gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aren't You Glad (2017 Stereo Mix) up on youtube!  (Read 26255 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

It's an excellent remix and Mike's vocal is outstanding.  Hit me right away.

For those wishing for a punchier sound - that's a function of it being a midrange-centered recording.  You put more treble on there and it's just not going to be the WILD HONEY sound.  It's a midrangey record, and that's where the instruments have the most natural sound in this mix.  They've done an incredible job getting the elements in good separation and clarity without screwing too much with the vibe.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:38:36 PM by adamghost » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »

I mentioned in another post that Mike's voice on Wild Honey is perhaps the least R&B flavored as he's sung on any album. Which is ironic because Mike was known as the more heavy R&B vocal guy in the band. On WH, it's Carl mostly, followed by Brian, who are doing the more expected R&B "belting" in their vocals. Mike went for a more intimate and softer baritone style, and I think Mike sounded terrific on a cut like AYG. It's some of his best vocals, on one of my favorite tracks in the band's catalog. I think what they also nailed was that contrast between Mike and Brian, that fastball of having two lead voices on a track with different ranges. It's the fastball used devastatingly on "Kiss Me Baby", "When I Grow Up", etc. There is a special quality to having that sound on a record.

Listen for the falsetto voice doubling the horn phrase after the chorus. That got buried in the original track. But it's a killer part, a small touch but a killer touch. That's Brian doing what he would do later on Do It Again, matching the "Underwater" melody hook in falsetto. And of course the Baldwin hitting those low growl notes in the intro, it was there but hardly noticeable on the mono mix. It jumps out of this one.

An all time classic BB track, a personal favorite. Great to see it released this way.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:00:22 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »

wow just wow this sounds amazing, I'm pumped I can hardly wait til next friday!!!
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »

Well, despite my above post, couldn't help myself and listened to the reposted video. It's wonderful!
ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 10:20:19 PM »

The response vocal in the chorus is a bit too quiet in my opinion, but otherwise it sounds great. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
orange22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »

It sounds wonderful.

Although Mark could've used a few more limiters to match the Sgt Pepper's remix. Cool

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2017, 04:25:03 PM »

Seems pretty clear now that it's Brian, just slowed down!

Is that confirmed? I always thought it was Carl until the brief falsetto bit made me wonder.

I'm hearing:

"Today could be a lot of fun ..." - Mike

"I got a heart ..." - Brian

"Aren't you glad now darlin ..." - Carl

"Tell me, tell me you know what I mean ..." - Al and/or Brian

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »

I always thought the "Tell me you know what I mean" sounded like Dennis.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2017, 06:35:45 PM »

Always thought it was Carl there, but I'm leaning towards it being Brian slowed down after hearing it in this quality.

Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/smilead/arent-you-glad-brian-chorus
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 06:36:13 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »

I think it is Carl because of that very last "ah oh", it sounds too wavey (can't describe it in any other way) in timbre compared to Brian's at that range.  Break Away's demo has Brian at that similar range in the chorus and he just sounds different to me... 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2017, 07:24:57 PM »

Sometimes you can pick out Carl because he had trouble pronouncing hard R's so it would sound like Aren't You Glad now Dahlin.  That is usually my give away but it's so hard to tell there.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »

Always thought it was Carl there, but I'm leaning towards it being Brian slowed down after hearing it in this quality.

Check it out:

Wtf how did you do this and can you promise you will do this to more tracks when they're released?

Man I miss those days when your Smile tracks were the talk of the board. Glad to see there's now more material for you to tinker with!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »

Check it out:

I think this might be closer to the original speed if your theory is correct: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/arent-you-glad-chorus
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »

Check it out:

I think this might be closer to the original speed if your theory is correct: https://soundcloud.com/smileyhoneyfriends-1/arent-you-glad-chorus

Nailed it buddy!

Is this 1 semitone up?

I went back and forth between 1 & 2. For some reason 1 still sounded a little slow to me, but I think you hit it on the head!!

Wtf how did you do this and can you promise you will do this to more tracks when they're released?

Man I miss those days when your Smile tracks were the talk of the board. Glad to see there's now more material for you to tinker with!

Hey man, how are ya? Man, I miss those days too! Can you believe that was 5+ years ago? Great times. Let's see if there's anything interesting to do with the new set!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 07:44:04 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »

Check it out:

Nailed it buddy!

Is this 1 semitone up?

I went back and forth between 1 & 2. For some reason 1 still sounded a little slow to me, but I think you hit it on the head!!

It's exactly 7% faster, so a bit more than one semitone?  The human voice has a certain characteristic when the speed is changed, and I think that's the closest I can get it to Brian's natural timbre.

I do think it's most likely Brian and not Carl.  It seems like they were actively experimenting with speeding up or slowing down vocals around this time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »

Seems pretty clear now that it's Brian, just slowed down!

Is that confirmed? I always thought it was Carl until the brief falsetto bit made me wonder.

I'm hearing:

"Today could be a lot of fun ..." - Mike

"I got a heart ..." - Brian

"Tell me, tell me you know what I mean ..." - Al and/or Brian

The tell me tell me sounds like Brian to me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »

Hearing it might be Dennis definitely caused my ears to further prick up at that section. Regardless of whether or not it is him, I'm more aware/appreciative of the texture of the vocal at that point Grin (I think it being Dennis is a possibility)

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2017, 05:03:12 AM »

Although Mark could've used a few more limiters to match the Sgt Pepper's remix. Cool

Good reminder of how this could have sounded like an overcompressed mush
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »

Check it out:

Weird ... that actually sounds like Al to me! But I think my vote still goes to Carl. Really interesting vocals on this record.

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2017, 12:37:38 PM »

The part under discussion has to be Carl. Haha I wonder if we could use speed variations to make each Wilson sound like another Wilson with other songs?  LOL
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2017, 02:00:13 PM »

My vote goes for Carl too. But it is amazing how much Brian, Carl, Al, and sometimes even Mike sound like each other on WH, which is part of the charm of the album for me.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

I'm surprised not too many hear it! I'd bet money that it's BW. Stuck out to me like a sore thumb first time I listened to the remix.

Food for thought (and though it doesn't prove anything): if it's Carl singing the chorus, why didn't he reprise it in live performances?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »

I'm surprised not too many hear it! I'd bet money that it's BW. Stuck out to me like a sore thumb first time I listened to the remix.

Food for thought (and though it doesn't prove anything): if it's Carl singing the chorus, why didn't he reprise it in live performances?

Same reason both Carl and Dennis sang "Help Me, Rhonda" Smiley

... but seriously, the vocals on this album are so unusual compared to other BB records. "How She Boogalooed It" could be any of them, for example!

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »

I always assumed that in the live arrangement Carl sang Brian's studio part and Al sang Carl's studio part.
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »

I don't believe I've logged onto this message board in literally over ten years...

and I've come all the way back so I could find this thread and ask if anyone else is bothered that the piano in this stereo mix doesn't fade for the last measure of the intro like it does in the mono mix.

I'll post again in 2028. Be good, everyone; glad you're all well.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx