath.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:16:16 AM »

This was pretty dreadful when Mike's band was on this a few years ago (2014?). A lot of miming to pre-recorded tracks. I'm sure it's the choice of the show's producers to do it that way, but it makes all the artists look silly.

Even sillier was the controversy last year of even using pre-recorded video of fireworks footage from previous years on the telecast.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:46 AM »

A sad echo of a once great event for the real BBs... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 08:52:12 AM »

How embarrassing for the Beach Boys. I guess it is better than playing weddings and Bar mitzvahs though.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:14:15 AM »

This is wonderful news, more exposure for the band's music, a lot of peeps watch this event each year!  Being asked back is an honor....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »

This was probably the deal BRI cut with Mike to avoid his Trump "performance"...... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Decarlo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »

I remember a "Capitol Fourth" in 1980.I happened to be stationed in Japan at the time.HBO put out an hour film on it and I think it was simulcast on some radio stations' I have heard that somewhere the whole concert is[was] available.It would be interesting to see-hear ,the difference between the two. The crowd was LARGE in '80...any body know of or have the 1980 show? If so,What do you think of it?I remember the HBO show and a friend taped some of it off WNEW New York FM.It seemed like a good time!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 05:46:12 PM »

I remember a "Capitol Fourth" in 1980.I happened to be stationed in Japan at the time.HBO put out an hour film on it and I think it was simulcast on some radio stations' I have heard that somewhere the whole concert is[was] available.It would be interesting to see-hear ,the difference between the two. The crowd was LARGE in '80...any body know of or have the 1980 show? If so,What do you think of it?I remember the HBO show and a friend taped some of it off WNEW New York FM.It seemed like a good time!!!

The HBO hour long version was released on DVD in the late 90s in Japan. Pieces of it at least are on YouTube these days I believe.

The full soundboard recording is on Concert Vault and Wolfgang's Vault. They used to be sold as downloads, but it looks like now it's membership streaming.

The new PBS July 4th stuff they do is totally different. It's only a few songs, and probably mimed to some degree.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:48:20 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »

Looking forward to this.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 05:34:44 PM »

Ouch, that was rough. 95% pre-recorded, I would say. “Do It Again” was the new single recording and “Surfin’ USA” was the same recording Mike released last year on that PBS set (with maybe a live ending). I guess I’m not familiar enough with the technical considerations for putting on a show, but wasn’t the slip-up with Stamos not getting the microphone to work during his transition to the next act basically an admission they didn’t run live audio?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »

Yeesh, sounds like about time for them to retire....

astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:07 PM »

The Beach Boys performance was just an alright lip-sync, then the Four Tops , who have hired a lead singer, who sounds nothing like Levi Stubbs, Levi was one of the all-time great singers, I think they could have gotten someone who can belt em out!

Cook pork throughly
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 05:54:29 PM »

A wonderful LipSync presentation.  The Beached Boys are now officially Milli Vanilli.  Good gawd!!!  Even the 4 Tops w/o their unique and outstanding lead vocalist...the late GREAT Levi Stubs...sang live.

There ya have it.  Actual international proof that bad ol' Mike can't deliver the 'goods' well enough to be allowed to perform live when it matters...at least not on worldwide television.  Kellie Pickler is missing her notes but at least she's LIVE.  Kind  of a crappy show all in all really.  No wonder the turnout was so unimpressive.  Most of the 'grounds' were only partially filled.  The Lincoln Memorial [I believe] was almost unattended.  I guess that's all they can get to come and perform in DC these days.  So?  LOADS of folks stayed home.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »

Yikes!

https://youtu.be/JBfVCMgQOMM
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:51 PM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »

If they survived Summer Of Love on Baywatch I'm pretty sure this forgettable bit of fluff won't be the final nail in anything. They did an oldie, the crowd danced around, some guy shouted 'do it' and tried to get the crowd geed up. Boom, it popped, burst and like a mediocre firework, nobody will remember it in the morning.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 07:37:52 PM »

The Beach Boys performance was just an alright lip-sync, then the Four Tops , who have hired a lead singer, who sounds nothing like Levi Stubbs, Levi was one of the all-time great singers, I think they could have gotten someone who can belt em out!

Supposedly it was Levi's dying wish to keep the Tops going without him.  I still have zero interest in hearing them sing without him.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »

Well that sucked. Mark McGrath better not start popping up at shows like Stamos does.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 08:51:46 PM »

that 'do it again' pbs performance was a 'disaster', and fake as hell.
what is with this 'sugar ray' guy? what a pain in the ass to watch him
with a real performer like Mr Love. 
kick him off and never bring that clown back to the Beach Boys.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:48 PM »

clown? just one? ...they emptied the whole damn clown CAR onstage tonight!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »

Perhaps the final nail in the coffin for the Beach Boys legacy. Mike Love should have the BB name taken away in an emergency BRI meeting.

Worst of all - instead of presenting a song to promote the awesome new collection "Sunshine Tomorrow", Mike pulls out a shitty solo remake of a song not related to the new release. Their must be some language in the license requiring him to properly promote new releases.

And Mike looks like a grizzled old man. Time to retire!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx