gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:53:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson comp coming with "Run James Run" unreleased track.  (Read 23494 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2017, 06:10:37 PM »

No  really just wish they had put out something that was mostly unreleased tracks.  Would you not find that more desirable?

56 years into this band and people still don't get the concept behind a "Best of" compilation? They're meant for casual fans/consumers, and as just an extra piece of promotion for the artist.

Of course fans want unreleased stuff, and complaining about the lack of more archival releases for BW and the BBs has usually been justified over the years.

But it makes no sense to complain that *this particular* Brian release isn't all or mostly unreleased tracks. It's a friggin' "best of" compilation! The only reason it has the two bonus tracks is so that hardcore fans will *also* be roped into buying a collection of songs they otherwise already own.
I think it's a nice-looking set, and if I hadn't just -- just! -- bought BW88, this would actually be the perfect set for me. I know Love and Mercy and the BWPS, Gershwin and NPP tracks, and have just started digging a little deeper into Brian's solo catalog. At this point I think I'm probably on the road to buying all the individual albums, but there's certainly a place for a set like this.

This is a good sample as everything but IJWMFTT and his Xmas album are represented. 

For my money, you cant go wrong with TLOS.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:54 PM »

What are the Griffin sessions?

More than an albums' worth of oldies that Brian and various members of his band recorded at Gary Griffin's house in the late oughts. Foskett, Bennett and Gary are heavily featured. Endless Summer Quarterly published a rundown a year or so ago. None of the material has leaked, as far as I know. And as much as it pains me to say it, apparently we aren't missing much.
but i want it anyway

Did it say what the songs were that were recorded?

Yes. I don't want to cut in on David Beard's turf here, though -- you can still buy a copy of the NPP-themed ESQ that contains the info if you want. It's only $10. The piece in question is only a page. If David wants to put the info here or clear it for release, that's his prerogative.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:28:32 PM by Wirestone » Logged
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 06:53:08 AM »

I would have preferred "Heigh Ho" to Colors of the Wind, Imagination deserves to be on it, and there's lots of uncollected solo singles and plenty more Andy Paley songs worthy of release.  Could have been a double disc easily.  Maybe Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart will have some bonus tracks on an exclusive?

Bonus tracks from some outlet (or multiple outlets) are possible. A second disc with scattered rarities might be nice, although a larger boxed set sort of presentation for Brian's solo rarities and outtakes would probably be preferable.

If forced to pick something off the Disney album, I probably would have gone with "Colors of the Wind."
I would've gone for "Kiss the Girl" personally
Agree 100%, Billy. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 06:53:46 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but wait a sec; Someone can't quote a few lines from an old issue of ESQ, with proper source citation? Does ESQ own that list of songs or something? Why would they have to "clear" facts and information for release?

I'm not saying someone should scan the whole issue or article and post it here (although, MANY old and new articles have been posted here precisely like that), but I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with citing information from a source, as in "according to the such-and-such issue of ESQ, Brian recorded the following songs..."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »

"56 years into this band and people still don't get the concept behind a "Best of" compilation? They're meant for casual fans/consumers, and as just an extra piece of promotion for the artist".

Oh, I understand the concept, I just don't think there will be much of an audience for this release, while concurrently thinking there would a be quite a bit more interest in releasing unreleased stuff.  Don't think there will be that many "casual fans/consumers" buying this release.  A very niche audience, one would think...

Plus it propagates the usual b.s. tactic of including a couple of unreleased tracks, so fans will again have to buy stuff they already own.  That seems to be life as a fan of this band though nowadays.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »

Part of me wonders if this is an intended as testing the market waters for a potential extensive Brian Wilson solo box set. Seeing if there's enough consumer demand for the creation of an MIC-style box set of Brian Wilson solo stuff.

I think it's *inevitable* that such as box set will be released, but it's a matter of when, how extensive it will be, whether it will be physical media or digital-only, etc. This feels like a sampler of it. I can almost see a future box set that simply collects the entire solo discography (not just bits and pieces); each album in its entirety, along with several discs of completely unreleased material.

Since numerous different record labels were involved, I wonder how hard this would be to get off the ground. I think if this upcoming comp actually sells well, then it could bode well for something like this happening sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:18:28 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »

I want the Griffin sessions!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »

"56 years into this band and people still don't get the concept behind a "Best of" compilation? They're meant for casual fans/consumers, and as just an extra piece of promotion for the artist".

Oh, I understand the concept, I just don't think there will be much of an audience for this release, while concurrently thinking there would a be quite a bit more interest in releasing unreleased stuff.  Don't think there will be that many "casual fans/consumers" buying this release.  A very niche audience, one would think...

Plus it propagates the usual b.s. tactic of including a couple of unreleased tracks, so fans will again have to buy stuff they already own.  That seems to be life as a fan of this band though nowadays.

It's the first ever more or less career-spanning Brian solo compilation. There's an audience for it. It's not going to burn up the charts (most Brian solo albums don't), but it'll sell well enough for what it is. And it's not made for the niche "Brianista" market. It's made for the fans that know enough to, say, buy a ticket to a Brian show, but are casual fans that don't ardently collect his solo albums. It's essentially the broad/casual audience within the scope of "Brian" fans. It's not as if fandom consists of either hardcore boot collectors or fans that know "Barbara Ann" and "Kokomo" and nothing more.

As far as the two unreleased tracks, they'll probably be able to be purchased on their own as digital downloads on Amazon (and will probably be up on YouTube for free), and can be listened to on Spotify, etc.

Now, given Brian's indie cred, it's not impossible that a "Bedroom Tapes" sort of set or boxed set could outpace a "Best of" compilation in the long run. There's definitely room for both on the market.

I'm guessing they just saw Brian's 75th birthday as a marketable angle to finally do a "best of." I'm not going to pat them on the back for doing it, but the proof will be in the next year or two as far as whether a new team at BRI (and in Brian's camp) will be able to do some substantive archival releases. We've been hearing for over 20 years now that the "hits compilations help pay for the archival releases", and that usually doesn't seem to be so true. But a "best of" compilation certainly doesn't preclude archival releases happening, and all of the group and solo compilations and archival releases can all contribute to epic marketing synergy if the right folks are allowed to do their thing. Let's hope.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »

Not to derail the thread, but wait a sec; Someone can't quote a few lines from an old issue of ESQ, with proper source citation? Does ESQ own that list of songs or something? Why would they have to "clear" facts and information for release?

I'm not saying someone should scan the whole issue or article and post it here (although, MANY old and new articles have been posted here precisely like that), but I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with citing information from a source, as in "according to the such-and-such issue of ESQ, Brian recorded the following songs..."

I'm sure it can be done, but Wirestone probably doesn't want anything to sever his relationship with David. And posting that information could be seen as a knock at a publication that has already gone through some tough financial times.  

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »

Part of me wonders if this is an intended as testing the market waters for a potential extensive Brian Wilson solo box set. Seeing if there's enough consumer demand for the creation of an MIC-style box set of Brian Wilson solo stuff.

I think it's *inevitable* that such as box set will be released, but it's a matter of when, how extensive it will be, whether it will be physical media or digital-only, etc. This feels like a sampler of it. I can almost see a future box set that simply collects the entire solo discography (not just bits and pieces); each album in its entirety, along with several discs of completely unreleased material.

Since numerous different record labels were involved, I wonder how hard this would be to get off the ground. I think if this upcoming comp actually sells well, then it could bode well for something like this happening sooner rather than later.

It's hard to draw a straight line between the sales of a BW "best of" and an epic boxed set. There's potentially not a ton of overlap between the two buying populations for those releases. I don't think "Playback" is going to burn up the charts, as I mentioned in the last post. But it'll do fine for what it is. But if they're looking for it to be a hit in order to justify opening up the archives, that ship sailed long ago. They need to realize the archive has inherent value in and of itself, and the archive itself justifies being released.

The "Playback" compilation probably needed very little in terms of licensing. I don't know which albums Brian has full ownership of, versus which ones are still licensed to one label, versus which are owned by a label. But all of the following is either owned by Brian or a Warner subsidiary:

BW '88
Imagination
Smile
Gettin' In Over My Head

So that accounts for 10 of the tracks right there.

Brian owns the Roxy album, so that's 2 more, so we're up to 12.

He also likely owns the two outtakes, so that gets us to 14 of the 18 tracks.

It's really just the last four tracks, one each for NPP, TLOS, Disney, and Gershwin, that aren't for sure either owned by Brian or Warner. Brian owns the NPP track, but it may still be under exclusive license to Capitol. At worst, Rhino (also a Warner label) had to license two tracks from Capitol and two tracks from Disney.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

It's the first ever more or less career-spanning Brian solo compilation. There's an audience for it. It's not going to burn up the charts (most Brian solo albums don't), but it'll sell well enough for what it is. And it's not made for the niche "Brianista" market. It's made for the fans that know enough to, say, buy a ticket to a Brian show, but are casual fans that don't ardently collect his solo albums. It's essentially the broad/casual audience within the scope of "Brian" fans. It's not as if fandom consists of either hardcore boot collectors or fans that know "Barbara Ann" and "Kokomo" and nothing more.

As far as the two unreleased tracks, they'll probably be able to be purchased on their own as digital downloads on Amazon (and will probably be up on YouTube for free), and can be listened to on Spotify, etc.

Now, given Brian's indie cred, it's not impossible that a "Bedroom Tapes" sort of set or boxed set could outpace a "Best of" compilation in the long run. There's definitely room for both on the market.

I'm guessing they just saw Brian's 75th birthday as a marketable angle to finally do a "best of." I'm not going to pat them on the back for doing it, but the proof will be in the next year or two as far as whether a new team at BRI (and in Brian's camp) will be able to do some substantive archival releases. We've been hearing for over 20 years now that the "hits compilations help pay for the archival releases", and that usually doesn't seem to be so true. But a "best of" compilation certainly doesn't preclude archival releases happening, and all of the group and solo compilations and archival releases can all contribute to epic marketing synergy if the right folks are allowed to do their thing. Let's hope.

Agreed. Honestly I don't see the harm in this release at all. Would I rather a Bedroom Tapes release come out? 1000% absolutely. But this comp could also help Brian gain some new fans and rekindle the fandom for others. It's a good track list, and hopefully its a prelude to some archival releases down the road. If there is an archival release planned it would only make sense for a Best Of compilation to precede it; the more people interested in Brian's music the more will buy an archival set.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2017, 10:56:53 AM »

I'm sure it can be done, but Wirestone probably doesn't want anything to sever his relationship with David. And posting that information could be seen as a knock at a publication that has already gone through some tough financial times.  

I totally get it; I just think it's way too extreme to question posting one single piece of information rather than a full article or a full issue, etc. It's also not like this is a brand-new issue on the stands. It's seemingly nearly decade-old information imparted in an article that's at least a couple years old. I don't see a problem with just listing songs mentioned in an article.

I certainly hope posting a short list of songs mentioned in an old issue of ESQ, while properly citing the source, which is all acceptable by any legal or moral or ethical standard I can think of, would damage anybody's relationship with the publisher.

One of the best things about this board is the sharing and discussion of information like this, so I'm thrown for a loop by the idea of withholding a simple piece of information from an old article. One wouldn't think twice here about saying "An article in Goldmine magazine last year mentioned Brian recorded the following five songs..." 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:02:23 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »

I totally get it; I just think it's way too extreme to question posting one single piece of information rather than a full article or a full issue, etc. It's also not like this is a brand-new issue on the stands. It's seemingly nearly decade-old information imparted in an article that's at least a couple years old. I don't see a problem with just listing songs mentioned in an article.

I certainly hope posting a short list of songs mentioned in an old issue of ESQ, while properly citing the source, which is all acceptable by any legal or moral or ethical standard I can think of, would damage anybody's relationship with the publisher.

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud. Perhaps it was more of a favor to ESQ to help them garner some business.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »

Yeah, I was just thinking out loud. Perhaps it was more of a favor to ESQ to help them garner some business.

Perhaps, I totally get you. But I'm not sure anyone wants to pay $10 or more for a back issue of the magazine to get one factoid.

More than anything, I just want folks who maybe aren't sure of what they can or should post to know that there should be nothing wrong with citing a print article and mentioning a fact that the article mentioned.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »

Just to be clear -- I don't have a relationship with David, beyond knowing who he is and buying a few issues of ESQ.

But it's important to note that this page of info I'm talking about is literally just a list of song titles and musician credits. No deep insights, no background. But without ESQ reporting about it, I doubt that we'd know such sessions ever took place. I've already talked a bit about the credits. Perhaps I'm making too much of it all, and I don't mean to be a jackass to anyone -- including HeyJude.

I can say, given that I had it confirmed elsewhere, that they recorded Mr. Tambourine Man. With Brian playing drums on the keyboard.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2017, 04:24:16 PM »

That sounds amazing! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »

That sounds amazing! Grin

I was fairly reliably informed that it didn't.  Shocked
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »

Just to be clear -- I don't have a relationship with David, beyond knowing who he is and buying a few issues of ESQ.

But it's important to note that this page of info I'm talking about is literally just a list of song titles and musician credits. No deep insights, no background. But without ESQ reporting about it, I doubt that we'd know such sessions ever took place. I've already talked a bit about the credits. Perhaps I'm making too much of it all, and I don't mean to be a jackass to anyone -- including HeyJude.

I can say, given that I had it confirmed elsewhere, that they recorded Mr. Tambourine Man. With Brian playing drums on the keyboard.

You're definitely not being a jackass, thanks for explaining. And that does sound like an intriguing Dylan cover...I mean, some of Brian's stuff sound far less than stellar to some fans and that same material is also regarded as sacred to others. Would love to hear it one day!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »

Brian experimenting is always a must listen.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2017, 11:48:10 PM »

Brian experimenting is always a must listen.

Most definitely

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx