gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:05:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aren't You Glad (2017 Stereo Mix) up on youtube!  (Read 26351 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 06:13:39 AM »

100% agree that more promotion would be nice; the "McCartney Archive" model of pushing a song or two to YouTube (and as downloads for purchase) from the collection and maybe even a few tidbits *not* on the set as exclusive downloads on the official website would be cool.

Though, that brings up an interesting question in that the band doesn't really seem to have a full-active, BRI-toned official website. The "official" site at "thebeachboys.com" seems to be a promo fluff website that mixes press releases for Capitol product with random bits about Mike's touring band. Brian's tour dates aren't listed, and they should be right alongside Mike's. It's basically reads more like an official site for Mike's touring band along with some promo for Capitol product, and an occasional story about Brian. And of course, after all these years "beachboys.com" still leads to that fan website.

That all being said, this new set is streeting in 8 days, so we'll hear it all soon enough.

I do hope that *if* Capitol/UMe isn't putting even the minimal level of promotional push into this set, it might motivate BRI to start opening up their archives and releasing the stuff themselves online, and/or shopping the stuff to another label.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »

Was it an upload related to the record company or a leak?

Did anybody make a copy?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »

Did anybody make a copy?

It was posted by the official Beach Boys YT channel. I suspect they accidentally posted it earlier than they wanted to. These kinds of early streaming releases are often tied to articles on the web “premiering” the songs. Maybe we’ll get it back soon. If not, it’s really not too long before we have everything on CD anyways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:21:03 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »

Did anybody make a copy?

It was posted by the official Beach Boys YT channel. I suspect they accidentally posted it earlier than they wanted to. These kinds of early streaming releases are often tied to articles on the web “premiering” the songs. Maybe we’ll get it back soon. If not, it’s really not too long before we have everything on CD anyways.

Too long for me  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »

The best recording of Aren't You Glad is the live version on the Beach Boys Live In London record, the song has so much more life on that recording than the studio version.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:20 PM »

The best recording of Aren't You Glad is the live version on the Beach Boys Live In London record, the song has so much more life on that recording than the studio version.

Al's vocal on the live version is amazing

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »

anyone dl this before it got taken down?
nm it got axed on soundcloud

PM a link? :D

jackjachman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »

Wow. They really just chucked away any chance of getting people aware and excited for this release, didn't they? Unless they decide to reupload at a later time before release (then why did they even upload it in the first place?), they will have continued their long streak of "blowing it".

The odd thing about this video's history is that it was put up on youtube around 1 a.m. EST a couple days ago as a public video, I found it in my subscription box and posted the link here soon after. When I went to listen to it again the next morning, it had turned unlisted so you needed a link to see it. Then before the day was done, it was gone permanently.

Who knows what kind of behind the scenes stuff went on here, because the powers that be squashed a nice little opportunity for themselves. Every single comment on youtube was positive, with many of them as glowing and joyous as they were here. It was so great to see some of the widespread excitement for this, I just hope it doesn't go away before June 30.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 05:22:02 PM »

Wow. They really just chucked away any chance of getting people aware and excited for this release, didn't they? Unless they decide to reupload at a later time before release (then why did they even upload it in the first place?), they will have continued their long streak of "blowing it".

The odd thing about this video's history is that it was put up on youtube around 1 a.m. EST a couple days ago as a public video, I found it in my subscription box and posted the link here soon after. When I went to listen to it again the next morning, it had turned unlisted so you needed a link to see it. Then before the day was done, it was gone permanently.

Who knows what kind of behind the scenes stuff went on here, because the powers that be squashed a nice little opportunity for themselves. Every single comment on youtube was positive, with many of them as glowing and joyous as they were here. It was so great to see some of the widespread excitement for this, I just hope it doesn't go away before June 30.

A bit of an overreaction, if you ask me. I'm sure it was posted accidentally. They likely published or listed it earlier than they had planned. I guarantee that video and others reappear in good time, likely on the promotional schedule they had previously planned.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »

Here's an article on the new Aren't You Glad mix on NPR, but of course, the link and video doesn't work. GREAT JOB.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/23/533847251/songs-we-love-the-beach-boys-arent-you-glad-gets-a-crystalline-new-stereo-mix
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »

Here's an article on the new Aren't You Glad mix on NPR, but of course, the link and video doesn't work. GREAT JOB.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/23/533847251/songs-we-love-the-beach-boys-arent-you-glad-gets-a-crystalline-new-stereo-mix

Update: it's up, and WOW it's friggin' incredible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:00:03 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »

It’s working on NPR now. All is right with the world.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017, 08:48:16 AM »

Thank you!
Scaroline No
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »

It’s working on NPR now. All is right with the world.

Yay! Finally got to hear this... so crisp and bright... and those horns! Amazing.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »

Mike, Mike, Mike... why didn't/don't you sing more vocals like that? This was a really cool voice of Mike's that he almost never used again. You might hear a tiny bit of this type of phrasing on the bridge of Oh Darlin', but other than that, I can't recall another song in the ENTIRE catalog where he sounds like this.

Not whiny, not overly trying to sound young or cocky... just nice, simple, and sweet. A killer vocal.

I wonder if Brian coached Mike to sing like this as part of an overall plan to make all the band members sound drastically different (and less like what the public expected the BBs' voices to sound like) on this one particular record. After all, Carl sounds near unrecognizable (in a way unique to this album) IMO on some of his leads on the WH album.

It seems like this LP was a very deliberate attempt to sound NOT like "The Beach Boys", and I can't help but think that Mike succeeded with flying colors.

For the longest time, before I studied the credits and did online research on who sang what... I used to think the lead vocal on this song was Bruce.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:18:58 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017, 09:18:42 AM »

Mike, Mike, Mike... why didn't/don't you sing more vocals like that? This was a really cool voice of Mike's that he almost never used again. You might hear a tiny bit of this type of phrasing on the bridge of Oh Darlin', but other than that, I can't recall another song in the ENTIRE catalog where he sounds like this.

I think his lead on 'Meant For You' is fairly remeniscent of this. In fact, I thought it was Brian singing that lead for a time.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2017, 09:20:15 AM »

I think his lead on 'Meant For You' is fairly remeniscent of this. In fact, I thought it was Brian singing that lead for a time.

I love Mike's lead on MFY, totally. But I think that's a very different sounding voice too. Different from his "usual" voice in a very different way than this song, IMO. I think it's a true bummer that Mike didn't sing more like AYG and MFY throughout the catalog, and instead kept on trying to mimic his 1963 voice for decades.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2017, 09:29:37 AM »

I love Mike's lead on MFY, totally. But I think that's a very different sounding voice too. Different from his "usual" voice in a very different way than this song, IMO. I think it's a true bummer that Mike didn't sing more like AYG and MFY throughout the catalog, and instead kept on trying to mimic his 1963 voice for decades.

He had a great range that really worked with many styles. I think he has tried to vary his voice even up to recently (Pisces Brothers is a good example of this), but I think him being guided by nostalgia and less by a genuine artistic muse has kept that variation mostly tucked away.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

Finally hearing this mix and man that sounds damn good. The mud is completely gone and you can hear gems, once hidden, now clearly out in the open. Cannot wait to hear this album in full!

Edit: thank you so much RONDEMON for posting that link!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:31:36 AM by rab2591 » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »

He had a great range that really worked with many styles. I think he has tried to vary his voice even up to recently (Pisces Brothers is a good example of this), but I think him being guided by nostalgia and less by a genuine artistic muse has kept that variation mostly tucked away.
IMG_3345" border="0
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:35:06 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »

All good points. Add Cool Head, Warm Heart to the list of solid vocals that show his non-nasal side.

But Aren't You Glad... this one's just particularly special.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »

"Aren't you glad" is back online, this time on NPR:

Songs We Love: The Beach Boys, 'Aren't You Glad'

EDIT:

I didn't see that it was already posted by RONDEMON. Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:31:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:21 PM »

"Aren't you glad" is back online, this time on NPR:

Songs We Love: The Beach Boys, 'Aren't You Glad'

Sehr gut. Danke mein Herr! Now I can start obsessing about it again. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2017, 02:37:38 PM »

Wow, this sounds great! Love how they kept it dry like the original. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

BTW - was the general consensus that it's Carl singing lead in the chorus?

Seems pretty clear now that it's Brian, just slowed down!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »

Seems pretty clear now that it's Brian, just slowed down!

Is that confirmed? I always thought it was Carl until the brief falsetto bit made me wonder.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx