gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:42:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson comp coming with "Run James Run" unreleased track.  (Read 23505 times)
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »

From the press release: (Brian), who famously stopped touring with the Beach Boys in the 1960s..."

Excuse me? How about some of 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, some of 1982, 1983..."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »

From the press release: (Brian), who famously stopped touring with the Beach Boys in the 1960s..."

Excuse me? How about some of 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, some of 1982, 1983..."

Well, he did stop touring in the 60s. He eventually started up again, but it's just never going to be convenient to succinctly explain how and when Brian was in the touring band within a single sentence or so in the context of a new album press release. Other than a 4-5 year span in the late 70s/early 80s, and the 2012 tour, his full time touring band tenure did end in the mid 60s.

It wouldn't hurt to say something like "who stopped touring in the mid 60s and only briefly rejoined in the late 70s and early 80s." But if the idea is 100% accuracy, then it would turn into a muddled explanation where Brian only toured for part of the 1976 tour, was *generally* full time 1977 to 1981 (though he missed some shows now and then), was sporadically there in 1982, only occasionally there in 1983, and then made random short-term appearances from 1984 through 1990 and again in 1995 and 1996.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »

rumor down in nashville has it that RJR is a new rocker! its a song about jeff beck's collection of 32 deuce  coupes. much of it  was recorded during the jeff beck sessions or at least inspired by those sessions. al may have sung on the demo, but brian is now singing the lead alone!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »

rumor down in nashville has it that RJR is a new rocker! its a song about jeff beck's collection of 32 deuce  coupes. much of it  was recorded during the jeff beck sessions or at least inspired by those sessions. al may have sung on the demo, but brian is now singing the lead alone!

Jeff Beck may have been a total dick in the aftermath of the 2013 tour, but I still want to hear the stuff he did with Brian (and Al). Jason Fine's description of a couple of the tracks sounded quite tantalizing, including Beck's guitar over wordless vocal harmonies including Al.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:38 AM »

key word for me is INSPIRED! if brian is into this and was motivated to rock out, with or without jeff I'm happy and can't wait to hear this!
Michigander2122
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »

This is the most exciting news I've heard in awhile. I would buy the CD just to hear Run James Run. The fact that there are some vintage tracks along with it, is just a bonus! Maybe Brian is releasing his Rock & Roll album one new track at a time.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2017, 09:22:11 AM »

The Second Disc has a nice write-up: https://theseconddisc.com/2017/06/love-and-mercy-rhino-collects-solo-brian-wilson-for-new-anthology-premieres-two-songs/

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »

I would have preferred "Heigh Ho" to Colors of the Wind, Imagination deserves to be on it, and there's lots of uncollected solo singles and plenty more Andy Paley songs worthy of release.  Could have been a double disc easily.  Maybe Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart will have some bonus tracks on an exclusive?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:09 AM »

I would have preferred "Heigh Ho" to Colors of the Wind, Imagination deserves to be on it, and there's lots of uncollected solo singles and plenty more Andy Paley songs worthy of release.  Could have been a double disc easily.  Maybe Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart will have some bonus tracks on an exclusive?

Bonus tracks from some outlet (or multiple outlets) are possible. A second disc with scattered rarities might be nice, although a larger boxed set sort of presentation for Brian's solo rarities and outtakes would probably be preferable.

If forced to pick something off the Disney album, I probably would have gone with "Colors of the Wind."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 10:47:51 AM »

If allowed to do just slight reprogramming, I probably would just ditch a couple (maybe one or both of the Roxy tracks perhaps) and add "Your Imagination" and "Sail Away."

What would/could a second "bonus" disc look like? (Keeping a somewhat "objective" voice here and not just picking my personal favorites):

Your Imagination
Sail Away
This Whole World (from IJWMFTT)
Love and Mercy (from IJWMFTT)
Walking Down the Path of Life
Orange Crate Art (if it could be licensed)
San Francisco (if it could be licensed)
City Blues (hopefully remixed drastically)
Desert Drive
Wonderful/Song For Children/Child is Father of the Man
Going Home
Message Man
This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight
It's Not Easy Being Me (Previously Unreleased)
Gettin' In Over My Head (Original Version; Previously Unreleased)

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »

I would have preferred "Heigh Ho" to Colors of the Wind, Imagination deserves to be on it, and there's lots of uncollected solo singles and plenty more Andy Paley songs worthy of release.  Could have been a double disc easily.  Maybe Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart will have some bonus tracks on an exclusive?

Bonus tracks from some outlet (or multiple outlets) are possible. A second disc with scattered rarities might be nice, although a larger boxed set sort of presentation for Brian's solo rarities and outtakes would probably be preferable.

If forced to pick something off the Disney album, I probably would have gone with "Colors of the Wind."

I would've gone for "Kiss the Girl" personally

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »

I would have preferred "Heigh Ho" to Colors of the Wind, Imagination deserves to be on it, and there's lots of uncollected solo singles and plenty more Andy Paley songs worthy of release.  Could have been a double disc easily.  Maybe Amazon/Target/Wal-Mart will have some bonus tracks on an exclusive?

I would've gone for "Kiss the Girl" personally

I should definitely roll back through the Disney album again; I remember "Colors of the Wind" being one of the only tracks that really super-perked up my ears. "Baby Mine" was a nice soothing rendition as I recall.

"Colors of the Wind" just struck me as being the closest on the album to sounding like something you could envision on a "regular" Brian album, in some universe where the songs aren't all immediately familiar as Disney songs.

timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »

I like all of the suggestions.  I have two additions, one obvious at least to me. Your Imagination and one less obvious in One For The Boys. I am curious why no-one has mentioned the latter. am I missing something? it seems very heart felt very Brian, and especially with what I have read about Brian saving songs only for the Beach Boys, very true to Brian's thoughts
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

I'll obviously buy it as a fan and collector..  but man, we need more than 1 "That Lucky Old Sun" song.
That album is a masterpiece.

And yes, Brian needs a solo rarities comp too. 

Michigander2122
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »

"Whatever Happened" would have been my choice from NPP. I believe its Brian's best song in years! 
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »

One thing in regards to the TLOS tracks - it would be a hassle for the producers/compilers/whomever to have to go back to the original digital multitracks and remix/create new fadeouts for many of those songs because of their suite nature. Most of them are not hard-edited, they flow into one another.

Of course we all have our preferences, I'd have chosen mostly different tracks than these - but then again, when passionate fans are asked to create a best-of, they never quite look like what gets released....

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »

I liked my own 18 track listing better.  Grin

I made my own custom track listing a while back.  I omitted any duets, covers, or Beach Boys re-recordings including any of Smile (anyone interested in Brian's solo career should hear all of Smile anyways) and included a few non-album gems.

1. Love and Mercy
2. Melt Away
3. Let It Shine
4. This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight
5. Your Imagination
6. Lay Down Burden
7. Happy Days
8. This Isn't Love
9. Gettin' In Over My Head
10. Live Let Live (Arctic Tale)
11. Midnight's Another Day
12. Going Home
13. Southern California
14. What Love Can Do
15. The Like In I Love You
16. Nothing But Love
17. One Kind of Love
18. The Last Song

It is cool that we're getting two new songs though.  I do think they should have included "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" and "What Love Can Do" as those are two really good songs that have never been on an album, same for the alternate version of "Live Let Live" which I prefer to the album version.  "Colors of the Wind" is the only selection that makes me scratch my head.  It's a nice recording but I wouldn't call it a highlight of Brian's solo career, or even the best track from that album (which I will say is underrated).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:25:15 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 01:12:05 PM »

Brian mentioned CotW in his book and mentioned he liked it, for what it's worth

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »

If I were programming a compilation, I'd probably lean towards staying away from live tracks and cover versions (of himself or others). But that was always the rub with coming up with a "original studio albums only" compilation, because all of a sudden then there's still only about 5 albums to work from (not including OCA): BW '88, Imagination, GIOMH, TLOS, and NPP.

I could be totally off and some desk jockey came up with the track listing, but it seems like it's possible Brian hand picked a lot of these tracks. It does kind of seem a bit like a mini version of McCartney's "Pure McCartney" where some obvious tracks were missing and some weird ones were in their place.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »

The main challenge with any Brian Wilson compilation is going to be "Rio Grande." If you don't include it, you're leaving out one of his top five solo compositions. If you do include it, you vaporize three other tracks.

They went with it, and I think it alters the chemistry of the whole production. I mean, anyone is going to agree on the core of a BW comp, right? If you include BWPS, which you kind of have to, you're going to get the following tunes that also appear on the Playback tracklist.

-- Love and Mercy
-- Melt Away
-- Lay Down Burden
-- Heroes and Villains
-- Surf's Up
-- Midnight's Another Day
-- One Kind of Love

So you have a big chunk already selected. Add Rio Grande, which as I said is the key decision for any one-disc compilation, and you have eight songs, and more than half of the album filled. At that point, you have to start making difficult decisions.

-- Let It Shine -- Brian has shown some appreciation for this in the past, and it's a nice tune. Skews the record toward BW88, but why not.
-- Some Sweet Day -- Arguably the best unreleased BW solo song, this doesn't just deserve release IMO -- it deserves to be on a best of. Great pick.
-- Cry -- This is the point that this album arguably stops at any attempt of being a "greatest hits" album and instead reveals itself to be more of a personal selection or songwriter's best record. Because "Your Imagination" is a clear pick for such a compilation. It even charted, for goodness' sake (as did 'Deck the Halls' IIRC). Still an amazing song.
-- The First Time and This Isn't Love -- I'm there for the second, but not the first. If you're doing it to represent the touring years, I suppose they both make sense, but TFT is just a bit plodding for me.
-- Soul Searchin' and Gettin' In Over My Head -- Something from GIOMH needed to appear, and you could do worse than these two. I would have avoided SS, myself, given that the BB version finally appeared on Made in California. GIOMH is one of the finest compositions of BW's solo years, though, and deserves a spot on quality alone.
-- The Like in I Love You -- Again, you need a Gershwin album track. But which one? I might have preferred "I Loves You Porgy," but maybe that was too weird.
-- Colors of the Wind -- Ditto for the Disney album, and this is one of BW's finest solo vocals.
-- Run James Run -- Nice to get a NPP outtake!

So what's left off?

-- Your Imagination. A great shame.
-- Anything from IJWMFTT or OCA. Understandable, perhaps, but I would use the latter's version of "Melt Away."
-- This Song Wants to Sleep With You.
-- Anything from the Christmas album.
-- More from TLOS, although I wonder if the omnipresent co-writer and co-producer credits of a former band member contributed to that. For that matter, there's the fraught situation with Van Dyke, which might have prevented LLL appearing.
-- What Love Can Do
-- More from NPP, including "Sail Away," "Whatever Happened," and "The Last Song."

But as I said, it's all about decisions and narrative. And with Rio Grande there, tough decisions follow.

And now that I've mentioned it, song publishing rights might play a considerable role as well. Consider the writing credits for the 18 tracks (assuming Paley for Some Sweet Day and Thomas for Run James Run).

1, 4, 8, 10 are all credited to BW solo.
6, 7, 12, 13 are BW/Paley
14, 15 and 17 are BW/Bennett (with Gershwin on one of those)
2, 3 are to BW/VDP
10, 18 are BW/Thomas
5 is BW/Jeff Lynne
11 is BW/Asher
16 is non BW

Basically, it seems as though some effort has been made to keep Van Dyke, Joe or the nameless former band member from having too many co-writes on the anthology, while maximizing the number from Brian. Just a thought!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:37:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »

The main challenge with any Brian Wilson compilation is going to be "Rio Grande." If you don't include it, you're leaving out one of his top five solo compositions. If you do include it, you vaporize three other tracks.

They went with it, and I think it alters the chemistry of the whole production. I mean, anyone is going to agree on the core of a BW comp, right? If you include BWPS, which you kind of have to, you're going to get the following tunes that also appear on the Playback tracklist.

-- Love and Mercy
-- Melt Away
-- Lay Down Burden
-- Heroes and Villains
-- Surf's Up
-- Midnight's Another Day
-- One Kind of Love

So you have a big chunk of the album already selected. Add Rio Grande, which as I said is the key decision for any one-disc compilation, and you have eight songs, and more than half of the album filled. At that point, you have to start making some difficult decisions.

-- Let It Shine -- Brian has shown some appreciation for this in the past, and it's a nice tune. Skews the record toward BW88, but why not.
-- Some Sweet Day -- Arguably the best unreleased BW solo song, this doesn't just deserve release IMO -- it deserves to be on a best of. Great pick.
-- Cry -- This is the point that this album arguably stops at any attempt of being a "greatest hits" album and instead reveals itself to be more of a personal selection or songwriter's best record. Because "Your Imagination" is a clear pick for such a compilation. It even charted, for goodness' sake (as did 'Deck the Halls' IIRC). Still an amazing song.
-- The First Time and This Isn't Love -- I'm there for the second, but not the first. If you're doing it to represent the touring years, I suppose they both make sense, but TFT is just a bit plodding for me.
-- Soul Searchin' and Gettin' In Over My Head -- Something from GIOMH needed to appear, and you could do worse than these two. I would have avoided SS, myself, given that the BB version finally appeared on Made in California. GIOMH is one of the finest compositions of BW's solo years, though, and deserves a spot on quality alone.
-- The Like in I Love You -- Again, you need a Gershwin album track. But which one? I might have preferred "I Loves You Porgy," but maybe that was too weird.
-- Colors of the Wind -- Ditto for the Disney album, and this is one of BW's finest solo vocals.
-- Run James Run -- Nice to get a NPP outtake!

So what's left off?

-- Your Imagination. A great shame.
-- Anything from IJWMFTT or OCA. Understandable, perhaps, but I would use the latter's version of "Melt Away."
-- This Song Wants to Sleep With You.
-- Anything from the Christmas album.
-- More from TLOS, although I wonder if the omnipresent co-writer and co-producer credits of a former band member contributed to that. For that matter, there's the fraught situation with Van Dyke, which might have prevented LLL appearing.
-- What Love Can Do
-- More from NPP, including "Sail Away," "Whatever Happened," and "The Last Song."

But as I said, it's all about decisions and narrative.

And now that I've mentioned it, song publishing rights might play a considerable role as well. Consider the writing credits for the 18 tracks (assuming Paley for Some Sweet Day and Thomas for Run James Run).

1, 4, 8, 10 are all credited to BW solo.
6, 7, 12, 13 are BW/Paley
14, 15 and 17 are BW/Bennett (with Gershwin on one of those)
2, 3 are to BW/VDP
10, 18 are BW/Thomas
5 is BW/Jeff Lynne
11 is BW/Asher
16 is non BW

Basically, it seems as though some effort hasp been made to keep Van Dyke, Joe or the nameless former band member from having too many co-writes on the anthology, while maximizing the number from Brian. Just a thought!

All good and interesting points, and I think this disc being a showcase for Brian as a songwriter as much as a performer is something to keep in mind as well.

I think your break down supports that this thing couldn't have been done a whole lot better, only different. Having pondered it for awhile longer now, I still think "Your Imagination" is the only true "WTF?" exclusion. Other things seem like they could have fit well ("Orange Crate Art" especially if they could have cleared it). I can take or leave "What Love Can Do." Some of the XMas albums songs are good recordings/performances, but they're rarely going to stick an XMas song on a single-disc compilation. I'm curious if they wanted to go light on non-Brian vocal performances, hence less NPP material?

I went back a few hours ago and re-listened to "Some Sweet Day" for the first time in eons. I like it, more than I remember. I do think there are other better unreleased Brian tracks (chief among them being another Paley track, "It's Not Easy Being Me", which almost seems too good to hide on a "best of" compilation"), and I would have loved to see them sub in the original superior Paley version of "Gettin' in Over My Head."

I also agree the BB version of "Soul Searchin'" puts the 2004 version to shame, and they could have nixed that on this BW disc and subbed in "Desert Drive" or something.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »

Also noticed in listening to the extant version of "Some Sweet Day" that Brian, as expected, has that mid 90's "Paley Sessions" voice quality, one that was erased and replaced with a more smooth "Imagination"-ish 1999 lead vocal for "You're Still a Mystery."

I'm curious if "Some Sweet Day" will have a new lead recorded at some point in the intervening years, or if we're just going to be a much better-sounding version of what already circulates.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 02:04:36 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/music/brian-wilson-plots-career-spanning-191448516.html

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

For anyone who hasn't heard "Some Sweet Day" before, well here's the bootleg version:

https://youtu.be/FHt_LQBfZ-Y?t=2411

It is decidedly average.  Hopefully BW re-recorded this and made it worthwhile.  A souped-up version of "Chain Reaction of Love" might have been more appealing to me.   

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2017, 06:03:14 PM »

For anyone who hasn't heard "Some Sweet Day" before, well here's the bootleg version:

https://youtu.be/FHt_LQBfZ-Y?t=2411

It is decidedly average.  Hopefully BW re-recorded this and made it worthwhile.  A souped-up version of "Chain Reaction of Love" might have been more appealing to me.   

100% AGREED.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx