gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monterey Pop Festival  (Read 17301 times)
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2017, 12:33:28 PM »

[img width=466 height=350]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/bbh2_zpsrvhwk5k8.jpg]

In Hawaii Jim Lockert engineered, Bill Halverson and Dale Manquen assisted.

So disappointed there isn't enough of a push for the album from Capitol.
I'm dying to transfer the 16mm original footage to hi-def.
These shots came from a really poor transfer for American Band many, many years ago
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:16 PM »

BW is rocking the prototype of his 2017 Hawaii look! Cool

I know, right? That first picture he looks like his modern day self with a wig...I did a doubletake

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »

[img width=466 height=350]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n295/guitarfool2002/bbh2_zpsrvhwk5k8.jpg]

These shots came from a really poor transfer for American Band many, many years ago

How many hours do you think you might have of BB-related 16mm (and 8mm, etc.) footage? Perhaps a Kickstarter sort of thing to fund the HD transfer of the footage for a Blu-ray release could be done. I'd gladly pay in some money for a Blu-ray, and perhaps, and since I'm guessing some or most of it doesn't have sound (or even if it does), the perfect complement could be a "Commentary" track from you and maybe Howie Edelson?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »

Those Hawaiian clips are great in American family. Imagine them in HD! Smokin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2017, 06:52:58 PM »

That's where I ripped them from, and a fairly poor quality transfer of AB at that. It was all that was available. I went frame by frame when I was researching the Hawaii concerts and other 66-67 recording studio history looking for clues and other hidden images. In the AB film those scenes of the recording setup I clipped are blink and miss. But what was on there turned out to be what was - to my knowledge - the only available visual record of Jim Lockert actually working with Brian and the band either recording or mixing in '67. It was also some of the only known footage of Jim Lockert period, apart from various photos of him in the old UA newsletters. Very few people knew what Jim actually looked like, and there hiding in the AB doc was film of him working that custom Frank DiMedio board which Heider had shipped to Hawaii for the concerts, at that time the most state of the art mobile recording rig available in LA. Historic stuff.

I second the hope that someday this footage and the other surrounding footage like the reel of Brian at Western mixing with Chuck on 8 track will be transferred to HD. It needs to be seen. Recall that the Western footage also revealed that Brian was indeed running 8 tracks at Western with Chuck at a time when it was assumed he was only working at Columbia with 8 track tape machines.

Another frustration is that years ago, somehow a full unedited clip of the Hawaii 16mm film showing mostly the concert shots mysteriously appeared on one of the standard stock footage repository sites. It had a time code strip, but it looked like a full run of the Hawaii film footage. There was also other BB related material on the same stock footage site, but the Hawaii material was key. I was still on a dialup connection where I was, and ripping it wasn't too easy. When I went back to look again, it had been removed. And it hasn't been seen since.

It seemed like the raw footage edited into the AB project somehow got uploaded as stock footage to this site, then the choice material like Hawaii 67 was pulled down. I always wondered how that all came to be.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

That's where I ripped them from, and a fairly poor quality transfer of AB at that. It was all that was available. I went frame by frame when I was researching the Hawaii concerts and other 66-67 recording studio history looking for clues and other hidden images. In the AB film those scenes of the recording setup I clipped are blink and miss. But what was on there turned out to be what was - to my knowledge - the only available visual record of Jim Lockert actually working with Brian and the band either recording or mixing in '67. It was also some of the only known footage of Jim Lockert period, apart from various photos of him in the old UA newsletters. Very few people knew what Jim actually looked like, and there hiding in the AB doc was film of him working that custom Frank DiMedio board which Heider had shipped to Hawaii for the concerts, at that time the most state of the art mobile recording rig available in LA. Historic stuff.

I second the hope that someday this footage and the other surrounding footage like the reel of Brian at Western mixing with Chuck on 8 track will be transferred to HD. It needs to be seen. Recall that the Western footage also revealed that Brian was indeed running 8 tracks at Western with Chuck at a time when it was assumed he was only working at Columbia with 8 track tape machines.

Another frustration is that years ago, somehow a full unedited clip of the Hawaii 16mm film showing mostly the concert shots mysteriously appeared on one of the standard stock footage repository sites. It had a time code strip, but it looked like a full run of the Hawaii film footage. There was also other BB related material on the same stock footage site, but the Hawaii material was key. I was still on a dialup connection where I was, and ripping it wasn't too easy. When I went back to look again, it had been removed. And it hasn't been seen since.

It seemed like the raw footage edited into the AB project somehow got uploaded as stock footage to this site, then the choice material like Hawaii 67 was pulled down. I always wondered how that all came to be.

Man, I love your dedication and research!  Only wish the years hadn't frustrated me, and maybe then I'd have pulled together a documentary of my own by now...

As to your "frustration", I can explain.  My deal with Malcolm Leo, re: American Band, was to copy a certain number of minutes of my archival footage, but he was limited in the number of minutes he could use.  And our contract was a limited use license, that extended only to home video use.  (The contract was violated almost immediately, when he briefly released it as a feature!  But that's another story, for another day.)
Several years ago, I saw someone post a clip of footage that I own the rights to, albeit with time code.  I tracked down the source, and found that they were licensing several things, not just Beach Boys, for Malcolm.  I immediately contacted him, and he very quickly had everything taken down.  (I think he had hoped that I had disappeared forever...  guess what, I ain't going anywhere...  I'm here for the long haul).

Hope this helps alleviate your frustration, keep up the good work, and hang in there.  These things will eventually see the light of day.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2017, 10:31:20 AM »

Now that's some interesting stuff!
How much of the Hawaii shows did you film, Ed?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2017, 08:15:52 PM »

Ed met Dennis in oct 1968 when they played the Fillmore. He didn't film the Hawaii footage. He was just explaining that Malcolm leased a lot of footage including 1970s films that he shot-for example the American band documentary has the footage ed shot of Dennis to promote Pacific Ocean blue in 1977.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:34 AM »

Ah ok, thanks. Misunderstood that

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RP50
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2017, 11:08:39 AM »

Just read the set lists. At least a Beach Boys song got played that weekend. Johnny Rivers opened with "Help Me Rhonda."

Desper, Do you Remember part of the setlist intended?

COMMENT to Beach Boys Collection: 

For the complete set list I refer you to this link >>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival_(set_list)

For information on bands that accepted and performed AND for bands that were invited but declined or no-shows, I refer you to this link >>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival

~swd

Stephen- I think he meant the full setlist the BB had planned to play had they played the show.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

The footage of Brian at Western with 8 track - do we have a date for that film?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

The footage of Brian at Western with 8 track - do we have a date for that film?

Not an exact date yet - But this link and some old links quoted there give the whole story as far as trying to do detective work on that Western film and trying to pinpoint a more exact date using the still frames I posted.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23292.25.html

It could be late November into December 1966 based on Carl reading that German magazine cover dated Sept '66, as the band had just returned from their European tour including stops in Germany...or it could be January '67 when all the studio activity picked up on a more regular basis. Or it could be earlier, around the time of the GV promo filming, maybe October '66.

It really is a mystery!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »

Having now listened to the Lei'd in Hawaii-album, I will say what I have said with regards to the Hawaii shows for a while: I think such a set would probably have gone on very well for the Beach Boys. Probably wouldn't have hurt if they were a little cleaner and rehearsed and of course have Bruce + Brian with them. But yes, I can see them doing fine. Imagine what it must've been like to have the Beach Boys in all their vocal glory singing this version of "God only knows" on stage.

Now, those shirts.... Cheesy I think the outfits they wore at rehearsals were good enough:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:14:42 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx