gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:22:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson comp coming with "Run James Run" unreleased track.  (Read 23497 times)
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »

This was posted on a music related board I frequent (you need a username and login to see posts). Looks like we'll get the first official release of Some Sweet Day and the Run, James, Run song (NOT Pet Sounds) that Al was hyping around the time of the NPP sessions.

I copy and pasted. Sorry if formatting is wonky:

Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology CD

“Time jumps and sometimes time lands,” Brian Wilson wrote in his 2016 memoir, I Am Brian Wilson.
Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology is vivid proof this singular musical icon—who has come through more than his share of challenging times—has been able to spend the past three decades continuing and extending one of the most significant legacies in all of popular music history.

In the first part of his illustrious life in music, Wilson stood at the artistic center of one of rock ’n’ roll’s most iconic groups, The Beach Boys.

There are any number of compilations that document all the fun, fun, fun and art, art, art of that remarkable body of work.

Now with Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology, we all get a chance to celebrate what could be considered the Second or Possibly Third Coming of Brian Wilson. This man—once written off by some prematurely as a musical casualty—has instead flourished and become one of the most uplifting survival stories of our times.

The Brian Wilson Anthology covers a notable period of renewal that started with the release of Wilson’s first solo album, 1988’s Brian Wilson.

Featured here are four of that acclaimed effort’s standout tracks, including the eight-minute symphonette “Rio Grande,” “Melt Away,” “Let It Shine” (written and coproduced with Jeff Lynne) and last, but hardly least, “Love And Mercy,” which has become known as one of Wilson’s most beloved classics. Indeed, “Love And Mercy” has gradually taken on such a meaningful place in Wilson’s legendary songbook that it was even used as the title of the acclaimed 2014 biopic that saw Wilson memorably played by both Paul Dano and John Cusack.

From Wilson’s 1998 Imagination album, this anthology includes two beautiful highlights, “Cry” and “Lay Down Burden,” the latter of which honors Brian’s late, great brother and fellow Beach Boy Carl Wilson, who died of lung cancer that same year.

In the wake of Imagination, Brian started to tour extensively as a solo artist, and by 2000 this icon, who famously stopped touring with The Beach Boys back in the ’60s, was proving to be a somewhat unlikely road warrior, even releasing his first live solo album, Live At The Roxy Theatre.

Beyond a strong set list that included lots of familiar hits and even a cover of The Bakenaked Ladies tribute song “Brian Wilson,” Live At The Roxy Theatre also featured some new material in “The First Time” and “This Isn’t Love,” a charming collaboration with Wilson’s Pet Sounds lyricist, Tony Asher.

Wilson’s next studio release, 2004’s Gettin’ In Over My Head, was a poppy, star-studded affair. Here you’ll find that album’s title track along with what is arguably Gettin’ In Over My Head’s finest and most moving song, “Soul Searchin’.” The track was built around a vocal recorded by Carl Wilson years earlier, allowing these two Wilson brothers to be reunited on one more magnificent song for the ages.

Ultimately, though, it was another 2004 album release that would mark a transcendent and long-delayed moment to remember in Brian Wilson’s illustrious creative life: Brian Wilson Presents Smile. This Grammy-winning release saw Wilson finally bringing to life the unfinished album that he had so famously failed to complete with The Beach Boys nearly 40 years earlier.

Bringing Smile back to life had started with a live reinterpretation of the album at the Royal Festival Hall in London on February 20, 2004, followed by other rapturously received live concert performances. And so it was that Wilson’s brave decision to revisit what was arguably his most painful failure became one of his greatest successes.

Inspired by that healing experience, Wilson and his amazing ten-piece touring band, as well as a ten-piece string section and an acoustic bassist, finally recorded and released a studio version of this long-lost masterpiece. Two of the many highlights of Brian Wilson Presents Smile are included here: “Surf’s Up” and “Heroes And Villains.”

Wilson’s positive creative energy from so successfully revisiting Smile could be felt on his next album, 2008’s conceptual That Lucky Old Sun. Included here is “Midnight’s Another Day,” not the sunniest song from the album, but one of the most haunting melodies on a collection full of lovely compositions.

Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin, from 2010, was a memorable meeting of musical minds, with Brian bringing a fresh take to many of the Gershwins’ greatest contributions to the American Songbook, as well as completing two unfinished songs, including “The Like In I Love You.”

A year later, Wilson released In The Key Of Disney, which saw him recording his own distinctive arrangement of songs from Disney films. Featured here is Brian’s sensitive and moving take on Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz’s “Colors Of The Wind,” from Pocahontas.

Then in 2015, Wilson released No Pier Pressure, a strong album with a clear autobiographical streak and some notable collaborations. On this collection is the romantic and melodic “One Kind Of Love,” which was featured on the Music From Love & Mercy soundtrack album that same year.

Beyond all these assorted gems from over the past three decades, Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology also features two previously unreleased tracks: “Some Sweet Day,” which builds its own classic Wall of Sound, and “Run James Run,” a title some Brian scholars might recall was considered for the song “Pet Sounds,” with its slight James Bond theme song feel. This “Run James Run” was written and produced by Brian and Joe Thomas, and includes wonderful high background vocals from Matt Jardine, Al Jardine’s son and clearly a chip off the old block.

Taken as a whole, this song cycle stands as a welcome reminder that Brian Wilson’s true musical genius endures, offering us a new and altogether welcome reason to listen again and smile. In the end, Playback: The Brian Wilson Anthology is testament to the fact that after all he’s come through and all he’s given us through his lifetime in music, Brian Wilson actually was made for these times.

Love & Mercy
Surf’s Up
Heroes & Villains
Melt Away
Let It Shine
Some Sweet Day
Rio Grande
Cry
Lay Down Burden
The First Time
This Isn't Love
Soul Searchin'
Gettin' In Over My Head
The Like In I Love You
Midnight’s Another Day
Colors Of The Wind
One Kind Of Love
Run James Run

Audio CD (September 22, 2017)
Label: Rhino/Warner Bros.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »

Whoa

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »

Well jimmy crack corn, he's putting out an oldies album after all.  What, no Proud Mary?

Seriously though, one wonders who will buy this...most of the cult already owns this stuff.....
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:07 PM »

I will buy it  Grin Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »

Brian's the greatest! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Scaroline No
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:06 PM »

Thanks for sharing Smiley

Googled and found this:

https://www.nika.si/Pop__Pop/The_Brian_Wilson_Anthology/

(It's the same write-up as posted above, but the photo for what looks like the cover is nice   )
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 01:11:39 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

Can't wait to hear Run James, Run!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 01:16:06 PM »

For years now folks have been doing "Best of Brian" tracklisting wishlists, and I always figured whatever we got would be a weird hodgepodge (of still great music of course). This one looks interesting. Obviously most interested in the two "new" tracks.

Cool to see "Let It Shine."

The only super glaring omission I can think of is "Your Imagination." That one seemed like a no-brainer. No "Sail Away" is a bit surprising, and perhaps something else from "That Lucky Old Sun."

I probably would have tacked on "This Whole World" from the '95 IJWMFTT album. But I wouldn't have expected that one to be included.

Looks like they tried to cram as much as they could on one disc and touch on just about every album. "Rio Grande" ends up taking up a fair amount of space as well.

Will also be interesting to see if any of these solo tracks make in into upcoming live setlists, especially the September/October North American dates.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:20:46 PM »

Apparent cover art:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 01:26:49 PM »

Only a placeholder page right now, but it's listed on Amazon (CD and 2-LP):

https://www.amazon.com/Playback-Brian-Wilson-Anthology/dp/B071KHBB35/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »

Apparent cover art:

Love that photo

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »

Fascinating track listing.

Questions include:

1.) What version of L&M? Original, INWMFTT remake, charity single remake or random live version?

2.) Will some Sweet Day be reworked or remixed in some way? (Random aside: That's perhaps my top unreleased BW track, so I am thrilled to see it coming out).

3.) Who expected both of the Live at the Roxy originals to be included?

4.) Shoild we interpret this as BW wrapping things up, recording wise? I wonder ...
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »

Cool news. "Some Sweet Day" is a good'un.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »

Worth noting that the word on the Pet Sounds forum last year was that this compilation was going to include a new Wilson/Asher song. Looks like that didn’t work out?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:02:26 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
FredGroman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »

Well jimmy crack corn, he's putting out an oldies album after all.  What, no Proud Mary?

Seriously though, one wonders who will buy this...most of the cult already owns this stuff.....

MRMikeisthegreatest [your user name makes me laugh!], I think fans who want Run James Run and a concise compilation of Mr. Brian's songs will buy this!

Worth noting that the word on the Pet Sounds forum last year was that this compilation was going to include a new Wilson/Asher song. Looks like that didn’t work out?

In my experience some of the members there who claim to know things do not know much at all!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »

Well, dog my cat, one seriously wonders when myKe luHv's Best Of Roll Eyes will hit the market with a bullet Wrinkles and all. Will it scorch the charts like SIP did?  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 04:48:25 PM »

MRMikeisthegreatest [your user name makes me laugh!], I think fans who want Run James Run and a concise compilation of Mr. Brian's songs will buy this!

In my experience some of the members there who claim to know things do not know much at all!
I don’t disagree, although the poster (bgas) did successfully ‘call’ that this compilation was coming out (and through Rhino).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:48:56 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »

Well, dog my cat, one seriously wonders when myKe luHv's Best Of Roll Eyes will hit the market with a bullet Wrinkles and all. Will it scorch the charts like SIP did?  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Him being a moron is the greatest! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

I hope This Isn't Love has vocals.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:41 PM »

If it is the version from the Live at the Roxy CD, it will

ThreeCats
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 07:29:03 PM »

I'm still hoping for an official release of all the finished (or almost finished) Paley session tracks, but for now I'll take Some Sweet Day.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

Well this is a surprise. Perhaps it was brought up some time ago that there was gonna be some type of Brian compilation, but I can't remember.

Regardless, super cool to see that "Some Sweet Day" and "Run James Run" are getting released.

By the way, I coulda sworn that I remember Al speaking of "Run James Run" in a way that implied it was "a car song" that he sang, and while the press release mentions his son's vocals, it doesn't mention Al. Perhaps this is a version with a Brian lead instead? I suppose we will find out.

Shoild we interpret this as BW wrapping things up, recording wise? I wonder ...

I know....this makes me wonder as well. It would put a bow on it. Although McCartney put out the Pure McCartney set last year which covered his solo/Wings/Fireman years and yet he has a new album coming out later this year. And from the sounds of it, Brian still wants to do his rock 'n roll album. And for some reason, I truly do believe his next studio album will be a rock 'n roll album. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:26:33 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »

Wonder if Some Sweet Day is the version that's been booted or a rerecorded version. ..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:05:30 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 06:15:58 AM »

Generally speaking, "best of" compilations don't spell the end of a career, however much the occasional rock star has griped about it.

Indeed, McCartney did "Wings Greatest" in 1978, "All The Best" in 1987, "Wingspan" in 2001 or whenever that was, and then "Pure McCartney" most recently.

I don't think Brian has 25 more years of recording in him, and I can't imagine a scenario where we wouldn't end up counting on one hand the number of new albums full of original material from this point on that we see from him in his lifetime. But I also don't see any reason why this compilation spells the end of his recording career. I think "way late to the 'best of' game" is far more likely than "just a bit early to the career-capping final compilation."

Brian already has a few dates booked for May of next year. So *if* he ends up not doing more studio work, it won't be due to lack of fortitude or energy, because he has been a work horse out on tour.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2017, 06:24:40 AM »

Fascinating track listing.

Questions include:

1.) What version of L&M? Original, INWMFTT remake, charity single remake or random live version?

2.) Will some Sweet Day be reworked or remixed in some way? (Random aside: That's perhaps my top unreleased BW track, so I am thrilled to see it coming out).

3.) Who expected both of the Live at the Roxy originals to be included?

4.) Shoild we interpret this as BW wrapping things up, recording wise? I wonder ...

The press release seems to pretty strong imply we're getting the original '88 version of "Love and Mercy."

I would have to guess "Some Sweet Day" will at least be newly mixed, and there's a decent chance that even if it's the Paley version used as a base, and even if Brian hasn't don't any new recording on it recently, he may have futzed with it in the intervening 20 years or so (e.g. the '99 lead vocal on "You're Still a Mystery").

"Live at the Roxy" was an important album in Brian's career I suppose, and Brian owns that album outright and doesn't have to pay to license the tracks from anyone, so I guess it's not too surprising. I am surprised, though, that both "new" tracks from that album made it onto this new CD while "Your Imagination" was ignored.

I also think, while it may have led to some snags in the clearance/licensing department because it's co-billed, they should have tried to at least get "Orange Crate Art" on the set. That song and album is an important part of Brian's "early" solo career as well.

I left my thoughts on the prospect of Brian wrapping things up in my previous post; I tend to doubt it while acknowledging that even in a relatively hyper-productive recording scenario we're unlikely to get a *ton* of additional Brian albums. But I could picture his album or oldies covers or something else coming out next year.

What Brian and BRI *should* work on next is a nice boxed set of, very, very loosely defined "Bedroom Tapes" from the 70s through to the 80s or 90s, essentially a decades-spanning solo Brian version of "The Smile Sessions."

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx